Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Jurassic World: Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$72.77
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Six (Blu-ray)
$35.49
17 hrs ago
Righting Wrongs (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
Men (Blu-ray)
$19.96
8 hrs ago
Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.95

Paths of Glory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.98
8 hrs ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$103.78
15 hrs ago
Scream 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.95
20 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Eve of the Daleks & Legend of the Sea Devils (Blu-ray)
$12.49
13 hrs ago
The Boyfriend School (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Flux: The Complete Thirteenth Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Kamen Rider Kuuga: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 06-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020
Default Connect receiver-connected sub woofer to my computer as well

I just woke up from a dream in which my monitor was on the center of my desk rather than more to the left and my Audio Engine A2+ speakers were accompanied by a center speaker and sub woofer. I moved the monitor to the center and I kind of like it. Moved the right speaker as well. But I don't wanna spend 350 dollars on the Audio Engine sub woofer when I already have the Sony in the same room. It's about 64 inches behind my ears when I'm sitting, pointing to the right rather than towards my back. But I've always read sub woofer positions don't matter. The sub woofer is connected to the receiver with an RCA cable. The computer motherboard has headphone jacks and an Optical S/PDIF. Desktop speakers are connected with USB. The sub woofer only has connections for speaker wire and the RCA cable that I'm using. The receiver is also connected to my computer, but I don't want to control the volume of the receiver/TV's speaker system when I'm using the desktop speakers and sub woofer. I also don't really like having to turn on the receiver in order to route the LFE from the PC, because it means both TV and monitors are considered on in Windows. I only ever use one or the other.

So what can I do? Do I need to get a S/PDIF to RCA converter and a switch that allows me to toggle between the receiver and PC? Would Windows even be able to have both the USB desktop speakers and S/PDIF sub woofer active at the same time. I've never been able to use both my headphones and speakers at once. When I look up how to use multiple audio devices at once, I find steps for how to use speakers and microphones at the same time, which is not what I'm trying to do.

If it's too complicated, I may just keep using plain stereo or my studio headphones. It was only a dream.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

I guess I'd use Zone 2 if I did it through the receiver. I don't know if it would use the same sub woofer, though. Probably not.

Forgot to mention that the receiver (TX-NR575) starts making a noise when it's on for very long, which is another reason I don't wanna use it if I don't have to. I'm at the desk much more than in front of the TV. One of the capacitors, I'm guessing.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:31 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

Just learned that you connect a sub woofer through those RCA outputs on the Audio Engine A2. Red and white. The receiver only has the one black RCA. So I'll just have to join the red and white into one and connect both the receiver and desktop speakers to the same RCA input on the sub woofer with a splitter.

Last edited by Warm Gun; 07-06-2022 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

Think I got it now. Wonder what kind of signal loss I'll have.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

That's more or less what I'm doing. In my office/mancave I have a Klipsch soundbar connected directly to my PC, but also have a separate home theater setup with 2 subs. I have the sub analog out on the PC connected directly to one of the subs using a 3.5mm-to-RCA stereo splitter from the PC (only because I have a bunch of these lying around), and on the subwoofer end is a RCA stereo-to-mono y-adapter connected to the sub's non-LFE analog input. And then my preamp subwoofer out is connected to the other RCA LFE input.

I do also have the PC connected via optical from a Dolby Digital Live sound card to my HT which I use for gaming, and also connected via HDMI for when games have Dolby Atmos support. But I don't always want to have the HT fired up when I'm just doing basic stuff on the PC, so that's when the soundbar is doing its duty.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers