Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
1 hr ago
Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.41

How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.88

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.77

Nurse 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Polar Express 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99

My Bloody Valentine 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.51

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 06-20-2020, 01:53 AM   #1

Jan 2009
Cool How important are the 3D glasses in terms of picture quality?

I just picked up an Epson 3800 and I already had 3D movies that I was never able to watch before. But after viewing them with the glasses I received from Amazon, I’m wondering if the glasses or the 3D are bad. For instance tonight on Man of Steel when he first shows up in costume, it seems like there a second image of him right beside the first image (ghosting?) and on Amazing Spider-Man 2 as he’s swinging through the city, any time the camera pans side to side it’s jittery.

Last edited by Kryptonian; 06-20-2020 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-20-2020, 02:09 AM   #2

Oct 2009
GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian View Post
I just picked up an Epson 3800 and I already had 3D movies that I was never able to watch before. But after viewing them with the glasses I received from Amazon, I’m wondering if the glasses or the 3D are bad. For instance tonight on Man of Steel when he first shows up in costume, it seems like there a second image of him right beside the first image (ghosting?) and on Amazing Spider-Man 2 as he’s swinging through the city, any time the camera pans side to side it’s jittery.
What 3D glasses are you using? I just discovered that different brands of 3D glasses does make a huge difference if you are getting good 3D picture or not. I was using the Samsung SSG-5100 because they were cheap and they were really bad at crosstalk and ghosting which is describing what you are seeing with yours. Then I got some Xpand X105-RF-X1 and they are so much better and if you can afford the OEM Epson branded ones, I heard that they are even better. By the way, I'm using Epson 5050ub projector and 3D on it is so amazing!
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 02:32 AM   #3

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyllr View Post
What 3D glasses are you using? I just discovered that different brands of 3D glasses does make a huge difference if you are getting good 3D picture or not. I was using the Samsung SSG-5100 because they were cheap and they were really bad at crosstalk and ghosting which is describing what you are seeing with yours. Then I got some Xpand X105-RF-X1 and they are so much better and if you can afford the OEM Epson branded ones, I heard that they are even better. By the way, I'm using Epson 5050ub projector and 3D on it is so amazing!
Click on the Amazon link in the original post.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #4

Oct 2009
GA

Quote:
Click on the Amazon link in the original post.
Not sure what brand those are but never experienced with those. I would say if you can return it and get the Xpand X105, I think it will be worth it or even the Epson branded one if want the best. I have now watched more than 5 movies with Xpand and I can assure you that crosstalk and ghosting are at a minimal. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's going to go away 100% but I would say like 95% which is good enough for me.

Another thing I did to get it better was turn off Auto Iris or Dynamic Iris and 3D brightness to Low. If the picture is too dim, then use higher lamp setting.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Jan 2009

Quote:
Not sure what brand those are but never experienced with those. I would say if you can return it and get the Xpand X105, I think it will be worth it or even the Epson branded one if want the best. I have now watched more than 5 movies with Xpand and I can assure you that crosstalk and ghosting are at a minimal. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's going to go away 100% but I would say like 95% which is good enough for me.

Another thing I did to get it better was turn off Auto Iris or Dynamic Iris and 3D brightness to Low. If the picture is too dim, then use higher lamp setting.
I found them in Amazon but how do I tell if I have an RF projector or IR? I didn’t see anything in the product description page from where I bought the projector and I don’t want to buy the wrong ones.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Oct 2009
GA

Here is the link to the 3D glasses I bought.

Xpand 3D Glasses

I believe all Epson are RF as most active 3D TV are.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #7

Dec 2010

I had to tweak the 3D settings on my projector to fix the ghosting
Thanks given by:
bhampton (06-26-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #8

Jan 2009

Quote:
Here is the link to the 3D glasses I bought.

Xpand 3D Glasses

I believe all Epson are RF as most active 3D TV are.
The glasses arrived today and you’re right, the picture is significantly better, however, they’re much darker than the previous pair even with my 3D brightness set on high. Is there a way to fix this?
Old 06-24-2020, 02:09 AM   #9

Oct 2009
GA

Quote:
The glasses arrived today and you’re right, the picture is significantly better, however, they’re much darker than the previous pair even with my 3D brightness set on high. Is there a way to fix this?
Not sure if it is different than mine since I have the Epson 5050ub so settings might be different than mine. I do have the gamma at 0 (I normally have -2 on this) and that helps and I watch it in either medium or high lamp mode as well. Not sure you can turn up brightness and contrast too. I have mine at 55 and 60 and I also have it on 3D dynamic which seems brighter than 3D cinema.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Now that you have a working pair of 3D glasses the image will be much darker.

The 3D glasses close shutters rapidly so half the time you see nothing through whichever eye is inactive.

As above you can tune the projector and basically run it on the most powerful settings to try to get back to the type of PQ you get with 2D.

-Brian
Old 06-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #11

Feb 2015
London, England

Some would say that glasses make a big difference.

Last edited by the13thman; Yesterday at 10:25 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #12

May 2011

I cannot recommend the Xpand Glasses. They have 3 drawbacks for me:
- The picture seems to be slightly darker than with other glasses
- They do not seem to have an anti-glare/reflection coating applied. If you wear normal glasses, you will know what this means. There are always some slight distractions with inside-reflections. Maybe others are not bothered by this, but it made my quit those glasses in the end
- They also don't have an anti-scratch protection. After a year or so you will notice that there are hundreds of micro-scratches on them when you put them against a light source. This is not really visible when watching a movie but still a little annoying
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors