Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$47.49
6 hrs ago
Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$27.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Why the Hell Are You Here, Teacher!?: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.36

The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part One (Blu-ray)
$32.21

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.99

InuYasha: Set 2 (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma: The Third Plate (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Ninja Scroll (Blu-ray)
$8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #1841
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
anyone can search for my extensive write up on the show when it aired to see whether I am informed or not.

Quote:
Darling in the Franxx Trigger doing Trigger stuff
Quote:
Yes, it's all hilarious sexual innuendo LOL
Quote:
Whoo boy Darling in the Franxx went full Trigger this week, can't imagine how this will get a satisfying ending next week.
Quote:
Darling in the Franxx what started out as a futuristic dystopian Mecha show ended as a touchy, feely snore fest. So disappointed. No way I spend money owning this unless it's a cheap deal under $20. Ugh....just ugh, it's not even worth discussing, and can't believe how many people liked the ending. It was a complete cop out.
I rest my case. You liked it just fine until it defied your expectations, and then you decided so much that it wasn't even worth discussing that you make a point of raining on other people's enjoyment of it. You can't believe how many people liked the ending, because you just didn't get it, and you stopped paying much attention to it after Zero Two stopped behaving the way you wanted her to.

Maybe you should give it another try with an open mind, and stop comparing it so much to other things Trigger has done. Expectations are often the root of disappointment, and it seems like you had loads of expectations going into this one, which clouded your possible appreciation of it.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 01:43 AM   #1842
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post

I rest my case. You liked it just fine until it defied your expectations, and then you decided so much that it wasn't even worth discussing that you make a point of raining on other people's enjoyment of it. You can't believe how many people liked the ending, because you just didn't get it, and you stopped paying much attention to it after Zero Two stopped behaving the way you wanted her to.

Maybe you should give it another try with an open mind, and stop comparing it so much to other things Trigger has done. Expectations are often the root of disappointment, and it seems like you had loads of expectations going into this one, which clouded your possible appreciation of it.
Yes I just said that a couple posts ago, it was fine until they revealed all this stupid stuff about VIRM, APE, Klaxosaurs, the Nines, etc. and the horrible Gunbuster ripoff ending. And no I had zero expectations since I watched it week to week as it aired and it was an original anime not based on a manga or LN.
And sorry I guess I didn't discuss it here, I must have conflated my memory of posting about it in the CR forums. Which if you really want to read, discussion of the finale starts here https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtop...cussion?pg=311 and goes on for at least 30 more pages, you can scroll through the previous 300 pages if you really want my thoughts on each individual episode.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #1843
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Bluegrass State

Completed recent re-watch of.....

Sukenban Deka; Always enjoy watching this one, I love this Bad-Ass Main Character,
and using a Yo-Yo as a weapon is interesting & different.
I'm aware that this title has gotten a lot of live action spin-offs and remakes,
so it is obviously popular in Japan!....

Last edited by BWBODDY; 06-22-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:11 AM   #1844
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Sekirei & Sekirei: Pure Engagement - I'm not gonna say I was expecting much out of this franchise to begin with. It's an ecchi battle harem show, after all. But I was rather disappointed when I finished the second season and it ended with "To Be Continued..." only to find out Pure Engagement came out TEN years ago, and that never happened.

Probably because the whole show is written around a Battle Royale-style plot point that never truly happens in the 25 episodes that were made. I mean there are fights, yes, but not as many as I would have hoped, and certainly nothing that felt like a grand tournament-style arc where we get to focus on multiple groups. Most of the show is the normal inter-harem squabbling between the tsundere archetype, the energetic girl character, the onee-chan, and the loli that marks almost all these shows. But like most harems, I get the sensation one of them has been pre-picked as the winner from the start of the series. Bad CG-vfx mark the first season and the character drawing becomes lazy and inconsistent in the second season. We do get a few episodes that help give backstory to some of Minato's Sekirei, but we never talk much about some of the supporting ladies. And making a fan-service-focused "episode 00" OVA feels a bit redundant when the home video release is the same level of uncensored and has the exact same cast.

5/10 for both.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-28-2020), kk1 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #1845
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Arte set in a historically inaccurate Italy during the Renaissance this was about a girl, the titular Arte (get it she likes Art? ), wanting to defy societies norms and her family and become an artist. Meh kind of forgettable, like I said not very accurate historically with Arte easily overcoming pretty artificial obstacles and not really having to struggle much, catching break after break to the point even the show had the character feel guilty about how easy she had it. Like most Japanese anime set somewhere else, it played out more as how a modern Japanese girl would defy her traditional family and society to strike out on her own than someone from the historical time of the show. Just a thinly veiled scenery change so (the original manga author) could show off their superficial knowledge of Renaissance fashion and architecture. And even though Arte is cute, genki, and has that never give up attitude she also comes off as just a superficial set piece you never really relate to or get invested in, or at least I didn't.

Last edited by kk1; 06-25-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-28-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #1846

May 2019
Georgetown, TX

Season 1 of Assassination Classroom, really fun ending!
Though of course there is a 2nd season, which (thankfully) is also on Hulu.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (06-25-2020), Gorgon (06-28-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:20 AM   #1847
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post

If you really want it obviously thrown in your face of what it really is, read the manga version. https://fapservice.com/darling-in-th...ilation-final/ It didn't censor itself like the anime and you can clearly see it for what it obviously is it's just another tired retelling of the red and blue oni myth https://www.japanesewithanime.com/20...i-red-oni.html wrapped up in hormonal teen sexual angst with mecha, something Gainax/ Trigger knows all too well how to exploit.

(didn't you always wonder why they have those useless "horns"?)
Old 06-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #1848
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 if you liked season one you won't be disappointed with season 2, while it started a little slow compared to season one, it's only because they weren't trying to be lame and just repeat what they had already done, so with the introduction of a few new characters and a slightly different dynamic after season one for the others this took a few episodes to find it's groove but once it did it was just as enjoyable as the first season. This show really knows it's characters and loves to play with them, when I first started watching this series I thought the concept would get old, but it never does. Very well done and recommended. I'd gladly watch a season 3.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #1849

May 2019
Georgetown, TX

Assassination Classroom: sad yet good ending to a very fun show.
Not quite sure if I will buy it or not, but if it's decently cheap I would grab it.

BTW I heard something about Hulu losing several anime, so if anybody maybe has a list of what's going away (in the USA) I would appreciate it.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-28-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:21 AM   #1850
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Final reviews of the Spring Season

Fruits Basket not sure how many episodes are in season 2 of Fruits Basket but the first cour was awful compared to season one. The quality of the animation, and story just fell off a cliff and makes me wonder why I am still bothering watching it. Bleh.

Gleipnir ugh what a mess this turned into, long story short it sucks you in at the beginning with lots of fan service (the main girl's body is apparently the main selling point of the show) and violent fights and a mystery as to what's going on, but by the end the fights are meh, the explantion of the mystery of the plot go nowhere and make almost no sense by the end and all that's left is fan service which really isn't worth sitting through the rest to see. Also the ending is another "go read the manga" ending so skip this as it is nowhere near as interesting as it looks.

Shachibato! President, It's Time for Battle! this was a fun goofy little show based on a game with character designs by the guy who did Kemono Friends. Nothing really deep just harmless silly fluff and cute characters, if it wasn't for the next show I'd say it was pretty good for being based on a game but it gets put to shame by that, still worth a watch.

Princess Connect Re: Dive my absolute favorite show this season and AOTY for me already, I loved everything about this show. Based on a game (Cygames really does Produce some amazing game adaptations, 2 seasons of Rage of Bahamut, Uma Musume, Manaria Friends) and with the same director as Konosuba this show had everything beautiful animation, tons of cute characters, humor, and great action. It's mostly silly SOL stuff but there is a plot going on in the background that culminates in a great finale, which if it was longer could have been a movie. The game has a story that is a prequel to this and there is more story after this part so I can only hope we get a second season. Highly recommended, especially if you like silly Konosuba type stuff, though it's not that whacky and the main guy is mostly there for comic relief and not much else (he is NOT the MC).
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (07-02-2020), Gorgon (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:40 AM   #1851
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

Thanks once again my friend kk1 for an excellent synopsis of some shows I was curious about.
I'm not overly surprised to hear "Glepnir" sorta fell off a cliff. The show was giving the impression of wacky hi-jinx (via the MC) but I saw the signs of them turning the female MC into another lewd bait. Though, the art doesn't overly strike me as sexy anyway, compared to say, HS DxD or Bible Black.

Hmm, sad to hear your thoughts on "Fruits Basket". I'm not overly affected but I'm sure my G-D could be. I'll buy it for her regardless and will ask her thoughts after viewing.

"Princess Connect Re: Dive" didn't ring with me as, when I saw the (as of late, mandatory) semi-colon/colon in the title, I thought it was a follow-up.
I'll need to investigate further, thanks!

Last edited by Gorgon; 06-30-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Thanks given by:
kk1 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:51 AM   #1852
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
US

Fruits Basket season 2 is a lot more build up than the first season was. Plenty of story left to tell and it is following the manga very well. Animation to me has stayed consistent to me considering how many episodes the series will be. Not like it is an action series to begin with. It's still great.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #1853
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
Fruits Basket season 2 is a lot more build up than the first season was. Plenty of story left to tell and it is following the manga very well. Animation to me has stayed consistent to me considering how many episodes the series will be. Not like it is an action series to begin with. It's still great.
I agree with this. I did not feel the show "fell off a cliff" story or animation-wise this season. Also I wasn't aware the season was over anyway, still seems to be ongoing.
Thanks given by:
gundamcero (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #1854
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

I didn't say FB was over, just commenting on the first cour (those 12 episodes are their own arc about how they spend summer vacation) and I was basing my comments on how it compared to season one. Season one was beautifully animated throughout the entire season, this wasn't. Also compared to the story in season one I just did not like this season. I understand it is only following the manga and again just my opinion. For instance
[Show spoiler] they introduce the horse girl and then tell you nothing about her, she shows up is angry and then leaves, over and over, same with Akito they keep showing Akito is a jerk but refuse to reveal anything, also the revelation of the coincidental meetings of so many related characters in the past and present was just ridiculous
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (07-04-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 02:29 AM   #1855
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Case Closed Episode "One"

It wasn't anything special. The first episode of the series stretched to 90 minutes, pretty unnecessary honestly. The new dub is okay but feels very generic and sort of lifeless.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (07-04-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #1856

Sep 2014

Watched 2 movies over the week.

In This Corner of the World - Picked this up at Walmart during last Black Friday. Didn't don't anything about it; just surprised it was there. Slice of life story during World War 2 period. I just felt it was just too episodic and just couldn't connect with the main character.

Your Name - Beautiful and well told film. Turned from a fun premise to more serious tones. Can't wait for Weather With You to come out.
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (07-02-2020), Gorgon (07-04-2020), gwfb5 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #1857
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Bluegrass State

I binge watched......

O Maidens in you Savage Season

Wow, that was more than what I thought I'd be getting, it was very good and
it just about touched all of the teenage Girls in High School tropes except for (whole on) Harem....

It's not a re-watchable keeper for me, but do not let that fool you, it was very good.
I just don't think I could re-watch it is all....

Last edited by BWBODDY; 07-03-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (07-06-2020), Gorgon (07-04-2020), gwfb5 (07-03-2020), professorwho (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #1858
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWBODDY View Post
I binge watched......

O Maidens in Your Savage Season

[Show spoiler]Wow, that was more than what I thought I'd be getting, it was very good and
it just about touched all of the teenage Girls in High School tropes except for (whole on) Harem....

It's not a re-watchable keeper for me, but do not let that fool you, it was very good.
I just don't think I could re-watch it is all....
I've heard pretty good things about this, and I really like the animation.
I'm hoping it shows up on Netflix or Prime at some point so I can watch it.
Blind-buying/importing the Blu-ray would cost around $63CDN, not including shipping.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (07-03-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #1859

Mar 2010

I just binged Kuromukuro over the 3 day weekend. I really, really enjoyed that. The ending is a little bit frustrating, though, due to being too open ended. They specifically give enough details to show the direction that it's going, but it definitely needs more material to feel truly complete. it appears that a LN sequel was released in Japan, but I can't find any translations, or even a story breakdown, anywhere online, which sucks.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #1860
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Demon City Shinjuku

Really enjoyed this, more than Ninja Scroll I'd say. My only complaint is that the final battle was very anticlimactic.
Thanks given by:
BWBODDY (07-07-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion