Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
11 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
18 hrs ago
Lethal Weapon: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
9 hrs ago
Wonder Woman: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
5 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
2 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Lake of Satan / Vampire's Night Orgy (Blu-ray)
$14.77
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
16 hrs ago
The Croods: A New Age (Blu-ray)
$20.98
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:54 AM   #1

Jan 2010
Alberta, Canada
Default LG Plasma Issue

Hi all - I would appreciate any words of wisdom you may have about the horizontal black band that has recently appeared at the bottom of the screen on my 60" LG plasma (shown by the arrow in the attached pic). Specifically, is it repairable and how much it may cost. It's 10 years old and has never given me a minute's trouble until now. Not used for gaming and I've always been very cautious about image burn-in. Thank-you in advance for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LG TV (2).jpg (96.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:09 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

It's kinda hard to tell what it is because, it look like it's camouflaged in whatever content that's showing on the TV. Take another photo of it on a blank screen where you can see it better.

Last edited by slimdude; 02-22-2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:39 AM   #3

Aug 2013

I also have a plasma from 2006 that is going strong, but 4 years in the capacitors failed. It was under long term warranty so the technician came out and ordered parts. Turns out it was the power board which is a pretty large board attached to the mother board inside your plasma panel. I've done research on your problem in the past in case it ever came up. I think it is your Y-Axis or Y-Sustain board that is having a buffering issue. That can cause banding on the display in black or other colors like green and red. There are a few different boards in there.. several in fact and they are all designated for different duties. The problem is going to be in attempting to acquire parts. After ten years, a lot of older plasma displays no longer have part support from the manufacturer or after market dealer. You may just want to look into good modern displays which are very affordable compared to what a plasma cost ten years ago. Best of luck! By the way, I was at Target yesterday and the new LG 65" NanoCell tech display is very affordable and quite impressive visually.

Last edited by Flexicon9; 02-22-2021 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:32 AM   #4

Apr 2010

It looks to me like the aspect ratio is all messed up. I think that is what I'm seeing, an overly large black bar. Maybe mess with the aspect ratio button?
Old 02-22-2021, 05:13 AM   #5

Jan 2010
Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
It's kinda hard to tell what it is because, it look like it's camouflaged in whatever content that's showing on the TV. Take another photo of it on a blank screen where you can see it better.
Okay, maybe this will clear it up. Shows the bezel a little better with the LG logo. The black/green color you see under the golf scores is the bar/band that has appeared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LG TV.jpg (132.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:51 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitonBD View Post
Okay, maybe this will clear it up. Shows the bezel a little better with the LG logo. The black/green color you see under the golf scores is the bar/band that has appeared.
Now I see it. As another poster have stated, it looks like the aspect ratio is off. Check the video settings to see if they're correct. If everything is set to where it's supposed to be, it may be time to look for another TV because, If you take it to a repair shop, they're going to charge you just to look at it without repairing it, when you can put that money toward a new TV.
Old Today, 12:28 AM   #7

Jan 2010
Alberta, Canada
Default *UPDATE*....Fixed!

Fixed for $210 CAD, Tx included. Invoice says it was a "lower scan board". Thanks again for the opinions and advice.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs