Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
11 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
18 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
2 hrs ago
Wonder Woman: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
5 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Lake of Satan / Vampire's Night Orgy (Blu-ray)
$14.77
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
16 hrs ago
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Today, 07:07 PM   #30501
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

And the PS5 doesn't even support Dolby Vision.

Sony mystifies me regarding all of their 4K disc players; how in the hell they thought that forcing people to manually select, and then deselect, Dolby Vision was a good idea escapes me entirely. No other manufacturer implements Dolby Vision in such a blatantly stupid manner. I can not recommend any of their 4K disc players to my family or friends for this reason alone. I know that none of them will bother going into the player's settings to manually turn this on and off each time that a 4K disc has, or lacks, Dolby Vision. It is an inexcusably dumb design and Sony refuses to do anything about it.

There are actually no 4K disc players under $500 that I can recommend. The LG models are widely reported to have disc playback problems while the Panasonic UB 420 has no support for Dolby Vision leaving no good choices in the $250 and under price range.

At the $500 price point, the only player that I can hesitantly recommend is the Panasonic UB 820, but as has been mentioned already the Panasonic 4K disc players are not very good with DVD playback and they are very poor for file playback among other limitations. No one among my family or friends are willing to spend $500 for a 4K disc player, so suggesting the Panasonic UB 820 to them is dead on arrival.

The other 4K disc players are $600, $1000, and up, and I would get laughed at if I were to recommend a 4K disc player in those price ranges.

We need capable 4K disc players that are affordable, around $250 or less, if the format is going to attract more people. If the price of admission for enjoying 4K discs is spending $500 and up for a decent player, then a whole lot of people will continue to say "no thanks."

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 07:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (Today), Lee A Stewart (Today)
Old Today, 07:11 PM   #30502

Jul 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
There are supposed to be more stocks this month.
and they will be gone in 3 minutes
Old Today, 07:14 PM   #30503

Jul 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
And the PS5 doesn't even support Dolby Vision.

Sony mystifies me regarding all of their 4K disc players; how in the hell they thought that forcing people to manually select, and then deselect, Dolby Vision was a good idea escapes me entirely. No other manufacturer implements Dolby Vision in such a blatantly stupid manner. I can not recommend any of their 4K disc players to my family or friends for this reason alone. I know that none of them will bother going into the player's settings to manually turn this on and off each time that a 4K disc has, or lacks, Dolby Vision. It is an inexcusably dumb design and Sony refuses to do anything about it.

There are actually no 4K disc players under $500 that I can recommend. The LG models are widely reported to have disc playback problems while the Panasonic UB 420 has no support for Dolby Vision leaving no good choices in the $250 and under price range.

At the $500 price point, the only player that I can hesitantly recommend is the Panasonic UB 820, but as has been mentioned already the Panasonic 4K disc players are not very good with DVD playback and they are very poor for file playback among other limitations. No one among my family or friends are willing to spend $500 for a 4K disc player, so suggesting the Panasonic UB 820 to them is dead on arrival.

The other 4K disc players are $600, $1000, and up and I would get laughed at if I were to recommend a 4K disc player in those price ranges.

We need capable 4K disc players that are affordable, around $250 or less, if the format is going to attract more people. If the price of admission for enjoying 4K discs is spending $500 and up for a decent player, then a whole lot of people will continue to say "no thanks."
So...youre saying the best DV experience would be through...wait for it..streaming!? Considering there are several major titles available in DV EST but not disc (blade runner, lawrence of arabia, etc)
Old Today, 07:22 PM   #30504
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr3584 View Post
So...youre saying the best DV experience would be through...wait for it..streaming!? Considering there are several major titles available in DV EST but not disc (blade runner, lawrence of arabia, etc)
Best experience? No. Most practical experience? Probably.

The best experience would be to watch a Dolby Vision 4K disc, but as that is not going to happen for many people with the prices for decent 4K disc players being $500 and up, streaming is their only other option for Dolby Vision content. They will likely be quite happy with what they see as they have nothing to compare it with. Hell, they would probably be happy with Dolby Vision streaming even if they could make the comparison making those expensive 4K disc players an even harder sell. I very much doubt that the perceived quality difference between a Dolby Vision stream and a Dolby Vision disc is going to be great enough to motivate many people to spend $500+ on a Dolby Vision capable 4K disc player.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 07:45 PM.
Old Today, 07:28 PM   #30505

Dec 2014
Georgia

Quote:
My Panasonic UB 820 handles Dolby Vision just fine. I've not done any scientific research but to my eyes a disc with Dolby Vision looks better than any of my streaming apps on the same TV. Not to say that the streaming looks bad, the colors are just more vibrant from disc.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (Today)
Old Today, 07:29 PM   #30506

Jul 2010
USA

Interesting- thanks. So, there we have it folks- the most practical 4K experience is through digital, not disc. You can't even buy a player with DV for a reasonable amount of money right now.
I love physical media...but the companies and studios are making it harder to keep this hobby going
Old Today, 07:30 PM   #30507

Jul 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
My Panasonic UB 820 handles Dolby Vision just fine. I've not done any scientific research but to my eyes a disc with Dolby Vision looks better than any of my streaming apps on the same TV. Not to say that the streaming looks bad, the colors are just more vibrant from disc.
Wonder how a DV digital copy would compare to a HDR disc . I cant compare because my tv is only HDR
Old Today, 07:51 PM   #30508

Dec 2014
Georgia

Quote:
Wonder how a DV digital copy would compare to a HDR disc . I cant compare because my tv is only HDR
I've actually wondered that myself. I've been wanting to do some A/B comparisons between streaming/disc and between HD and 4K. I still plan on doing so if I can find the time and will let you know what I observe. With screenshots if I can swing it.
Thanks given by:
cpr3584 (Today)
Old Today, 08:03 PM   #30509
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
It is always nice to see more 4K disc players, but both of these are expensive.

The UBR-X100 works out to $964.61 once you convert those Euros to dollars while the UBR-X200 costs $1930.12. Of those that own/want 4K disc players, I wonder what percentage of them are willing to pay such prices for a 4K disc player? Several of us here would, but we've always been "special" like that.

We need more affordable 4K disc players, not just premium models, if 4K disc players are to have much chance of getting into more homes.
Pricing might be different in other regions depending on where they are made, shipped to. I generally see players sold in UK/EU more expensive because of duties/taxes.
Old Today, 08:29 PM   #30510
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingHead2000 View Post
Why is The Golden Globes being discussed here. It has nothing to do with the future of physical media. Stop posting this crap, nobody cares about it.
The originating post attempted to use the awards show to support digital content argument. It was weak argument because most film or TV content was restricted to that format as theaters were mostly closed. Also this thread is both digital and physical if you look at the title. Most serious home theaters owners are using whatever they can given the ongoing situation.
Old Today, 08:42 PM   #30511
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Pricing might be different in other regions depending on where they are made, shipped to. I generally see players sold in UK/EU more expensive because of duties/taxes.
Differences in duties and taxes are not going to make these players even remotely affordable. They are premium models designed for those who already appreciate what 4K discs have to offer.
Old Today, 08:47 PM   #30512
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Difference in duties and taxes are not going to make these players even remotely affordable. They are premium models designed for those who already appreciate what 4K discs have to offer.
Personally they are over priced. I think premium players can be sold for a lot less. Pioneer was a bad example of what they could get away with. If you only make only a few thousand costs are higher, but start mass selling them then their pricing is excessive.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (Today)
Old Today, 08:51 PM   #30513
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Personally they are over priced. I think premium players can be sold for a lot less. Pioneer was a bad example of what they could get away with.
I agree; overpriced 4K disc players do very little to help this format. As soon as I mention the price of these new Reavon 4K disc players, the people that I know outside of these forums stop listening on the spot and they start laughing instead. There is nothing that I can tell them that makes spending nearly $1000 on a 4K disc player sound sane.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology