Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
2 hrs ago
Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.49
 
Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.41
 
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.88
 
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
The Green Hornet 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.77
 
Nurse 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
The Polar Express 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99
 
My Bloody Valentine 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #801
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
565
1824
5
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
Whether it’s a conscious decision or not, the fact that the decision is made to REDUCE 3D, by definition disqualifies it from the top rung of movies that push 3D.
And if you want to argue that point then go right ahead but as I said, that comes down to what we personally want from a 3D aesthetic which in my mind is separate from the quality of the actual conversion itself, like the roto work and whatnot. In that respect Titanic is shockingly good IMO, it's one of the cleanest conversions I've ever seen. Stuff like Jurassic Park and Top Gun are more in your face, literally, but that comes at the expense of more obvious conversion artefacts, particularly in the case of Top Gun. Cameron hates floating windows too so it's nice not having those intrude on to the image, unlike TG which has floating windows galore.

Last edited by the13thman; 06-29-2020 at 08:41 AM. Reason: admin
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
levcore (06-29-2020), Paul H (06-28-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #802
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
And if you want to argue that point then go right ahead but as I said, that comes down to what we personally want from a 3D aesthetic which in my mind is separate from the quality of the actual conversion itself, like the roto work and whatnot. In that respect Titanic is shockingly good IMO, it's one of the cleanest conversions I've ever seen. Stuff like Jurassic Park and Top Gun are more in your face, literally, but that comes at the expense of more obvious conversion artefacts, particularly in the case of Top Gun. Cameron hates floating windows too so it's nice not having those intrude on to the image, unlike TG which has floating windows galore.


I've got the 3D BD and it's damned good. But, in reference to what lev aksed about which one has the better 3D, I'd say that all three have their moments and it's clear that all three came from the same filmmaker as there are moments when they hold back the 3D and moments where they really push the 3D. There are probably more instances of the 3D being "pushed" in Avadah and T2 than in Titanic but as they're more action-oriented than Titanic I'm not surprised.
I’d rank the 3D quality in Jurassic Park well above Titanic 3D in EVERY MEASURE.

And this review sums up the reasons why...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Telegram Sam (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #803
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
108
1772
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviosis View Post
I got so used to the open matte aspect ratio on the 3D disc that the film looks cramped af when watching on my new 65 inch 4KTV.. Hopefully Cameron can be somehow convinced to keep that aspect ratio when this comes out on 4K UHD.
It's a similar thing with Avatar isn't it? Although it's been a good while since I watched that in 2D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #804
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
8
1972
35
2
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
It's a similar thing with Avatar isn't it? Although it's been a good while since I watched that in 2D.
Avatar is open-matte in 2D too, at least it is in the Extended Collector's edition set.

And for the record, just to help keep this thread focused on Titanic, I've moved the general discussion about Avatar, Titanic and T2 to the general discussion thread.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
T. Warren Scollan (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #805
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
108
1772
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
Avatar is open-matte in 2D too, at least it is in the Extended Collector's edition set.

And for the record, just to help keep this thread focused on Titanic, I've moved the general discussion about Avatar, Titanic and T2 to the general discussion thread.
Thanks, I do own that set but couldn't remember exactly.

The opened up Titanic is just stunning.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
aviosis (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #806
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
8
1972
35
2
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
The opened up Titanic is just stunning.
I never got around to watching Titanic in 2D and because of the quality of the 3D and the opened up aspect ratio, I never will.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
aviosis (06-30-2020), dartfrog298 (06-29-2020), levcore (06-29-2020), The Creature (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #807
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
108
1772
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I never got around to watching Titanic in 2D and because of the quality of the 3D and the opened up aspect ratio, I never will.
Oh man I saw it 3 times in the cinema!

Edit: in 1997/8 that is!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Count Orlok (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #808
Count Orlok Count Orlok is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Count Orlok's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
41.7325° N, 49.9469° W
42
111
1702
80
103
358
1
10
172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Oh man I saw it 3 times in the cinema!

Edit: in 1997/8 that is!
Titanic deserves the biggest screen possible, not just in its superior converted 3D version, but its original format as well. The IMAX experience made it something you shouldn't have missed. The wow factor went into overdrive and made it that much more of an epic than it was back in 97.

Since it came out, I've seen it 28 times in the theater. I wish I had been able to see it in 70mm. It's the only way I haven't experienced Titanic.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
aviosis (06-30-2020), levcore (06-29-2020), the13thman (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #809
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
108
1772
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Orlok View Post
Titanic deserves the biggest screen possible, not just in its superior converted 3D version, but its original format as well. The IMAX experience made it something you shouldn't have missed. The wow factor went into overdrive and made it that much more of an epic than it was back in 97.

Since it came out, I've seen it 28 times in the theater. I wish I had been able to see it in 70mm. It's the only way I haven't experienced Titanic.
Wow 28 times in theatres is really something!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #810
Telegram Sam Telegram Sam is offline
Active Member
 
Telegram Sam's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Default

I wish we had more to thank the 3D Titanic for. What I mean by that is, as far as I know this film was the pioneer in the field of the legacy post-conversion, and it's the film that prompted Spielberg to have a go with his dinosaur movie. In total there were five or six(?) properly-done legacy conversions?* When, if things had worked out differently, there could be several dozen or more by now. And, after Judgement Day, I think The Abyss may well have been JC's next effort, which is something I'd love to have seen.

EDIT: I know it's not relevant to discussion about Titanic, but in light of some of the follow-up comments below, I should have specified "live action". I sort of consider legacy CG 3D re-releases not to be in the same category as they were (most of them) fully re-rendered in stereo, and the few cell animated post-conversions are - I assume - far easier to convert than live action due to their vastly reduced amount of detail.

Last edited by Telegram Sam; 06-29-2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: To clarify a side issue!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #811
Count Orlok Count Orlok is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Count Orlok's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
41.7325° N, 49.9469° W
42
111
1702
80
103
358
1
10
172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Wow 28 times in theatres is really something!
I have no life.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=96

Last edited by Count Orlok; 06-29-2020 at 06:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
levcore (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #812
Filmmaker Filmmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Filmmaker's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)
6
357
1851
592
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
In total there were five or six(?) properly-done legacy conversions?
Which titles would you consider those to be?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #813
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
108
1772
3
Default

I'm guessing Titanic, Jurassic Park, Top Gun, T2, Wizard of Oz and another I can't think of lol.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Telegram Sam (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #814
Count Orlok Count Orlok is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Count Orlok's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
41.7325° N, 49.9469° W
42
111
1702
80
103
358
1
10
172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I'm guessing Titanic, Jurassic Park, Top Gun, T2, Wizard of Oz and another I can't think of lol.
Could others be Finding Nemo, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, and SW The Phantom Menace?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Telegram Sam (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #815
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
8
1972
35
2
2
Default

If we're including animated titles Beauty and the Beast is another, together with the first two Toy Story movies but please, let's stay on topic here.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
T. Warren Scollan (06-29-2020), Telegram Sam (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #816
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
as far as I know this film was the pioneer in the field of the legacy post-conversion
Agreed. Also, this should not be confused with the several re-rendered 3D animation titles..
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Telegram Sam (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:17 AM   #817
aviosis aviosis is offline
Active Member
 
aviosis's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
164
597
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I never got around to watching Titanic in 2D and because of the quality of the 3D and the opened up aspect ratio, I never will.
Lucky you! My old 49 inch 3DTV set got really old and slow and I decided to toss it and upgrade to a fantastic 65 inch 4KTV from Sony. It’s stellar and I really don’t miss 3D all that much...but I miss my open matte Titanic ://

Not that I expect that this is possible but is there ANY way I can trick the signal to my 4KTV to accept the 3D disc as 2D? I know my old 3DTV could since I usually preferred to watch the 2D open matte glasses-free by myself and would only really turn on 3D to impress company lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #818
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
108
1772
3
Default

I bumped it for you. I presume you're talking about the animated one.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The Creature (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #819
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
I wish we had more to thank the 3D Titanic for. What I mean by that is, as far as I know this film was the pioneer in the field of the legacy post-conversion, and it's the film that prompted Spielberg to have a go with his dinosaur movie. In total there were five or six(?) properly-done legacy conversions?* When, if things had worked out differently, there could be several dozen or more by now. And, after Judgement Day, I think The Abyss may well have been JC's next effort, which is something I'd love to have seen.

EDIT: I know it's not relevant to discussion about Titanic, but in light of some of the follow-up comments below, I should have specified "live action". I sort of consider legacy CG 3D re-releases not to be in the same category as they were (most of them) fully re-rendered in stereo, and the few cell animated post-conversions are - I assume - far easier to convert than live action due to their vastly reduced amount of detail.
You may include Predator 3d on that “legacy conversion” list. While it’s not top-tier, it improves on the 2D significantly, and unlike Titanic’s pathetic excuse for lack of 3D in certain scenes, it is all 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #820
Rickyrockard Rickyrockard is offline
Expert Member
 
Rickyrockard's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
England
20
168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
You may include Predator 3d on that “legacy conversion” list. While it’s not top-tier, it improves on the 2D significantly, and unlike Titanic’s pathetic excuse for lack of 3D in certain scenes, it is all 3D.
That’s a [largely] auto-conversion. So no, not in the same bracket I’d say.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...53&postcount=9
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Count Orlok (06-30-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:56 PM.