Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Hellboy II: The Golden Army 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.00

Godzilla 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.95

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Witch 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.71

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hellboy Animated 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.08

Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Backdraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.64

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #4121

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
No news for this player to get a dolby vision update ?? was looking around yesterday and couldn't find nothing. have never seen nothing in dolby vision yet have a few 4ks that have it.
The x800 will not be getting the Dolby Vision update due to hardware (chipset) limitations. If you want DV you need to get the X700.
Thanks given by:
Bill C (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #4122
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Or wait for the x800 m2 to come out.
Thanks given by:
Bill C (02-21-2019), HDTV1080P (02-20-2019), jibucha (03-03-2019), Zoland2020 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #4123

Aug 2008
UK

Quote:
No news for this player to get a dolby vision update ?? was looking around yesterday and couldn't find nothing. have never seen nothing in dolby vision yet have a few 4ks that have it.
This player does not support Dolby Vision.

A newer version (UDP-X800 M2) due to be released in May features support for Dolby Vision
Thanks given by:
Bill C (02-21-2019), jibucha (03-03-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #4124

Jan 2018

Thanks guys.. I don't even know if I need Dolby Vision but my tv supports it also.
I like the player knock on wood I haven't had a problem with it well over a year. it hat hdr10 built like a tank but I do want the most I can get from the 4k disks that have it.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #4125
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Thanks guys.. I don't even know if I need Dolby Vision but my tv supports it also.
I like the player knock on wood I haven't had a problem with it well over a year. it hat hdr10 built like a tank but I do want the most I can get from the 4k disks that have it.
Dolby Vision most benefits sets with less nits or worse tone-mapping. Look your set up on a site like Rtings and see how it measures in those areas. That will help you decide if it's worth buying a new player ASAP.
Thanks given by:
Bill C (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #4126
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:

It's Better To Have It And Not Need It, Than To Need It And Not Have It.

You want to have it. ...May 2019...X800M2

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1546909660
Thanks given by:
Bill C (02-22-2019), jibucha (03-03-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #4127

Mar 2018

Just wanted to share my experience. I bought my X800 in March 2018.

1. It's always been a little quirky. I have a Nakamichi Shockwave 7.2 sound system, so the players HDMI is plugged directly into the soundbar, then it goes back out to my TV (ARC). Most of the time it takes a while for the connection to be made and displayed. Sometimes I even have to switch inputs back and forth to get it to show.

2. It has never been able to update. Not once. When I try to update, it says it loses connection.

3. Just last week, I couldn't get the picture connection to work at all, and then the device would shut off, but the power light would stay on. It then would not restart. I would have to unplug every time.

So I took into my room next to my modem and plugged directly into my tv, and it came up then, but the buttons were acting weird on the remote. Some buttons stopped working and it wouldn't even let me click on update. It was also still screwing up when powering down leading to more unplugs.

I even tried to do a direct ethernet connection. Still did not work. Also tried a USB update, and that didn't work either.

It is currently in route back to Sony, and they claim to be sending me a new one.

Anybody had a similar experience? My basic 1 year warranty is up next month, what should I expect once my year is up?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #4128
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoftherings View Post
4k is a different ball game, it's a pretty picture and it's a little fussy @ times, different video adjustments too, and not all 4k discs are flamboyant, some are somber, like the catacombs of jakarta.
lol

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 02-28-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:51 AM   #4129
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I said that? I made a typo too; it takes a capital "J" for Jakarta.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #4130

Nov 2009
Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush0024 View Post

1. It's always been a little quirky. I have a Nakamichi Shockwave 7.2 sound system, so the players HDMI is plugged directly into the soundbar, then it goes back out to my TV (ARC). Most of the time it takes a while for the connection to be made and displayed. Sometimes I even have to switch inputs back and forth to get it to show.

2. It has never been able to update. Not once. When I try to update, it says it loses connection.

3. Just last week, I couldn't get the picture connection to work at all, and then the device would shut off, but the power light would stay on. It then would not restart. I would have to unplug every time.

So I took into my room next to my modem and plugged directly into my tv, and it came up then, but the buttons were acting weird on the remote. Some buttons stopped working and it wouldn't even let me click on update. It was also still screwing up when powering down leading to more unplugs.

I even tried to do a direct ethernet connection. Still did not work. Also tried a USB update, and that didn't work either.

It is currently in route back to Sony, and they claim to be sending me a new one.

Anybody had a similar experience? My basic 1 year warranty is up next month, what should I expect once my year is up?
I'm having the exact same experience I am out of warranty so I am screwed
Old 03-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #4131
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

I realize from skimming the thread that there are those who are having more than satisfactory experiences with this player. But the completely unsatisfactory experience of some (like you're mentioning, ahossein) has me concerned about the M2 being I think based on the same SoC (?). In any event, from what I've read it is not a foundationally new/different deck. So that raises the possibility that issues some are having with the X800 would perhaps be issues with the M2 (?).

Am going to spend more time looking at user reports, reviews and perhaps an owners thread on the Pio LX500. Seems like one of the last remaining options in terms of a manuf with an ongoing (?) commitment to a universal deck for those of us interested in DVD-A and SACD.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #4132
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush0024 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahossein79 View Post
I'm having the exact same experience I am out of warranty so I am screwed
ē Try a direct (wired) connection with your Internet modem (page 13 and page 25).
ē Check the condition of the batteries in the remote.
ē Reset to factory default settings.
ē Read the troubleshooting section (page 27).

Extra: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...ostcount=2864Q

Bests ...
Old 03-03-2019, 02:24 AM   #4133
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
I realize from skimming the thread that there are those who are having more than satisfactory experiences with this player. But the completely unsatisfactory experience of some (like you're mentioning, ahossein) has me concerned about the M2 being I think based on the same SoC (?). In any event, from what I've read it is not a foundationally new/different deck. So that raises the possibility that issues some are having with the X800 would perhaps be issues with the M2 (?).

Am going to spend more time looking at user reports, reviews and perhaps an owners thread on the Pio LX500. Seems like one of the last remaining options in terms of a manuf with an ongoing (?) commitment to a universal deck for those of us interested in DVD-A and SACD.
I got my X-800 in June 2017 and in March 2017 it stopped working, it just didn't recognized any kind of disc. I got a new player after insisting Sony that I didn't want mine repaired as it had frequent freezes while playing UHD BD's.
I've had the new player for a year and it hasn't had a single issue with it, not a single freezing even with 3 layer/100 Gb discs (The Matrix, Westworld s01 & 02...) what suggest me that the issues with this player are more of a quality control than a fault on its design or poor selection of components.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #4134
Special Member

Mar 2008

By the way, has anybody played music CD's with DSEE HX on? I know it upsamples regular res PCM,that is 44.1/16 and 48/16 to 88.2/24 or 96/24 but I don't know if it does any other kind of processing to the audio signal upsampling/24 bit upconverting apart. I like how DSEE HX makes CD's sound, it seems to smooth their sound without losing detail. I've read a couple of times on other websites that it makes CD's sound harsh and with too much treble but my experience is right the opposite.
What is your opinion of DSEE HX on the X-800 while playing CD's?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:09 AM   #4135
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:

Itís my hunch that the X-800 SoC was what held it back from handling DV.

The new M2 this year probably has a newer SoC that can handle DV. The chassis and disc loader may not change much, as both have seemed reliable, and that chassis keeps disc spinning noises down, due to itís design and heft AFAIK.

Hopefully this will be in competition for a top notch Universal player to compete with Panny and Pio. Each will have itís pluses and minuses.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 05:06 AM   #4136
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

I apologize in advance if this has been answered already. I searched this thread, but couldn't find an answer. Has the Vudu app on the Sony UBP X800 been updated to stream UHD titles yet? If not, has there been any word on this update coming?

It's a bit disappointing to have purchased Sony's hi-resolution player just to find it streams in 1080p. I bought two players in April, 2018, and I really thought they would have been updated not long afterwards.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #4137
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievanhalen View Post
I got my X-800 in June 2017 and in March 2017 it stopped working, it just didn't recognized any kind of disc. I got a new player after insisting Sony that I didn't want mine repaired as it had frequent freezes while playing UHD BD's.
I've had the new player for a year and it hasn't had a single issue with it, not a single freezing even with 3 layer/100 Gb discs (The Matrix, Westworld s01 & 02...) what suggest me that the issues with this player are more of a quality control than a fault on its design or poor selection of components.
Thanks for the comments, Mr. Van Halen. (I assume you mean the player stopped working in March 2018.)

Over the years, I've owned/flipped about a dozen BD players. OPPO, Sony and Panny decks. I've never had one behave the way multiple people have described about their X800s herein, namely repeatedly freezing on (UHD) BDs and/or ceasing playing any kind of disc after a year or (much) less of ownership.

The not-entirely-analogous "exceptions" would be: the OPPO BDP-83's glitchy playback of SACDs and DVD-As, which it was my understanding was a Mediatek SoC issue; and last year my Panny DMP-BDT220 stopped recognizing all BDs. That's a six year-old player. I bought another one for $60 on Amazon Marketplace since I generally have been pleased with Panny's BD players going all the way back to the DMP-BD10 (their first) and I prefer the traditional 17-inch rack mount form factor and wanted analog outs--both of which started getting left behind in 2012 due to "Analog Sunset." So that makes a total of four of the BDT220s (I bought two for my parents) with only the one (so far) crapping out like that.

My point is that it just seems borderline inexcusable for Sony, a company with nearly unparalleled (?) engineer bench depth and hardware experience to have these kinds of problems on a deck that's "only" handling an "extension" to a format that's been with us for 12 years now. I understand that a lot has changed in terms of the bottom lines of CE in that time. I'm not an engineer but I would have thought that a deck that "only" adds UHD BD playback--not even DV--would perhaps choke on UHD BDs but still play everything else. Whether it's an SoC issue or a QC issue, I just find it dismaying that this is happening at all, much less for players with list prices above what all other mass manufacturer BD players are selling for these days.

You mention 100Gb BDs and that's nice but, at the rate the format is going, the quantity of UHD BDs I (will) own is going to perennially be outnumbered by the number of DVD-As and certainly SA-CDs I own. Have you taken the player through its paces with those formats? Sony has very little experience with DVD-A so it's all the more cause for concern for me when they can't apparently get the (UHD) BD stuff ironed out at launch.

Unless a Sony engineer says it's because of DVD-A/MLP capability that these other problems exist . . .?
Old 03-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #4138
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Hopefully this will be in competition for a top notch Universal player to compete with Panny and Pio. Each will have itís pluses and minuses.
G, Panny is doing a universal player? It's my understanding that neither the DP-UB820 nor 900 support SA-CD or DVD-A (the latter of which Panny hasn't supported since their very first BD player).
Old 03-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #4139
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

$200 at Best Buy right now. Really wish the A8F or A1E was on sale again so I could finance both, but might just nab the player now and buy it outright. Hard to pass on that price.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #4140
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
G, Panny is doing a universal player? It's my understanding that neither the DP-UB820 nor 900 support SA-CD or DVD-A (the latter of which Panny hasn't supported since their very first BD player).
Youíre correct about Panasonic not playing these audio formats. These would be minuses for their players, which some wonít like and others couldnít be bothered. Panny players also donít play lossless audio formats from non-disk sources like a USB key or a NAS.

So it seems like each brand of players can do some things great, and other things not so much. Youíre forced to pick whatever is most important and buy what you can afford. Too bad the after market Oppo 203/205 are so expensive as they do a good all-around job for many owners. The PJ owners gravitate to the Pannyís for HDR handling/ conversion. The specs for the next Sony player arenít public yet, so weíll see soon enough what it can or cannot do.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology