Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.33
4 hrs ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Frozen II 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.55
12 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Maximum Overdrive (Blu-ray)
$21.60
4 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Valhalla Rising (Blu-ray)
$19.89
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 03-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
United States
Default Atmos: Worth it or Not?

Currently, I have a standard 5.1 setup. I haven't had the opportunity yet to hear a setup with Atmos and I'm wondering if it has really taken off or is more a 3DTV gimmic, destined to fall away. Is Atmos used as extensively and as effectly as regular surround. Is it subtle or aggressive in general.....worth the price of addition? I'd have to buy a Marantz SR-8012 to replace my old SR-7009, so I can still be able to use two of the amps to biamp the fronts for when listening to music. I have Paradigm Monitor 11v7's in the front and Monitor 9v7's in the rear. If I was going to add 4 height channels, say from SVS or Klipsch, would there be an issue with timbre matching? I kinda doubt it, I'm thinking it's more like being able to buy any manufactures sub and it works well with what one has, but never-the-less wanted some feedback on my all questions.....

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
socal

I don't have Atmos, but i heave heard a proper setup before with 2 front firing front and 2 in the back. So a total of 9 speakers! It was absolutely insane how each speaker would have it's own identity. I only watched JOHN WICK 4K with it but like I said it was insane.

So I would say totally worth it if you want the full capability of audio soundtracks /experience in HD.

Me Personally have no problem with a good old 5.1 DTS X soundtrack lol. Atmos is awesome for sure though.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

No, it's certainly not a gimmick..I have a Dolby Atmos / DTS:X setup, and I love it. The overhead channels are basically used for atmospheric and ambience sound effects. Once you hear it, you're going to be hook. I don't know where you're located but, if there is a local specialized home theater dealer (besides Best Buy) where they may have a Dolby Atmos demo room, you can go there and listen to it and when you do, you may not want to leave.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
Illinois

I’d definitely upgrade to Atmos. I have a 7.1.4 setup and the height channels really add a lot of immersion. I don’t think Atmos sound is going anywhere so your investment will be well worth it.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #5

Apr 2012
OK USA
-
-
-

I was one of the early adopters of Dolby Atmos (2015) and to me it is totally worth it. The height channels just give another dimension to the sound track of a movie. It is really cool when aircraft fly right over your head.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:54 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
USA

I have a 5.1.2 setup (with 2 subs), and I have to say it is totally worth it. Just finished watching Midway, and that will be one of my go to reference discs.

Last edited by chad_1138; 03-07-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #7

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_1138 View Post
I have a 5.1.2 setup (with 2 subs), and I have to say it is totally worth it. Just finished watching Midway, and that will be one of my go to reference discs.
I was talking to a friend the other day bringing up Midway as something that would be pretty painful to watch on an iPad, as it certainly has some flaws with casting, pace, and editing. However, if you have a system that takes advantage of the sonic goodness of the movie, you will have a smile on your face and welcome it into your collection...and pull it out to demo often. On a side note, the trailer to Greyhound launched yesterday, so let me be the first to predict we will talking about the audio in that whenever that is released for us to do some structural damage to our homes.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
Currently, I have a standard 5.1 setup. I haven't had the opportunity yet to hear a setup with Atmos and I'm wondering if it has really taken off or is more a 3DTV gimmic, destined to fall away. Is Atmos used as extensively and as effectly as regular surround. Is it subtle or aggressive in general.....worth the price of addition? I'd have to buy a Marantz SR-8012 to replace my old SR-7009, so I can still be able to use two of the amps to biamp the fronts for when listening to music. I have Paradigm Monitor 11v7's in the front and Monitor 9v7's in the rear. If I was going to add 4 height channels, say from SVS or Klipsch, would there be an issue with timbre matching? I kinda doubt it, I'm thinking it's more like being able to buy any manufactures sub and it works well with what one has, but never-the-less wanted some feedback on my all questions.....

Thanks!
I would personally try and go with Paradigm speakers for your height channels. I can't speak from experience but there are probably chopper and jet flyovers if the speakers are not matched I would think that over head effects would sound odd, IMO.

