Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Venom (Blu-ray)
$12.11
1 hr ago
Game of Thrones: Seasons 1-7 (Blu-ray)
$74.49
2 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99
3 hrs ago
Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
3 hrs ago
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
51 min ago
Mission: Impossible - 6 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
1 hr ago
Hostiles 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$6.99
4 hrs ago
Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #41
Power Member

Mar 2007

When I bought my Oppo 203 I had planned on going with a Dolby Vison larger screen display. Well I ended up building a dedicated theater room and going the JVC projector route. Seriously thinking about selling the Oppo and buying a Panasonic or Sony 4K player. My understanding is 4K and upsaled Blu-Ray all look about the same vs Oppo vs Sony vs Panasonic.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
When I bought my Oppo 203 I had planned on going with a Dolby Vison larger screen display. Well I ended up building a dedicated theater room and going the JVC projector route. Seriously thinking about selling the Oppo and buying a Panasonic or Sony 4K player. My understanding is 4K and upsaled Blu-Ray all look about the same vs Oppo vs Sony vs Panasonic.
While upscaled BD and 4K playback might be similar you would need to look at how you might possibly use any player and remote with the JVC. Some players allow a lot of options other players don't. Example aspect ration/zoom customization. HDR to SDR conversion customization as examples.

Sony only has the older x800/x1000 and the new petite x700 available.

Panasonic has the older UB900, and the new UB820 that only goes for a little less than the 203.

Please note the poster in this thread as he has a JVC projector.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #43
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
While upscaled BD and 4K playback might be similar you would need to look at how you might possibly use any player and remote with the JVC. Some players allow a lot of options other players don't. Example aspect ration/zoom customization. HDR to SDR conversion customization as examples.

Sony only has the older x800/x1000 and the new petite x700 available.

Panasonic has the older UB900, and the new UB820 that only goes for a little less than the 203.

Please note the poster in this thread as he has a JVC projector.

I wouldn't sell the Oppo unless I could get $750+ for it. Sony 800x is $249. Panny900 is $399. Yes the Oppo has some good features the other players don't have but if I can get $700+ I don't think it's worth it to keep it. I know Oppo said they will continue to support their products but I am concerned that in a year or two they will have moved on.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Suicide???
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I wouldn't sell the Oppo unless I could get $750+ for it. Sony 800x is $249. Panny900 is $399. Yes the Oppo has some good features the other players don't have but if I can get $700+ I don't think it's worth it to keep it. I know Oppo said they will continue to support their products but I am concerned that in a year or two they will have moved on.
In 2-3 years from now firmware updates should stop on the OPPO UDP-203/UDP-205. Then the latest new releases well not play since the latest AACS encryption keys will be required.

For now I am keeping my OPPO UDP-203 since its the best on the market. The new Panasonic for $1,000 that is suppose to be released soon does have HDR10+ but lacks SACD and DVD-Audio. In fact there is no 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player in production that offers both SACD and DVD-Audio. Hopefully that well change in 2-3 years, but if it does not then maybe I well keep my OPPO for 5-10 years. A lot can happen in 3 years from now. If 4K streaming gets really popular, one day the studios could decide to stop releasing new movies on both Blu-ray and DVD. People would purchase all their movies from VUDU using their flat screen TV interface instead of a Blu-ray or DVD player. If that were to happen then I would never get a new Blu-ray player since no company would be making any new ones, I do not believe that is going to happen, but its hard to predict what is exactly going to happen in the future.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #46
Special Member

Feb 2010

It looks like Panasonic for now they have a nice 4K UHD player coming out in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
CXUHD

Looking at these pics it appears you could swap disc drives in both machines and they would work. You would have to carefully remove the two front plastic drive covers with the BD logos on it to remove the drive. It appears to be identical to the Oppo disc drive.

Even the front of the units swapped would work as well as power supply.

Very similar units obviously Cambridge uses parts that Oppo does.

Last edited by danny24; 07-17-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #47
Power Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
In 2-3 years from now firmware updates should stop on the OPPO UDP-203/UDP-205. Then the latest new releases well not play since the latest AACS encryption keys will be required.

For now I am keeping my OPPO UDP-203 since its the best on the market. The new Panasonic for $1,000 that is suppose to be released soon does have HDR10+ but lacks SACD and DVD-Audio. In fact there is no 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player in production that offers both SACD and DVD-Audio. Hopefully that well change in 2-3 years, but if it does not then maybe I well keep my OPPO for 5-10 years. A lot can happen in 3 years from now. If 4K streaming gets really popular, one day the studios could decide to stop releasing new movies on both Blu-ray and DVD. People would purchase all their movies from VUDU using their flat screen TV interface instead of a Blu-ray or DVD player. If that were to happen then I would never get a new Blu-ray player since no company would be making any new ones, I do not believe that is going to happen, but its hard to predict what is exactly going to happen in the future.
Pioneer just announced their LX500 4k player and it will support DVD-A and SACD.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
Pioneer just announced their LX500 4k player and it will support DVD-A and SACD.
Thanks for the information. I just learned that it well have a $999 list price when released in the United States. Hopefully it well support HDR10+.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 07-21-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #49
Power Member

Nov 2008
Pennsylvania, the deep south of the north
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

Old 07-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #50

Mar 2007
Massachusetts

Since being region-free is important for my next player, I need to ask: Do any modified players not suffer a speed-up or pitch increase when playing a UK disc here in the USA?

If they don't suffer this, is it dependent on a TV capable of multiple input frequencies? Some USA TVs support 25p and some only support 24p. My older Samsung plasma only supports 30p IIRC.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders