Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99
 
Whiplash 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
20 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
4 hrs ago
Western Stars (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Event Horizon (Blu-ray)
$27.96
 
Graveyards of Honor (Blu-ray)
$62.99
4 hrs ago
Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band (Blu-ray)
$8.99
2 hrs ago
Jaws 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #1
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default Xbox Series S - August Reveal Rumoured

Apparently a leak of the specs and article on The Verge which i am too lazy to find. But here's a video

I'm thinking MS must have had this in the works but further asks why MS is doing their current strategy for 2 years.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:34 AM   #2
Derb Derb is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
45
3276
4
3
7
1
2
51
Default

Was thinking it could be called something different.

Series XL (Lite)
Series L

S is usually referenced by Microsoft when doing any slim variant.

Xbox 360 S
Xbox One S
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:27 AM   #3
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Was thinking it could be called something different.

Series XL (Lite)
Series L

S is usually referenced by Microsoft when doing any slim variant.

Xbox 360 S
Xbox One S
All rumour atm and "Slim" could be used instead for both i guess when a smaller form factor for each version releases. Guess we'll have to see.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:12 AM   #4
Derb Derb is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
45
3276
4
3
7
1
2
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
All rumour atm and "Slim" could be used instead for both i guess when a smaller form factor for each version releases. Guess we'll have to see.
I’d like them to use S.

Knowing their acronyms in the past, they are not the best at naming consoles.

For example XL wouldn’t surprise me. People would think that is the superior console.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
tigertron tigertron is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
tigertron's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
17
279
36
24
2
Default

If the S is priced well and can do 1080p/1440p at 60fps then I'd definitely be interested in buying one, provided it has a disc drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
52
798
5
1
Default

The biggest open secret in the industry, EG also posted an article today, the specs and purpose of the console have been out for a long time now, circa 4TF based on the RDNA2 architecture of the new more powerful consoles.

The Series S would essentially replace the Xbox One X. Even though it is a lower number on paper the fact it's running on much newer and faster silicon the console would outperform the XOX easily.

Roll on August for the big reveal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
52
798
5
1
Default

“Lockhart mode” in the Xbox Series X devkit, and what that reveals are Microsoft’s performance targets. It would indicate that Lockhart has 7.5 GB of usable RAM, has 4 teraflops of GPU performance, and is targeting either 1080p or 1440p gameplay as opposed to 4K.

For some context, the Xbox Series X 13.5 GB of usable RAM and 12 teraflops of GPU performance.

The Xbox One X, which came out in 2017, had I believed 9 GB of usable RAM out of 12 total, and 6 teraflops of GPU performance, but 6 teraflops in 2017 doesn’t necessarily equal 6 teraflops today.

But the point is, as expected,** Lockhart would be a fairly significant downgrade over the massive power of the Xbox Series X**, and is meant to be a key part of the next-gen ecosystem for Microsoft, even though again, they have not publicly announced its existence yet, and here we are probably under five months until its release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
52
798
5
1
Default

This is why from the get go a lot of speculation said the XSX was going to be priced a lot higher than we'd expect. Especially since it is the "most powerful console ever" it would have a price point to match. That's why MS was also releasing Lockhart, to fill that gap between hyper expensive super console and entry point next gen system for those on smaller budgets.

It also confuses me as to why MS are said to be so focused on undercutting Sony on price. Why would they need to be cheaper than the PS5 when they are launching an entry model at the same time?

I've always expected XSX to be the dearer console because of that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #9
JayTL JayTL is offline
Special Member
 
JayTL's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
89
Default

no matter the price difference, I'm getting the series X. I've had a 4k tv for a year now, and still playing on base Xbox One and PS4 lol.

I need 4k Damnit!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #10
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
52
798
5
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
no matter the price difference, I'm getting the series X. I've had a 4k tv for a year now, and still playing on base Xbox One and PS4 lol.

I need 4k Damnit!
That's the thing, there's people like us who will buy a console regardless of price then there are others who have a strict budget or are buying for children etc.

I don't know what the prices will be I just assumed that the reason they were releasing a cheaper budget console at the same time was because they were planning on a high price point for the XSX.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JayTL (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
tcripe tcripe is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
tcripe's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Seattle
Default

I think the discrepancy in power between these two versions are too vast. Idk why anybody would buy a series S looking at those specs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #12
Blu Lemmy Blu Lemmy is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Blu Lemmy's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
On my sofa
17
740
58
8
2
Default

Because the vast majority probably won't care.

They want to buy a new Xbox for their kids, oh look, this one is so much cheaper, but it's still new....lets get it
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #13
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
I think the discrepancy in power between these two versions are too vast. Idk why anybody would buy a series S looking at those specs.
I agree with you. There's a reason why nobody bought the iPad mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Because the vast majority probably won't care.

They want to buy a new Xbox for their kids, oh look, this one is so much cheaper, but it's still new....lets get it
I see that point but I still maintain that having two skus and such vastly different performance ceilings only muddies the waters and leads to confusion. I could easily see a lot of scenarios where kids want the XSX and Grandma buys the XSS because she doesn't know better and it's cheaper.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 06-29-2020 at 05:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
tcripe (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #14
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

I personally think MS is screwing themselves but time and sales figures will tell the truth. It baffles me that you would release a SKU so much lower powered than your premium model as it were that's quite a lot more underpowered too and still try and hang on to a 2 year Xbox One X support from 1st parties. At least with PS5 the devs have two equally powered models and consumers decide whether they want to go all digital without taking any potential hit on performance than the half hand method Series S would provide.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 AM   #15
Derb Derb is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
45
3276
4
3
7
1
2
51
Default

While I understand the Lockhart would be an upgrade over the One X, I just don’t see it being relevant if the specs are indeed lower than SX.

I change my tune on the daily with regard of Will I buy both next-gen Systems Day 1?

If I ultimately decide to get both a PS5 & Xbox, I’ll go for the SX.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:35 AM   #16
heyadol heyadol is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2014
2
75
3
37
77
1167
2
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I personally think MS is screwing themselves but time and sales figures will tell the truth. It baffles me that you would release a SKU so much lower powered than your premium model as it were that's quite a lot more underpowered too and still try and hang on to a 2 year Xbox One X support from 1st parties. At least with PS5 the devs have two equally powered models and consumers decide whether they want to go all digital without taking any potential hit on performance than the half hand method Series S would provide.
I can only imagine a lower-priced SKU is a way to get their foot in the door. If it actually comes out at $250, that might be half the price of the other next-gen boxes while still delivering an experience that is probably going to be better than current-gen. Also, if I'm not mistaken, someone on this board seems to be a fan of 1440p and that is the rumored target...

What if they don't actually directly sell Lockhart? Maybe they could just simplify their Xbox All-Access program by replacing all options w/ this cross-gen console. $20/mo for Lockhart + Game Pass Ultimate could be appealing to someone who maybe can't fit XSX (or PS5, or a gaming PC) in their budget but still wants to play some of the latest games.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #17
KB24SD KB24SD is offline
Power Member
 
KB24SD's Avatar
 
May 2007
San Diego
166
3
Default

My take aways from this are:

-This has to be a ton of confusion and a nightmare for 3rd party devs.
-Microsoft with the series x and and now this series s is going the monthly payment plan route similar to how apple sells iphones now
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #18
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
I can only imagine a lower-priced SKU is a way to get their foot in the door. If it actually comes out at $250, that might be half the price of the other next-gen boxes while still delivering an experience that is probably going to be better than current-gen. Also, if I'm not mistaken, someone on this board seems to be a fan of 1440p and that is the rumored target...

What if they don't actually directly sell Lockhart? Maybe they could just simplify their Xbox All-Access program by replacing all options w/ this cross-gen console. $20/mo for Lockhart + Game Pass Ultimate could be appealing to someone who maybe can't fit XSX (or PS5, or a gaming PC) in their budget but still wants to play some of the latest games.
1440p/60fps is a perfectly fine target but when apparently the box is on par with a One X, it makes sense to also push similar performance to that with the advantage of an NVMe. Again, it's just baffling why they'd muddy the waters like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB24SD View Post
My take aways from this are:

-This has to be a ton of confusion and a nightmare for 3rd party devs.
-Microsoft with the series x and and now this series s is going the monthly payment plan route similar to how apple sells iphones now
I think this rumour has been a very, very long time in the news cycles and nothing materialised which is sorta weird. Especially when MS have their own online store selling directly to the masses. It makes no sense why they haven't done it via that and incentivised customers to buy direct and help them keep maximum profit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
Derb Derb is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
45
3276
4
3
7
1
2
51
Default

So basically if Lockhart is indeed a POS hybrid next-gen system, devs will have to make their game compatible with,

Xbox One / S
Xbox One X
Xbox Lockhart
Xbox Series X

Seems like a hassle for devs, more so for 3rd party devs who will support PS4 & PS5 along with all those Xbox’s.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #20
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

I'd expect to see very sloppy optimisation on the Series S if indeed real from 3rd parties.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:46 AM.