Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
Hook 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.94
1 day ago
Independence Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Santa Sangre 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Love and Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
12 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 AM   #21
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Would be odd with TLK just released (still released) last year. I've never known them to consider a separate format release (a 3D and a 2D version) as a New Vault item release. If TLK and some of the others do come out with a 4K I suspect it will considered more like separate 3D releases of Jungle Book and Sw:TFA Collectors

Odds on favorite is still a Fantasia release.
I thought so too but if it did come out we would have heard of it. I think Fantasia got delayed (AGAIN! Seriously this happened last time, what's with Disney's release of that movie?! SMH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guachi View Post

Are Aladdin and Little Mermaid even in release in America right now? I never see them in the store.
They are both in the Vault but TLM was "confirmed" by Jodie Benson and it's 30th Anniversary blu ray is coming up next year.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=308767
As for Aladdin it could be very soon since they're releasing these things 3 times a year now but then again we haven't heard of a fall release yet so........
Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 AM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachufan1336 View Post
I thought so too but if it did come out we would have heard of it. I think Fantasia got delayed (AGAIN! Seriously this happened last time, what's with Disney's release of that movie?! SMH)
The last time it was delayed so it could be released in it's normal Nov slot like the VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD sets so they ended up skipping a Feb/Spring release and essentially had 2 in Q4 of 2010 with the Diamond Beauty and the Beast and the pseudo Diamond Fantasia
Old 09-26-2018, 01:58 AM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Not sure there's any real indication that Fantasia has been delayed (yet)

If they were planning a late Nov release like usual then mid to late Oct would be the usual announcement. It wouldn't surprise me to see some announcement during one of the Mickey 90th Birthday Events in October. It's possible in a couple weeks maybe some DMC rep will leak a little information.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:28 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

I honestly can't imagine how much more improved The Lion King can look in 4K. It seems almost superfluous.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

It would be strange to push Fantasia back in favor of The Lion King for the December release, since right now it's all about Mickey's birthday and Fantasia is the film that basically gave us Mickey's current look; you also have Lion King's signature BD still on shelves, the new movie coming out next year, and the hype for it basically moving product for you. (Plus how many people in this thread just bought it?)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #26
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

Nice but DD only?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #27
Special Member

Apr 2016
Aldome, Pluto II, Andromeda Galaxy

Oh yeah, Disney catalogue is coming.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #28
Special Member

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
I honestly can't imagine how much more improved The Lion King can look in 4K. It seems almost superfluous.
Was thinking the same thing, but then I thought the same about the transition from dvd to bluray, so...
Old 09-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
A fresh 4k scan and a good HDR pass could do wonders for it.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
A fresh 4k scan and a good HDR pass could do wonders for it.

What? The Lion King was rendered in 2K Digital (CAPS), what would you scan at 4K???
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Dry County

Quote:
As for Aladdin it could be very soon since they're releasing these things 3 times a year now but then again we haven't heard of a fall release yet so........
But we have. We've got The Incredibles 2, Wreck-It-Ralph, and Christopher Robin coming out this fall. I don't think Disney is going to do a classic "Signature" release as well too. They like to spread out their releases. We won't see anything on that front until next year at the earliest.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #32
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Live-action remake of Aladdin drops next year, so there's a good chance we'll get a BD re-release or a UHD at that point. I'm still confused as to why they're bothering to release Lion King this Dec. when the remake is also next year (along with 25th anniversary), but whatever. Disney knows the movie is beloved enough that it'll sell no matter when they release it.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Dry County

I still don't think we're going to see a UHD release of The Lion King this year. If they do release it anywhere on UHD I would think the U.S. would be the first place they would release it. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #34

Jul 2012

Quote:
This is the same boat I'm currently in. I was watching a few movies this weekend and honestly most of them still look amazing on blu. Animated movies in general, look near-perfect in 1080P. I had Sleeping Beauty on and was standing a few inches from screen... and honestly, I'm still shocked how amazing the blu-ray looks! Even from that up close, its such a sharp image. So in that regard, I can't imagine the 4K being worth the double dip resolution wise.

I also, compared DVD versions to the blu-ray version of a few movies... In that case its a night and day comparison obviously. The resolution got a huge boost and the colors aren't even comparable. The DVD of Alice in Wonderland looks so dull, it's insane! That being said, I can't imagine HDR is going to boost the colors that much... I mean they already look so vibrant on blu-ray. I truly don't think UHD has that big of an impact on animated movies.. as it does live action movies (I mean look at most animated UHD reviews on this website...).

With all that said.. unless they do complete new transfers (lets be honest, a few movies could use them), I just can't imagine it being worth the upgrade. Ha, also I legit just went all out buying all the Disney animated movies last year! So the picture quality will have to be mind blowing for me to even consider re-buying.. which I doubt happening.

Last edited by Mcfly88; 09-26-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Thanks given by:
Hardback247 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #35
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
But we have. We've got The Incredibles 2, Wreck-It-Ralph, and Christopher Robin coming out this fall. I don't think Disney is going to do a classic "Signature" release as well too. They like to spread out their releases. We won't see anything on that front until next year at the earliest.
I meant we haven't heard of a Disney Vault/Signature Release for this year.

Then again I don't know why I'm complaining it's not like they're dropping the line up all together. These guys are so unpredictable that hypothetically speaking they could release Black Cauldron on Signature. (kidding)
Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post
What? The Lion King was rendered in 2K Digital (CAPS), what would you scan at 4K???
My bad, I assumed they started that later. Even then though, you can still get a better disc. As an example, the 4K disc of Your Name still looks better then the blu due to a healthier bitrate and the HDR, even though the resolution is the same on both.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:06 AM   #37
Special Member

Jul 2008
Australia

JB HiFi have now opened up pre-orders for Lion King 4K. For those unfamiliar, they're Australia's largest physical media chain. Very reputable. Get excited - it's happening.
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 AM   #38
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I hope Disney fixes the audio (yeah, riiiight), cause I'm not impressed with the 7.1 mix on the current bluray (the music and vocals during the opening number sound way off when compared to the 5.1 mix), the laserdisc also had a superior mix that had considerable bass and oomph.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:14 AM   #39

Nov 2014
Missouri

I'm honestly not sure how much of an improvement 4k will be, but I'll bite
Old 10-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
I still don't think we're going to see a UHD release of The Lion King this year. If they do release it anywhere on UHD I would think the U.S. would be the first place they would release it. But I could be wrong.
You are wrong. And you’ve been wrong the whole time
Thanks given by:
ray0414 (10-02-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies