Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Woody Allen Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Underworld: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$64.99

Pan's Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 day ago
Mad Max Anthology 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.99

On the Rocks (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 day ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
6 hrs ago
Don't Breathe 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Spider Woman Strikes Back (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
Casual Sex? (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Uncut Gems 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.52

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs

Old 07-23-2021, 03:12 AM   #621
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

We Q/C and calibrate a lot of Sony's A90J Master Series OLED TVs and they come out of the box close to a professionally calibrated TV. Sony does a quick Q/C, sets the white point, and calibration on the A90J at the factory.

If you don't want the a professional calibration I suggest putting the A90J in the "Custom" picture mode for daytime use and use the "Cinema" mode for low ambient light viewing.

Very nice BD player to pair with Sony's A90J!
Thanks given by:
Tom C (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:20 AM   #622
Special Member

Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
We Q/C and calibrate a lot of Sony's A90J Master Series OLED TVs and they come out of the box close to a professionally calibrated TV. Sony does a quick Q/C, sets the white point, and calibration on the A90J at the factory.

If you don't want the a professional calibration I suggest putting the A90J in the "Custom" picture mode for daytime use and use the "Cinema" mode for low ambient light viewing.

Very nice BD player to pair with Sony's A90J!
Robert, I might not have to worry about calibrating it further since Sony does a quick Q/C at factory -- and, therefore, comes out of box very well calibrated, right?

About the RTINGS.COM calibration settings for A90J before they reviewed it -- do you agree with all of it's calibration settings? I know it's a lot of detail when you look at each RTINGS setting from top (of list) to bottom (of list), but you're thoughts on it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #623
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Yes, Sony's A90J come out of the box reasonably close to a professional calibrated TV. Use the Custom picture mode for bright room use and Cinema for dark room.

Every TV is very different, as all of the components and the OLED module itself have +-tolerances so when you add up all of the variables a professionally calibrated TV will have different settings for each parameter.

I would not recommend using settings from a different TV.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:09 PM   #624
Special Member

Jan 2006

Quote:
Yes, Sony's A90J come out of the box reasonably close to a professional calibrated TV. Use the Custom picture mode for bright room use and Cinema for dark room.

Every TV is very different, as all of the components and the OLED module itself have +-tolerances so when you add up all of the variables a professionally calibrated TV will have different settings for each parameter.

Good to know. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:41 AM   #625
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

My declawed cat tried using my Sony OLED screen as a scratching post and left some light scratches on it. Is there anything that can be use to remove these scratches? They are hardly noticeable but once I saw it, now I can't unsee it.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #626
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I don't think there is a fix, but here's the best method to try.

Use a soft microfiber cloth (the one that looks like a small cotton towel) and rub the scratches in a back and forth and up and down motion with moderate pressure. If needed you can add some distilled warm water to the microfiber cloth and then use a clean dry microfiber cloth to wipe off the distilled water.

Please don't blame the cat they are doing what comes natural to them.
Thanks given by:
Cortiz (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #627
Special Member

Jan 2006

Quote:
I don't think there is a fix, but here's the best method to try.

Use a soft microfiber cloth (the one that looks like a small cotton towel) and rub the scratches in a back and forth and up and down motion with moderate pressure. If needed you can add some distilled warm water to the microfiber cloth and then use a clean dry microfiber cloth to wipe off the distilled water.

Please don't blame the cat they are doing what comes natural to them.
...then you might want to rig up an "OLED fence" or a baby gate for your "fur baby".
Thanks given by:
Cortiz (07-25-2021), Tom C (07-26-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:03 PM   #628

Jun 2016

Quote:

Robert, I remember awhile back you were in a video with FOMO where you talked about possibly attaching a subwoofer to the A90J headphone port like some Sony tv's were capable of doing a few years back. I think you said you were going to check with Sony to see if they were going to allow that with a future update. Have you heard any rumors on that? The sound from the tv speakers are actually not that bad, but of course lack the deep bass a subwoofer would provide. I think I know the answer already as the companies would prefer that you spend more money buying one of their soundbars, than add that feature to the tv.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #629
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Sorry to say the new Media Tech chip does not permit the headphone output to be used for the external sub woofer.
Thanks given by:
wxman2003 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #630

Jul 2021

New A90 owner here, inadvertently... I actually ordered the A80 from Amazon and to my surprise, an A90 was delivered. Years ago I ordered a SSD hard drive and they sent me 3. Amazon seems to get things mixed up once in a while. No complaints here I suppose.

I'm replacing a C9 in the bedroom. C9 is still a great panel, not that old, but wanted to bump the PQ a bit. I don't game in the bedroom either so I think Sony over LG makes sense as well.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #631
Special Member

Jan 2006
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by criskillian7 View Post
New A90 owner here, inadvertently... I actually ordered the A80 from Amazon and to my surprise, an A90 was delivered. Years ago I ordered a SSD hard drive and they sent me 3. Amazon seems to get things mixed up once in a while. No complaints here I suppose.

I'm replacing a C9 in the bedroom. C9 is still a great panel, not that old, but wanted to bump the PQ a bit. I don't game in the bedroom either so I think Sony over LG makes sense as well.
As an Amazon employee, I gotta say that you're a lucky guy to score an A90 rather than the A80 you ordered!! And I'd be in heaven if I received 3 SSD drives instead of just 1!!!

I think some of us "Amazonians" (Amazon employees) have been having a weird kind of "brain fog" lately -- you're case is not at all an isolated one. Earlier this year, you may have seen a news story that got national attention: a family somewhere in the northeast U.S. got about 100 boxes of PPE from Amazon and did not order them!! Classify it under strange but true, but it was no harm-no foul for all concerned.

Even Amazon's not perfect, but boy did you cash in!! Congrats!
Old 07-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #632
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

he sure is as I continue to get my Amazon orders dumped on the street, crushed, damaged etc....oh and did I mention a day or two late. . Yup I'm a happy Prime customer.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:18 AM   #633

Jul 2010
Long Island, NY
Default BD Player Zoom Feature via HDMI: Will Your OLED TV Block It?

Zoom is an important and fun feature for me though practically no BD players have it. All Oppo models have zoom, though unlike my Pioneer LX500, careless designers omitted control to center on the screen the desired part of the zoomed image. But as Pioneer refuses to issue region free firmware Iím keeping my recently Oppo overhauled 95.

I donít yet own an OLED TV but Iíd appreciate if OLED owners here would run this test: While playing a BD movie hit the zoom button and see if the OLED TV blocks the video and/or audio signal fed to it via HDMI, as this poster had experienced.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hisense/com...ct_ratio_help/
Old 08-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #634
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chane View Post
Zoom is an important and fun feature for me though practically no BD players have it. All Oppo models have zoom, though unlike my Pioneer LX500, careless designers omitted control to center on the screen the desired part of the zoomed image. But as Pioneer refuses to issue region free firmware Iím keeping my recently Oppo overhauled 95.

I donít yet own an OLED TV but Iíd appreciate if OLED owners here would run this test: While playing a BD movie hit the zoom button and see if the OLED TV blocks the video and/or audio signal fed to it via HDMI, as this poster had experienced.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hisense/com...ct_ratio_help/
Some TV manufacturers donít let you zoom on 4K signals. This is not a new phenom.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #635

Aug 2021

I've had this tv for a few weeks now and am really loving it. Been revisiting older titles just to see how they look on the screen and have been consistently blown away. Highly recommended.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (08-09-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 03:38 AM   #636

Dec 2012
USA

I just bought a A90J and find it interesting that it supposedly weighs less than my old Toshiba 42" Regza which weighs supposedly 71 lbs while the Sony weighs only 45 lbs. What causes the new sets to weigh less? I have a glass stand which is why I was concerned about weight.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:26 AM   #637

Dec 2012
USA

When I press the TV button it says 1080p while playing UHD on Vudu. Why would that be? It does this Goodfellas and another movie. I haven't tried any other movies besides those two.

Last edited by cupboy; 08-26-2021 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #638

Jun 2021
SoCal

I had list of material that I had planned on watching when I received my 65” A90J, but life gets in the way and plans change. Now I’m back on track and finally enjoying my A90J. Pacific Rim, The Shallows and Lucy. Wow! The picture is just gorgeous. I’m so glad that I decided to pull the trigger and get it. Even Mrs. C is happy and glad that I got it.

Now it’s time to give back:

What are you coming from?
A calibrated 2016 55” LG B6 OLED.

Why upgrade?
Normally I wait until my tv dies and then I go into a panic, trying to figure out what’s out there and what to get and not get. Kind of like cramming for finals.
So, I thought that it would be a good idea to get current on tv’s and to figure out what I would buy tomorrow if my B6 were to die today. The more I learned, with the improvements made in the last five years and especially this year, the more I wanted to replace my LG.

What models were you considering?
LG’s C1 & G1 and Sony’s A80J & A90J.

Where did you go to get information to help with your decision?
Owners’ threads on forums, reviews, YouTube videos.

Who influenced your decision the most?
The professionals: D-Nice, Vincent Teoh and jrrrf.
Enthusiasts: Stop the FOMO, Whisper Status 74 and Keep it Classy Tech.
Honorable mention: Digital Trends, Abt Electronics, Andrew Robinson.

Why the A90J?
I mainly watch movies and I wanted the picture that is going to be the most accurate. That “looking out the window” look. Plus, the specular highlights. I felt that the A90J was the one for me.

Have you run any test slides for banding, tinting, vignetting?
No.

Are you going to?
No.

Why Value Electronics?
They’re reputation and enthusiasm. Plus, the option for QC, break in and calibration.

Any regrets?
Although the jury is still out, I kind of wish that I had stayed with a 55”. 55” was comfortable for me, but as I watch it more, I find that I’m getting used to it.
Thanks given by:
jvonl (09-19-2021), MechaGodzilla (08-28-2021), Robert Zohn (08-28-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #639

Nov 2012

Hey guys.

How much of a reduction in price would any of you guess that there will be for the Sony A90J on Black Friday? I'm considering getting a 55 inch screen. I'd prefer a 65 inch screen, but there's no way that I could afford that.

Last edited by Rocky Balboa; 09-23-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #640
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

It was voted best tv at the VE shootout yesterday............
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (09-13-2021), Scarriere (09-23-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs