Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.96

Savage Streets (Blu-ray)
$19.89
10 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Deadly Games 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.49
10 hrs ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Just Before Dawn (Blu-ray)
$19.89
10 hrs ago
The Train (Blu-ray)
$19.89
10 hrs ago
Scream: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.51

The Critters Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Hocus Pocus 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.95

The Fog (Blu-ray)
$13.24
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 04-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors
Default Just announced: Vizio 2018 M-series & P-series

https://www.cnet.com/news/vizio-2018...ming-for-less/

Vizio 2018 M-series, P-series TVs do local dimming for less

The best is the brand-new, quantum-dot-equipped Vizio P-series Quantum.

Sony, LG, Samsung and even TCL are now putting one of my favorite picture-enhancing technologies -- full array local dimming -- into their highest-end LCD TVs. But nobody does local dimming like Vizio.

The US company's onslaught of 2018 TVs, spread across five series and 19 models announced on Tuesday, includes a whopping 13 with full array local dimming (FALD). No other manufacturer has more than six FALD TVs in its 2018 lineup, and for the most part they're a lot more expensive than these Vizios.

FALD allows a TV to brighten and dim different areas of the screen independently, which greatly improves contrast. It's crucial to better high dynamic range (HDR) images on LCD TVs, and HDR provides the best in-home video quality available today. In CNET's previous tests, Vizio sets performed extremely well, especially for the money, and the 2018 versions look like similarly strong values.

While many of its budget sets can also do local dimming, Vizio reserves its best image quality features for the mainstream-priced M- and P-series. It also introduced a new flagship TV in just one size, the 65-inch P-series Quantum. Here's how they break down.

Vizio P- and M- series models

Model Size Dimming zones Price

PQ65-F1 65-inch 192 $2,200
P75-F1 75-inch 120 $2,500
P65-F1 65-inch 100 $1,300
P55-F1 55-inch 56 $900
M70-F3 70-inch 48 $1,500
M65-F0 65-inch 40 $1,000
M55-F0 55-inch 32 $700

Vizio 2018 picture-enhancing features

Series Color Nits (Peak) Refresh rate

P-series Quantum Quantum Dot 2000 120Hz
P-series Ultra Color Spectrum 1000 120Hz
M-series standard 600 60Hz
E-series standard 400 60Hz
D-series standard Not listed 60Hz

Quantum leap

Judging from its specifications, the P-series Quantum should deliver the best image quality of any Vizio TV to date. I doubt it can beat OLED TVs from LG and Sony, but they're significantly more expensive.

The company claims a searing 2,000 nits of peak brightness, which, if true, would make it the brightest TV we've ever measured. Equally important to video quality buffs is its prodigious number of local dimming zones, which should allow it to minimize blooming and maximize local contrast. Finally, its quantum dots likely achieve a wider color gamut, which has been a relative weakness of past Vizio sets we've reviewed.

The standard M- and P-series look similar to last year's versions, and that's not a bad thing. Our favorite TV for the money in 2017 was the M-series, and while the 2018 version has more zones (48 versus 32 in the largest sizes), I don't expect that to create a massive difference in picture quality. I measured a peak of more than 800 nits last year, substantially higher than the peak claimed for 2018, but not as bright as the 2018 P series. Just like in past years, they're all compatible with both Dolby Vision and HDR10 high dynamic range.

Vizio also detailed its step-down E- and D-series sets. The E-series is also FALD-equipped, with up to 16 zones, and unlike the 2017 E series it's also compatible with Dolby Vision HDR. The entry-level D-series, meanwhile, loses local dimming and Dolby Vision, but can work with HDR10.

Vizio E-series 2018 models

Model Size Dimming zones Price

E75-F1/E75-F2 75-inch 16 $1,550
E70-F3 70-inch 12 $1,050
E65-F0/E65-F1 65-inch 12 $800
E55-F0/E55-F1 55-inch 10 $500
E50-F2 50-inch 10 $440
E43-F1 43-inch 10 $350

Vizio D-series 2018 models

D70-F3 70-inch $1,000
D65-F1 65-inch $780
D60-F3 60-inch $650
D55-F2 55-inch $500
D50-F1 50-inch $440
D43-F1 43-inch $350

Welcome back, TV tuner. Howdy, YouTube TV

Vizio has addressed another glaring omission in past TVs: All of its 2018 sets include a built-in TV tuner, just like those of competitors. Now I can finally go back to calling them "TVs" instead of "tuner-free displays." (Just kidding, I always called them TVs anyway.) The tuner has real value to people who don't subscribe to cable or satellite TV.

Another weakness last year was Vizio's SmartCast suite of smart TV extras, and the 2018 version is basically the same. You still have to use your phone to cast most apps to the TV, and the on-screen version doesn't allow customization. The TVs still work with both Alexa and Google Assistant, the latter allowing users to stream content to the TV with voice controls.

As for upcoming improvements, Vizio says an app for YouTube TV is coming soon, along with another, unnamed new streaming service aimed at cord cutters. It doesn't have a name or a launch date yet, but Vizio said it would launch with a similar channel lineup as Pluto TV, and would add more channels in the future -- all accessible via a grid-style guide. For easy access it will be accessible as another "input," much like SmartCast itself.

Vizio says owners of 2016 and 2017 SmartCast TVs will continue to get the same upgrades as the 2018 models, a nice perk that's uncommon in the TV industry (with the notable exception of Roku TVs, which also enjoy constant updates).

Hands-on impressions and more

I got the chance to check out the Vizio sets in person and they looked as impressive as I expected from the specifications. In a side-by-side demo with an LG C8 OLED TV, the Quantum held its own, with more pop to HDR highlights but brighter (worse) black levels, as you might expect. I won't comment further on image quality until I can review them in CNET's lab, and especially compare them to similarly-priced compeditors (see below).

I was also able to wheedle a few more bits of info out of Vizio's representatives.

There won't be any other size of P-series Quantum this year. Vizio told me a 75-inch or larger model, for example, would just be too expensive, but it may produce one in 2019.
All of the inputs on all of the models are fully HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0-capable (the exception is the specialized Input 5 on the P-series, which again allows 120Hz direct input but isn't HDMI 2.0). That's a welcome change from 2017, when only one input was fully capable on the M-series, for example. It means you can connect more 4K and HDR devices directly to the TVs, rather than buying a separate switch or AV receiver.
In another improvement compared to last year, all of the sizes in the M- and P-series sets (including the Quantum) use VA-type panels, which in my experience deliver superior contrast and overall image quality compared to IPS panels.
Vizio says some of the D- and E-series TVs use IPS panels, but didn't immediately detail which ones. When I get than information I'll update this article.

Tough competition

The M- and E-series received good marks from CNET last year, but even with the picture quality improvements and affordable price points of 2018, it faces a couple of stiff challenges.

The TCL 6 series looks like the M-series' main nemesis, with more dimming zones and the awesomeness of Roku's cord-cutting prowess for a similar price. Meanwhile Sony's X900F costs a bit less than the P-series Quantum at 65 inches, and comes in both larger and smaller sizes to provide a credible step-up to the standard P series. Somewhat more expensive is Samsung's cheapest FALD TV, the Q8, but it could also appeal to Vizio-averse video quality fans who don't want to step up to an OLED.

All of Vizio's new TVs are available today at its website and in the coming weeks at other retailers. The exception is the P-series Quantum, which will ship in early summer.

Last edited by RageATL; 04-10-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
540Blue (04-11-2018), octagon (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 AM   #2

Jul 2011
Woodbury, MN

Think it would be worth upgrading my 2016 Samsung 65” KS8000 to the new P Series? Would love the P Quantum but might be tough to buy another $2200 TV two years later.

Main reason to upgrade would be for Dolby Vision.

Last edited by piperville10; 04-11-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:01 AM   #3
Power Member

Dec 2010
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperville10 View Post
Think it would be worth upgrading my 2016 Samsung 65” KS8000 to the new P Series? Would love the P Quantum but might be tough to buy another $2200 TV two years later.

Main reason to upgrade would be for Dolby Vision.
I think it would. Not only because it has Dolby Vison but also because it has Full Array Local Dimming. The P series has near ~100 zones, and the PQ series has almost 200 zones. That helps you have greater contrast with better black levels and less blooming. Also, the PQ series should be brighter with near 2000 nits, and the KS8000, if I remember correctly, caps off at around 1000 nits.

The street price will probably be lower than $2,200 for the PQ series (with Quantom Dots). If not, it’ll definitely go down near Black Friday so it might be worth it to wait for that. Also, the PQ series covers, according to a source that talked to Vizio, 98.5% of the DCI P3 color gamut, and will very likely also have better color volume thanks to the Quantom Dots which all other models (including the regular P-Series) do not have. It might end up being this year’s best bang-for-your-buck TV if the specs hold up to independent testing once they actually hit stores.

This is also an answer to Samsung who uses Quantom Dots as their big selling point for their QLED lineup of TVs. If the specs hold up, the PQ model will be a good competitor for Samsung’s Q8FN and Q9FN models. Obviously, the Samsungs have more features and likely better quality (with their black coat which reduces reflections and blooming, as well as VRR for gaming), but given the PQ series is cheaper than both and costs a fraction of what the Q9FN costs (and the quality might be very comparable to the Q8FN anyway which is about $800 more expensive), people might opt to go for the Vizio PQ model if they’re looking for a 65” model. It sounds pretty promising IMO, and again, hopefully independent testing will hold up to the specs they announced for it.

The only model I can think of that can really compete with the PQ series, at a price point that is closer to it, is the Sony 900F. It’s the same price ($2,200 for the 65”) and also has FALD. However, early reviews are calculating that it’s close to 60 zones which is significantly less than what the PQ series has (~200 zones). It is also less bright and lacks Quantum Dots so its color gamut, and very likely it’s color volume, might not be as good as Vizio’s PQ series. Sony is always the best brand in displays when it comes to processing, so in that regard it’ll probably be better than the PQ series. That’s where people will have to decide what’s more important to them on a display. Potentially better/wider color with better contrast or less digital artifacts and potentially better motion?

Last edited by samlop10; 04-11-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Thanks given by:
piperville10 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

2000 nits is dynamic mode only confirmed by those in attendance. For reference, the new Q9FN is actually 2400 nits in dynamic mode but only 1800 on its 2/10% windows. Also from those in attendance, the black levels were not overly impressive. Looks like vizio, like all other lcd brands, will be looking up to Samsung in the black level department.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
Power Member

Dec 2010
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
2000 nits is dynamic mode only confirmed by those in attendance. For reference, the new Q9FN is actually 2400 nits in dynamic mode but only 1800 on its 2/10% windows. Also from those in attendance, the black levels were not overly impressive. Looks like vizio, like all other lcd brands, will be looking up to Samsung in the black level department.
Yeah at this point the higher end Samsungs and Sonys have better black levels but they’re all more expensive than the MSRP of the PQ series from Vizio. I think it’ll be a great TV for a lot of people who are on a budget but still want good picture quality. Plus, the PQ’s black levels might improve after calibration and firmware updates before it actually hits the street. I think it’ll be a great option for people looking for a 65” in the $2K range and for even more people when Black Friday draws closer. The fact that Vizio is using Q Dots and more dimming zones means they’re trying to stay competitive by improving picture quality and still keeping lower prices.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:50 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
Yeah at this point the higher end Samsungs and Sonys have better black levels but theyíre all more expensive than the MSRP of the PQ series from Vizio. I think itíll be a great TV for a lot of people who are on a budget but still want good picture quality. Plus, the PQís black levels might improve after calibration and firmware updates before it actually hits the street. I think itíll be a great option for people looking for a 65Ē in the $2K range and for even more people when Black Friday draws closer. The fact that Vizio is using Q Dots and more dimming zones means theyíre trying to stay competitive by improving picture quality and still keeping lower prices.
For a 2k budget I'd say there's alot of value. It should easily beat the Sony 900f and it's mediocre blacks for the same price. Sony made no actual improvements over the 900e, just small upgrades. But if the Samsung Q8 falls to 2k by black Friday, there will definitely be a cluster of 2k tvs. Others have said this probably won't happen because Samsung has too models under the Q8 and theyd basically be giving tvs away for free lol
Old 04-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Power Member

Dec 2010
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
For a 2k budget I'd say there's alot of value. It should easily beat the Sony 900f and it's mediocre blacks for the same price. Sony made no actual improvements over the 900e, just small upgrades. But if the Samsung Q8 falls to 2k by black Friday, there will definitely be a cluster of 2k tvs. Others have said this probably won't happen because Samsung has too models under the Q8 and theyd basically be giving tvs away for free lol
Lol, yeah Samsung isnít too flexible with their price until late in the year. I can see the Q8FN falling to around $2K for Black Friday and early 2019 (based on patterns from past years) but then the PQ series will probably fall to around $1500 for Black Friday and early 2019 which is still considerably cheaper.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Well I'm getting a new Vizio P-Series Quantum!

Color that can hopefully rival Samsung, brightness that can rival Sony, love the new sleek design... Can't find anything wrong with it so far, it's everything I've been asking for!

[edit] Though, VRR would be nice. Wonder if it's something they'll add to be competitive with Samsung.

Also they have an upgraded speakerbar with FOUR(!) Atmos up-firing speakers! A 5.1.4 speakerbar! Definitely getting both.

Last edited by Vangeli; 04-11-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
RageATL (05-01-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Power Member

Dec 2010
Denver, CO

Rtings just posted their review of the Vizio PQ series. It got great results overall and based on price/quality they seem to be recommending it over higher end models (Sony, Z9D, Samsung Q9FN) except for the LG C8:

rtings Vizio PQ-Series Review

It seems to have great contrast and local dimming, great color gamut with great color volume (very similar to Samsung’s on their Quantum series like the Q9FN), and better handling at shadow detail with their local dimming (whereas the Q9FN crushes some detail).

The TV isn’t perfect (color gradients could have been handled better) but given bang for your buck, Vizio seems to have done it again with the picture quality you get and the (relatively) low price, especially when compared to a model like the Q9FN or the Q8FN (both of which are more expensive than the Vizio). You get very similar quality for a lower price.

Also, for people that care, the TV seems to get plenty bright. They measured almost 2,500 nits on smaller percentage windows.
Thanks given by:
RageATL (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
Rtings just posted their review of the Vizio PQ series. It got great results overall and based on price/quality they seem to be recommending it over higher end models (Sony, Z9D, Samsung Q9FN) except for the LG C8:

rtings Vizio PQ-Series Review

It seems to have great contrast and local dimming, great color gamut with great color volume (very similar to Samsung’s on their Quantum series like the Q9FN), and better handling at shadow detail with their local dimming (whereas the Q9FN crushes some detail).

The TV isn’t perfect (color gradients could have been handled better) but given bang for your buck, Vizio seems to have done it again with the picture quality you get and the (relatively) low price, especially when compared to a model like the Q9FN or the Q8FN (both of which are more expensive than the Vizio). You get very similar quality for a lower price.

Also, for people that care, the TV seems to get plenty bright. They measured almost 2,500 nits on smaller percentage windows.
Well that's good new, this might be the one to replace my set in my main home theater rig in the basement!

Last edited by RageATL; 08-15-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Chicago

Noticed the P55-F1 is $699 at Best Buy this week. Lowest I’ve seen it yet. Seems like a solid entry/mid level 4K set. Anyone have this model?? Thoughts/impressions?
Thanks given by:
RageATL (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2012
Missouri

I really enjoy mine. I am horrible at reviewing things though.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Nice, there's an open box - excellent, Geek Squad certified condition at my store for $665. Its not much from brand new, so I'm gonna see if they can come down on that.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Chicago

Quote:
I was kind of looking at the TCL 6 series, but found more negatives with it than the Vizio P series. I know alot of people preferred the TCL's Roku operating system.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2012
Missouri

I loved the ROKU OS on the TCL. First thing I bought after the TV was a Roku stick +.
Anyways I went through two TCL 6 series sets from BB and two from AZ and every single one had serious QC issues.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrex View Post
Noticed the P55-F1 is $699 at Best Buy this week. Lowest Iíve seen it yet. Seems like a solid entry/mid level 4K set. Anyone have this model?? Thoughts/impressions?
IIRC, the 55 has a different panel than the 50 VA vs. IPS, so it depends on your application.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Chicago

Quote:
I loved the ROKU OS on the TCL. First thing I bought after the TV was a Roku stick +.
Anyways I went through two TCL 6 series sets from BB and two from AZ and every single one had serious QC issues.
Yeah, I read the entire TCL thread and saw your posts. I'm leaning toward the Vizio. Don't know if I'll pull the trigger now, even at the $699 price. Maybe hold out for it to drop by Black Friday.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrex View Post
Yeah, I read the entire TCL thread and saw your posts. I'm leaning toward the Vizio. Don't know if I'll pull the trigger now, even at the $699 price. Maybe hold out for it to drop by Black Friday.
i would jump on it for $699. i don't think it will go any lower really. if there is an open boxed one you may be able to get them under $600
Thanks given by:
RageATL (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
i would jump on it for $699. i don't think it will go any lower really. if there is an open boxed one you may be able to get them under $600
I want to, but I currently don't NEED it. I'm using my Panasonic VT60 in the living room. I have a spare room where I'd like to put it.

The open box was gone the next day. Someone knew a good deal when they saw it..Part of me hopes we can see this tv drop by Black Friday.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Chicago

55" P Series is down to $650 right now, really tempted to grab it...
Thanks given by:
RageATL (11-19-2018), samrt (12-22-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs