Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
6 hrs ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thir13en Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$24.96
18 hrs ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Come and See (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II (Blu-ray)
$12.96
13 hrs ago
The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.08
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #1

Feb 2019
Default Why is DTS:X so unpopular compared to Dolby Atmos?

With Bluray, things are pretty even between DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. But with UHD, it's not even a competition. From what I read, DTS:X has better specs and royalty-free components.
Why hasn't DTS:X taken off the same way Atmos did?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgentinian View Post
With Bluray, things are pretty even between DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. But with UHD, it's not even a competition. From what I read, DTS:X has better specs and royalty-free components.
Why hasn't DTS:X taken off the same way Atmos did?
It's a matter of a studio on which audio codec they choose to encode on their theatrical and home video soundtracks. Dolby and SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound) were the first companies that were utilize for movies but, Dolby Laboratories became the dominate codec for theatrical and home videos movie releases.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

speaking for myselfI like DTS:X many of their mixes have been strong and made good use of all speakers in my system and sound great. it's not unpopular to me, DTS:X or ATMOS, as long as it sounds good, I like it.

Now, I'm sure, "Ol'Boy" will be by here posting soon, so I'm gonna til then!
Thanks given by:
evoll (10-09-2019), Zoland2020 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
Special Member

Oct 2017
Clarksville, TN

Probably because DTS:X being maxed out at 7.1.4 was kind of a deal-killer to most studios, they found Dolby Atmos to be easier to implement on Blu-ray (and UHD Blu-ray) than DTS:X mostly due to its compression that allows Atmos to have many objects around the track. Now while I've certainly enjoyed most of the DTS:X tracks, let's be real DTS:X is a little bit more limited in terms of having object placement. From what I've seen from DTS, they couldn't find a way to expand DTS:X higher than 7.1.4 because they couldn't get the objects to work correctly for some unknown reason. In the end it is what it is I guess. Most studios prefer Dolby Atmos more because again, the home version of Dolby Atmos is perfectly compatible with the theatrical Atmos mix whereas the home version of DTS:X isn't 100% compatible with the theatrical DTS:X mix. Anything I've missed feel free to correct me if necessary.
Thanks given by:
Dirk504 (03-14-2020), Felix_ro (12-15-2019), TheArgentinian (10-09-2019)
Old 03-13-2020, 03:33 AM   #5

Apr 2007
australia

Ha, the word Atmos probably sounds better. To be honest I have no preference. Itís just business. Will be interested to see what sound track the new 4K LOTR and hobbit movies get. Most likely DTSx if itís anything to go on what they previously had.They both sound equally good to me without splitting hairs.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

It didn't help that many of the mass-market level soundbars with Atmos support only had Atmos alone, and not DTS X. That's thankfully being remedied now.

The number of overhead channels being capped at 4 is largely irrelevant IMO to all but the most ardent home cinema enthusiast with the money and the space to let rip with speakers.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #7

Apr 2013

For me it's because DTS X uses front heights and Atmos can use Top Heights, which is what I have.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2009
Jackson, MS

I've heard both great and sub-par mixes for both formats on my 7.2.4 system, so I don't really have a preference.

What will be interesting to see is what the next-gen game consoles will use for sound.

You can already enable Atmos on Xbox One, so it's practically a given that the Series X will be Atmos-ready. But will it support DTS:X as well?

The question is what will Sony, given that they've been pushing DTS:X lately with their "IMAX Enhanced" UHDs, do for the PS5?
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

honestly - I've yet to hear a DTS-X immersive audio mix that sounds as good 'The Matrix' or 'The Fifth Element' which has dozens of sound cues that don't seem bound to speakers but placed within the phantom spaces between the speakers.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (03-14-2020), Scarriere (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 11:50 PM   #10

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
honestly - I've yet to hear a DTS-X immersive audio mix that sounds as good 'The Matrix' or 'The Fifth Element' which has dozens of sound cues that don't seem bound to speakers but placed within the phantom spaces between the speakers.
I was thinking about the last part of your comment the other day while rewatching Patriots Day. While I would say it was a highly effective mix, I noticed it was lacking in imaging between main and top layers....but that was my only complaint as the rest of it was spot on.

Along with Patriots Day, I would have to say that the Bourne series, Harry Potter series, Crimson Peak, London Has Fallen, and Lone Survivor all have 5 star DTS X mixes. I am now curious however if they too are lacking with phantom images between layers.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:14 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
I was thinking about the last part of your comment the other day while rewatching Patriots Day. While I would say it was a highly effective mix, I noticed it was lacking in imaging between main and top layers....but that was my only complaint as the rest of it was spot on.

Along with Patriots Day, I would have to say that the Bourne series, Harry Potter series, Crimson Peak, London Has Fallen, and Lone Survivor all have 5 star DTS X mixes. I am now curious however if they too are lacking with phantom images between layers.
okay I will admit, HP: Azkaban's DTS-X mix is damn impressive.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #12

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
okay I will admit, HP: Azkaban's DTS-X mix is damn impressive.
Easily the best in that series.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion