Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Jurassic World: Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$72.77
3 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Six (Blu-ray)
$35.49
16 hrs ago
Righting Wrongs (Blu-ray)
$26.99
23 hrs ago
Men (Blu-ray)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.95

Paths of Glory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.98
7 hrs ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$103.78
14 hrs ago
Scream 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.95
19 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Eve of the Daleks & Legend of the Sea Devils (Blu-ray)
$12.49
12 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Flux: The Complete Thirteenth Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
The Boyfriend School (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.30
21 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 411 55.77%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 326 44.23%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2022, 01:29 AM   #4901
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
Even though the transfer is a bit noisy and it's an early MGM letterboxing release this is still my favorite version of Spy to watch. It doesn't have the more video-y look of the THX master and crucially this was the first time the premiere 4 track stereo master was released. The film was mono in general release and now that track is only found on the initial pan n scan time compressed releases. The later reissues remixed the audio into 5.1 but also hit it with some noise reduction and the like. While thankfully the film hasn't had a complete abominable remix like the earlier mono films this is still my favorite sounding version in spite of the big scratching noise in one channel as they first approach Atlantis.

Though it does have that one spot in the transfer where all of a sudden it was like someone tried a test and went crazy with video tools. When Bond and Carter are talking before the wetbike is brought in the transfer suddenly looks awful.
What do you guys expect when you're watching analog, laserdisc movies on a digital 4K TV or a projector screen.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:30 PM   #4902

Apr 2013
City On The Edge Of Forever

Interesting, I'd be curious to hear the difference between it and the PCM track from the DVD.
Love the cover art!
Old 08-13-2022, 05:39 AM   #4903
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012
On Radford near the In 'N Out Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
What do you guys expect when you're watching analog, laserdisc movies on a digital 4K TV or a projector screen.
Funny, I didn't see the words 4K or projector in the post you quoted. How do you know he isn't watching laserdiscs on a CRT TV?
Old 08-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #4904

Oct 2021

laserdisc
the man with the golden gun 1974 mono mix / w/s 1.66:1 / THX sound system
print version rare with que dots

nice colour on the transfer and framing of the panavision spherical lens .

mono mix has some ample low end here which the lucasfilm ltd THX sound system reproduces exceptional well that easily pressurizes room with OBE bass extension .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg g1.jpg (95.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg g3.jpg (93.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg g4.jpg (85.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg g5.jpg (82.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg g6.jpg (86.7 KB, 140 views)
Thanks given by:
buck135 (Yesterday), captainsolo (08-14-2022), Wolfschmidt (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #4905

Oct 2012

Nice. I literally have this one on order in the mail right now.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #4906
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

That letterbox reissue of TMWTGG is probably the best standard Bond release MGMUA did. It was the final title along with the LTK reissue. They each had lovely gatefolds with original poster art. It finally presented the film letterboxed, the transfer is improved, the pressing is wonderful and most importantly the sound is FAR beefier than the older releases which sound like print sourced mono. In fact it is so much beefier that it makes me think of my research in trying to figure out if any of the rumored Bond magnetic stereo runs. TMWTGG is one of the films where there possibly could have been a magnetic theatrical presentation.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #4907

Oct 2021

Quote:
That letterbox reissue of TMWTGG is probably the best standard Bond release MGMUA did. It was the final title along with the LTK reissue. They each had lovely gatefolds with original poster art. It finally presented the film letterboxed, the transfer is improved, the pressing is wonderful and most importantly the sound is FAR beefier than the older releases which sound like print sourced mono. In fact it is so much beefier that it makes me think of my research in trying to figure out if any of the rumored Bond magnetic stereo runs. TMWTGG is one of the films where there possibly could have been a magnetic theatrical presentation.
i have to give this , again another listening spectrum lab testing . extremely hot weather past week .
very possible four track magantic , three channel stereo only at london odeon ls premiere .
Old 08-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #4908

Jan 2016
Midwest USA

I have one of the original Pioneer VP-1000 LD players, it has a special video out without the video dropout compensator (for use with a planned 12" digital audio disc, this special video out would feed an external digital audio decoder).

I tried a few of my old DiscoVision LDs thru this special video out, it's amazing how many video dropouts there were (and how well the repeat scan line dropout compensator hid them on the regular video out).

Anyone else have a VP-1000 and checked out both some old DiscoVision LDs and some of the (much) later THX made in Japan LDs to see how many video dropouts there are?

Kirk Bayne
Old 08-17-2022, 08:51 PM   #4909
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

So I was finally able to track down a nice e800. Got lucky and found it on Craigslist for $20! You definitely need to be patient, but eventually you'll come across a solid deal.

Seller was willing to ship. Of course, it cost more to ship the damn thing.

Very happy with the unit. He was the original owner but did not include the remote. No big deal as it's really only meant for AC-3 and defaults to it automatically-plus you've got all the controls/buttons in the front.

My COAX cable is pretty old, so I'll probably pick up a Monster one.

I guess these demodulators can get pretty hot, so I'll be monitoring it.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (Yesterday), Vanguard (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #4910

Oct 2021

^ nice upgrade with the sony .

man with golden gun , low end on the laserdisc is low end cinematic . the scene (all scenes) scene where , scaramanga shoots , hai fat . spectrum lab

feels like mini sensurround earthquke in THX down to 10Hz ? if it's there and sounding and feeling in the sub there then it is real .

tested with region 2 dvd remix 5.1 i would show spectrum lab . better that someone downloads it and checks the low end on the movie .

anyway , laserdisc mono mix wins !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mgg.jpg (103.3 KB, 65 views)
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (08-17-2022), Wolfschmidt (Yesterday)
Old 08-17-2022, 10:14 PM   #4911

Apr 2013
City On The Edge Of Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post

I guess these demodulators can get pretty hot, so I'll be monitoring it.
Glad you got finally got one, and at a hell of a price!

Yes, the top gets extremely hot, so do not stack anything on it. Give it plenty of room to breathe. Poor design to not even include simple vents to let the heat escape.

You may notice the unit actually 'clicks' off every time you pause the film, as it stops receiving the Dolby Digital signal. Annoying if you are scene skipping.

Also, I believe the Soundfield button has to be On for it to properly output the signal. As long as the E800 display says 'discrete', I think its good to go.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (Yesterday), sfmarine (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 10:38 PM   #4912
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2008
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Glad you got finally got one, and at a hell of a price!

Yes, the top gets extremely hot, so do not stack anything on it. Give it plenty of room to breathe. Poor design to not even include simple vents to let the heat escape.

You may notice the unit actually 'clicks' off every time you pause the film, as it stops receiving the Dolby Digital signal. Annoying if you are scene skipping.

Also, I believe the Soundfield button has to be On for it to properly output the signal. As long as the E800 display says 'discrete', I think its good to go.
Yeah I definitely made out well. I have noticed the clicking noise. Definitely annoying.

Thanks for the Soundfield button tip. Honestly it automatically showed up in 'discrete' mode, so it's good to go. I literally just hooked everything up and powered it all on and didn't have to hit any buttons except for 'Play' on my LD player. The e800 handled everything flawlessly.

Also showing the Dolby Digital logo on my receiver. All is well!

You'll probably remember my DTS issue. It's good to know that the player handles AC-3 no problem. No crazy chirping or audio distortion. So this player will most likely just be a dedicated AC-3 player (considering it's my only player with AC-3 Out), and I'll use my S2 for everything else.
Thanks given by:
Vanguard (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM   #4913
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Mine's the same way. Be careful as the display burns out easily. I found mine in a Goodwill and I finally got the display to come on for a little while to get the settings right.

If you forget and leave it on for hours the unit will get VERY hot.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM   #4914

Oct 2012

Received the MWTGG LD today. Did an ears-only comparison to the Blu-ray mono and it's no contest, the Blu (compressed, I'm told) is very weak and boxy-sounding. On the LD Sir Roger's and Lee's voices have a pleasing depth and sonority. The punches and crashes in the first fight scene have plenty of 'oomph.' Fine presentation. Thanks for all the info.

Just happened to win an auction for the LTK reissue mentioned above at the same time, so that's on the way. One of my sleeper favorite Bonds.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #4915

Feb 2012

I have three laserdiscs coming in this week for my audio preservation project. Sometimes you can find good deals on eBay if you're fast enough.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #4916
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2008

Quote:
Mine's the same way. Be careful as the display burns out easily. I found mine in a Goodwill and I finally got the display to come on for a little while to get the settings right.

If you forget and leave it on for hours the unit will get VERY hot.
Wow...what a great find at Goodwill! I should really start checking out my local thrift stores.

I'm guessing there is no dimmer option on the remote for the display? I'll definitely try to baby this thing as best as I can. So far it hasn't gotten extremely hot but it's so strange how they didn't put vents in. I saw a thread on LDDB where someone modded their player and installed a fan along with fixing the display.

I've been meaning to PM you a question regarding the Star Wars soundtracks so PM inbound.

Last edited by sfmarine; Yesterday at 11:36 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion