Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.33
4 hrs ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Frozen II 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.55
11 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96
 
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Maximum Overdrive (Blu-ray)
$21.60
4 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36
 
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Valhalla Rising (Blu-ray)
$19.89
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #21381
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
46
613
Default

Bill Hunt on SW: A New Hope, disc vs stream

Quote:
Disneyís 4K disc presentation obviously includes all the latest tweaks and changes seen in the Disney+ version, but the image quality is superior in every respect. (Note that the 20th Century Fox logo remains intact.) The average datarate is in the 60-70 Mbps range (vs 15-25 Mbps via streaming) and that extra bandwidth makes a huge difference.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (03-26-2020), Mobe1969 (03-26-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #21382
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
My description would be different, I'm still just a electronics oriented kid walking around in crusty old body that has had many years to assemble a fair collection of hardware. On a recent doctor's visit for the better half the attending PA referred to us as people of your vintage.
Iím surprised you havenít dabbled in VR Wendell.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 AM   #21383
AnamorphicWidescreen AnamorphicWidescreen is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2014
Default

F$%# streaming. I've been a supporter of it in the past, but with COVID-19 and most everyone being in a shelter in place order in my area, it's really slowed down in the past several weeks/month - and I thought my wireless was fast. However - because of the virus - there are a hell of a lot more people than usual working from home (including me), not going out as much and staying at home, etc.

Thankfully, I've always got my library of physical media to fall back on.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 AM   #21384
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
175
3948
3675
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
F$%# streaming.


That could spark a lively discussion. time!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 AM   #21385
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
F$%# streaming. I've been a supporter of it in the past, but with COVID-19 and most everyone being in a shelter in place order in my area, it's really slowed down in the past several weeks/month - and I thought my wireless was fast.
You had me at Wireless! I feel that is one of the main weaknesses of the Streaming Connection, and this crisis is exposing all of this. To get all of your consistent Bandwidth from your ISP I feel Wired is the only way to go. Your ISP also has to have a reliable CDN, and solid access to the Fiber Backbone. Like I have said, those Content Servers can be put anywhere....Even in your ISP location!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:35 AM   #21386
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You had me at Wireless! I feel that is one of the main weaknesses of the Streaming Connection, and this crisis is exposing all of this. To get all of your consistent Bandwidth from your ISP I feel Wired is the only way to go. Your ISP also has to have a reliable CDN, and solid access to the Fiber Backbone. Like I have said, those Content Servers can be put anywhere....Even in your ISP location!
Not this again
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (03-26-2020), Steedeel (03-26-2020), Vilya (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #21387
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
Not this again
Alchav’s magic juice is so special that when everyone else gets their streams downgraded over the next few months, his upgrades itself with near 8K quality and Dolby Atmos from just one sound bar. It’s wired after all!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (03-26-2020), Vilya (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #21388
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
2
2227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
In the home theater that would be 13 light switches .
They definitely add up quick. I moved into my first house just under two years but I got the X10 bug when I was a confirmed apartment dweller. It wasn't exactly a hardship walking from lava lamp to lava lamp or unplugging the leg lamp every night but hitting one button on my nightstand was definitely better.

When my mom was alive her very large unattached garage was a family gathering place and I plan on preserving that even as I transition it to a more dedicated HT space. And even in its rough form now there are four ceiling fixtures each with three RGB wifi bulbs, string lights, a variety of sports, novelty (yes, leg lamps again), wall lights and lava lamps. And that's not getting into landscape and cafe lights outside.

Oh, and being able to turn the heat on out there while I'm making coffee inside in the morning ain't bad either
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #21389
SCLee SCLee is offline
Senior Member
 
SCLee's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Bill Hunt on SW: A New Hope, disc vs stream
I did re-order the set after reading this and it'll be good to do the test with my own two eyes. Reviewers often go over the top with hyperbole and what you actually see isn't that great of a difference. The Disney+ version looks fantastic, I've never seen these films looking so good. You can see all the dents and dirt on C-3P0 and how shinny he is! If the discs look better, then it really will be a treat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #21390
SCLee SCLee is offline
Senior Member
 
SCLee's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
F$%# streaming. I've been a supporter of it in the past, but with COVID-19 and most everyone being in a shelter in place order in my area, it's really slowed down in the past several weeks/month - and I thought my wireless was fast. However - because of the virus - there are a hell of a lot more people than usual working from home (including me), not going out as much and staying at home, etc.

Thankfully, I've always got my library of physical media to fall back on.
I'm not trying to big up streaming at the expense of physical media, I like both, but honestly, my internet is working the same as it ever did. There has been no difference, thus far, on any streaming service I use. Both Netflix and Disney+ have 4K UHD HDR picture quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #21391
SCLee SCLee is offline
Senior Member
 
SCLee's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
1
Default

The digital titles are expensive in America. No wonder you guys buy more physical media! $24.99 for Rise of Skywalker. It will be £13.99 in the UK and £17.99 for the 4K version.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ris...5229709&sr=8-1
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #21392
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
175
3948
3675
3
2
Default

My internet speeds are only down about 15%, so far, presumably due to the increased demand, but I am still getting about 200 Mbps download. I have noticed a few hiccups when first starting to stream something, but they resolved quickly and my streaming results appear to be normal.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
SCLee (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #21393
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
175
3948
3675
3
2
Default

I have a hard time getting enthusiastic about Star Wars on 4K, but I will likely get around to it once I read more "professional" reviews and those from our forum members. I am far more interested in importing the 3D edition of the last installment that comes out on April 20th in the U.K. even if it is the absolute dreck that many have warned me about.

I may not ever upgrade the prequels because I have to hold my nose when watching them; maybe if they are heavily discounted at some point. Again, I'm having a hard time caring much about these, but I know they will be huge sellers and that's great for physical media.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #21394
SCLee SCLee is offline
Senior Member
 
SCLee's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I have a hard time getting enthusiastic about Star Wars on 4K, but I will likely get around to it once I read more "professional" reviews and those from our forum members. I am far more interested in importing the 3D edition of the last installment that comes out on April 20th in the U.K. even if it is the absolute dreck that many have warned me about.

I may not ever upgrade the prequels because I have to hold my nose when watching them; maybe if they are heavily discounted at some point. Again, I'm having a hard time caring much about these, but I know they will be huge sellers and that's great for physical media.
The prequels aren't great but they have their moments and Natalie Portman is a huge reason to own them

I enjoy the original trilogy but find ROTJ to be a little silly in places. Seriously a Jedi and a badass like Han get captured by teddies with sticks!

I enjoy TFA but it could have been better (imagine if Luke and Leia witnessed that death), TLJ has grown on me but I don't like parts of it. TROS is a bit of a mess, disjointed and it's more than a little ROTJ but it has its moments. Daisy is easy on the eyes.

I must have ordered and cancelled this thing nine times but as my summer holiday is cancelled, I thought I might as well buy it. I'm by no means a Star Wars obsessive but then, I'm not a Marvel obsessive either and I seem to own nearly all of them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #21395
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
46
613
Default

From High-Def Digest on 1917 on disc vs stream:

Quote:
Because I help family stay entertained through my collection I often redeem my digital slips so out of curiosity I took a look at the 4K UHD stream and as expected, it looks nice but doesn't hold a candle to the disc. Speed dependency and streaming bitrate caps punch this one in the gut - namely in the dark scenes with low orange light. The shadows are chunky without any smooth gradience. There are a few other inconsistencies in detail clarity but how well it handles low light is the key criticism. If you were hoping on the digital 4K being "good enough" you're missing out on a beautiful disc.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
SCLee (03-26-2020), Vilya (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #21396
SCLee SCLee is offline
Senior Member
 
SCLee's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
From High-Def Digest on 1917 on disc vs stream:
And I hope that's the case. But these reviewers are very, very picky and seem to notice things that us mere mortals don't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #21397
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
175
3948
3675
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLee View Post
And I hope that's the case. But these reviewers are very, very picky and seem to notice things that us mere mortals don't.
Low light scenes are my biggest complaints with streaming; they look bad and the reviewer's description in Wendell's post matches my experience with such scenes perfectly. Chunky blacks with no smooth gradience is rampant even with 4K streaming. It's a mess that I see readily on both of my TVs.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (03-26-2020), Steedeel (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #21398
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLee View Post
I'm not trying to big up streaming at the expense of physical media, I like both, but honestly, my internet is working the same as it ever did. There has been no difference, thus far, on any streaming service I use. Both Netflix and Disney+ have 4K UHD HDR picture quality.
There is a difference, you are just not seeing it. Half the usual bit rate will more than likely result in lack of detail, more noticeable compression artefacts and a softer picture. You canít just half the bit rate and get the same picture unless we are dealing with new codecs (we arenít).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #21399
SCLee SCLee is offline
Senior Member
 
SCLee's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
There is a difference, you are just not seeing it. Half the usual bit rate will more than likely result in lack of detail, more noticeable compression artefacts and a softer picture. You canít just half the bit rate and get the same picture unless we are dealing with new codecs (we arenít).
We don't know that they've halved it by now. We have no way of knowing.

All I can tell you is the picture remains stable and crystal clear, with no artifacts, even at four feet viewing distance, on both my TV's.

Empire looks fantastic and easily the best it's even looked (including Blu Ray.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #21400
SCLee SCLee is offline
Senior Member
 
SCLee's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Low light scenes are my biggest complaints with streaming; they look bad and the reviewer's description in Wendell's post matches my experience with such scenes perfectly. Chunky blacks with no smooth gradience is rampant even with 4K streaming. It's a mess that I see readily on both of my TVs.
I wish you guys could point this out to me in person because I don't see it. If I did, I'd tell you. I have no reason to lie. As I said before, this is no doubt more noticeable on an 85 inch screen, than a 55 inch screen. The blacks on my OLED (for example) are solid black, there is no artifacting.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:16 AM.