Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thir13en Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$24.96
18 hrs ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Come and See (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II (Blu-ray)
$12.96
13 hrs ago
The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.08
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #801

Oct 2019

the 'refurbished' region free sony s1700 from 220's ebay store arrived today. works great. came in the original box, which was a little beat up, but the player, remote and components were in perfect condition. very pleased so far
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (Today)
Old 02-29-2020, 12:48 AM   #802
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014
Ruggsville County

I finally want to make the plunge into being region free. Are there any good blu-ray players out there in the $50-$100 range? I'm not looking for anything spectacular, I just wanna watch region B discs. The main one I'm looking at rignt now is this one since it's been brought up in the thread a bunch lately: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-BDP-S1...B/232556431648 but if there are ones cheaper than that out there that are good then I'd probably go with one of those.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:04 AM   #803
Banned

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmKoala View Post
I finally want to make the plunge into being region free. Are there any good blu-ray players out there in the $50-$100 range? I'm not looking for anything spectacular, I just wanna watch region B discs. The main one I'm looking at rignt now is this one since it's been brought up in the thread a bunch lately: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-BDP-S1...B/232556431648 but if there are ones cheaper than that out there that are good then I'd probably go with one of those.
None significant cheaper than that refurb item. The only items I know that were cheaper aren't available anymore and most certainly was less sturdy-- the old Seiki SR4KP1 that was as little as $30-50

If you don't need WiFi or 3D capability, the little Sony is hard to beat. I think I've seen some LG or Samsung about the same or a little cheaper, but I'm not a big fan of either brand of player.

It's possible you could get a very basic Region B dedicated player a little cheaper or certainly a decent used player for less.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:19 AM   #804
Special Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Anyone know anything about this unit?

https://www.220-electronics.com/lg-b...ay-player.html
Old 03-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #805
Special Member

Aug 2009

albabe trusted reviews says a good basic player as long as you don't have a big DVD collection
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/lg-bp550

$40 for the all region blu-ray is good
Thanks given by:
albabe (03-03-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #806

Jan 2010

Has anyone ever had issues with a region B blu ray with a modded region free player? I got a region free X800M2 from 220 Electronics and when I tried playing the UK blu ray of The House that Jack Built I got this weird noise on the image.
https://imgur.com/a/fP3pg47

I tried a couple other region B blu rays I have and they were fine. Is this probably just a bad disc then or is something else going on?
Old 03-03-2020, 05:04 AM   #807
Banned

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post
Has anyone ever had issues with a region B blu ray with a modded region free player? I got a region free X800M2 from 220 Electronics and when I tried playing the UK blu ray of The House that Jack Built I got this weird noise on the image.
https://imgur.com/a/fP3pg47

I tried a couple other region B blu rays I have and they were fine. Is this probably just a bad disc then or is something else going on?
Sounds like a disc problem. Noise/Artifacts shouldn't be part of a mod issue and only affect a certain disc.
Thanks given by:
bytor (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #808
Special Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
albabe trusted reviews says a good basic player as long as you don't have a big DVD collection
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/lg-bp550

$40 for the all region blu-ray is good
Thanx stratford!

I Read the Review - Not sure what you mean by "as long as you don't have a big DVD collection..." My Wife and I have a YOOGE DVD Collection. It says "The LG also does a fine job when upscaling DVDs...' Am I missing something?

Do you have any recommendations?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #809
Special Member

Aug 2009

alabe ref 'Do you have any recommendations?' if my oppo 203 was written of tomorrow, I'd investigate a panasonic 820 or 9000
Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #810
Power Member

May 2015

Been region-free for over three years and very happy with my trusty Sony S1500RF.

However, I have a question: As Oppo no longer makes BD players, is there a consensus on the brand/model currently considered the best "high end" modded option?
Thanks given by:
hagios (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #811

Mar 2018

Okay all finally buying a region free player....and there are a few choices for my price range. I will not be doing 4K. But will be played thru a projector. All these will be 3D players as well since I plan on getting some 3D movies from England and Asia. I also could care less about the streaming part of any of these.

Samsung BD-J5900 - $219
Panasonic DMP-BDT270 - $219
Sony BDP-S6700 - $209
Sony BDP-S6500 - $199

I was going to the Samsung as I am already familiar with Samsung and have a lot of their equipment. However I was also thinking the Sony as I might like to try another company and see how their 3D players compared to the Samsung. Also I can play PS3 games (which I most likely won't do).

Any suggestions.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #812
Power Member

Apr 2014
United States

Love my region-free UDP203. It's a tank.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #813
Special Member

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regislive View Post
Okay all finally buying a region free player....and there are a few choices for my price range. I will not be doing 4K. But will be played thru a projector. All these will be 3D players as well since I plan on getting some 3D movies from England and Asia. I also could care less about the streaming part of any of these.

Samsung BD-J5900 - $219
Sony BDP-S6700 - $209
Sony BDP-S6500 - $199

I was going to the Samsung as I am already familiar with Samsung and have a lot of their equipment. However I was also thinking the Sony as I might like to try another company and see how their 3D players compared to the Samsung. Also I can play PS3 games (which I most likely won't do).

Any suggestions.
I own the 6500 and the 270. The 270 has an option that allows you to push the 3D depth. This actually helped with Godzilla 2 which IMO had crappy 3D, the 270 made it significantly better. That being said, the 270 looks slightly washed out compared to the 6500 IMO. It's just not as vibrant. It's not terrible or something I'd say you have to avoid, it's just not as rich in color to my eyes. I prefer watching movies on the 6500 and usually only watch region locked discs on the 270 or stuff with weak 3D. I think there are complaints about crushing on Sony's or something (I don't know, I've never seen these problems) so you might want to look into that. The other thing I should mention is that I haven't tweaked any of the color settings (if there are any) on these machines, I did that on my projector, so my personal comparison is based on default player settings with the exception of the 3D depth level option.

I also own a Samsung 5100, it's not on your list but I'll assume it's comparable to a 5900. That is nice player with nice picture quality as well. I've watched the first Star Trek (of the current reboot) and the first Transformers on all 3 and I prefer the picture of the 5100 for those movies. I haven't watched anything else on all 3 as the 5100 isn't 3D and I don't really care about comparing flat stuff.

I find that 3D depth varies per machine, so I find that using default settings on both the Sony and Panasonic I get different 3D experience using the same movie. That's why I can compare those 2 machines a lot, as I do it when I'm not happy with 3D on the Sony. On average the Sony gives a better default 3D picture to me, but I can't adjust on that machine (or I haven't found a way).

I can't speak on Samsung or LG 3D players as I don't own any

The PS3 is another option. It's dual voltage, so if you import a Region B PS3 you don't need to buy a voltage convertor. You can also mod a PS3 using software to become region free for Blu Ray and DVD as well. You can look online for that

Last edited by pixote; 03-25-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
Regislive (03-25-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 03:09 AM   #814

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixote View Post
I own the 6500 and the 270. The 270 has an option that allows you to push the 3D depth. This actually helped with Godzilla 2 which IMO had crappy 3D, the 270 made it significantly better. That being said, the 270 looks slightly washed out compared to the 6500 IMO. It's just not as vibrant. It's not terrible or something I'd say you have to avoid, it's just not as rich in color to my eyes. I prefer watching movies on the 6500 and usually only watch region locked discs on the 270 or stuff with weak 3D. I think there are complaints about crushing on Sony's or something (I don't know, I've never seen these problems) so you might want to look into that. The other thing I should mention is that I haven't tweaked any of the color settings (if there are any) on these machines, I did that on my projector, so my personal comparison is based on default player settings with the exception of the 3D depth level option.

I also own a Samsung 5100, it's not on your list but I'll assume it's comparable to a 5900. That is nice player with nice picture quality as well. I've watched the first Star Trek (of the current reboot) and the first Transformers on all 3 and I prefer the picture of the 5100 for those movies. I haven't watched anything else on all 3 as the 5100 isn't 3D and I don't really care about comparing flat stuff.

I find that 3D depth varies per machine, so I find that using default settings on both the Sony and Panasonic I get different 3D experience using the same movie. That's why I can compare those 2 machines a lot, as I do it when I'm not happy with 3D on the Sony. On average the Sony gives a better default 3D picture to me, but I can't adjust on that machine (or I haven't found a way).

I can't speak on Samsung or LG 3D players as I don't own any

The PS3 is another option. It's dual voltage, so if you import a Region B PS3 you don't need to buy a voltage convertor. You can also mod a PS3 using software to become region free for Blu Ray and DVD as well. You can look online for that
Awesome! Thank you so much for the comparison of the two. To be honest I wasn't even really considering the Panasonic but now I'm really interested in it. For the most part I'm very happy with my current 3D player the only thing I don't love is the 3D sometimes seems way to dark...maybe it's the player. I like the idea of the extra depth on the Panasonic..it might be an interesting feature.

Thanks for giving such an excellent review I really appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:18 AM   #815
Special Member

Jul 2015
FL, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regislive View Post

Samsung BD-J5900 - $219
Sony BDP-S6700 - $209
Sony BDP-S6500 - $199

Any suggestions.
You can get the Sony BDP-S6700 for $188.10 on https://www.220-electronics.com/ site with 10% off.
also I think this https://www.ebay.com/itm/401169124752?ul_noapp=true accept $180
Thanks given by:
hagios (Today), Regislive (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #816

Mar 2018

I'm going with the Panasonic 270...I liked what you said about the extra 3D depth that makes the 3D look better. I currently have a Samsung BD-H5900 and I'm thinking normally Samsung and Sony are pretty comparable so why not try something a little different.

As a side note 220 electronics has a coupon code currently for 7% off - BLU7OFF

I feel good about this...now time to buy all those movies I couldn't get before!

Thanks again
Thanks given by:
hagios (Today)
Old Today, 03:21 AM   #817
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Avondale, Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizhang View Post
the 'refurbished' region free sony s1700 from 220's ebay store arrived today. works great. came in the original box, which was a little beat up, but the player, remote and components were in perfect condition. very pleased so far
How does this one work? Just like a regular player... but it's region free or is there something else to the menu options and etc?
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (Today)
Old Today, 04:19 AM   #818
Special Member

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chaverria View Post
How does this one work? Just like a regular player... but it's region free or is there something else to the menu options and etc?
While the player is on and the tray is open, you point the remote at the player and press:

- the YELLOW button for a Region A disc
- the BLUE button for a Region B disc
- the RED button for a Region C disc

You then close the tray with the disc inside it, and that is it! I've had 2 region-free Sony players (including this model) for about 18 months. No issues at all.
Thanks given by:
hagios (Today)
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #819
Power Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
While the player is on and the tray is open, you point the remote at the player and press:

- the YELLOW button for a Region A disc
- the BLUE button for a Region B disc
- the RED button for a Region C disc

You then close the tray with the disc inside it, and that is it! I've had 2 region-free Sony players (including this model) for about 18 months. No issues at all.
Interesting. My Sony has to be powered off. Pressing the coloured buttons turns it on for that region. Other than that, it has also worked perfectly.
Thanks given by:
hagios (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders