Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
2 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
2 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
1 day ago
The Daydreamer (Blu-ray)
$19.89
15 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #29801
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I have never had garbage pick-up fail.
The actual garbage trucks break down, same with street cleaners. While not as frequent as brief internet service disruptions, stuff happens.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:57 PM   #29802
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo7 View Post
You never have had a love-hate relationship, have you?
Absolutely! My ex-wife. First I loved her with all my heart. Then I hated her ****in' guts.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:00 AM   #29803
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
The actual garbage trucks break down, same with street cleaners. I had some instances. While not as frequent as brief internet service disruptions.
As I said, we can burn our own trash here if we need to and a lot of us have trucks capable of hauling our own garbage to the landfill if we wanna be more eco-friendly. We don't have or need street cleaners because we don't litter our streets like you see in cities; we know where to throw away our trash.

Nothing "brief" about an internet outage that lasts for days. We don't all live in cities; is that so hard to understand? Repairs here often take a lot of time and require that a lot of ground be covered. Rural areas have fewer crews tasked with covering vast territories.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-27-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:17 AM   #29804
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:

One should be more concerned in the winter with power going dead in a house!
Why, cause in California you guys can't light a fire without burning the whole damn state down?
Old 01-27-2021, 12:32 AM   #29805
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Its a weak argument.

The amount of time you are down is minuscule compared to uptime. I think you just need to realize that any utility can fail. Natural Gas, Water, Sewer, Garbage pickup, Internet, Cell service and so on.

Plan on alternatives when something happens not think of the worse. Even if you have a streaming outage (host, ISP, network), it's not broadcast, you can go right back to what you were watching when it failed, afterwards.

Try telling that to PlayStation fans. We got locked out of online gaming for the best part of a month a few years ago.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:34 AM   #29806
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

It's time to watch a blu-ray; I think Unbroken will be my Atmos choice this time. I don't care what happens with my ISP tonight because my entertainment doesn't depend upon it. Have fun however you choose to amuse yourselves this evening.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:44 AM   #29807
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Internet service slowdowns and over taxed servers are another far more frequent aggravation with internet dependence for one's entertainment. I'm sure glad that it is a problem that I can easily avoid with my physical media collection.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:52 AM   #29808
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
It's time to watch a blu-ray; I think Unbroken will be my Atmos choice this time. I don't care what happens with my ISP tonight because my entertainment doesn't depend upon it. Have fun however you choose to amuse yourselves this evening.
Unbroken was the first movie I watched after installing Atmos back in the day. The opening bombing run is still something I demo to visitors. Pretty good movie too.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:45 AM   #29809
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Internet service slowdowns and over taxed servers are another far more frequent aggravation with internet dependence for one's entertainment. I'm sure glad that it is a problem that I can easily avoid with my physical media collection.
Enjoy your Movie, I hope your Power doesn't go down and your Player and Disc keep working. From what I have read from Postings, Players and Discs are starting to have some problems. Now the Power is fairly consistent, but like Internet if it comes in on Poles weather and wind can have a big impact...Underground Utilities are the only way to go!

Oh, I got my first Covid shot with no problems......I'm half way there, let's beat this Pandemic!

Last edited by alchav21; 01-27-2021 at 02:52 AM.
Thanks given by:
lgans316 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 03:42 AM   #29810
Power Member

Oct 2017
Vacationland
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I've had seemingly more power outages within the past year. In all those instances I couldn't watch my discs even if I wanted to, unless I wanted to tax my portable generator which was already powering a sump pump, a heater, and maybe the fridge. Not to mention it usually happened in the middle of the night with a UPS alarm alerting me to the outage. Luckily the utility company is fairly good about restoring power the same day.

My dream is to one day build an off-grid cabin with solar power and all the time to catch up on my book and movie backlog. Folks here need to chill---there's a difference between discussing the future of home media and attacking collectors. You'd think this thread would be the one place on their entire forum that would understand that.

Since we're talking about the future of media---do you think studios will invest in VR? Specifically, feature length narrative experiences. It's still a format I've yet to explore.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 AM   #29811
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Enjoy your Movie, I hope your Power doesn't go down and your Player and Disc keep working. From what I have read from Postings, Players and Discs are starting to have some problems. Now the Power is fairly consistent, but like Internet if it comes in on Poles weather and wind can have a big impact...Underground Utilities are the only way to go!

Oh, I got my first Covid shot with no problems......I'm half way there, let's beat this Pandemic!
If my ISP was as reliable as my power I would have one less thing to beech about.

People come to forums looking for solutions when they have a problem, and/or to vent their frustration, so of course you will read about such things here. Did you expect people to post that their players and discs were working properly on a daily basis? Similarly, people post when they have streaming issues and problems with digital copies; they don't post when everything is working as it should. People discussing their problems does not necessarily mean that there are widespread issues; someone somewhere just needs help with something.

Do my frequent ISP problems mean that most people have such troubles? Of course not. Do you expect daily reports from me when my ISP is performing well?

I watched a blu-ray tonight. The disc and my oppo 203 worked fine. So did my AVR, speakers, TV, power utility, furnace, ice maker, microwave, and even my ISP. Are these the riveting reports that you want to read here every day to get a feeling for how many of us have working discs and players?

Congratulations on getting your first vaccine shot; make sure to get the second one on time.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-27-2021 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #29812
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Colonel View Post
I've had seemingly more power outages within the past year. In all those instances I couldn't watch my discs even if I wanted to, unless I wanted to tax my portable generator which was already powering a sump pump, a heater, and maybe the fridge. Not to mention it usually happened in the middle of the night with a UPS alarm alerting me to the outage. Luckily the utility company is fairly good about restoring power the same day.

My dream is to one day build an off-grid cabin with solar power and all the time to catch up on my book and movie backlog. Folks here need to chill---there's a difference between discussing the future of home media and attacking collectors. You'd think this thread would be the one place on their entire forum that would understand that.

Since we're talking about the future of media---do you think studios will invest in VR? Specifically, feature length narrative experiences. It's still a format I've yet to explore.
I’m a early adopter of VR (this is my fifth year) and it needs a resolution boost first. I can ignore that with games because the immersion is so engulfing. However, with 360% 3D films, it needs to be either true 1080p per eye or better. I think 8K will do a lot for the format. My favourite 360% experience so far is a short named ‘Allumette’. It’s a animated work that plays out on a floating village with a 3D bridge edging towards the viewer, clouds all around and a crowd of people hundreds of feet below. The character animation is charming and as a first VR experience, it knocked my socks off. A full feature film would need that boost I mentioned but if done right, the potential is staggering. The experience would be closer to a live theatre/movie hybrid.
Thanks given by:
Dollar Colonel (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #29813
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
Unbroken was the first movie I watched after installing Atmos back in the day. The opening bombing run is still something I demo to visitors. Pretty good movie too.
Have it on BD as well. Thought Jolie did a good job with this movie and another feather for Deakins as DP. There is an excerpt from the first part of this movie on my Dolby Atmos Demo Disc 2015 so it must have impressed the folks at Dolby.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #29814
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
People come to forums looking for solutions when they have a problem, and/or to vent their frustration, so of course you will read about such things here.
Have a Sony BDP-S6700, UBP-X800 and UBP-X1000 and the only time I have a problem with them is when I am using a streaming app. They will sometimes lock up and have to be un-pluged to restore operation. I remember my Pioneer CLD-900 (very expensive) had issues early on switching between LD and CD operation, just required changing out a small spring to fix. I had a local glass company special order me two pieces of ˝ x 12 x12 inch glass that I used to flatten warped LD.

It appears people with real simple setups will never relate to or understand the problems that can be involved with a complex setup.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #29815
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I’m a early adopter of VR (this is my fifth year) and it needs a resolution boost first. I can ignore that with games because the immersion is so engulfing. However, with 360% 3D films, it needs to be either true 1080p per eye or better. I think 8K will do a lot for the format. My favourite 360% experience so far is a short named ‘Allumette’. It’s a animated work that plays out on a floating village with a 3D bridge edging towards the viewer, clouds all around and a crowd of people hundreds of feet below. The character animation is charming and as a first VR experience, it knocked my socks off. A full feature film would need that boost I mentioned but if done right, the potential is staggering. The experience would be closer to a live theatre/movie hybrid.
VR headsets are still way too clunky for me to endure them for any length of time. When they become as light as my titanium framed driving glasses or as lightweight as a pair of passive 3D glasses, let me know.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #29816
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
VR headsets are still way too clunky for me to endure them for any length of time. When they become as light as my titanium framed driving glasses or as lightweight as a pair of passive 3D glasses, let me know.
Despite issues with glasses and reflections, I managed 4 hours at the weekend with several two minute breaks. The PSVR headset is very light. We are still at least 7-8 years away from getting that tech into glasses imo. About the same time that true AR glasses will become a reality. I expect crossover, but I’m hoping for tech that can automatically adjust for a users eyes. It’s very Sci-Fi but Apple are working hard on that stuff. If I can lose the glasses, that would be huge.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #29817

May 2008
Cypress, Texas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Absolutely! My ex-wife. First I loved her with all my heart. Then I hated her ****in' guts.
So you never have a love-hate relationship with streaming, nor social media? Because as I said, I have a lot of reason why I have a love-hate relationship when it comes to streaming.

Also, the fact that you never updated your BD.com profile to tell me how many BD collection you have makes me suspicious that if you're lying about having a BD collection, and you have a vendetta against physical media.

Quote:
Its a weak argument.

The amount of time you are down is minuscule compared to uptime. I think you just need to realize that any utility can fail. Natural Gas, Water, Sewer, Garbage pickup, Internet, Cell service and so on.

Plan on alternatives when something happens not think of the worse. Even if you have a streaming outage (host, ISP, network), it's not broadcast, you can go right back to what you were watching when it failed, afterwards.

Quote:
Internet outages here can last for several hours and some have lasted for days. Internet reliability varies greatly from one market to another; urban dwellers like you too often assume that everyone has the same quality network; we don't. Repair crews here have to cover large geographic areas to restore service to everyone.

Yes, those other services can go down, too, but they seldom do compared with the frequency that my ISP does. Personally, I have never had garbage pick-up fail.

I always have alternatives. I have my mobile internet for all online activities besides streaming. I have portable battery powered devices with disc drives. Some of my neighbors have their own power generators; I may get one myself being that I live on the borders of Tornado Alley. I have the ability to purify contaminated water. I have non-perishable foods and a camping stove. Here in the boonies we can even burn our own trash should we have to do so; we can even relieve ourselves in the great outdoors if we must.
JohnAV, Vilya is correct. Internet and cell phone service can face outages, and so can streaming provider. Remember last year in March, Netflix had a outage in the US and Europe. I guarantee that this will happen to Netflix again in the near future. And it won't be them alone. I know Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Paramount+, and other streaming providers aren't immune from their own future service outage.

My biggest concern if you're a streaming subscriber. Hackers can probably take down and disrupt streaming sites via distributed DDOS in the same manner like the PSN outage in 2011 (And I know because I owned a PS3 at that time). That is the scenario I get scared of for streaming provider like Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, etc.... A scenario similar to the 2011 PSN outage where Netflix, and other streaming service providers were shut down for 2 months.

And I believe that scenario could happened in the near future. No matter how good their cybersecurity are, it can still be penetrated and overpowered.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:19 PM   #29818
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo7 View Post
So you never have a love-hate relationship with streaming, nor social media? Because as I said, I have a lot of reason why I have a love-hate relationship when it comes to streaming.
I enjoy streaming for what it is: content on demand at a very reasonable price. I don't subscribe to any social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc. Never have, never will.

Quote:
Also, the fact that you never updated your BD.com profile to tell me how many BD collection you have makes me suspicious that if you're lying about having a BD collection, and you have a vendetta against physical media.
You are calling me a liar because I chose not to list the number of BDs I own? I wasn't aware that was a requirement at BD.com.

No - I have no vendetta against physical media.

Last edited by Lee A Stewart; 01-27-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #29819
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

It has only been a day since this was posted here by a moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkmanly View Post
[Show spoiler]Since you raised it, Wendell, here are some observations below. None of this is specific to you though and your post was simply a convenient segue.

Bearing in mind the title of this topic, I don't see someone posting links to market data specific to player sales, subscriber counts, etc. as being something that is in contravention of that particular rule. However, if that information is accompanied by commentary along the lines of, "Disc sales are down and I'm bloody ecstatic about it", that's obviously a different kettle of fish. Likewise, use of the emoji when discussing the decline of disc sales will also be sanctioned.

Name calling, harassment and too much off-topic chatter should be avoided obviously.

[Show spoiler]Finally, someone is not a troll simply because they present facts or have an opinion that you dislike or disagree with.
Ol' Steed might be right about attention spans after all.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #29820
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
It has only been a day since this was posted here by a moderator:

Ol' Steed might be right about attention spans after all.
Seeing as how you would like to play Pseudo-Mod, how is it you don't address this rule?

Quote:
No bashing other members.

But in the interest of Forum décor, I have edited my post.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology