Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Mary Queen of Scots 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 hrs ago
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.90

Creed 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.16

The First Purge 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #1001
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
Shame this aint out here in the UK
I'm in the UK and have two copies as Geoff dared me.
Import the German or the American disc it's cheap
Thanks given by:
Daytrader (09-24-2018), Geoff D (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #1002
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah
Question Best edition

So, what's the consensus on which edition is best now?
Old 11-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #1003
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
They are they same
Old 11-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #1004
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
They are they same
Probably wasn't clear enough: I meant which release? Mi4k, 4k, German, French, etc.?
Old 11-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #1005
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
Gaumontís Blu ray.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #1006

Apr 2015

The 4k from Sony is the one to get. Looks amazing!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #1007
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen AF View Post
The 4k from Sony is the one to get. Looks amazing!
IMO it looks horrible and is sharpened to the point of being unwatchable. It’s like watching the TV screen through chicken coop wire.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 AM   #1008
Special Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

The 4K UHD is the one to get. Contrary to some opinions it looks terrific.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #1009
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
IMO it looks horrible and is sharpened to the point of being unwatchable. It’s like watching the TV screen through chicken coop wire.
I saw this last week and have to agree. I don't see why this is rated so highly. I know it's not off the camera negative, but a good 95% of the movie looks over-sharpened, waxy, or a combination of both. The image is not natural looking and it bothered me consistently throughout. I imagine Sony had to make do with whatever Gaumont gave them, but it doesn't mean the end result looks good. I can handle it if things look a little soft because of it being off an IP or whatever, but the sharpening and/or DNR drove me nuts. I heard that FX sequences were a little over sharpened, but this was something that was ever present.

I also have to say that First Element's Atmos mix is one of the most overcooked, bass heavy tracks I've ever listened to. My sub was firing constantly, and practically at full volume too. Even the score shook my room. By the time we got to
[Show spoiler]Leeloo being captured by the police after she broke out of her generation chamber,
I had enough and had to turn my sub to less than 50% of what it normally is set at. I don't know if this was the original sound design or not, but that was another frustration of mine.

I haven't seen the included BD yet. Perhaps it's a big improvement over the BD, but when viewed on its own and not relative to previous discs I just think this movie is plain ugly.

I remember liking this in high school and now in my early 30s I didn't care for it the second time around. I imagine the issues I mentioned didn't help because I couldn't let myself be absorbed by the movie, but for me I didn't care for the odd shifts in tone, costuming, etc. Oh well. My boyfriend liked it at least when we watched it together. I'll sell this and hopefully it goes to someone who enjoys it more than I did.

Last edited by singhcr; 11-26-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Thanks given by:
Noremac Mij (11-29-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #1010
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
I saw this last week and have to agree. I don't see why this is rated so highly. I know it's not off the camera negative, but a good 95% of the movie looks over-sharpened, waxy, or a combination of both. The image is not natural looking and it bothered me consistently throughout. I imagine Sony had to make do with whatever Gaumont gave them, but it doesn't mean the end result looks good. I can handle it if things look a little soft because of it being off an IP or whatever, but the sharpening and/or DNR drove me nuts. I heard that FX sequences were a little over sharpened, but this was something that was ever present.
It's highly praised because mild sharpening doesn't bother most people the way it does you. Not saying who is right and who is wrong in that equation, but it is what it is. This disc looks amazing other than that flaw.

The overseas disc some praise has plenty of flaws too. It just comes down to which flaws bother you more
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #1011
Expert Member

Aug 2018

I’m not seeing much praise from the regular gurus. If this is an example of your definition of mild sharpening, then I think I would be scared to see what you think heavy sharpening looks like. Does anything like that even exist? This is a magnitude more oversharpened than any other UHD I’ve seen.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #1012

Feb 2018

Iím guessing this is more ridiculous nonsense from people who claim to remember precisely what the sharpening appeared like theatrically in 1997 .
Old 11-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #1013
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
Iím not seeing much praise from the regular gurus. If this is an example of your definition of mild sharpening, then I think I would be scared to see what you think heavy sharpening looks like. Does anything like that even exist? This is a magnitude more oversharpened than any other UHD Iíve seen.
Scream 2 has extreme sharpening. The Italian Job remake has extreme sharpening. Shout's They Live has high levels of sharpening. This, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty mild. Granted the effects shots have it more obvious, and the 4k resolution might make it more obvious, but I'd still put it in the mild camp.

That doesn't mean it won't super bother some folks who are sensitive to it.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #1014
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Scream 2 has extreme sharpening. The Italian Job remake has extreme sharpening. Shout's They Live has high levels of sharpening. This, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty mild. Granted the effects shots have it more obvious, and the 4k resolution might make it more obvious, but I'd still put it in the mild camp.

That doesn't mean it won't super bother some folks who are sensitive to it.
There’s a lovely remaster of that available on some European Blu-rays, no more sharpening. TBH, it’s not so much the sharpening, more that the old master looked crap in general, but the new one looks great:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...1&l=0&i=9&go=1

Last edited by Indiana Jonezzz...; 11-28-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #1015
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
Thereís a lovely remaster of that available on some European Blu-rays, no more sharpening. TBH, itís not so much the sharpening, more that the old master looked crap in general, but the new one looks great:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...1&l=0&i=9&go=1
Yes true, I imported the movie from Italy and it looks a lot better.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #1016
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

It's interesting as each iteration of this release (going back to DVD and BD) by Sony improves with less sharpening although there is always some remaining as it seems baked into whatever source they are using. The UHD BD is not ideal because of this, but all in all, it's pretty solid otherwise. I will say the color in much improved from the Mi4K BD.
Thanks given by:
ROSS.T.G. (11-29-2018), StingingVelvet (11-29-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies