Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
18 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Santa Sangre 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28

Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Love and Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Hereditary 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 AM   #41
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
You are wrong. And you’ve been wrong the whole time
... ouch
Old 10-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Very strange. I would have figured they'd want to use one of the Walt films as their springboard into 4K for traditional animation. That or something like Mary Poppins.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #43
Special Member

Jul 2008
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobipopcorn View Post
Very strange. I would have figured they'd want to use one of the Walt films as their springboard into 4K for traditional animation. That or something like Mary Poppins.
Yes. Snow White has for the last two generations been their big opening salvo. Guess not anymore
Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #44
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

Animation in 4k has been a major disappointment so far for me so I'm not getting this until it's been confirmed to be a nice a/v upgrade over the blu-ray. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #45

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
Animation in 4k has been a major disappointment so far for me so I'm not getting this until it's been confirmed to be a nice a/v upgrade over the blu-ray. I'm not holding my breath.
Shouldn't be a "nice upgrade" over the blu-ray since the PQ is already excellent.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #46
Special Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobipopcorn View Post
Honestly, they keep re-animating the older stuff, redoing the composite work and such, and this makes me uninterested in the whole thing. I just want the original movie, as-is
Old 10-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colson View Post
Honestly, they keep re-animating the older stuff, redoing the composite work and such, and this makes me uninterested in the whole thing. I just want the original movie, as-is
Think about it... the 4K market at the moment is mostly people who want big flashy blockbusters to watch on their expensive new panels.
The Lion King is probably the closest you’ll get to a ‘blockbuster’, and has a gorgeous color palette MADE for 4K.
It’s a smart move to release a big movie like Lion King got their first traditionally animated 4K release — especially with the remake coming out.
Really, in today’s market, what are you going to move more units on 4K for ... The Lion King or Snow White?

Last edited by starkrogersthor91; 10-02-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
Think about it... the 4K market at the moment is mostly people who want big flashy blockbusters to watch on their panels.
The Lion King is probably the closest you’ll get to a ‘blockbuster’, and has a gorgeous color palette MADE for 4K.
It’s a smart move to release a big movie like Lion King got their first traditionally animated 4K release — especially with the remake coming out.
Really, in today’s market, what are you going to move more units on 4K for ... The Lion King or Snow White?
Exactly. The Lion King is their biggest traditionally animated film in terms of box office (the only movies from Walt Disney animation that are bigger are two of the 3D ones; Frozen and Zootopia). With Disney bringing their animated catalogue to 4K, I'd rather they start with the movies that are going to sell well to support making 4K releases of ones that might not sell as well.
Thanks given by:
starkrogersthor91 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #49
Special Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
Think about it... the 4K market at the moment is mostly people who want big flashy blockbusters to watch on their panels.
All I can hope for is the reinstatement of the original animation where it was replaced for the IMAX release that never happened, but I know I'm out of luck there.
Thanks given by:
starkrogersthor91 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #50
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joce View Post
Shouldn't be a "nice upgrade" over the blu-ray since the PQ is already excellent.
Hopefully the HDR pass will make a difference. Not counting on an uptick in clarity and detail.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #51
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
You are wrong. And you’ve been wrong the whole time
How, exactly have I been wrong? I find it very odd that Disney would release one of it's biggest animated movies of all time on UHD in Australia, but not do a release here in the states. The only pre-orders that have come up have been IN Australia. This may be coming out on UHD in December in Australia but from past experience of how Disney has handled their releases on home video, it seems very, very unlikely. However, I will freely admit that I am wrong if this does happen.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015
The City

I think UHD can add crispness to lines and fuller colors. Granted, TLK looks great on BD, unlike Aladdin, for example. Which is good overall, but has scaling artifacts.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

May 2015

I would probably always watch the 3D version.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #54
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuffTX View Post
I would probably always watch the 3D version.
the 3D conversion IS great, but the audio remix is not that hot.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

This is listing pre-order on JB hifi as of the last 24-48hrs

I can't recall a pre-order at that outlet which later cancelled. They are super reliable for their listings
Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #56

Jul 2018

Quote:
All I can hope for is the reinstatement of the original animation where it was replaced for the IMAX release that never happened, but I know I'm out of luck there.
Is there a link I can read up on this? Searching for 'remade animation' for Lion King just brings up results about the 2019 live action version.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #57
Special Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pans View Post
Is there a link I can read up on this? Searching for 'remade animation' for Lion King just brings up results about the 2019 live action version.
Here you go: http://lionking.wikia.com/wiki/The_L...elease_changes
Old 10-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #58

Mar 2013

Quote:
All I can hope for is the reinstatement of the original animation where it was replaced for the IMAX release [s]that never happened[/s], but I know I'm out of luck there.
My feeble hope involves the Disney logo regaining the original audio, especially after I learned the Lion King 1 1/2 Blu-Ray apparently does that:
Old 10-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #59

Jul 2018

Quote:
Last I watched the Lion King was the mid 90s VHS release, which afaik was still the original at that point.

And the revisions were used for all the home releases past 2002? This is a shame. I mean, I get that they felt some things could be 'updated' but at least an original theatrical cut could be available in HD+.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #60
Special Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pans View Post
Last I watched the Lion King was the mid 90s VHS release, which afaik was still the original at that point.

And the revisions were used for all the home releases past 2002? This is a shame. I mean, I get that they felt some things could be 'updated' but at least an original theatrical cut could be available in HD+.
Yeah, there's no way to watch the original version in HD, at least officially. Maybe someone has done a homebrew project for it, but I haven't seen it. Then again, this particular film, while fantastic, isn't one I follow too closely in the fan restoration scene, so maybe such a project exists.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies