Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Boris Karloff / Bela Lugosi Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.96
1 hr ago
Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
5 hrs ago
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37
1 hr ago
AVP Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 hr ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Outlander: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$44.95

Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spider-Man Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.58

Replicas (Blu-ray)
$18.84

Long Way North (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
Miss Bala (Blu-ray)
$22.96
9 hrs ago
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Blu-ray)
$25.66

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #13741
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
All Blu rays have a logo or sticker for MA
Not true streaming breath, some do, some don't. To date there is no Paramount or Lions Gate titles with MA codes.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #13742
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Our youngest generation is far more willing to pay to go see a movie than is your age group or my age group.
Yeah, but thatís a social event. Itís to meet up with friends or to take a date. What we should be interested in is how interested in passive entertainment they are at home. Or how willing they are to spend money on film. I say not very.

Two points from that link that I picked up on as I have heard them repeated elsewhere.

Going forward, less and less younger people will be prepared to pay for film and tv services.

There is whole new generation for whom passive entertainment is not popular and they will certainly not pay for services.

These two points I happen to agree with.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #13743
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
All Blu rays have a logo or sticker for MA
I thought Blu-ray was just a niche? The masses are just using Netflix, Hulu and pirating, no?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #13744
Expert Member

Apr 2018

Of the top disc sales from 2018, only one title in the top 30 would not have been available on Movies Anywhere. So, to my previous point, I would say most people are somewhat aware of MA.

Last edited by avs commenter; 02-20-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #13745
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Yeah, but that’s a social event. It’s to meet up with friends or to take a date. What we should be interested in is how interested in passive entertainment they are at home. Or how willing they are to spend money on film. I say not very.

Two points from that link that I picked up on as I have heard them repeated elsewhere.

Going forward, less and less younger people will be prepared to pay for film and tv services.

There is whole new generation for whom passive entertainment is not popular and they will certainly not pay for services.

These two points I happen to agree with.
Buying movie tickets, whatever you think the reason for that is, IS spending money on "passive" entertainment.

I never knew anyone who planned a "social event", a recurring one at that, around an activity that they did not enjoy doing.

The mental gymnastics that you perform to stay perpetually afraid is a wonder to behold.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-19-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #13746
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
I thought Blu-ray was just a niche? The masses are just using Netflix, Hulu and pirating, no?
And they are all watching movies and TV shows.. and on their big screen TVs.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #13747
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Yeah, but that’s a social event. It’s to meet up with friends or to take a date.
Talk about denial. Sure, kids go to a lot more movies than everybody but they're not really going to the movie so that doesn't count.

Okay.

Quote:
What we should be interested in is how interested in passive entertainment they are at home.
Oh good, a new buzzword. Cause watching youtube videos is so much more active than watching Friends.

Quote:
Or how willing they are to spend money on film. I say not very.
And you're wrong. Not only are they willing to spend money of film, they're more willing to spend money on films than we are.

They just are.

Quote:

Except they are willing to pay for films. And they're willing to pay for online subscriptions and all manner of film and tv services.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #13748
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
I quite enjoyed Filmstruck closing down. Sorry. I will piss myself with laughter when the replacement closes down. Itís a little silly to love older films and not be fully behind disc. You will learn the hard way.
No, you know what's really silly?

A self-professed lover of film who's more concerned with how people watch older films than with whether people watch older films.

If I were a film lover I think I'd be in favor of pretty much anything that exposes more people to classic films.

I wouldn't obsess over whether people are watching The Shop Around the Corner the 'right' way.

I'd just be happy that they were watching it in the first place.

But that's me.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:38 AM   #13749
Expert Member

Apr 2018

Digital is released sooner and can have exclusive bonus content. Also digital almost always has DV while not as common on disc
Thanks given by:
stonesfan129 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #13750

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

I went digital. It releases sooner. No defective discs. Sometimes has exclusive bonus content. There is a quality difference but I don't think I have a good enough setup to notice.

Last edited by stonesfan129; 02-20-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #13751
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

Flixster Video for people living outside of the U.S. is closing down later this year. Here are some articles on it's closure.

https://digitalsupport.warnerbros.co...94-Ultraviolet
Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 AM   #13752
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

I just have serious trouble paying $5 or 10 for a single movie much less $15-25 for something I don't own -- $5-7 for a TV season, $1-2 for a single Movie is about my limit. If physical ever goes completely belly up, I'm just going to go full streaming as best as I can. If I'm going rent something I might as well do it for $1-2 or as part of of a $10/month sub.

Too many times already the 'owners' have modified "my" item -- changed versions, changed extras, lost extras, given me a different version of the item that I had before without my knowledge/permission/desire.

1-2 week sooner in meaningless to me. Poorer A/V does mean something. Living in a non metro area, I'm never going to have high speed stable pipeline. 60-100 at a questionable stability level is about as good as I can do and often the true speed is substantially lower and signal outages are just too frequent even without weather issues. I am convinced that as soon as physical is killed off to a certain level, data caps will become an across the board reality in monopoly areas like mine.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 AM   #13753
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Yay! Another redundant thread about disc vs. digital! Can't get enough of 'em.
Thanks given by:
avs commenter (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #13754
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I know you that did not write it, but you often seem to take pleasure in stories like these, much like someone else who took pleasure in the story about UV closing.
I don't want physical media to die. I still need 4K versions of LOTR, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and BTTF!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #13755
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
I don't want physical media to die. I still need 4K versions of LOTR, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and BTTF!
Me too!

I didn't really think that you wanted physical media to die; I think you just wanted to tease us disc fans a little with a nice piece of clickbait.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-20-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #13756
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
No, you know what's really silly?

A self-professed lover of film who's more concerned with how people watch older films than with whether people watch older films.

If I were a film lover I think I'd be in favor of pretty much anything that exposes more people to classic films.

I wouldn't obsess over whether people are watching The Shop Around the Corner the 'right' way.

I'd just be happy that they were watching it in the first place.

But that's me.
Itís you all right! So itís ok to rejoice in Samsung ending Blu-ray/4K production (a excellent option for older films) but not ok when the shoe is in the other foot? So, why are you not having a go at Fly?

Oh, wait! I think I know why.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #13757
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

I need to watch The Shop Around The Corner sometime after my Twin Peaks marathon is finished. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Stewart.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #13758
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I need to watch The Shop Around The Corner sometime after my Twin Peaks marathon is finished. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Stewart.
Where abouts are you in the TP timeline?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #13759
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Where abouts are you in the TP timeline?
I resume tonight with Season 2 episode 27; I will finish season 2 tonight. Fire Walk With Me is on deck! Need more pie, too.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #13760
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I resume tonight with Season 2 episode 27; I will finish season 2 tonight. Fire Walk With Me is on deck! Need more pie, too.
Are you going to space season three out and watch two episodes per week? It really needs to be soaked up and dwelled upon lol.
Thanks given by:
octagon (02-21-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology