Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$15.95

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$17.26

Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack (Wii U)
$18.57

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #21
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Columbus, Ohio

"proprietary high-density optical discs" leads me to believe they'll be "blu-ray discs but the system won't play blu-ray films".

Same way the original Wii used DVDs but you couldn't play DVD film on the thing without applying a few hacks
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwest View Post
OMFG!

[URL="http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/"]
:O
That's neat that it has a super computer lineage. The most I've done is just look at the pics posted here - no price point yet? I think the Ipad design is going to bring in the casual gamer. Nintendo isn't going to just drop the casual market that they've completely cornered this gen. I can't wait till this thing gets rolling with actual games and not just demos.

I'm 100% just looking at it now though, the credit card is still in the wallet!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
Special Member

May 2008

So is there a limit in how far you can go to use the controller to play a game??

Like could I go to my bathroom and play??
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allforce View Post
No problem. Here's a pic of this thing being used so you can get a sense of scale. It's the XBox Duke Reborn!

[Show spoiler]

How excessive. Just give me a regular controller. I don't need not want this beheomth to play games especially Super Mario Bros sidescroller.

At least the Wii controller was simplistic and could be held like an NES controller for certain games.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

I was watching the live stream and the bird and fish video that Reggie presented looked really nice from what I could tell.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

But the name?! Wii U?!

That's what they came up with? Reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where home designs and names a car...

Very disappointing that we good no games, pricing or even specs!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
I like the design of the system and controller and will definitely be getting one in the future. Here is what the console looks like. Didn't see much of the conference but weird they only showed the controller and not the actual console.

Not showing the system itself makes me think that the pic of the system is an early design similar to when the silver PS3s with the boomerang controllers were shown before the actual final product.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #29
Banned

Feb 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to linkgx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluballs31 View Post
So is there a limit in how far you can go to use the controller to play a game??

Like could I go to my bathroom and play??
I was hoping I could carry it anywhere. Screw u 3DS!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Something interesting that was mentioned was that Smash Bros. will be released on both Wii U and 3DS and will interact with each other.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

Man what a confusing conference that turned out to be. I was waiting for them to bust out specs, pics, games, pricing, etc. We got nada. I'm really hoping this system turns out to be awesome but the name is aweful. I cannot believe that is what they came up with. Could have atleast named it Wii2 or WiiHD. Nice to see they have the 3rd party developers on board.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

It seems like they may be trying to break back into the hardcore gaming market... but that controller does NOT look like it would be suitable for long sessions or rapidly moving from button to button. It's an interesting concept.... but I fear if they continue this path they will once again be relegated to the casual market. Not that the casual market failed them with the Wii... but I was REALLY hoping for a console that would better service BOTH markets.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #33
Banned

Feb 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to linkgx1

I hope Nintendo has a disclaimer about killing people with the controller. Especially during Call Of Buty.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Wii U...sounds like a sound a robot makes.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #35
Off-Topic King

Jul 2007
Northern California PSN Id: jkwest5

Quote:
Gizmodo - Nintendo Wii U Hands On: An Entirely Different Way to See Things

It looks like the product of a fevered fanboy wetdream. A 6.2-inch touchscreen, surrounded by dual analog sticks and oodles of buttons. Like the portable hardcore gamers wish Nintendo made. But it's the most incredible controller ever.
I'm completely immersed in my own tiny world with the Wii U controller, staring into the screen, moving my arms and entire body to track two tiny people, scurrying around below my hovercraft. They're a Nintendo rep and Kotaku's Stephen Totilo, whose eyes are glued to the TV next to us, trying to shoot down the enemy ship in the sky (me). My entire game takes place on the Wii U's controller, almost as if I'm playing not just an entirely different game, but an entirely different console. I move the aircraft with the twin analog sticks, forward, back, left, right. But to aim, I have to move the entire controller and my body with it, as if I'm surrounded by an entire world that can only be peeked at through the Wii U controller's screen. It's both profoundly connected and weirdly alienating. I'm not just the enemy for these players united on one screen, I'm in an entirely different space.

The controller is light. Not in a way that's like, "Oh, I'm glad it's not too heavy," but more "this feels like a plastic mockup." It's almost unbelievable there's a working touchscreen and full wireless powers inside. The lightness is what makes it work though, what makes this massive controller feel incredibly comfortable and totally natural. The ergonomics are nigh perfect.

Super Mario Brothers Mii is up on the TV. And it's on my controller. Mario jumps, on the controller and on the TV, simultaneously. It's the same game, in two different places. Watching the game on the controller, it feels like I'm playing a very large DS. Up on the TV, it's like I'm playing Nintendo's latest console release. It sounds useless, until I realized I could watch whatever really important thing is on TV while continuing to play my game on the controller. Or even turn the TV off. Gaming can come back to the bedroom.

The quality of the touchscreen, compared to nearly any reasonably high-end current-generation smartphone, is mediocre. The viewing angle's pretty narrow, for one. You need to be almost dead center to see what's happening (but maybe that's a feature, for versus mode?). It's not especially bright, either. And it's sort of glare-y. Nintendo's not talking specific screen specs like resolution, because this is technically a prototype—so a lot of things could change and get better—but the pixel density is just okay. It's standard Nintendo hardware quality, in other words. Just good enough. Like, I totally didn't mind playing Super Mario Bros. Mii using the controller as my sole display. But iPad or PS Vita, it is not. It was just like playing it on a much bigger DS screen, instead of my TV. There's a stylus, which I didn't get to use. But it's a standard piece of plastic, so there's no multitouch. Which is sort of heartbreaking, insofar as it imposes at least some limits on what this controller is capable of.

The Wii U is the first Nintendo console whose games are visually on the level with the Xbox 360 and PS3 (or at least close to it). That's important. And nice. The Legend of Zelda in full HD? Yes please. The Wii U, in just catching up to the consoles that came before it, and using a mid-quality touchscreen for the controller, showcases one of Nintendo's greatest talents: Taking "good enough" technology and packaging it in a way that's super simple but deeply impactful and innovative. (There's another technology company that's spectacular at this.)

I'm being chased, again. And again, my predators are sharing the TV, pooling their visual resources to track me. They need to catch me in 2 minutes and 30 seconds. That's it. Down on my controller, I've got an unfair advantage-a combined map/radar, that shows me where everybody is. It's kind of like top-down Pac-Man. But I've also got a screen showing a closeup of my character, so I can see my immediate surroundings. I never take my eyes off the controller. And I win.

That's something no controller's ever offered before: The possibility of entirely different viewpoint, the ability to see something in a game that no one else sees, to engage different players in completely different ways. A screen is by definition a blank canvas, a place that be inscribed with anything. Which means there's basically limitless potential in the Wii U and its controller, just waiting to be exploited. Developers can use that space for whatever they want, whether it's an alternative view or secondary action to the main game, extra info, a straight-up mirror, or anything else they can think of that'll take advantage of the fact they now have another window to show players whatever they want, completely independent of the TV. And that's not even considering the wealth of sensors onboard, like the mic and gyro, and what they'll allow the control to accomplish in concert with everything else.

We haven't even seen the beginning of what this thing is capable of, but one thing's clear today: It works, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.
great intro article with a video in the link..
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #36

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
But the name?! Wii U?!

That's what they came up with? Reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where home designs and names a car...

Very disappointing that we good no games, pricing or even specs!
They honestly should have just called it the Wii 2. I was expecting something different then this.

I have absolutley no plans on getting this machine. Nintendo lost me as a customer after the N64.

Not sure how the hell they are going to capture back the hardcore gamers with this machine. I'm sure the next XBOX or PS4 will be a LOT more enticing to the hardcore market.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Texas

Nintendo focused so much on the controller that I thought that was the actual console. I don't believe they even showed the console on the big screen.

Controller design is cool but it seems to bulky for the console player (especially shooters). To me basically Nintendo said "lets combine our Wii and NDS and pass it off as a new console".

Oh, and a silly name. If you want to keep the Wii name then call it a Super Wii.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

The controller is obviously not flat on the bottom, so how is it suppose to lay flat on the floor to play the golf game they showed @ the conference or the mini game of backgammon which used the gyro sensor when the board is tilted to clear it. It would need to be flat on the table would it not?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

ZERO ergonomics in that behemoth equals a big FAIL as far as I'm concerned. No one is going to want to hold that thing for very long.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #40
Off-Topic King

Jul 2007
Northern California PSN Id: jkwest5

apparently, the controller is super light...almost weirdly light..
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U