Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Les MisÚrables 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
21 hrs ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XIV (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
The Experts (Blu-ray)
$12.49
4 hrs ago
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
 
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
The Package (Blu-ray)
$12.49
21 hrs ago
Serpico 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Hustle (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Tropic Thunder 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #30041
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Did you guys see the Golden Globes last night, Netflix dominated all the Awards. It was a Great Show, all the Streamers were on Display!

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/netfli...for-streamers/
Basically a case of letting the kids play while the grown ups have time out!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #30042
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
235
834
80
243
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Did you guys see the Golden Globes last night, Netflix dominated all the Awards. It was a Great Show, all the Streamers were on Display!

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/netfli...for-streamers/
Perhaps you should look at
TV Ratings: Golden Globes Crater, Headed for Multi-Year Low - Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Ratings for the Golden Globes crashed hard Sunday, with early numbers for the ceremony coming in far below last year's telecast.

Fast national ratings — which aren't fully time zone-adjusted and not entirely accurate — show NBC's broadcast averaging just 5.42 million viewers and a 1.2 rating in the key ad demographic of adults 18-49. Both are down more than 60 percent from the preliminary figures from last year (14.76 million and 3.8).

The 2020 Golden Globes, which aired in early January and had an NFL playoff game as a lead-in, averaged 18.33 million viewers and a 4.7 in the 18-49 demographic in the finals.
So you probably didn't even watch it.

Some of the content was good, but for a year where there was a distinct lack of content to choose from, people didn't care at all. Most likely turned the channel to watch something else. The Golden Globe was barely passible entertainment IMHO.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #30043
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

I never watch awards show. I like what I like and sometimes they are in line with the awards winner and sometimes they’re not.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JohnAV (03-01-2021), Steedeel (03-01-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #30044
kfbkfb kfbkfb is offline
Active Member
 
kfbkfb's Avatar
 
Jan 2016
Midwest USA
Default

https://orbytv.com/
^^^
...the Orby TV service has ended.


The Government let Sirius and XM satellite radio services merge, why not DirecTV and Dish?


Kirk Bayne
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #30045
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
235
834
80
243
31
2
Default

Another couple of players
https://www.reavon.com/
REAVON UBR-X100 (799€)
REAVON UBR-X200 (1599€)
play SACD/DVD-Audio also

x200 rear

AVS thread

If this French company start selling them in the states, might do real well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #30046
bhampton bhampton is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
633
2152
39
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfbkfb View Post
https://orbytv.com/
^^^
...the Orby TV service has ended.


The Government let Sirius and XM satellite radio services merge, why not DirecTV and Dish?


Kirk Bayne
Never heard of Orby but this is an example of the here today gone tomorrow nature of things that are beyond user control.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #30047
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Another couple of players
https://www.reavon.com/
REAVON UBR-X100 (799€)
REAVON UBR-X200 (1599€)
play SACD/DVD-Audio also
[Show spoiler]

x200 rear

AVS thread

If this French company start selling them in the states, might do real well.
It is always nice to see more 4K disc players, but both of these are expensive.

The UBR-X100 works out to $964.61 once you convert those Euros to dollars while the UBR-X200 costs $1930.12. Of those that own/want 4K disc players, I wonder what percentage of them are willing to pay such prices for a 4K disc player? Several of us here would, but we've always been "special" like that.

We need more affordable 4K disc players, not just premium models, if 4K disc players are to have much chance of getting into more homes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #30048
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
It is always nice to see more 4K disc players, but both of these are expensive.

The UBR-X100 works out to $964.61 once you convert those Euros to dollars while the UBR-X200 costs $1930.12. Of those that own/want 4K disc players, I wonder what percentage of them are willing to pay such prices for a 4K disc player? Several of us here would, but we've always been "special" like that.

We need more affordable 4K disc players, not just premium models, if 4K disc players are to have much chance of getting into more homes.
We have those! PS5 and Xbox.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #30049
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
We have those! PS5 and Xbox.
As much as I want to believe that these new gaming consoles are helping to get people interested in 4K discs, I am not so sure that they are having much impact. These new consoles are kind of expensive and especially so to someone who just wants to upgrade a blu-ray player and who does not care about video gaming.

I have been trying to convince my deep pocketed sister to buy a 4K disc player, but she balks at the prices when she sees that brand new, brand name, blu-ray players sell for under $100 now. She does not see double, triple or quintuple the difference in video quality, so she is not willing to spend that much more to not get it. I sure can't sell her on the idea of spending $500 on a new console when she doesn't play video games other than Mahjong.

Last edited by Vilya; 03-02-2021 at 04:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #30050
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
As much as I want to believe that these new gaming consoles are helping to get people interested in 4K discs, I am not so sure that they are having much impact. These new consoles are kind of expensive and especially so to someone who just wants to upgrade a blu-ray player and who does not care about video gaming.

I have been trying to convince my deep pocketed sister to buy a 4K disc player, but she balks at the prices when she sees that brand new, brand name, blu-ray players sell for under $100 now. She does not see double, triple or quintuple the difference in video quality, so she is not willing to spend that much more to not get it. I sure can't sell her on the idea of spending $500 on a new console when she doesn't play video games other than Mahjong.
Keep the faith, the consoles will help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #30051
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Keep the faith, the consoles will help.
They won't help my sister and those like her. People like her will not spend that much just to gain the ability to play 4K discs.

The new Tascam 4K disc player sells for $599.99 and these new Reavon's are selling for far more: $964.61 and $1930.12. These are not prices that attract new people to the format; they appeal to those who are already sold upon it. We need new, better, and affordable 4K disc players to grow the format because the existing low cost models are just not very good and their flimsy build quality says "junk" as soon as you touch one of them.

Last edited by Vilya; 03-02-2021 at 04:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #30052
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
They won't help my sister and those like her.
In my experience, woman tend to not be bothered about quality in general.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #30053
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
In my experience, woman tend to not be bothered about quality in general.
I do not agree with that sweeping generality... at all.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Misioon_Odisea (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #30054
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I do not agree with that sweeping generality... at all.
I can only speak from my experience having grown up with two sisters and having known all their friends and then working as a youth worker (in a drama/performing arts college) for many years, I don’t know a single woman who is interested in the quality of material they watch. In my 45 years, I have never once had a woman question the quality of what they watch. Several girlfriends and not one was bothered about Blu-ray compared to DVD and more recently streaming, even ladies who liked films.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #30055
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I can only speak from my experience having grown up with two sisters and having known all their friends and then working as a youth worker (in a drama/performing arts college) for many years, I don’t know a single woman who is interested in the quality of material they watch. In my 45 years, I have never once had a woman question the quality of what they watch. Several girlfriends and not one was bothered about Blu-ray compared to DVD and more recently streaming, even ladies who liked films.
While I know an 83 year-old woman who cares enough about quality to buy blu-rays. She has a pretty good collection, too.

Anecdotes like ours can always be countered making them useless for wider extrapolation such as using them to describe an entire gender.

Last edited by Vilya; 03-02-2021 at 05:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #30056
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
While I know an 83 year-old woman who cares enough about quality to buy blu-rays. She has a pretty good collection, too.
You have to admit that is a rare case though? Certainly not typical. I did say in general, not saying those marriage worthy women are not out there, somewhere!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #30057
Ender14 Ender14 is offline
Special Member
 
Ender14's Avatar
 
Dec 2014
Georgia
386
1079
186
404
120
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Keep the faith, the consoles will help.
Once people can actually purchase one, which at this rate might be Christmas if we're lucky. I've been on a waiting list for one of the new graphics cards since September. EVGA setup a virtual queue at that time and as soon as cards become available they notify the next person in the queue who then has 8 hours to purchase the card or it goes to the next person. They still have not gotten to me which show how little stock they are actually getting.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-02-2021), Vilya (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #30058
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
You have to admit that is a rare case though? Certainly not typical. I did say in general, not saying those marriage worthy women are not out there, somewhere!
I don't know how rare she is among her peers; I don't know very many octogenarians to begin with. I love being the youngster when I hang out with them, though.

My older sister buys blu-rays as did my late sister; I know several women that buy blu-rays. They don't buy as many as I do, but not very many people do.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #30059
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
Once people can actually purchase one, which at this rate might be Christmas if we're lucky. I've been on a waiting list for one of the new graphics cards since September. EVGA setup a virtual queue at that time and as soon as cards become available they notify the next person in the queue who then has 8 hours to purchase the card or it goes to the next person. They still have not gotten to me which show how little stock they are actually getting.
I gave up even looking for a new graphics card, but thankfully I have a couple of computer professional friends that keep their eyes open for me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #30060
cpr3584 cpr3584 is offline
Senior Member
 
cpr3584's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
USA
29
51
1
78
Default

You can't even get one of the new consoles right now if you tried, unless you want to pay $300+ from a scalper. It looks like they will not be available in-store until at least the end of this year. I want to upgrade to the new Xbox so I can watch 4k discs, but I'll have to wait until I can walk into a store or order one online like a regular person. Until then, I'm still buying 4K discs to future proof, but still enjoying my standard BDs. They look great upscaled.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (03-02-2021), Steedeel (03-02-2021)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14 AM.