Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$15.95

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$17.26

Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack (Wii U)
$18.57

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #41

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfury82 View Post
Nintendo focused so much on the controller that I thought that was the actual console. I don't believe they even showed the console on the big screen.

Controller design is cool but it seems to bulky for the console player (especially shooters). To me basically Nintendo said "lets combine our Wii and NDS and pass it off as a new console".

Oh, and a silly name. If you want to keep the Wii name then call it a Super Wii.
Exactly, they should have called it the Super Wii or just Wii 2, either one would have been much better than Wii U.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007

That was such a confusing presentation.

All Nintendo had to say was, "We would like to announce our new console. The Wii-U. It will be the Wii successor. And it is capable of HD gaming. However, we cannot say much else on the system at this time. But what we can do is talk about the controller and what it is capable of." DONE. That was all they had to say to make things clear.

But no, instead they go and hype over the controller and talking about it like the controller itself IS the next console. Haha!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

I buy every system and I like Nintendo, but I don't like the idea of a 3rd system for multiplat games. I might wait for a price drop or a spectacular Metroid game (NOT a sequel to Other M - Yeeggh!) I'm skeptical of the controller, as it looks too big for comfort (I lay down sometimes when I play games) - Guess we'll just have to see!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #44
Expert Member

Apr 2011
UK

Sorry if already posted, I did look but didn't see it..

Here are some more clips of other demos, the first one I like as it can be played with up too 5 people..

To be honest I'm actually looking forward to this. I can buy the console and not need to buy any new remotes, will balance board or steering wheels as they will all work with the new device, plus its backwards compatible with older games.

It would be great to be in the same room as my OH while he is watching F1, and still being able to play on the Wii, it might be a bit of a gimmick to some, but I am quite liking it, then again I am a big Nintendo/Wii fan which helps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluballs31 View Post
So is there a limit in how far you can go to use the controller to play a game??

Like could I go to my bathroom and play??

I was wondering this, cause if I could do say for example Wii Fit in the other room, with the balance board that would be great, no need to buy another machine for another room.

If the answer was yes could they loose money from this? Only reason I say that is that I know people who have more then one PS3 or Xbox cause they have them in other rooms of the house/flat. If this can be used else where in the hose with the main Wii U not ever having to leave the living-room, then people wouldn't have to ever invest in extra Wiis

Last edited by zebredy; 06-08-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #45

Jul 2010
Glenroy Australia
Australia

Personnally I think its amazing, and was not hopefull at that I was going to like it before E3. I currently have a PS3 as well but still prefer the Wii controllers, even over PS3 move (pain in the but callibration all the time).

While I admit it does look a little like the XBOX (but no RR of death ), its about the same size as the Wiii and the smallest out of all the other consoles.

Its also faster than the PS3 from all the indications Ive read.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #46
Expert Member

Apr 2011
UK

I'd rather they made the Wii U as good as possible before it came to the market, but really was hoping this would be out by Christmas this year...
Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #47

Jul 2010
Glenroy Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Generation View Post

But no, instead they go and hype over the controller and talking about it like the controller itself IS the next console. Haha!
Blu-Generation goes GA GA in 2014 when Sony copies Nintendo again and release PS "screen" controller.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allforce View Post
"proprietary high-density optical discs" leads me to believe they'll be "blu-ray discs but the system won't play blu-ray films".
It is possible for Nintendo to create a 'proprietary high-density optical disc' without infringing or licensing Blu-ray media. One of Nintendo's chief game designers, Katsuya Eguchi, confirmed in an interview with Kotaku that the disc will hold up to 25GB of data.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

I won't be surprised that 1st gen 3rd party titles are ho-hum at best (since they are more then likely be ports of the 360/ps3 versions).
Also, i hope it doesn't only launch in white.

Last edited by Wingman1977; 06-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #50

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluballs31 View Post
So is there a limit in how far you can go to use the controller to play a game??

Like could I go to my bathroom and play??
I'm guessing you can go as far as your WiFi will allow.

Doug
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #51

Jul 2010
Glenroy Australia
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I'm guessing you can go as far as your WiFi will allow.

Doug
No. This was confirmed in an interview with reggie.
The Wii U controler uses both RF (for the video) and bluetooth for the control functions. The limiting factor is the blutooth, so most likely wont work too far away from the console.
The controller is not linked to the WiFi, only the console.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #52

Jul 2010
Glenroy Australia
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
I won't be surprised that 1st gen 3rd party titles are ho-hum at best (since they are more then likely be ports of the 360/ps3 versions).
Also, i hope it doesn't only launch in white.
As its the most powerful system (by how much is unknown) and will be 1080p (confirmed) and most PS3 and XBOX 360 games are 720P, i can only see them being ho-hum if the other versions are. 3D is an unknown, its not been mentioned.

Iawata has mentioned the price will most likely be more than $250 USD, so I would imagine around $300.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcnguy View Post
Blu-Generation goes GA GA in 2014 when Sony copies Nintendo again and release PS "screen" controller.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I have nothing agains't Wii U or its controller. All I'm saying was that the conference was a bit confusing. Cause they only talked about a controller to a system without appearance. It was kinda strange. And how did you know I'm a Sony fan?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #54

Jul 2009

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I have nothing agains't Wii U or its controller. All I'm saying was that the conference was a bit confusing. Cause they only talked about a controller to a system without appearance. It was kinda strange. And how did you know I'm a Sony fan?
Does the appearance of the console really matter?

Doug
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

I've got to say, after reviewing this thread pretty thoroughly (I've gotten all my E3 info from this thread so I don't know much else about the show at this point), I went from "holy cow what's up with that controller?" to "wow, that controller looks really cool" to "yeah, that controller is awesome!" and now I want this system pretty badly. I care not about whether the new Wii will play Blu-ray movies; I have Blu-ray players for that. The concept of playing the game that's inserted in the console on the screen of your controller is pretty wild, and I'm totally into that. Plus there are so many other directions you can go with this controller and its technology. I think back to my Mario Kart 64 days when we would play battle mode for hours. I would always know where everyone else was because I was pretty good at watching their screens and planning my attack. With the controller like this, strategies for games like that will totally change.

This post is the one that got me truly excited for the new Wii:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwest View Post
great intro article with a video in the link..
Thanks, jkwest.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
Does the appearance of the console really matter?

Doug
Seriously. Is my post that confusing? All I'm saying is that the presentation was confusing. And I explained why. I have nothing agains't Wii U.

Nothing.

I am not confuse anymore by the Wii U. But there are some who still do. Some are hyping it up like all you need is the controller. Some don't even know an actual console exist. Some even think Wii U is just a peripheral for the Wii.

Of course what they lack is research. However, Nintendo played a role in the confusion, with their presentation. I'm not alone in thinking this.

Last edited by Blu-Generation; 06-10-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Seriously. Is my post that confusing? All I'm saying is that the presentation was confusing. And I explained why. I have nothing agains't Wii U.

Nothing.

I am not confuse anymore by the Wii U. But there are some who still do. Some are hyping it up like all you need is the controller. Some don't even know an actual console exist. Some even think Wii U is just a peripheral for the Wii.

Of course what they lack is research. However, Nintendo played a role in the confusion, with their presentation. I'm not alone in thinking this.
Nintendo also screwed up by naming it the Wii U. It does sound like an add on for the Wii.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #58

Jul 2009

Quote:

Nothing.

Understood. Thanks. I'm guessing they didn't provide many details in the presentation because:
1) some details are still to be worked out; and/or
2) they're floating some vague features to us and fishing for feedback, and will then decide on specifics.

Doug
Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #59
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
I think back to my Mario Kart 64 days when we would play battle mode for hours. I would always know where everyone else was because I was pretty good at watching their screens and planning my attack. With the controller like this, strategies for games like that will totally change.
The trouble with this is, at the moment, they're only supporting one tablet-controller so only that player would have their privacy.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin-Ra View Post
The trouble with this is, at the moment, they're only supporting one tablet-controller so only that player would have their privacy.
Which in a way is kinda cheating. You see what others don't. Despite playing the same game.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U