Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
21 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

A Certain Scientific Railgun T: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$56.07
11 hrs ago
Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$42.99

InuYasha: Set 5 (Blu-ray)
$27.99

One-Punch Man: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.63

InuYasha: Set 4 (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Kandagawa Jet Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Naruto: Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.63
1 day ago
Made in Abyss Theatrical Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma: The Third Plate (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #3461
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusKenshiro View Post
Does anyone know why Discotek refuses to make booklets with their Blu rays? They tout themselves as a botique Blu ray label, but when they do these 5000 word essays they won't put em in a booklet whereas every other botique Blu ray label puts booklets in their releases if they have liner notes or essays on the movies. It's a minor gripe, but I like reading the booklets with that stuff and reading about the technical details on how they do some of these transfers. I'm complaining a lot over first world problems, it's just hard to focus on my TV with such tiny text on screen and makes it a chore to read the liner notes than something that's an enjoyable experience. Maybe I'm too much of an ******* expecting too much.
During their last announcements/Q&A stream on Twitch, they all kinda stated that Discotek's focus is on emphasizing all of their budget going towards the content of the disc and not the packaging. So that's why at best you might see a slip cover come with a release, but not much more.
Thanks given by:
cicada88 (Yesterday), Kyle15 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #3462

Apr 2015

IIRC the only Discotek release I have that includes a booklet was "Lupin III: Strange Psychokinetic Strategy"
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #3463
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

I would do UY in a heartbeat if it was similar to the JPN blus and priced like KOR was in like 4-5 sets. I'm thinking they would wait until after they see how well the movies sell.
Thanks given by:
cicada88 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #3464
Power Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
What could anyone possibly do with Redline that wasn’t done on the existing Blu-ray? A slightly better encode? A couple more extras with the English dub cast? That’s just not enough to justify a reissue when the film is not OOP. It certainly wouldn’t qualify as a “megaton” announcement. Yes, Manga Entertainment fizzled, but their release is still in print courtesy of Lionsgate.
Indeed, I doubt the release could be improved. The Redline release is occasionally thrown on the shelves at Walmart to move the massive number of Anime discs they have floating around in the retail warehouses and because Walmart has had a long-standing special relationship with Lionsgate, they have always had a huge number of their titles in their warehouses and stores, when media sales was a priority for the company.
Thanks given by:
GeoffOliver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #3465
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Alabama

The Japanese release has a better encode and comes in fancy packaging. Despite the 10th anniversary stuff happening in Japan right now I don't think it's their big announcement personally.
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #3466
Special Member

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Some of you really know how to suck the fun out of things and it shows.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #3467

Apr 2015

I'm hoping that we get a Lupin Part 5 announcement at the next panel

I also wonder if they will release the 2nd, 3rd & 4th Lupin TV specials (The Mystery of the Hemingway Papers, Steal Napoleon's Dictionary! & From Siberia with Love) on BD like they did with Bye Bye, Lady Liberty (maybe with a new dub for each with the Part 4 cast ) and all the Funimation specials, that way TV Specials 1-12 would all be on BD (and hopefully dubbed)
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #3468
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Of course it is and it wouldn't go anywhere else. What of it?
You do realize a license doesn't last forever right?
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #3469

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoTheMan82 View Post
Nozomi still has the license for Dirty Pair
Oh, you're right. My bad then.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #3470

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaOfEvil View Post
During their last announcements/Q&A stream on Twitch, they all kinda stated that Discotek's focus is on emphasizing all of their budget going towards the content of the disc and not the packaging. So that's why at best you might see a slip cover come with a release, but not much more.
Would take a booklet over a pointless slipcover. I usually throw those things away. I can't imagine the costs are that expensive to NOT have booklets. I would spend an extra $4-$5 on a Discotek release if it meant I could have a booklet instead of being forced to read super tiny text on my TV.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #3471

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoTheMan82 View Post
Nozomi still has the license for Dirty Pair
I thought all the Dirty Pair DVDs are OOP from RightStuf/Nozomi?
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #3472
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

They were heavily discounted during the RightStuf birthday sale over the summer indicating a possible license expiration, but nothing was officially said, so as far as we know, the license is still active.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #3473

Feb 2019
North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusKenshiro View Post
I thought all the Dirty Pair DVDs are OOP from RightStuf/Nozomi?
They're back in-stock currently at RightStuf
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #3474

Oct 2020

I wonder how long NIS America will keep the license to Cardcaptor Sakura? Anime Limited licensed it for the UK in 2019, but haven't said anything else about it (except for a tweet last August saying it's still in the works).
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #3475
Power Member

Jul 2018

Licences usually last for around 3-6 years, though it also depends on if any renewals take place or if the rights holders to the property change and new owners won't honor the prior agreement.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #3476
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Given they (very strangely) re-released the DVDs last year (and they announced the release the same exact day it came out...), they've likely renewed the license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIS America
CARDCAPTOR SAKURA returns with the CARDCAPTOR SAKURA Complete Series Standard Edition (DVD 12-Disc)! This edition compiles Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3 into a single charming collection! Available now: (https://www.rightstufanime.com/Cardc...rd-Edition-DVD) #CardcaptorSakura
https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/statu...78461065089029
Old Today, 02:22 AM   #3477
Power Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTogo84 View Post
You do realize a license doesn't last forever right?
You do realize that the Highlander franchise film rights are owned and controlled by StudioCanal and Lionsgate, right? The Search For Vengeance was produced simultaneously with The Source and Lionsgate, who holds both, will only release both films on Blu-Ray in Murica if/when the Highlander reboot ever goes into production and is released.
Thanks given by:
DukeTogo84 (Today)
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #3478
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
California

Quote:
You do realize that the Highlander franchise film rights are owned and controlled by StudioCanal and Lionsgate, right? The Search For Vengeance was produced simultaneously with The Source and Lionsgate, who holds both, will only release both films on Blu-Ray in Murica if/when the Highlander reboot ever goes into production and is released.
See, you could have just mentioned that to begin with. Either way, that's good to know as it seem unlikely a label like Discotek, Funimation, Sentai, GKids, etc would be able to release it.
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #3479
Power Member

Jul 2018

Quote:
Panzer-Davis owns the Highlander franchise and are starting to regain control to entries previously held by Lionsgate, StudioCanal, and Paramount/Miramax. Not sure how this will effect licencing, but I think Panzer-Davis will still have Lionsgate as exclusive distributor for it's products (like how American Zoetrope has Lionsgate distribute titles not controlled by other studios).
Old Today, 05:06 AM   #3480

Aug 2019

Hey, is the Cagliostro Blu-ray by Discotek good to get? I heard their 4K has too much DVNR? Unless I heard wrong? I just have been meaning to pick it up and I normally trust Discotek, but I heard one of their releases of Cagliostro is wack unless I imagined that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
discotek, discotek media