Last edited by Canada; 03-23-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
I was talking to a friend the other day bringing up Midway as something that would be pretty painful to watch on an iPad, as it certainly has some flaws with casting, pace, and editing. However, if you have a system that takes advantage of the sonic goodness of the movie, you will have a smile on your face and welcome it into your collection...and pull it out to demo often. On a side note, the trailer to Greyhound launched yesterday, so let me be the first to predict we will talking about the audio in that whenever that is released for us to do some structural damage to our homes.
I saw that too, looks very good and if done right, will be a sonic ATMOS treat; our subs (pun intended) are gonna be in trouble with Greyhound! I wonder how it will stack up in the HT against 1917.

man, 3 big really good video/audio war movies ( Midway, 1917 & Greyhound) all getting todays technological treatment for the HT. good time to be UHD/DV/HDR/ATMOS ready!

on a side note, when will we get some Master & Commander with remastering up to UHD/DV/HDR/ATMOS!?!

oh and yes, for me, ATMOS is worth every penny. when your setup is right and you get a good mix, IT'S F'ING MAGIC!
Thanks given by:
gotmule (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
I saw that too, looks very good and if done right, will be a sonic ATMOS treat; our subs (pun intended) are gonna be in trouble with Greyhound! I wonder how it will stack up in the HT against 1917.

man, 3 big really good video/audio war movies ( Midway, 1917 & Greyhound) all getting todays technological treatment for the HT. good time to be UHD/DV/HDR/ATMOS ready!

on a side note, when will we get some Master & Commander with remastering up to UHD/DV/HDR/ATMOS!?!

oh and yes, for me, ATMOS is worth every penny. when your setup is right and you get a good mix, IT'S F'ING MAGIC!
High fives all around... if you can swing it, go Atmos, 7.1.4 here and loving it...

I still haven't gotten over trailers that have trailers... what gives? Greyhound was no where on my radar, looks good... will now go downstairs and watch U-571 to prepare
Thanks given by:
gotmule (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

5.1.2 here as front up-firers.

It's not obvious, but it creates a subtle bubble that makes it sound more organic and not coming from set speakers. I don't listen to much native Atmos content, but I upscale surround and 5.1 using it. Given that you can install up-firers without much effort or space why not? You don't have to install a full discrete Atmos setup to get at least some of the added experience. It's flexibility means it's surely here to stay, definitely not just a gimmick.

I bought Focal Sib Evo's - lovely piece or kit, essentially very high quality compact speakers (the Atmos integrated ones are bigger, but not huge for those short on space) and Atmos as easy as plug and play if you have a compatible receiver. I'm happy with the core 5.1.2 pack, but you can add 2 extra Atmos-enabled speakers to get 7.1.4.

Last edited by oddbox83; 03-08-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Thanks given by:
crutzulee (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

I have 5.1.2 and Atmos is awesome. Makes viewing more immersive. Something like A Quiet Place will have you thinking someone is on your roof lol.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #13

Sep 2014
Toronto

Count me as someone who was more than happy with my 10 year old 7.1 system thinking that ATMOS/DTS X was a gimmick.
When the price of the ONKYO receives dropped to ridiculously low levels, it just became stupid not to upgrade. Having older PARADIGM speakers all around meant that it cost nothing to source out matching speakers for the new height channels..
IMHO, the people here describing hearing discrete effects coming from the new channels are missing the boat and doing it wrong..
Having timberally matched speakers and upgrading to ATMOS/DTS X has meant that properly encoded soundtracks reveal sounds placed within a bubble of sound within the room. It's hard to describe but it is certainly no gimmick. It's the real deal and definitely worth the upgrade.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

It's worth it. I also have a 5.1.2 set-up but will probably upgrade to a 5.2.2 set-up down the line.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:45 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post

Thanks!
It's amazing! I don't think your Paradigm will match up well with Klipsch though. Paradigm is a pretty warm sound while Klipsch can be pretty bright.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:34 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
I was talking to a friend the other day bringing up Midway as something that would be pretty painful to watch on an iPad, as it certainly has some flaws with casting, pace, and editing.
No movie shouldn't be watched on a iPad, Cellphone, tablet or any small portable device. Movies are made to be presented on a big screen, to emulate the full theater experience. A person can't get that on a iPad
Thanks given by:
gotmule (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #17
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
No movie shouldn't be watched on a iPad, Cellphone, tablet or any small portable device. Movies are made to be presented on a big screen, to emulate the full theater experience. A person can't get that on a iPad
^ This

multiplied by a trillion.

Oh, and Atmos is 100% worth it!
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #18

Feb 2010

Quote:
Preach. I would even add to that comment, certain tv shows as well. A peer at work was watching the first season of Jack Ryan on his phone listening to the phone’s speakers while he was on his lunch. I shamed him in public (rightfully so) as that show along with many others deserve to be viewed and experienced the right way.

Last edited by gotmule; 03-22-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:26 AM   #19
hengwin

Default Worth it

Defiinitely upgrade to atmos, it is worth the price.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
You are certainly welcome to your opinion and I may even share it, but I think it is a very narrow minded opinion on how entertainment should be consumed. Watching a movie or a tv show is a personal thing, if someone doesn't place the same value in the technical merits of it as you do it doesn't make them wrong for watching it on a portable device.

I know I've had plenty of wonderful experiences sharing a tv show or a movie with my wife in my arms while we relax on a couch or in bed and I wouldn't want that taken away from me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion