Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$15.95

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$17.26

Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack (Wii U)
$17.88

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Default IMO this is what Nintendo should do...

If the day comes that Nintendo concedes defeat with the Wii-U and decides to go back to the drawing board, what I think Nintendo should do is find a way to combine the hand held and console markets into one product. They could make a powerful hand held that would appease the on the go Japanese market, yet it could come with an HDMI connected docking station and a separate controller so you can play games at home on your big TV with no graphic degradation. IMO that would be Nintendo's best solution instead of simply trying to go toe to toe with Sony and MS in the home console race. Let Nintendo create their own market, much like they did with Wii.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2009
California

Thankfully, you don't work for Nintendo. How would that help anything? So scrap their highly successful 3DS handheld and make a new console that can be played both on-the-go and on your TV? The main problem with the Wii U is confusion from the consumer's perspective, how is that going to make things any less confusing?

Nintendo still has more units in gamer's hands than the XBox One, and that's before the release of serious hardware sellers like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.. People too quickly right off Nintendo. The 3DS was thought to be a complete failure, now it's keeping up with sales of the PS4 on a global level.

Nintendo has been there since the beginning, they helped make this market the way we know it now. They won't be giving up anytime soon.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I almost bought a spare Wii U today cuz I saw the Limited Edition Zelda Console.

I'm a n00b to 3DS, just got it last week, but wow! Any doubts I had about their future success went moot as soon as I turned it on.

Between the Wii, Wii U & DS's, Nintendo IMO has dominated gaming innovation. PS4 & Xbox One are great too but are far behind Nintendo. Will see what happens in the later part of this Gen's run but if I had to put money down on 1 successor, it be Nintendo.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

Google Nintendo Fusion. Or look at the thread. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=235470. That is what Nintendo is going for.

Nintendo's next device(s) is(are) still years (4-5) away from happening though, and there is no way the Nintendo's current board gives up on the Wii U either. If Satoru Iwata is voted out later this year, then you might see a change there... but I wouldn't hold your breath since Nintendo rarely gives into investors demands.

And Nintendo is not in the gloom state that the North American outlets report. Nintendo has over $11,000,000,000 in available funds... that is including all of their debit. With cash like that, Nintendo isn't go anywhere, or not doing what Nintendo wants to do, for a very long time.

Last edited by RaijinUT; 04-07-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Between the Wii, Wii U & DS's, Nintendo IMO has dominated gaming innovation. PS4 & Xbox One are great too but are far behind Nintendo. Will see what happens in the later part of this Gen's run but if I had to put money down on 1 successor, it be Nintendo.
In many ways, I agree.

Honestly, despite criticism and the lackluster sales, I absolutely love the Wii U. No, I wouldn't want it to be my only console (I also have a PS4, in addition to the PS3, 360, original Wii, and many, many other past consoles), but I wouldn't want to be without it either.

I actually like the Wii U more so than the original Wii (not that it was a bad system or anything). The tablet controller is an awesome innovation. I've seen a lot of comments from people who've never used it who seem to focus on it as a second screen function and criticize how they don't want that kind of a feature (which I have mixed feelings on myself).

But honestly, I think a lot of people don't realize what a great option off-TV play is. That's what I LOVE about this controller and this system. Don't get me wrong, it is optimal to play the games on an HDTV. But honestly having the option to just play right off the pad is very, very convenient. Frankly most of the time when I play a portable gaming system like the 3DS, PSP, or PSVita, it's at home in a chair, on the couch, or while lying in bed. Sure, I take them with me on the go from time to time, but most of the time I'm playing them at home.

It's nice if my wife is watching something on TV, or even if we are watching something together (especially if it's a movie that I've seen before or something), I can also play a full console game at the same time. Honestly I find this to be a MUCH better way of watching TV and playing a game than the Xbone's solution of putting the show really small in the corner of the screen. The problem with the Xbox One's entire concept of it being this all in one central entertainment device is that it requires everyone in the household to be on board with it. It really feels geared around people who are single or at least alone when using it (especially with a lot of "harcore" competitive games these days lacking any kind of local multiplayer option, being completely built around online multiplayer). By contrast, the Wii U is great to play a game without disrupting what everyone else is doing, especially if they aren't as into gaming as you.

The beauty part is that the Wii U doesn't even need to be hooked to a TV to function and play off of the pad. While it sucks that you have to be within a certain range of the system, it's nice that the system can be plugged into any wall outlet without having to be connected to anything else to work. It makes it relatively portable. A nice option if you want to be able to take a system with you on vacation or something.

Admittedly, I'm not as big of a fan in general of the concept of having to focus both on the TV screen and the second screen on the pad to play a game... especially anything that is fast paced. But more often than not for games that utilize it, it's an option and not a requirement (in some cases what's on the TV screen is just duplicated on the pad). Where I have found it really handy is in the Toy Box on Disney Infinity. When customizing your Toy Box world, there is a setting to have the customizable options appear on the pad instead of on the TV screen. Since this is not something that requires fast reflexes, it's perfect for this function. But I still prefer the pad overall for off-TV play.

I actually got the PSVita to go with my PS4 mainly for the similar off-TV play feature. It works pretty good, but no where near as good as the Wii U pad. Granted, they (the PS4 and Vita) weren't designed from the ground up together for that specific function, but it's still a little disappointing by comparison. Some improvements to that function have occurred with recent updates, but I don't think it will ever achieve what the Wii U has in that respect.

That said, while I got the PS4 and Vita in a short time of each other and have played both quite a bit, I still find myself playing the Wii U a lot more. But that is in part because a lot of good games are coming out for the Wii U now, while as is the case with most consoles post launch, the PS4 (and even though I don't have it, the Xbone) are both kind of lacking in games right now... at least any that I have any interest in playing.

I do think that Nintendo missed the mark in a few areas. And I'm not talking about the usual criticisms of the system being under powered compared to the PS4 and Xbone, or even the marketing confusion over whether it's a new system or an add-on to the original Wii.

I think it's great that the system can work with the Wii remotes and for any Wii owners, doesn't require 100% purchasing all new peripherals. But at the same time, it seems a bit hindered in this respect. As awesome as the touch screen pad is, given Nintendo's family oriented approach, including their focus (particularly with the original Wii) on local multiplayer, the system using only one touch screen pad, which is always on no matter what when the system is on, is a bit confusing.

As much as I love the pad, there should be an option to be able to run the system with a Wii remote or Classic Controller Pro and not even need the tablet controller. Taking New Super Mario U (and New Super Luigi U), when having multiple players, none of the actual players uses the tablet controller. They all use Wii remotes and someone else can use the tablet controller to put platforms in the levels, etc. If no one wants to be the person putting platforms up, then the tablet controller should be able to be turned off during this.

On the flip side of that coin, it should also work with multiple tablet controllers. Imagine playing 4 player Mario Kart 8 with each player having their own tablet controller with their own screen view, rather than a split screen on the TV. That would be awesome! I'm sure it would be somewhat cost prohibitive since I believe the controller is about $100-$150 of the Wii U's asking price. But still, in today's world where standard gaming controllers are costing $50-$60 anyway (in some cases with battery packs that need to be bought separately), $100 or a bit more for one with a touch screen is not unreasonable. I could see a lot of people shelling out for at least a second one.

The Wii U is a great, underrated system. I hope it's fortunes pick up over time.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Great points about portability.

It's a feature I haven't tried yet but one I can definitely see myself using in the future.

The range thing is why I haven't tried yet. It wouldn't be too much hassle but I'd also have to move the external hard drive along with the system.

I believe you are all about physical media Dynamo of Eternia correct? I have over 60 games on my external HDD which accounts mostly for VC of course. Not a big deal I guess to move that when time comes. Anyway point is I think its a feature few have taken into account or even used because when you think about home consoles, you don't really think about taking the controller "only" to play your games.

I've swapped games from tv to gamepad just to see how the graphics hold up. IMO very well.

Another huge plus which people who have not even tried Wii U is the fact that this giant controller weighs roughly the same as a PS4 controller.

I'm still waiting for my 3DS "controller like" accessory by mail. So far the only negative I find with XL is its square shape which doesn't fit well in my hands.

I walked out of a store showing a MK8 Demo today.

Holy crap! This game is worth the wait & then some!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzsoad View Post
Thankfully, you don't work for Nintendo. How would that help anything? So scrap their highly successful 3DS handheld and make a new console that can be played both on-the-go and on your TV? The main problem with the Wii U is confusion from the consumer's perspective, how is that going to make things any less confusing?

Nintendo still has more units in gamer's hands than the XBox One, and that's before the release of serious hardware sellers like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.. People too quickly right off Nintendo. The 3DS was thought to be a complete failure, now it's keeping up with sales of the PS4 on a global level.

Nintendo has been there since the beginning, they helped make this market the way we know it now. They won't be giving up anytime soon.
You know, you can debate the topic without being a complete dick head about it.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2012

I haven't bought a WiiU yet, because like the Wii I'm waiting for Super Smash Bros. to come out before I purchase it.

I haven't played a Nintendo franchise solo character game in quite many years probably Gamecube. Smash Bros is always a must buy for me...

I have the feeling I'm one of millions who feel the same way too.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Special Member

Dec 2008
Chamber Of Secrets

This would be my strategy if I was Nintendo president:
1. Keep the Wii U and believe in it.
2. Boost the Virtual Console games, it seems neglected on Wii U
3. Sticker System, apply this to new and previous Wii U games and it would reflect the trophy system with a gamer level
4. Go after the right 3rd parties, ignore COD
5. LEGO+Nintendo, work with LEGO to make exclusive title for Wii U and 3DS that would have characters from all of our favorite Nintendo games
6. Animal Crossing Wii U, personally one of my favorite franchises so I feel it should be on Wii U
7. Shell out the dough, try anything to get Minecraft
8. Amiibo will be a thing, have to make it useful
9. Mario Kart DLC, new tracks and characters would keep people coming back

If I think of more ideas Ill post them
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Whatever Nintendo does is of no concern of mine until they stop region-locking their games.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
If the day comes that Nintendo concedes defeat with the Wii-U and decides to go back to the drawing board, what I think Nintendo should do is find a way to combine the hand held and console markets into one product. They could make a powerful hand held that would appease the on the go Japanese market, yet it could come with an HDMI connected docking station and a separate controller so you can play games at home on your big TV with no graphic degradation. IMO that would be Nintendo's best solution instead of simply trying to go toe to toe with Sony and MS in the home console race. Let Nintendo create their own market, much like they did with Wii.
So basically they could create a Vita/Playstation TV

Nintendo won't compete with Sony and Microsoft in the console market. They got lucky with a fad in the Wii that appealed to a lot of non-gamers and even that fad had fizzled before the Wii U. Now they are back to the reality of being irrelevant just like they were with the abysmal Gamecube sales. They should just give up and stick to handhelds. And even then that is a market that is losing ground to mobile phones which is why the 3DS is not putting up DS numbers.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
So basically they could create a Vita/Playstation TV

Nintendo won't compete with Sony and Microsoft in the console market. They got lucky with a fad in the Wii that appealed to a lot of non-gamers and even that fad had fizzled before the Wii U. Now they are back to the reality of being irrelevant just like they were with the abysmal Gamecube sales. They should just give up and stick to handhelds. And even then that is a market that is losing ground to mobile phones which is why the 3DS is not putting up DS numbers.
the xbox also had abysmal sales and Microsoft turn that around with the 360. so anything is possible.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Kentucky

Stop making consoles and just focus on making games for MS and Sony. Super Smash Brothers on the PS4 and One? Metroid? Zelda, for those who like it, running 60 fps and 1080p? That is what Nintendo should do.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U