Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Independence Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hook 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.94
1 day ago
Santa Sangre 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Love and Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
13 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #61
Power Member

Jan 2014

German release Dec 13th

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product...blisher_subid=
Old 10-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
New York / Steelbook™ - 481

I honestly can't see these classic Disney films looking much better than their Blu version. Hand drawn animation especially, just doesn't seem to benefit like live action films. I also can't see hdr helping much, other than possibly adding colors that were never there to begin with, and which I wouldn't consider an improvement, but sort of revisionist. As far as I can tell on all the released Disney films on Blu, the grain has been scrubbed,(although retaining great clarity and a bit of detail)so I can't really see much texture getting improved either. I'm most likely going to pass on these. I love my Disney collection, but I just don't think it'll be worth it.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #63
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pans View Post
Last I watched the Lion King was the mid 90s VHS release, which afaik was still the original at that point.

And the revisions were used for all the home releases past 2002? This is a shame. I mean, I get that they felt some things could be 'updated' but at least an original theatrical cut could be available in HD+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colson View Post
Yeah, there's no way to watch the original version in HD, at least officially. Maybe someone has done a homebrew project for it, but I haven't seen it. Then again, this particular film, while fantastic, isn't one I follow too closely in the fan restoration scene, so maybe such a project exists.
VHS is the only version I know of (unless there's someone with a Laserdisc to confirm) that is all original animation. The LD would be in widescreen, but otherwise the VHS is going to be poor quality 4:3. The Disney wiki says there is a VCD but those are almost always Chinese bootlegs with burned in subs.

The Platinum DVD has the African Savannah sounds people like at the opening, a new orange castle logo (which I think is nice) and the memorial still at the beginning. This is where the changed crocodiles are first seen (directors claim the originals were sub par and had to be changed), I don't remember about the waterfalls but they're probably changed too. SFX is gone, clouds intact. Morning Report optional, annoying menu not.

If anyone was going to "fix" the blu-ray versions, that's all they have to work with (unless they somehow obtained a film copy of the original).
Old 10-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #64
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Ughhhhh here we go with this again. Does this all need to be trudged back up every time this movie gets a re-release.
I’m a purist myself when it comes to these movies — but the changes on this are so minuscule that no one would ever notice if not for all the nitpicking.
If you really want the movie, don’t hold out for something else — 3 seconds of missing Savannah sounds and 4 seconds of crocodiles with new animation won’t ruin your experience.
Thanks given by:
Ataris8327 (10-05-2018), craigpb (10-05-2018), pikachufan1336 (10-11-2018), StoogeFan1118 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 03:06 AM   #65

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
the changes on this are so minuscule that no one would ever notice if not for all the nitpicking. If you really want the movie, don’t hold out for something else — 3 seconds of missing Savannah sounds and 4 seconds of crocodiles with new animation won’t ruin your experience.
Does this exist in the post-2002 releases btw? It's another change mentioned that stood out as more significant than some of the redrawn art.

Quote:
Exclusively for the 2002 IMAX re-release and 2003 Platinum Edition release, a new musical number, "The Morning Report", replaces the pouncing lesson scene.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pans View Post
Does this exist in the post-2002 releases btw? It's another change mentioned that stood out as more significant than some of the redrawn art.
The "Special Edition" including Morning Report was available on the Platinum DVD but not included on any Blu-ray releases. The sequence, however, is viewable as a special feature.
Thanks given by:
Pans (10-07-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies