Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
10 hrs ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
The Lover 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
11 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.98
1 day ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66
20 hrs ago
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49
 
Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.82
18 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$119.99
13 hrs ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95
 
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
DealsR4theDevil DealsR4theDevil is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2007
76
Default When upconvert players cost more than HD DVD players

It is truly a sad state of affairs for Toshiba. When you price your "next-gen" product lower than lesser technology and give away 10 free movies with the purchase, it is truly pathetic. How does anybody still believe HD DVD is doing good? Honestly, upconvert players cost more than that A2 crap, and some even cost more than the A3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Elandyll Elandyll is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Elandyll's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
MD
188
1
Default

Some people will not look past the "freebies" and the low price.

But I dare think that the majority will look into the long run, and for what could bring the best possible experience.

Somehow, I tihnk HD DVD has miscalculated their "coup", and attracted the DVD upconvert crowd, or even the "I'll use it as a DVD waiting to see what happens, I don't have a HDTV anyway" crowd.

I dare think that early adopters of large screen HDTVs, investing thousands of dollars, want the best on their TVs, and with only a little research not only will find out which one it is, but also which one has major support (from industry and familly oriented studios) but also which doesn't go the Kmart way and values its customers

If I'm right, those Fire sales, including Black Friday will have minimal to no impact to Software sales. If Freebies are counted, of course, it will, but still in a rather limited scale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
CptGreedle CptGreedle is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
CptGreedle's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
128
5
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle
Default

Something tells me this will not generate huge software sales for HD-DVD. I see DVDs played on those things first, with maybe one or two HD-DVDs in the mix eventually, but they will just buy this until BD comes down to around $299.
Just my 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
haushausman haushausman is offline
Special Member
 
haushausman's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Chicago
12
343
5
Default

That's a good point. I can't believe consumers do not clearly see that this smacks of desperation and is basically a fire/clearance sale.

I was a Sam's Club looking at Upconvert DVD players with my g/f and they were all $100+.

If I knew nothing about this "war", I'd be very afraid to buy into something priced so low.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Porscheman Porscheman is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2007
Default

if blu plays their cards right, they will use this weak promotion to their advantage. What this did do is spike an interest in High def dvd... therefore if blu does a push now, with disney, they could spike the interest in blu's corner...

i think both sides won a bit with the cheapo crap that toshiba pulled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
ClaytonMG ClaytonMG is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ClaytonMG's Avatar
 
May 2006
New Brighton, MN
16
35
1482
2
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haushausman View Post
That's a good point. I can't believe consumers do not clearly see that this smacks of desperation and is basically a fire/clearance sale.

I was a Sam's Club looking at Upconvert DVD players with my g/f and they were all $100+.

If I knew nothing about this "war", I'd be very afraid to buy into something priced so low.
If you actually go to DVDEmpire.com, I am getting into with people on there because in the HD-DVD section, their blogger posted a thing that brags about the low price and finishes the article with "BEAT THAT BLU-RAY!" and then in the Blu-Ray section, another guy keeps bragging about the HD-DVD exclusives and why it was cheaper to get the 360 and HD-DVD add on than it was to get a PS3 (which isn't true by the way).
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
ClaytonMG ClaytonMG is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ClaytonMG's Avatar
 
May 2006
New Brighton, MN
16
35
1482
2
2
1
Default

Sorry, I see he's changed his tune now. It's not the price that was the problem with the PS3, it's the lack of games now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Mikeesracing Mikeesracing is offline
Active Member
 
Mikeesracing's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Kuwait
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikeesracing
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGreedle View Post
Something tells me this will not generate huge software sales for HD-DVD. I see DVDs played on those things first, with maybe one or two HD-DVDs in the mix eventually, but they will just buy this until BD comes down to around $299.
Just my 2
I agree, If consumers don't want pay for a HD player so they wait until the price is 100 dollars or less, They aren't going to pay the extra money for a HD-DVD they will buy a SD-DVD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
SNAP SNAP is offline
Expert Member
 
SNAP's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
HILLSBOROUGH, NJ
Default

Watch it Captain....Toshiba may see your post and start charging 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGreedle View Post
Something tells me this will not generate huge software sales for HD-DVD. I see DVDs played on those things first, with maybe one or two HD-DVDs in the mix eventually, but they will just buy this until BD comes down to around $299.
Just my 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Branden Branden is offline
Senior Member
 
Branden's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Calgary, Alberta
23
506
Default

i've said it before: the name hd-dvd itself perpetuates confusion about hd-dvd. i get the impression there's alot of people out there that think hd-dvd is the same thing as dvd upconversion, and now with hd-dvd players at comparable prices as upconverting players.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
BlackMR2 BlackMR2 is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haushausman View Post
That's a good point. I can't believe consumers do not clearly see that this smacks of desperation and is basically a fire/clearance sale.

I was a Sam's Club looking at Upconvert DVD players with my g/f and they were all $100+.

If I knew nothing about this "war", I'd be very afraid to buy into something priced so low.
Why would you be affraid to buy it you were already looking for an upcoverting DVD player at similar money? Do Free HD movies frighten you? or does having a product that can simply be used as an upconverting player at a similar price scare you?

:-/

I hope my post hasn't scared you.

You guys should be thankful you can buy players at the prices you can. The equivalent of the HD-A2 cost me $550 US in my country a week ago and only came with 4 movies.

Bottom line is that is still outputs a good picture and good audio so i can deal with paying that much. But seriously you guys have it great over there... although recent figures suggest we are much wealthier than you guys but our housing debt is a lot worse
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
tron3 tron3 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tron3's Avatar
 
Aug 2004
New Jersey
3
Default

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-A35...363754&sr=8-10

$390 at Amazon for the Toshiba HD-A35 1080p HD DVD Player. They are just trying to push out the old stock and gain some supporters in the process.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
stockstar1138 stockstar1138 is offline
Banned
 
stockstar1138's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

this is why this a2 deal is not going to work. if somebody buys an a2 they will

a. watch upconverted DVDs, no impact of the war
b. be buying a second player, thus not really creating a new hd dvd buyer
c. watch hd dvds.

c. is the only one the affects this war. now lets analyze c, further. what we know is c. is cheap, he doesn't spend a whole lot of money otherwise he would have bought this thing earlier. thus, c. will not be shelling out a ton of money on software. what we also know about c. is that he isn't a blatent hd dvd fanboy, otherwise he would have probably taken the plunge long ago, this means he has nothing against blu-ray except the current price. now how many ppl on here have complained about the quality of dvd after being exposed to blu? lots. now what happens when c. can't get certain movies on hd dvd, because they are blu-ray exclusive and he settles for dvd of the movie. he is going to think it looks awful and go out and buy a cheap (spring 08) blu player. remember he is not a fanboy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
JAGUAR1977 JAGUAR1977 is offline
Special Member
 
JAGUAR1977's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMR2 View Post
Why would you be affraid to buy it you were already looking for an upcoverting DVD player at similar money? Do Free HD movies frighten you? or does having a product that can simply be used as an upconverting player at a similar price scare you?

:-/

I hope my post hasn't scared you.

You guys should be thankful you can buy players at the prices you can. The equivalent of the HD-A2 cost me $550 US in my country a week ago and only came with 4 movies.

Bottom line is that is still outputs a good picture and good audio so i can deal with paying that much. But seriously you guys have it great over there... although recent figures suggest we are much wealthier than you guys but our housing debt is a lot worse
For those in the know it's a great price for an upscaling DVD player with free HD-DVD's, or a second HD-DVD player.

For the masses, if they can actually get their hands on one, it'll be used primarily for DVD's, which when you're selling these at huge losses, isn't great for your bottom line.

I wouldn't call anyone for jumping on one of these players, but to suggest it's anymore than a last ditch attempt to stay in the game this Q4 is foolhardy.

Last edited by JAGUAR1977; 11-06-2007 at 03:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Wet1 Wet1 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2007
CT
Default

While I own and enjoy my PS3 and the 75-100 (?) BR movies I have, I'll admit to giving in to a $99 A3 HD DVD player (plus ten free movies) this past week.

Do I think it's desperation on the part of Toshiba? Not totally. They were cleaning house with the A2 and it makes a lot of sense to do so in a way to create a lot of buzz before the holiday season (plus get more software consumers in the field before the holidays). It worked. I know Toshiba is heavily subsidising, Sony is too. Let's not forget the amount Toshiba has made off of DVD royalties (I'm sure it's in the BILLIONS), so both camps are willing to do what it takes to win the HDM pot this time around.

Do I feel bad about buying into HD DVD? Yes and no. I'm a firm believer only one format is desired / needed and it's in everyone's best interest to have a single format. I've heavily supported BR throughout this silly war (and will continue to do so). I thought this thing would be coming to an end by the beginning of 2008, but clearly there's no end in sight. Frustrated by this war, I've waited long enough holding out on content from several major studios. With this said, Toshiba and BB GIVING me an A3 and ten movies for $99 is more than enough incentive for me to go neutral. There aren't that many HD DVD titles I really want, but I think it would have been foolish of me to pass up this deal.

It cost me almost nothing to buy into HD DVD, it significantly increased the amount of HDM available to me, and I basically have very little to lose. If a year from now HD DVD is dead (unlikely at this point?), I have a player to play my limited HD DVD library with and I'll be able to buy wanted HD DVD titles on ebay for peanuts. I spend thousands every year upgrading projectors (which depreciate at the speed of light) and other A/V equipment throughout our house... if I lose <$500 on buying into HD DVD and it fails, I won't shed a tear.

With that said, I still want BR to win this thing, I'm just not happy with the time frame it looks like it could take.

Just my 2 cents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Sling Sling is offline
Special Member
 
Sling's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post
While I own and enjoy my PS3 and the 75-100 (?) BR movies I have, I'll admit to giving in to a $99 A3 HD DVD player (plus ten free movies) this past week.
Sounds like you wasted money that could have used been used for BR movies



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post
Do I think it's desperation on the part of Toshiba? Not totally. They were cleaning house with the A2 and it makes a lot of sense to do so in a way to create a lot of buzz before the holiday season (plus get more software consumers in the field before the holidays). It worked. I know Toshiba is heavily subsidising, Sony is too. Let's not forget the amount Toshiba has made off of DVD royalties (I'm sure it's in the BILLIONS), so both camps are willing to do what it takes to win the HDM pot this time around..
Toshiba dumping 1080i product on the consumer selling it well below cost not making a red cent...Topping that off giving up 10 movies for free...Do the math man..Toshiba is drowning.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post
Do I feel bad about buying into HD DVD? Yes and no. I'm a firm believer only one format is desired / needed and it's in everyone's best interest to have a single format. I've heavily supported BR throughout this silly war (and will continue to do so). I thought this thing would be coming to an end by the beginning of 2008, but clearly there's no end in sight. Frustrated by this war, I've waited long enough holding out on content from several major studios. With this said, Toshiba and BB GIVING me an A3 and ten movies for $99 is more than enough incentive for me to go neutral. There aren't that many HD DVD titles I really want, but I think it would have been foolish of me to pass up this deal. ..
You see no end to this war because consumers like you yourself support both formats.You don't support Blu-ray you support this war




Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post
It cost me almost nothing to buy into HD DVD, it significantly increased the amount of HDM available to me, and I basically have very little to lose. If a year from now HD DVD is dead (unlikely at this point?), I have a player to play my limited HD DVD library with and I'll be able to buy wanted HD DVD titles on ebay for peanuts. I spend thousands every year upgrading projectors (which depreciate at the speed of light) and other A/V equipment throughout our house... if I lose <$500 on buying into HD DVD and it fails, I won't shed a tear.
To bad the money you have wasted couldn't be put into the superior format which is Blu-ray but hey you don't like the format war if that makes any sense.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post
With that said, I still want BR to win this thing,
No you dont or you would be Blu-ray exclusive.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post
I'm just not happy with the time frame it looks like it could take.,
Your not happy with the time frame yet you support HD-DUD..hmm your lost and scared.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post
Just my 2 cents.
Stop fooling yourself.Your opinions worth 1 cent.

Last edited by Sling; 11-06-2007 at 04:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #17
sega_smasher sega_smasher is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
sega_smasher's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Santa Monica, CA PSN: SecretAgentHam
103
1
Default

thats harsh sling. the dude is just giving his opinion. what kind of place is this where someone who just wants to speak gets picked apart? cmon guys, play nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
SNAP SNAP is offline
Expert Member
 
SNAP's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
HILLSBOROUGH, NJ
Default

Good going Sega, it sounds like a lot of people, on both sides, are losing sleep over this format war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega_smasher View Post
thats harsh sling. the dude is just giving his opinion. what kind of place is this where someone who just wants to speak gets picked apart? cmon guys, play nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #19
Sling Sling is offline
Special Member
 
Sling's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega_smasher View Post
thats harsh sling. the dude is just giving his opinion. what kind of place is this where someone who just wants to speak gets picked apart? cmon guys, play nice.
Harsh...not at all.He wants format war to end yet supports both topping that off with Toshiba has a worth while strategy...Come on sega_smasher...His post was bull.
new members joining this forum need to know his 'don't make sense direction'. prolongs such war.

Last edited by Sling; 11-06-2007 at 05:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #20
SDG SDG is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
SDG's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Arkansas
Default

Name 10 must have hd dvd movies that cant be aquired from a Blu supporter. The uninformed person that buys it will get 10 movies free. What future move will be a must have hd dvd in the near future. Long term, this may help hd dvd a little. Short term, i dont think it will help them. I expect to see their attach rate #s go down.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Do all Blu ray players upconvert? Newbie Discussion lateralus85 4 09-09-2008 03:10 AM
Upconvert DVD players Blu-ray Movies - North America Alaskankaijudude 6 02-27-2008 04:08 AM
The Digital Bits states Blu-ray stand alone players selling More than HD-DVD players Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology PaulGo 15 01-04-2008 07:58 PM
DVDs on Blu-ray players vs. DVD upconvert players on HDTV ? Newbie Discussion clawhn 20 12-16-2007 07:19 PM
Fox: 10 Million BD players versus 100 Thousand HD DVD players Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology zombie 54 08-02-2006 05:26 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 PM.