Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$15.95

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$17.26

Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack (Wii U)
$17.88

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Jun 2012
Default Future New Wii U Owner Questions

Please forgive me ahead of time as I am new to this Wii U experience. My son has been hanging out at his buddies house playing the original Wii and since his birthday is coming up, he told me he wants a Wii also.

Well, I refuse to buy a regular Wii or Wii mini since the Wii U is out. So I plan on buying the Wii U for him. It stinks that I missed out on the Mario Kart 8 edition and the Best Buy bundle sale.

Since I am new to the whole Nintendo ecosystem, I do have a couple questions that I hope I won't get roasted for.
  • My son wants to play Mario Super Sluggers and Carnival games from the orginal Wii. Do I need to buy the Wiimote and nunchuks for that?
  • What are the must have accessories to buy?
  • My TV is hanging on the wall connected to receiver and other equipment in the adjoining room. Do the Wiimotes and Gamepad need line of sight to the console to work?
  • Does anybody have any experience with a wireless sensor bar? Any recommendations? Do the Wiimotes need the sensor bar to function?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid ate View Post
Please forgive me ahead of time as I am new to this Wii U experience. My son has been hanging out at his buddies house playing the original Wii and since his birthday is coming up, he told me he wants a Wii also.

Well, I refuse to buy a regular Wii or Wii mini since the Wii U is out. So I plan on buying the Wii U for him. It stinks that I missed out on the Mario Kart 8 edition and the Best Buy bundle sale.

Since I am new to the whole Nintendo ecosystem, I do have a couple questions that I hope I won't get roasted for.
  • My son wants to play Mario Super Sluggers and Carnival games from the orginal Wii. Do I need to buy the Wiimote and nunchuks for that?
  • What are the must have accessories to buy?
  • My TV is hanging on the wall connected to receiver and other equipment in the adjoining room. Do the Wiimotes and Gamepad need line of sight to the console to work?
  • Does anybody have any experience with a wireless sensor bar? Any recommendations? Do the Wiimotes need the sensor bar to function?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
There are other bundles still available, and there might be one for Smash Bros. should you choose to wait for that.

You should buy a Wiimote+/nunchuk anyway as well as a Pro controller as they're better for some games than the gamepad; also, Nintendo's systems are very local co-op friendly, so having more controllers around is not a bad thing.

The Wiimote needs a line of sight to the sensor bar, not the console itself. As long as you can do something with the sensor bar to keep it just below or just above the TV, you'll be fine; its cord from the console is pretty long, but I'm not sure to another room is doable. However, you can buy a third-party extension cable; I have no idea how well the wireless ones work. The gamepad does not use the sensor bar, and in fact, has a sensor bar on it. If you do decide to get multiple Wiimote+s, you should buy a charge station for them.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #3

Jun 2012

Thanks, I'll buy the Wiimotes.....strangely, it is very difficult to find a pro controller.

Anybody have experience with a wireless sensor bar?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U