Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
So I Married an Axe Murderer 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.55
4 hrs ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Les Misťrables 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
1 day ago
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XIV (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
 
Serpico 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy (Blu-ray)
$51.96
3 hrs ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
 
Death Wish 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
Tropic Thunder 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49
 
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #9041
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
[Show spoiler]
It seems we have more activity in this thread when we do venture outside the boundaries. Look what happens when anyone tries to call us back into formation: everyone just clams up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #9042
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
It seems we have more activity in this thread when we do venture outside the boundaries. Look what happens when anyone tries to call us back into formation: everyone just clams up.
It's when we venture outside the boundaries that I get a chance to post comments on this thread, seeing as I know next to nothing about streaming movies.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (05-19-2018), Vilya (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #9043
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
It's when we venture outside the boundaries that I get a chance to post comments on this thread, seeing as I know next to nothing about streaming movies.
I like you even more now!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #9044
flyry flyry is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
141
504
143
73
482
60
7
64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I'm gonna go off topic
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (05-19-2018), Vilya (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #9045
alchav21 alchav21 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Yeah, our plan just bumped up in price, but we're getting ready to move to another state and not changing anything for the moment. We don't have the phone plan, we do have some package that included Encore. Which was great before Xfinity pulled a fast one and wouldn't support the app on my KS (I refuse to hook up a box to it) once Starz lumped it into their app. My wife's been doing the internet research in the areas, but it is such a low priority. Finding a house that we both like that suits our needs and accommodates my MiL without taking out a mortgage is our main focus once we get there.

Okay Donster, you are moving and you say Internet is low priority. I think you better move that up a little. Depending on where you are moving, they have a lot of new housing developments. Like I said, it's nice to have Fiber, or at least AT&T or Verizon. I know you guys don't think high Bandwidth, but with all the Streaming that is where we are going. Pick a house with at least Structured Cat5/6 Wiring, and plenty of Electrical Outlets. If you like Barbequeing don't forget the outlet on your covered patio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #9046
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
It's when we venture outside the boundaries that I get a chance to post comments on this thread, seeing as I know next to nothing about streaming movies.


Please take this the right way because I do enjoy our conversations, but I'm confused...We have to be off topic for you to have an opinion on anything in this thread? That would be like me going into a PS4 thread and talking about Xbox games. I mean, I've been part of the forum long enough to know that happens occasionally in some threads, but it makes no sense when it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Okay Donster, you are moving and you say Internet is low priority. I think you better move that up a little. Depending on where you are moving, they have a lot of new housing developments. Like I said, it's nice to have Fiber, or at least AT&T or Verizon. I know you guys don't think high Bandwidth, but with all the Streaming that is where we are going. Pick a house with at least Structured Cat5/6 Wiring, and plenty of Electrical Outlets. If you like Barbequeing don't forget the outlet on your covered patio.


Move along
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #9047
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post


Please take this the right way because I do enjoy our conversations, but I'm confused...We have to be off topic for you to have an opinion on anything in this thread? That would be like me going into a PS4 thread and talking about Xbox games. I mean, I've been part of the forum long enough to know that happens occasionally in some threads, but it makes no sense when it does





Move along
Maybe, just maybe, and itís just an opinion, the guy feels like he will be on the receiving end of sarcasm, insults and bombarded with insulting gifs if he makes a comment that is not technically accurate or seems outlandish to others?

Just a thought.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #9048
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Please take this the right way because I do enjoy our conversations, but I'm confused...We have to be off topic for you to have an opinion on anything in this thread? That would be like me going into a PS4 thread and talking about Xbox games. I mean, I've been part of the forum long enough to know that happens occasionally in some threads, but it makes no sense when it does
Well, I'm hardly likely to expect anybody to deliberately go off-topic for my benefit. That would be silly. However, if a conversation veers in a slightly different direction to what this thread is about, I may be tempted to post a comment if it's on a subject I know about.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-19-2018), The_Donster (05-19-2018), Vilya (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #9049
Groot Groot is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2015
Thanos Cock
14
Default

For those against buying digital films, as I’m too lazy to re-read all the posts, do most of you avoid streaming services like Netflix despite their original content or do you watch those and just still prefer physical media?

There’s a back on topic post for ya.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #9050
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
For those against buying digital films, as Iím too lazy to re-read all the posts, do most of you avoid streaming services like Netflix despite their original content or do you watch those and just still prefer physical media?

Thereís a back on topic post for ya.
I use Netflix but itís just a compliment to cable for me. I watch it for the tv shows. Sometimes I watch Netflix exclusive films because I simply have no choice. Canít get Hush Or Annihilation on Blu-ray in my country or indeed any other country (Region B)

I obviously adore Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray and the source is very important. Streaming is still woefully short of the very best disc quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #9051
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Well, I'm hardly likely to expect anybody to deliberately go off-topic for my benefit. That would be silly. However, if a conversation veers in a slightly different direction to what this thread is about, I may be tempted to post a comment if it's on a subject I know about.
And I feel you are welcome to do so, especially when no one was discussing anything on topic at that time. The thread police are a vigilant bunch.

Sometimes people monitor a thread on a subject they are not well versed on, but interested in, because they want to learn more about the topic.

It has been pointed out that it "Looks like it is the same script, different day for most." It's not exactly a surprise that the same regular posters post the same opinions; I doubt many minds ever get changed in these "vs." type threads and I, for one, never had changing anyone's opinion as a goal.

While I am staunchly a fan of physical media, I have learned quite a bit about digital and streaming that I did not know before. I, for the first time, have a digital library with 97 titles in it- but haven't watched anything in it as I have all but one of those titles on disc and I don't want to feel unclean.

I have also experimented with subscription streaming, namely Netflix, and while the overall quality was quite good, I found the selection of movies to be a big disappointment. Their strength lies in their low cost, original programming, and TV show offerings. Even so, I grew bored of it and I have suspended my service.

I have Amazon Prime, but I have seldom used the streaming aspect of it. I started to dabble with it more since coming to this thread. I found that Prime streaming is often a teaser service that offers you the first season of show in the hope of getting you hooked and then getting you to either subscribe to one of their many channels or to rent episodes- a ploy that I am sure works on many, but not stubborn ol' me.

I have been a Prime member since the program's inception in 2005 and a regular customer there since 2004. Clearly, the benefit of Prime for me is the two day shipping of discs.

In concluding my morning sermon, I must add that in the time that I have been here, methodically destroying this thread , I have met some very interesting people, not all of whom agree with me, but nonetheless are fun to converse with, both on topic and off. I'd treat you all to lunch if I could.

Last edited by Vilya; 05-19-2018 at 02:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (05-19-2018), dublinbluray108 (05-23-2018), Steedeel (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #9052
Groot Groot is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2015
Thanos Cock
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I use Netflix but itís just a compliment to cable for me. I watch it for the tv shows. Sometimes I watch Netflix exclusive films because I simply have no choice. Canít get Hush Or Annihilation on Blu-ray in my country or indeed any other country (Region B)

I obviously adore Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray and the source is very important. Streaming is still woefully short of the very best disc quality.
Awe. I donít find the Netflix quality terrible, at least here in the states. Now Amazon Prime has some questionable quality as they compress the hell out of some movies. An example, the ending of Dirty Dancing looks completely red. I noticed it was on there and scrolled to the end to watch it and was horrified at how bad it was.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #9053
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Awe. I don’t find the Netflix quality terrible, at least here in the states. Now Amazon Prime has some questionable quality as they compress the hell out of some movies. An example, the ending of Dirty Dancing looks completely red. I noticed it was on there and scrolled to the end to watch it and was horrified at how bad it was.
No, it isn’t awful quality. The 4K looks smashing but it’s still not disc. For something like The New Avengers film, I wouldn’t dream of watching a streaming version.

It’s just the way I am.

Amazon I have only sampled once. It was 1080p and it looked fine. Like you say though, it didn’t hold up to various demanding scenes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #9054
Leslie Dame Leslie Dame is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Leslie Dame's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Germany
1002
1857
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I use Netflix but itís just a compliment to cable for me. I watch it for the tv shows. Sometimes I watch Netflix exclusive films because I simply have no choice. Canít get Hush Or Annihilation on Blu-ray in my country or indeed any other country (Region B)

I obviously adore Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray and the source is very important. Streaming is still woefully short of the very best disc quality.
I don't do any kind of streaming services, but I was interested in Hush and Geraldís Game. My niece has Netflix so I watched both at her place last year. I thought Hush was ok and Geraldís Game vastly overrated. The way people praised Geraldís Game on message boards made you think it was the new The Shining or something. Also watched The Babysitter which was awful. We binged the first season of Iron Fist and it was so boring it literally put us to sleep.
There is very little Netflix has to offer that appeals to me. Their movie selection pretty much sucks, most of their documentaries are cheap and lame, and I'm not the least bit interested in their original series.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #9055
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
141
904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dame View Post
I don't do any kind of streaming services, but I was interested in Hush and Geraldís Game. My niece has Netflix so I watched both at her place last year. I thought Hush was ok and Geraldís Game vastly overrated. The way people praised Geraldís Game on message boards made you think it was the new The Shining or something. Also watched The Babysitter which was awful. We binged the first season of Iron Fist and it was so boring it literally put us to sleep.
There is very little Netflix has to offer that appeals to me. Their movie selection pretty much sucks, most of their documentaries are cheap and lame, and I'm not the least bit interested in their original series.
I watch a lot of Louis Therous Docs who I think is top class and there is a boatload of his stuff on there. Also stuff like The UK Office, Derek and loads of BBC and ITV drama that I somehow missed from way back. I love Stranger Things also.
Geralds game was worth watching but like you say, hardly a masterpiece.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #9056
alchav21 alchav21 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Awe. I donít find the Netflix quality terrible, at least here in the states. Now Amazon Prime has some questionable quality as they compress the hell out of some movies. An example, the ending of Dirty Dancing looks completely red. I noticed it was on there and scrolled to the end to watch it and was horrified at how bad it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
No, it isnít awful quality. The 4K looks smashing but itís still not disc. For something like The New Avengers film, I wouldnít dream of watching a streaming version.

Itís just the way I am.

Amazon I have only sampled once. It was 1080p and it looked fine. Like you say though, it didnít hold up to various demanding scenes.

Well I think I'll put my two cents in here, I want to comment on your Streaming. As you know I have Fiber feed to a Switch, no Modem my ISP set up is more like a Network. It's a Gigabit Switch so all the Ports have the full Symmetrical 75Mbps. Each Port gives a separate IP Address, so my Sony UHD TV has it's own Port and the full Bandwidth for the Streaming. I Stream from Amazon, and their 4K is Fantastic and their 1080P HD is Disc Quality to me. That's why I say Streaming is all dependant on your equipment and set up. Wireless is good for Mobile Devices, but not for your Home Theater.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #9057
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
522
4704
3706
1288
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
That's why I say Streaming is all dependant on your equipment and set up.
You forgot one thing; it is very dependent upon your ISP.

I have adequate hardware, both modem and router, and my ISP is still as lame as it can be. Even if I bought the latest and the greatest home networking hardware, I would still be stuck with my same sorry arse ISP.

I went a full week with no internet service between 8 PM- 10 PM. Nothing I own, or could own, would have compensated for their lousy service.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #9058
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I'd treat you all to lunch if I could.
And if I lived in the States, I'd gladly accept.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (05-19-2018), Vilya (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #9059
alchav21 alchav21 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
You forgot one thing; it is very dependent upon your ISP.

I have adequate hardware, both modem and router, and my ISP is still as lame as it can be. Even if I bought the latest and the greatest home networking hardware, I would still be stuck with my same sorry arse ISP.

I went a full week with no internet service between 8 PM- 10 PM. Nothing I own, or could own, would have compensated for their lousy service.

Yes you're right, you need a dependent ISP, and it looks like they found your problem for now. Those old Cable Providers are on an old system, that depends heavily on Load Balance where heavy users are moved to balance the system. As Streaming becomes more popular, everyone is a heavy user. Streaming is going to expose the weak Providers and the Facilities they use.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #9060
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Sometimes people monitor a thread on a subject they are not well versed on, but interested in, because they want to learn more about the topic.
That's really the reason I started to read the posts on this thread. Although I am a physical media fan and always will be, I would still like to expand my knowledge on other alternatives, and this thread is a good source of information for that.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (05-19-2018), Vilya (05-19-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19 PM.