Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
11 hrs ago
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Whiplash 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Event Horizon (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Western Stars (Blu-ray)
$14.99

3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Graveyards of Honor (Blu-ray)
$62.99
11 hrs ago
Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band (Blu-ray)
$8.99
9 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #24601
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Talk about pounding something in.....Pound on this! The main four SVOD are Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Disney+:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...-services.aspx

The Streaming Wars are starting to heat up, and there is no room for the Weak. So you better start to make the right choice or get left in The Dust!
I made the right choice from the beginning: I buy my content on physical media where gutless streaming service executives and equally spineless studios can not edit, remove, and censor content.

Artistic integrity means nothing to the likes of you; all you want is convenience and cheap access to whatever streaming services have on crap; oops, I meant to say "on tap."

Subscription streaming, in short, sucks, which is why I pay them exactly what they are worth: nothing.

As for pounding things in, it would be easier to drive an egg noodle through a granite block than to get through to some people around here.

Last edited by Vilya; 06-29-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Thanks given by:
goodstuff (06-30-2020), Wendell R. Breland (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #24602
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Subscription streaming, in short, sucks, which is why I pay them exactly what they are worth: nothing.
Disney has dropped the free preview period, AT&T has dropped ‘Watch TV’ Sign-Ups and the churn rate is the highest it has ever been for streamers. It will interesting to see if the streaming pay TV (Netflix, Disney+, etc.) providers continue to make it easy to cancel service or if they adopt many other providers method where you have to call a call center to cancel.

Quote:
As for pounding things in, it would be easier to drive an egg noodle through a granite block than to get through to some people around here.
Should have been "much, much easier".
Thanks given by:
Vilya (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #24603
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Disney has dropped the free preview period, AT&T has dropped ‘Watch TV’ Sign-Ups and the churn rate is the highest it has ever been for streamers. It will interesting to see if the streaming pay TV (Netflix, Disney+, etc.) providers continue to make it easy to cancel service or if they adopt many other providers method where you have to call a call center to cancel.

Should have been "much, much easier".
No need to cancel when one doesn't pay them.

I wouldn't be surprised if subscription streaming services began to require commitments of varying durations when signing up for their service much like what happens with satellite TV. It would be one way to keep people from bouncing from one free trial offer to another; lock their subscribers in place for "X" number of months in order to get some promotional price.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #24604
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I'm kind of limited by the stuff people share (willingly) with me for free that is

HBO Max
Hulu (with live TV)
Netflix

But I rarely use any of them. I do have and use prime.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:36 AM   #24605

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
In Canada HULU doesn’t exist, Amazon Prime Video if it’s not included in my shipping subscription I will not pay because the video quality sux b@llz, Disney+ is useless as the movies I care about I already have the physical media and their system doesn’t allow me to choose and play (say) all Mickey’s shorts (I have to choose at the end of each 3-5 minutes shorts.

So, for me, there is no competition. Netflix only for me.
Similar to here in Singapore. HULU is tied in with one of the main cable providers here. Disney+ is not available and to the best of my knowledge no release date has been announced (not that it interests me anyway). I get Amazon Prime as a freebie with my Prime membership, but it doesn't get used very often. We mainly use Netflix and cancelled our cable subscription.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:25 AM   #24606
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

I got the 4K digital version of Easy Rider from iTunes for $4.99. It's only available to import on 4K disc but I don't want to pay that price. The digital 4K is also in Dolby Vision and looks stellar.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 AM   #24607
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I got the 4K digital version of Easy Rider from iTunes for $4.99. It's only available to import on 4K disc but I don't want to pay that price. The digital 4K is also in Dolby Vision and looks stellar.
You're supposed to say that it looks "Fantastic!"

Digital purchases have not fallen victim, so far, to this recent scourge of censorship perpetrated by weak kneed subscription streaming services.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:10 AM   #24608
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
You're supposed to say that it looks "Fantastic!"
You've got it.....You're on to it! Get your 4K or 8K Display, and check out 4K Digital Streaming. It might be this is all you will need, for that Fantastic PQ Experience!
Old 06-30-2020, 04:30 AM   #24609
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You've got it.....You're on to it! Get your 4K or 8K Display, and check out 4K Digital Streaming. It might be this is all you will need, for that Fantastic PQ Experience!
Quote the and poof! There he is!

I've seen 4K streaming plenty of times and it leaves me compared to a 4K disc. I'm not saying that it looks bad, far from it, but it will never convince me to buy into your vaporware world of smoke and mirrors.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #24610
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

8K Display
4K Steaming
Bluetooth Audio

Yuk

You would do better with a balanced and thought out system.

4K Display
4K Disc
Lossless Audio

-Brian

Last edited by bhampton; 06-30-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #24611
Power Member

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

When Samsung axes its VR store, your content vanishes into cyberspace

Quote:
Samsung has discontinued its Gear VR headset and soon its VR store will close too. Customers lose access to purchased VR content and no refunds will be offered.

A recurring theme with content purchased digitally is the question of what will happen if the company closes shop or goes bankrupt. Of course Samsung is not going bankrupt but the company will close its 'VR Videos' app and all of its 'XR' services.

When that happens, customers lose access to movies, documentaries, games and other types of VR content purchased through Samsung's VR store. The company will not offer refunds either.

- "On September 30, 2020, all Samsung XR accounts will be removed. Users will no longer be able to log into Samsung XR to view their content. All users’ account information and associated data will be deleted from the Samsung XR service. Once deleted, data cannot be recovered," the company said in a FAQ. "Samsung XR Terms of Service states that all sales of purchased content are final."
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1593514909
Thanks given by:
bhampton (06-30-2020), Ender14 (06-30-2020), Vilya (06-30-2020), Wendell R. Breland (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #24612
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
When Samsung axes its VR store, your content vanishes into cyberspace

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1593514909
Another hard lesson for those that buy digital content. Not that many people will learn from it instead insisting that this could never happen to them because they buy their content from a "big" company like "fill-in-the-blank." Who ever heard of Samsung after all?

If you don't possess it, you don't own it. It's just that simple.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (06-30-2020), Ender14 (06-30-2020), Wendell R. Breland (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #24613
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Another hard lesson for those that buy digital content. Not that many people will learn from it instead insisting that this could never happen to them because they buy their content from a "big" company like "fill-in-the-blank." Who ever heard of Samsung after all?

If you don't possess it, you don't own it. It's just that simple.
Your looking at this incorrectly. This is a example of Facebook Technologies partnered with Qualcomm and Xiaomi, they are bailing.

Developers get a broader VR market with Oculus Go

look at https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-vr/
can't miss the powered by Oculus

Oculus is killing its Samsung Gear VR apps and we’re not surprised - sammobile 3 months ago

The Oculus Go is dead, and virtual reality is better for it - PCWorld 6/25/20

Quote:
As I said, it was a play for the mass market. A play for Facebook's "social VR," perhaps. If your goal is to sell a billion VR headsets...well, you're not going to do that by selling to people who play video games. Even the best-selling consoles top out around 100 million units. The (seemingly obvious) solution: Make an affordable headset that appeals to a different audience.

But as it turns out, it's hard to sell people on virtual reality if you strip out everything that makes virtual reality special. Even by 2018 standards, Oculus Go provided a dismal experience. Seated, with a lackluster display and a mediocre battery, Go's only strength was its lack of cabling. Like Gear VR, that made it great for demoing to first-timers. You could take Go anywhere, and a hell of a lot easier than you could drag your Rift to a friend's place.

Buy one, though? That was harder to recommend. Rift games no longer made it over to Oculus Go. There was no Lone Echo on Go, nor even the potential for it. The platforms were fundamentally different. Look at the Top Selling Oculus Go games, and it's remarkable how many of them are still games released for Gear VR in 2015. The Rift struggled for years to produce a solid software lineup even with enthusiastic developers behind it. Oculus Go never had a chance.

Last edited by JohnAV; 06-30-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #24614
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Your looking at this incorrectly. This is a example of Facebook Technologies partnered with Qualcomm and Xiaomi, they are bailing.

Developers get a broader VR market with Oculus Go

look at https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-vr/
can't miss the powered by Oculus

The Oculus Go is dead, and virtual reality is better for it - PCWorld 6/1
I may view things askew sometimes, but I never look at them incorrectly.

You seem to be missing the larger point: It is still purchased digital content that is outright vanishing into thin air leaving those who bought it only with memories.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #24615

Jul 2018

..would appreciate some tecnical advice...i have a pioneer receiver HTP-073 which only has 4k pass through...and a 4k UHD blu-ray player but the tv is 1080p HD but not 4k..if i were to play a 4k disc would the receiver and tv accept playback (obviously downscaled to 1080p) ..?..thanks for any info..
Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #24616
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
I may view things askew sometimes, but I never look at them incorrectly.

You seem to be missing the larger point: It is still purchased digital content that is outright vanishing into thin air leaving those who bought it only with memories.
FlatPanelsHD continues to propagate misinformation.

Quote:
A recurring theme with content purchased digitally is the question of what will happen if the company closes shop or goes bankrupt. Of course Samsung is not going bankrupt but the company will close its 'VR Videos' app and all of its 'XR' services.
In this article did they even bother to state the real reasons, even dig a little deeper absolutely not. Its was just Samsung fault.

We have all kinds of things that technology end of life occurs, if you consider this the same as digital movies/tv content you're on a sugar high from dousing yourself with way too much iced blueberry tea.
Thanks given by:
alchav21 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #24617
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisis2 View Post
..would appreciate some tecnical advice...i have a pioneer receiver HTP-073 which only has 4k pass through...and a 4k UHD blu-ray player but the tv is 1080p HD but not 4k..if i were to play a 4k disc would the receiver and tv accept playback (obviously downscaled to 1080p) ..?..thanks for any info..
HDCP would force only 1080P playback from source even playing the UHD BD media. The chain has to be all HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 to play 4K with HDR10. Solve this by getting a reasonable 4K display.
Thanks given by:
thisis2 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #24618
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
FlatPanelsHD continues to propagate misinformation.

In this article did they even bother to state the real reasons, even dig a little deeper absolutely not. Its was just Samsung fault.

We have all kinds of things that technology end of life occurs, if you consider this the same as digital movies/tv content you're on a sugar high from dousing yourself with way too much iced blueberry tea.
I do not recall criticizing FlatPanelsHD.

The point remains that the digitally purchased content, including movies and documentaries, is disappearing and that those who paid for this content will get no compensation of any kind. Whether they blame Samsung, Oculus, me, you, or the Coneheads they are still out their money.

I am drinking peach iced tea, for your information, and I can, to this very day, watch the physical media formats that I purchased 35 years ago. The hardware still works and so does the media. What I purchased, I still own and it all works.

Last edited by Vilya; 06-30-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #24619
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
HDCP would force only 1080P playback from source even playing the UHD BD media. The chain has to be all HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 to play 4K with HDR10. Solve this by getting a reasonable 4K display.
He just wants to know how best to connect and use what he has; telling him to buy a new TV is not being very helpful.
Thanks given by:
thisis2 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #24620
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
He just wants to know how best to connect and use what he has; telling him to buy a new TV is not being very helpful.
Did I not say that in the first sentence?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology