Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.79
5 hrs ago
Backdraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.34
11 hrs ago
First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.97
23 hrs ago
Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.08

Field of Dreams 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.34
11 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.00

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.90

The Little Mermaid 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.88
17 hrs ago
Morgan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Birth of a Nation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hellboy Animated 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #461
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-

The real reason why this movie was made was to, capitalize and profit from the success of Queen, and especially the death of Freddie Mercury. The filmmakers really didn't care if Bohemian Rhapsody was accurate or not, all they want is the financial gain from the movie, and it's a shame that they used Freddie Mercury as if he was a fictional character, instead of a real human being, and a musician.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #462

Dec 2018
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
The real reason why this movie was made was to, capitalize and profit from the success of Queen, and especially the death of Freddie Mercury. The filmmakers really didn't care if Bohemian Rhapsody was accurate or not, all they want is the financial gain from the movie, and it's a shame that they used Freddie Mercury as if he was a fictional character, instead of a real human being, and a musician.
But why have the remaining members on board then?
might as well made the movie without them...
Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #463
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSN View Post
Brain has tried to rewrite history for years
Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #464

Dec 2007
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
Brain has tried to rewrite history for years
I love all the members of Queen, but Brian and Roger do have a selective memory when it comes to their history.

Brian holds a deep grudge about Don't Stop Me Now having most of his original guitar parts removed. That's why we have now had TWO versions released that feature "long lost guitar parts", or in the case of the movie, brand new guitar parts.

He's also made negative comments regarding some of the recording process for Mr Bad Guy. He recorded guitar parts for a song called She Blows Hot & Cold, but Freddie had somebody re-record his parts.

When Brian and Roger toured with Paul Rodgers they repeatedly said that Paul was Freddie's favorite singer. This despite the fact that there are no interviews where Freddie even mentions Paul.

It's odd to me that the production team went out of their way to make things as accurate as possible, down to using actual equipment and costumes owned by the band, and yet the screenplay is awash with inaccuracies.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #465
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Sad but true, but I just see it as history repeating itself.
Case in point, the heavily Freddie influenced Hot Space album is considered their worst, and no one gave a damn about his solo album. Even though both those albums are years ahead in quality compared the more popular but very boring imo The Works album. The biggest hits around that time were "I want to break free" and "radio gaga" and they weren't even written by Freddie. Seriously, those songs are shite.
My point being, it's like the the masses are saying they prefer Freddie filtered through Queen. Nice and sterile.

And I guess i should re-iterate my previous comments regarding the band, I guess i am more a fan of freddie than Queen.
I admire the other band members for their technical merits (Brian building his own guitar/John being a finger picked bassist). They were always tight as a band live.
but when it comes to their song writing abilities, the other band members leave alot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1976 View Post
He's also made negative comments regarding some of the recording process for Mr Bad Guy. He recorded guitar parts for a song called She Blows Hot & Cold, but Freddie had somebody re-record his parts.
Lol I haven't heard that, it's pretty much the same licks in the released version, I imagine Freddie just had someone re-record it exactly the same way because he didn't want any other other band members credited in the liner notes. Maybe wanted to be solely on his own in a public sense.

Going through my Mr bad guy scan, it does appear the case. That paul prenter thanks though, just goes to showcase how ridiculous this movie is

Last edited by Synchg; 02-19-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #466
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSN View Post
No Queen Music then, which would defeat the purpose of a Musician biopic for many people (and I argue would be a less satisfying movie, for all its conventions I feel like Malekís performance and the music make the movie work).

It can work to be rejected by the estate with a movie like Selma (which still requires some complicated work because of that) but not for something like this
Old 02-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #467

Dec 2007
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchg View Post
but when it comes to their song writing abilities, the other band members leave alot to be desired.
I'd disagree with that. Freddie wrote his fair share of weaker songs too. The other three wrote some fantastic stuff.

Some of the best songs by the other members:

Brian: The Prophets Song, '39, Who Wants to Live Forever, It's Late, Good Company, I Want it All, The Show Must Go On, Mother Love

Roger: Tenement Funster, Days of Our Lives, A Kind of Magic, I'm In Love With My Car, Fight From the Inside

John: You & I, You're My Best Friend, Spread Your Wings, Another One Bites the Dust
Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #468
Special Member

Oct 2013
UK

I liked the film quite a lot overall, but some of the dialogue was corny "You're a legend Fred" "we're all legends", I get the feeling that line was written for the trailers.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #469
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsetSmiley View Post
I liked the film quite a lot overall, but some of the dialogue was corny "You're a legend Fred" "we're all legends", I get the feeling that line was written for the trailers.
There were many of these groan-inducing moment scattered throughout. But I agree with you: I liked it overall.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #470
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
I'd disagree with that. Freddie wrote his fair share of weaker songs too. The other three wrote some fantastic stuff.

Some of the best songs by the other members:

Brian: The Prophets Song, '39, Who Wants to Live Forever, It's Late, Good Company, I Want it All, The Show Must Go On, Mother Love

Roger: Tenement Funster, Days of Our Lives, A Kind of Magic, I'm In Love With My Car, Fight From the Inside

John: You & I, You're My Best Friend, Spread Your Wings, Another One Bites the Dust
FREDDIE DID NO WRONG, ALL SOLID SONGS. NAME ONE. maybe Keeping Passing The Open Windows, but maybe because it was written specifically for a movie.

Alot of those songs you cited are serviceable at best, some just downright embarrassing to listen loudly on my speakers. Without freddie in the band, their music wouldn't hold my interest. We all can hear "a kind of magic" as it appeared in the Highlander, dull and boring, but freddie deconstructed/remixed it entirely and made it interesting

The making of the one vision song is solid evidence of that.

Freddie steers the recording strong. Even having roger play the drums as he instructs him too. As a drummer myself, that's insane. This video is also a good example of how underwhelming Malek is in his portrayal of Freddie, JUST THE WORST.

I always felt the band members worked best when they played to the strengths of their instrument. Brian keeping his songs very guitar riff based AND simple. I like enough and can tolerate Tie your mother down, not so much 39 though, and that crazy bugger insisted it to be a single. Sit down brian.
Or john staying in the realms of funk with his bass driven songs. I'd might be more impressed with Another one bites the dust if he hadn't ripped off the bassline from that chic song. But because its bass driven. I dig it, along with "Back Chat/Cool Cat" from Hot Space. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to you're my best friend (deacon again) but i'd pump my entire house loudly of My baby does me (deacon/freddie) such goooooood stuff.
It's just whenever the other band members try to write a ballad or something complicated outside their zone, it almost becomes... tacky to listen to. But I guess it comes down to taste, with mine being superior that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsetSmiley View Post
There's awful dialog in many movies, but it all comes down to the actor's execution and making it work. Didn't some English playwright do a re-write of Attack of the clones? Look how that worked out

Last edited by Synchg; 02-19-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
Socko (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #471

Dec 2007
SC

Quote:
FREDDIE DID NO WRONG, ALL SOLID SONGS. NAME ONE. maybe Keeping Passing The Open Windows, but maybe because it was written specifically for a movie.

Alot of those songs you cited are serviceable at best, some just downright embarrassing to listen loudly on my speakers. Without freddie in the band, their music wouldn't hold my interest. We all can hear "a kind of magic" as it appeared in the Highlander, dull and boring, but freddie deconstructed/remixed it entirely and made it interesting

Queen - The Making Of "One Vision" (High Quality) - YouTube

Freddie steers the recording strong. Even having roger play the drums as he instructs him too. As a drummer myself, that's insane. This video is also a good example of how underwhelming Malek is in his portrayal of Freddie, JUST THE WORST.

I always felt the band members worked best when they played to the strengths of their instrument. Brian keeping his songs very guitar riff based AND simple. I like enough and can tolerate Tie your mother down, not so much 39 though, and that crazy bugger insisted it to be a single. Sit down brian.
Or john staying in the realms of funk with his bass driven songs. I'd might be more impressed with Another one bites the dust if he hadn't ripped off the bassline from that chic song. But because its bass driven. I dig it, along with "Back Chat/Cool Cat" from Hot Space. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to you're my best friend (deacon again) but i'd pump my entire house loudly of My baby does me (deacon/freddie) such goooooood stuff.
It's just whenever the other band members try to write a ballad or something complicated outside their zone, it almost becomes... tacky to listen to. But I guess it comes down to taste, with mine being superior
Body Language.

If you donít like those songs, fair enough, but your not really a Queen fan. Just a Freddie fan. Queen are unique that they had four talented song writers, who all wrote hits. Freddie would be the first to admit that itís the four of them that made Queen.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 PM   #472
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Body Language.

If you don’t like those songs, fair enough, but your not really a Queen fan. Just a Freddie fan. Queen are unique that they had four talented song writers, who all wrote hits. Freddie would be the first to admit that it’s the four of them that made Queen.
wtf, body language is amazing. even better live, I wish a soundboard recording of it existed.
I'm a casual Queen fan, that almost borders on a huge queen fan, but yeah definitely bigger freddie mercury fan. Like I said, when they play to their strengths, i'm on board. But alot of the times, the other band member songs are hard to swallow, but they get it right every now and then. I can jam to dragon attack as an instrumental but keep the May's melody verse structure out of it.
Mediocre song writing but under freddie's guidance, was turned into something digestible.
Admit it, hammer to fall during Live Aid recreation was tough for the majority of you to sit through.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #473

Jan 2019

Quote:

Queen - The Making Of "One Vision" (High Quality) - YouTube

It's just whenever the other band members try to write a ballad or something complicated outside their zone, it almost becomes... tacky to listen to. But I guess it comes down to taste, with mine being superior that is.

There's awful dialog in many movies, but it all comes down to the actor's execution and making it work. Didn't some English playwright do a re-write of Attack of the clones? Look how that worked out
The fact that you think that Another One Bites the Dust is a "serviceable" song demonstrates your opinions are not to be valued in any way whatsoever.

It was also missed that Roger Taylor wrote Radio Gaga which was a HUGE hit for the band and a highlight of Live Aid.

Let's not also forget that Brian May wrote WE WILL ROCK YOU of all things.

I'd love to see you try to claim those classics are "serviceable."
Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #474
Power Member

Feb 2012
Australia

It's nice to see some more discussions about the questionable quality of the flick, rather than the outright love it seems to get from everywhere else. It baffles me that people pretend to be massive Freddie fans, but forgive the film for making Freddie out to be this heavily flawed person with poor judgment who needed a redemptive arc while Brian and Roger are the voices of reason. Puh-lease. That isn't even invention for dramatic purposes - it's Brian and Roger wanting to come off looking great and being remembered like that, immortalized on screen. It's disingenuous.

So very very little of the movie is based in actual facts. And it can't even be a complete version of its altered version of history. Case in point: The band walks out on Ray Foster and says he's the man who lost Queen, and then cannot even solve how the titular song gets released and how they get out of the contract with Ray. I know someone who loves the film, and he said "I assume that--" I just cut him off: "Assume! The movie isn't complete if you have to assume!"

I don't even accept the well-worn "It's not a documentary!" rhetoric here. It's "Generic PG-13 Band Movie: The Movie". A movie which adheres more closely to the actual facts would be far more interesting, particularly since how well it plays would come down to the execution - whereas watered-down generic pap can live and die by its generic construction. So yeah, they took the easy way out and made the most generic, mainstream crowd-pleaser imaginable. And it sucks.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #475
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Which movie takes more dramatic license, this or Straight Outta Compton?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #476
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
The fact that you think that Another One Bites the Dust is a "serviceable" song demonstrates your opinions are not to be valued in any way whatsoever.

It was also missed that Roger Taylor wrote Radio Gaga which was a HUGE hit for the band and a highlight of Live Aid.

Let's not also forget that Brian May wrote WE WILL ROCK YOU of all things.

I'd love to see you try to claim those classics are "serviceable."
I clearly said alot of those songs are serviceable, not all. I also went on to say

Quote:
I'd might be more impressed with Another one bites the dust if he hadn't ripped off the bassline from that chic song. But because its bass driven. I dig it, along with Back Chat/Cool Cat (written by deacon) from Hot Space. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to you're my best friend (deacon again) but i'd pump my entire house loudly of My baby does me (deacon/freddie)
so what are you on about? I clearly state I do like some of their songs.

o wow Brian May wrote We Will Rock You? plz educate me sum more on Queen's discography,
I'm aware how big of a hit Radio GaGa was, doesn't mean it's anything special, because it's not. The song is pedestrian at best. I can't account for the public's bad taste, which would explain the popularity of this awful movie.

Last edited by Synchg; 02-20-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #477
Expert Member

Jan 2008

It was recently added to this infographic list:

https://informationisbeautiful.net/v...ue-true-story/

Since there's a lot of discussion about what's true or not, I thought I'd share.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #478

Mar 2011

Radio Gaga was pure 80's MTV trash, New Wave killed the 70's rock bands and then hair metal took over after New Wave diminished in the late 80's.

At least that's the way I remember it
Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #479

Jan 2019

Anyway, getting back to this actual release, I saw this on my new 4K TV last night. Great immersive experience. I think this is a very good, but not great, movie. I separate it into four parts:

1) The beginning of Queen - B+
2) The rise of Queen - A-
3) The fall of Queen - D (truly this part of the movie is just overly long, way too dramatic, and drags the movie down significantly)
4) Live Aid - A++

I still really like this movie but I anticipate that future viewings will skip over what I call Part 3.

It's a very very good UHD presentation and I love the Target Digibook.
Thanks given by:
craigpb (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #480
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Which movie takes more dramatic license, this or Straight Outta Compton?
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/re...mian-rhapsody/

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/re...outta-compton/
Thanks given by:
craigpb (02-21-2019), Heapashifter (02-21-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies