Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Cinema Paradiso 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
22 hrs ago
Charlie's Angels 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.72

District 9 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Darkest Hour 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.70

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$209.99

Pitch Black 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.04

King Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.26

Flash Gordon 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Superman: Man of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Glory 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.10

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 06-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #5741
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

I have the UB820 and I'm thinking about getting a HZ2000 this year. Since the TV comes with the same Optimiser tech, I wonder if it's worth ditching the player so as to do away with the DV brightness flaw. Or is it something that affects DV from Panny sets as well?

And what to replace it with? Oppo is a no go these days, and I used to have an X700 but found the build quality to be awful and it was annoyingly loud.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #5742
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
I have the UB820 and I'm thinking about getting a HZ2000 this year. Since the TV comes with the same Optimiser tech, I wonder if it's worth ditching the player so as to do away with the DV brightness flaw. Or is it something that affects DV from Panny sets as well?

And what to replace it with? Oppo is a no go these days, and I used to have an X700 but found the build quality to be awful and it was annoyingly loud.
Keep the Panny player! Even if you don't need the Optimiser the chroma upscaling tech in the player gives the best results I've yet seen with discs that have poorly compressed chroma.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #5743
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Keep the Panny player! Even if you don't need the Optimiser the chroma upscaling tech in the player gives the best results I've yet seen with discs that have poorly compressed chroma.
Thanks Geoff, but that opens up another question.

I don't actually use the Panny for anything but UHD.

I still have an Oppo 103 for everything else. Would you recommend a change in usage?
Old 06-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #5744
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I've got a 203 and the Panny 820, I share the load when it comes to disc playback.
Thanks given by:
EddieLarkin (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #5745
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

I've always kept my 103 because it is multi region, and I have a huge amount of Region A locked Blu-rays and Region 1 DVDs.

I've used it for 100% of my BD and DVD viewing, so I've never actually compared the upscaling to the Panny. Or the 3D for that matter.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #5746

Mar 2012
Sweden

Quote:
I don't actually use the Panny for anything but UHD.

I still have an Oppo 103 for everything else. Would you recommend a change in usage?
I use my Panasonic 820 for UHD and Region B/0 blu-rays and my
Oppo 103D for anything else such as Region A/3D blu-rays, mkv:ed DVDs on my NAS and streaming content to the chromecast plugged into it.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #5747
Special Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

A week ago, I received my LG C9 from Robert and Value Electronics (The TV is amazing BTW) and I have been familiarizing myself with all of the controls, features, etc. I also own a Panny 820. From what I have gathered after reading many pages of this thread, and me playing around with a few options, is that I should have both the tone mapping on the C9 and the Optimizer turned On as well and the Optimizer on the 820 picks up the slack that the LG C9's tone mapping cannot do. For instance, I noticed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part: 2 where Hermione changes into Bellatrix Lestrange on the beach that the LG C9's tone mapping did an awesome job with the picture but the Optimizer on the 820 made just a small adjustment to the picture to make it perfect. It's a subtle change but it completes the picture. This can also be seen in the scene where Harry is in Limbo and talking to Dumbledore. The picture looks slightly duller withe just the C9's tone mapping on but with the Optimizer is on, it seems to bring that proper color and light of the scene back. Does this interpretation seem right or am I way off?

Last edited by PUsokrJosh305; 06-26-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:04 PM   #5748
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
A week ago, I received my LG C9 from Robert and Value Electronics (The TV is amazing BTW) and I have been familiarizing myself with all of the controls, features, etc. I also own a Panny 820. From what I have gathered after reading many pages of this thread, and me playing around with a few options, is that I should have both the tone mapping on the C9 and the Optimizer turned On as well and the Optimizer on the 820 picks up the slack that the LG C9's tone mapping cannot do. For instance, I noticed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part: 2 where Hermione changes into Bellatrix Lestrange on the beach that the LG C9's tone mapping did an awesome job with the picture but the Optimizer on the 820 made just a small adjustment to the picture to make it perfect. It's a subtle change but it completes the picture. This can also be seen in the scene where Harry is in Limbo and talking to Dumbledore. The picture looks slightly duller withe just the C9's tone mapping on but with the Optimizer is on, it seems to bring that proper color and light of the scene back. Does this interpretation seem right or am I way off?
You'll want to turn your DTM on your LG off. After much experimenting it's clear it's main objective was for use in titles mastered in a 4000 nit container. These LGs map down the entire image making the overall image dimmer/darker. DTM helped to offset this. However with the Optimizer you can set it to OLED and the player maps it to 1000 nits. Which your TV can handle better.

At this point all the DTM will do is over brighten the image which is a bit overkill.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #5749
Special Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post
You'll want to turn your DTM on your LG off. After much experimenting it's clear it's main objective was for use in titles mastered in a 4000 nit container. These LGs map down the entire image making the overall image dimmer/darker. DTM helped to offset this. However with the Optimizer you can set it to OLED and the player maps it to 1000 nits. Which your TV can handle better.

At this point all the DTM will do is over brighten the image which is a bit overkill.
The problem I have been seeing though is that when I turn the DTM off, and the Optimizer On, it seems to clip some of the detail that is hidden in the picture that I can see when I turn DTM On within the TV. It's also to my understanding that HDR moments are supposed to give that "pop" in films. I didn't notice that till I turned DTM on.

Now, the Optimizer is set to OLED but is only set to Standard. I have messed with those settings too and as I have increased Dynamic Range setting, the picture seems to start to clip details as it gets brighter. But having them both on at the same time seems to have produced a picture that brings out HDR moments that people keep talking about.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #5750

Mar 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKB2017 View Post
... in my case (watching on an old Pioneer KURO plasma) incapable of displaying at 4k in HDR... there is no point to having HDR or The Optimiser in play?
For my 64F8500 Samsung plasma, I use:
HDR Optimiser On
DR Conversion Adjustment +6
Tone Curve (White) -5

It seems there are no bullet-proof set-and-forget settings for all UHD discs but the above settings gets me a good compromise.
Thanks given by:
NKB2017 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 12:44 AM   #5751
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
I've always kept my 103 because it is multi region, and I have a huge amount of Region A locked Blu-rays and Region 1 DVDs.

I've used it for 100% of my BD and DVD viewing, so I've never actually compared the upscaling to the Panny. Or the 3D for that matter.
My 203 is multiregion too, but I've got much more of a mix of US and UK titles so I use whichever deck is easiest for that. It helps that the Panny has the Top Menu trick though, it works on most Region A locked Criterions.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:42 AM   #5752
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Christchurch, New Zealand

Just set up my new UB820 player. I can finally watch my 4K Discs in Dolby Vision and HDR10+. My receiver will only pass through HDR10, so I connected it directly to the TV, with the second HDMI (Audio) going into my receiver for Atmos and DTS:X.

Looking at maybe getting one of the new Denon 8K receivers to replace my Yamaha. The AVR-X2700H will probably be good enough for my 5.1.2 system.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:11 AM   #5753
Special Member

May 2008
Default Trying to figure this all out

Hey guys,
So I'm getting a new LG 65CX here soon and likely a Sonos Arc to pair it with for Dolby Atmos. However, I have a lot of Region A and B Blus and wanted to figure out if a region free UB820 would be the right choice for this setup? I'm a total noob at home theater stuff and really have been trying to find the best way to watch my Region A and B Blu rays with decent audio. Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #5754

Aug 2013
Alleycat Blues, New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobswim13 View Post
Hey guys,
So I'm getting a new LG 65CX here soon and likely a Sonos Arc to pair it with for Dolby Atmos. However, I have a lot of Region A and B Blus and wanted to figure out if a region free UB820 would be the right choice for this setup? I'm a total noob at home theater stuff and really have been trying to find the best way to watch my Region A and B Blu rays with decent audio. Any suggestions?
With regards to a region free player, Panasonic players in general, can play most region B discs through the stop/top menu trick as it's worked for me on most discs. But if you are looking for a region free 820 player, you can always get a region modification.

Last edited by No Name; 06-29-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:45 AM   #5755
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
With regards to a region free player, Panasonic players in geberal, can play most region B discs through the stop/top menu trick as it's worked for me on most discs. But if you are looking for a region free 820 player, you can always get a region modification.
oh interesting. Does this trick work depending on studio? I wouldn't assume so, but all of my Region B Blus are 88 Films and Eureka.

Also wondering if I should just throw down for the UB9000 in anticipation (probably 5 or so years from now) of enhancing my home theater audio system.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #5756
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Pans Labyrinth was an interesting one to play around with this morning. A WB title in a 4000 nit container. Peak Brightness at 761 nits with an average of 46 nits. Optimizer set at 1000 nits.

Does absolutely nothing. No change whatsoever between the Optimizer on or off.

For a while been curious how these LG OLEDs prioritize info for tone mapping.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #5757

Aug 2013
Alleycat Blues, New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobswim13 View Post
oh interesting. Does this trick work depending on studio? I wouldn't assume so, but all of my Region B Blus are 88 Films and Eureka.

Also wondering if I should just throw down for the UB9000 in anticipation (probably 5 or so years from now) of enhancing my home theater audio system.
I know from experience that it's worked on nearly 95% of Eureka titles with some exceptions, I don't own any titles from 88 Films, but from what I understand from other users is that it doesn't work on titles from that company as they really enforce the region locking on their discs. So you may be better off getting a region mod.

The 9000 is worth it if you plan to enhance your home theatre audio system, but the 820 is no slouch either.
Thanks given by:
drobswim13 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 AM   #5758
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
I know from experience that it's worked on nearly 95% of Eureka titles with some exceptions, I don't own any titles from 88 Films, but from what I understand from other users is that it doesn't work on titles from that company as they really enforce the region locking on their discs. So you may be better off getting a region mod.

The 9000 is worth it if you plan to enhance your home theatre audio system, but the 820 is no slouch either.
Thanks for that. I think I will stick to the 820 region free, then. Appreciate the help!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #5759
Expert Member

Oct 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post

On my LG LED TV, turning this off dims the picture quite dramatically in conjunction with the 820 player. Maybe I need to play about with the player settings?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #5760
Special Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_85 View Post
On my LG LED TV, turning this off dims the picture quite dramatically in conjunction with the 820 player. Maybe I need to play about with the player settings?
That's what happens on my LG C9 OLED. The picture dims (for the most part) when playing 4K UHD HDR content, even when my 820's optimizer is set to On. Now, it is my understanding that OLEDs are naturally darker/dimmer than most TVs for HDR content because they can only output about 700-800 nits. This explains why it is dim when the DLM is not turned on. But, I have also read that the DTM allows the TV to remap the HDR picture to compensate for that. The downside is that the algorithm that the C9 has can sometimes helps the picture and it can sometimes clip/ruin the picture. The DTM hasn't been perfected yet. This is probably why most have recommended that the DTM setting should be not activated. But without it, the picture remains relatively dim. It just seems like there are a lot of inconsistencies when it comes to HDR content and how it is played/outputted on a screen.

Last edited by PUsokrJosh305; 06-30-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics