Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
1 hr ago
Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits (Blu-ray)
$62.49

Cinema Paradiso 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
22 hrs ago
Come and See (Blu-ray)
$22.97
4 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$22.97
19 hrs ago
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$22.97
10 hrs ago
Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Until the End of the World (Blu-ray)
$22.97

Armored Trooper Votoms: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
5 hrs ago
Children of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$14.99

District 9 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #221

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Fair enough, but would you agree Fury Road was a good movie? The vast majority of critics and general audience seem to think so.
The people who jumped on the Mad Max bandwagon for the first time with Fury Road probably think it's the best, but a significant number of old fans still prefer the films with Mel. Fury Road is basically a redo of The Road Warrior with more spit and polish and CGI. It's a perfectly competent action movie, but it lacks the grimy DIY aesthetic of the original two movies. It looks like people really got hurt doing those stunts, whereas Fury Road seems like a blockbuster from 2015. It's missing the grit and atmosphere, and Mel Gibson is an infinitely more charismatic actor than Tom Hardy. I also prefer Beyond Thunderdome to Fury Road, because I think the Max-centric narrative is more engrossing, and it also gives the original Max some redemption, giving him the kids as a raison d'Ítre to break him from his anti-social nomadic state.

Last edited by HotTastyChili; 06-30-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (06-30-2020), drak b (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #222
Blu-ray Count

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTastyChili View Post
The people who jumped on the Mad Max bandwagon for the first time with Fury Road probably think it's the best, but a significant number of old fans still prefer the films with Mel. Fury Road is basically a redo of The Road Warrior with more spit and polish and CGI. It's a perfectly competent action movie, but it likes the grimy DIY aesthetic of the original two movies. It looks like people really got hurt doing those stunts, whereas Fury Road seems like a blockbuster from 2015. It's missing the grit and atmosphere, and Mel Gibson is an infinitely more charismatic actor than Tom Hardy. I also prefer Beyond Thunderdome to Fury Road, because I think the Max-centric narrative is more engrossing, and it also gives the original Max some redemption, giving him the kids as a raison d'Ítre to break him from his anti-social nomadic state.
Well said.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #223
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Herbert West View Post
It's fine.

Prometheus > Alien: Covenant > Fury Road

Dark Fate = Fury Road
Each to their own. I enjoy Fury Road whereas I think Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are out and out bad movies. The less said about every single Terminator movie post T2 the better.

I'll use another example as Fury Road doesn't seem as popular on this forum as I thought it would be. Toy Story 4. TS4 doesn't hit the heights of the original Toy Story trilogy but it has engaging characters that you care about so when those characters are put in danger or struggle you feel it. With the Alien and Terminator recent movies, I don't feel a thing. I am utterly bored and if a nuclear bomb was dropped into the middle of the movie killing every character on screen I wouldn't give a ****. Contrast that with the first two Alien and Terminator movies. In some instances, I was literally on the edge of my seat. Some people don't want to acknowledge both franchises have fallen off a cliff but you only have to look at the box office. The audience are voting with their feet.

Last edited by spider-neil; 06-30-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #224
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
It's a perfectly competent action movie,
Oh it's so much more than that.
Thanks given by:
NoFro (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #225
Blu-ray Count

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Some people don't want to acknowledge both franchises have fallen off a cliff
Alien fell off a cliff after Alien Resurrection. Prometheus and Covenant brought some quality back to the series.

Dark Fate may not be a classic, but I'll it take over the 3 previous Terminator films.
Thanks given by:
Evanos (07-01-2020), Himmel (06-30-2020), NoFro (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #226
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Georgia

How many times do these movies have to bomb before they realize that there is no more gas in the tank?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #227
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

Quote:
Alien fell off a cliff after Alien Resurrection. Prometheus and Covenant brought some quality back to the series.

Dark Fate may not be a classic, but I'll it take over the 3 previous Terminator films.
For me, 'okay' is not good enough for Terminator or Alien. Bring the A game or don't bother making a sequel. Look at the sequel for Blade Runner, 'that' is the level of quality you should be aiming for. Taking a beloved franchise and expanding the mythology whilst giving us some new and engaging characters and breathtaking visions. 'Okay' doesn't cut it.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #228
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Georgia

Quote:
The people who jumped on the Mad Max bandwagon for the first time with Fury Road probably think it's the best, but a significant number of old fans still prefer the films with Mel. Fury Road is basically a redo of The Road Warrior with more spit and polish and CGI. It's a perfectly competent action movie, but it likes the grimy DIY aesthetic of the original two movies. It looks like people really got hurt doing those stunts, whereas Fury Road seems like a blockbuster from 2015. It's missing the grit and atmosphere, and Mel Gibson is an infinitely more charismatic actor than Tom Hardy. I also prefer Beyond Thunderdome to Fury Road, because I think the Max-centric narrative is more engrossing, and it also gives the original Max some redemption, giving him the kids as a raison d'Ítre to break him from his anti-social nomadic state.
Mel Gibson in 2015 was still way more charismatic than Hardy. Still is now.
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (06-30-2020), drak b (06-30-2020), HotTastyChili (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #229
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Mel Gibson in 2015 was still way more charismatic than Hardy. Still is now.
Except there was no way WB was going to sink 150mil into a Mel Gibson starring Mad Max movie in 2012 (when Fury Road was in production).

It was either another actor or no movie. Considering George Miller gave us one of the greatest action movies ever made, i'm glad they went with another actor.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #230
Blu-ray Count

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
For me, 'okay' is not good enough for Terminator or Alien. Bring the A game or don't bother making a sequel. Look at the sequel for Blade Runner, 'that' is the level of quality you should be aiming for. Taking a beloved franchise and expanding the mythology whilst giving us some new and engaging characters and breathtaking visions. 'Okay' doesn't cut it.
I consider Prometheus and Covenant to be much better than just 'okay'.

Hell, I like them more than Aliens.
Thanks given by:
Evanos (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #231
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

Quote:

Hell, I like them more than Aliens.
Seriously? Wow. Each to their own.
Thanks given by:
Gamma_Winstead (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #232
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:

Exactly my feelings, and the fact that the original creatives were involved were what brought back the quality. Sure we would have liked to have seen Cameron direct Dark Fate (and i'd bet a years salary that he wouldn't have used the script that was put into production for his own film) but some manner of trying to get the series back on track rather than grinding out another franchise offering helped.
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #233
Blu-ray Count

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Seriously?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #234

Aug 2017
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Except there was no way WB was going to sink 150mil into a Mel Gibson starring Mad Max movie in 2012 (when Fury Road was in production).

It was either another actor or no movie. Considering George Miller gave us one of the greatest action movies ever made, i'm glad they went with another actor.
Sure, but it would have been perfect with Mel. For continuity's sake, but consider also the following. Mel, the misogynistic bastard, who verbally assaulted his ex in that recording which was made public, the savior of these women. Well, at least in support of Furiosa. Would have been great. Probably would have worked too. Studio companies are always so fickle.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #235
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris_schaffer View Post
Sure, but it would have been perfect with Mel. For continuity's sake, but consider also the following. Mel, the misogynistic bastard, who verbally assaulted his ex in that recording which was made public, the savior of these women. Well, at least in support of Furiosa. Would have been great. Probably would have worked too. Studio companies are always so fickle.
It was all set up for Mel, they just never changed it when they went with a younger actor. Fury Road makes much more sense with Max being Mel's age.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #236
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
It was all set up for Mel, they just never changed it when they went with a younger actor. Fury Road makes much more sense with Max being Mel's age.
It doesn't; George Miller himself said that he took too long to get Fury Road off the ground with Gibson attached, and the window passed by for that to happen; there is almost a 30 year age gap between Thunderdome and Road, how do you explain what Max has been up to for three decades?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #237
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007

This series is almost nearly as bad as the fast and furious. Talk about character mashups and time line destruction.

Imo they should of carried on the story with Salvation, switching back after that has really cheapened this franchise imo. Other then the first two movies in this series, i thought Salvation was rather well done and enjoyed it.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #238
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2014
S„o Paulo, Brazil

Is Fury Road supposed to be a sequel? Given the fact that Max's flashbacks in FR (a little girl running from a car) have nothing to do with the trauma he experienced in the first film I assumed it was supposed to be a reboot.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #239

Aug 2017
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
It doesn't; George Miller himself said that he took too long to get Fury Road off the ground with Gibson attached, and the window passed by for that to happen; there is almost a 30 year age gap between Thunderdome and Road, how do you explain what Max has been up to for three decades?
But it's the same actor so age Gap doesn't matter unless Mel was too old to deal with the physical stuff.

As for what he did in the intervening years, biding his time? Living a life of relative tranquility? Lord knows the man's earned it.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #240

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
How many times do these movies have to bomb before they realize that there is no more gas in the tank?
There's plenty of gas in the tank. You could a number of things:

1. I still think people would love to this done right, but imagine a true prequel with a CGI de-aged Michael Biehn in the future war as it was depicted in the first two movies, like a stripped down Sci-Fi/Horror War film?

2. Dark Fate was shit but it doesn't mean a good sequel to T2 without the shitty woke politics and a grown-up John Connor couldn't work! I think Norman Reedus would be a great choice to play him. More practical stunts like in Judgement Day, not the ugly, over-blown CGI-fests since!

3. My personal choice. You could reboot it entirely, borrowing only the basic premise with new characters, style and tone. Imagine someone like Nicolas Winding Refn given carte blanche to do a visually gorgeous, neon-soaked Terminator film complete with synth soundtrack, or someone like S. Craig Zahler or Jermey Saulnier doing a grimy, nightmarish Horror movie with a Terminator hunting someone through a dystopic landscape?

4. There's some good stuff in the Terminator comic books that could be adapted also...

Point is, there's a lot that COULD be done but we all know the studio will go with safe 'yes men' directors and pared-down, easily digestible plots infected with whatever political agenda is in vogue at the time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies