Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$15.95

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$17.26

Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack (Wii U)
$17.88

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Talking Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

So, I finally broke down and ordered a Wii U (eBay had a one day sale). The game that made me want one was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I loved what Retro Studios did to update the Metroid series (my favorite video game franchise) so I was excited to hear they were taking over the Donkey Kong Country series. I put off buying DKC: Returns until earlier this year and fell in love with it. I'm reticent to call video games art, but Retro Studios makes me question that position. What I've seen of the sequel, it looks gorgeous graphically, and the clever level design seems to be even more clever.

So, here's the thread to talk about the game. Have you played it? Do you love it? Hate it? Is it too challenging? Is it worth buying a Wii U for? Share your thoughts.

"Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze" Blu-ray.com entry

Last edited by Cat III; 02-01-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

What I loved? That sweet David Wise music.

What I didn't like? The difficulty. Certain boss fights were too long.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
What I loved? That sweet David Wise music.
Yeah, one of the downsides of Returns was the music. It was great, but of course it was mostly variations of the DKC soundtrack. Which reminds me of another thing that looks great about Tropical Freeze, the environments. The scenery in Returns was beautiful, but it was mostly derivative of the original series. It looks like Tropical Freeze is more inventive in that respect. Kind of reminds me of how Metroid Prime 2 allowed Retro to produce a more unique addition to the franchise.

Quote:
What I didn't like? The difficulty. Certain boss fights were too long.
Yeah, Retro likes them some long boss battles. The difficulty was steep in Returns, but overall I thought it made for a more satisfying experience. Hard mode is a bit over the top, though.

I heard that Tropical Freeze allows you to play without motion controls. Is that true? I'd really like that.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post

I heard that Tropical Freeze allows you to play without motion controls. Is that true? I'd really like that.
Yup. I played it with the Gamepad Pro.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009

I hate those rocket barrels levels with a passion
Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuv22 View Post
Same here. I was hoping that those would have been axed after how horrible they were in Returns, but sure enough they were back in full force for Tropical Freeze.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuv22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
Same here. I was hoping that those would have been axed after how horrible they were in Returns, but sure enough they were back in full force for Tropical Freeze.
At first I hated them in Returns, (I didn't beat the bat level until after I'd beat the final boss!) but once I got a handle on the controls, I quite liked them. There was something epic about maneuvering between the teeth of colossal gears or narrowly escaping a collapsing cave. Plus, they were no more difficult on hard mode since they were one-hit deaths anyway.

Quote:
Yup. I played it with the Gamepad Pro.
Sweet! With Returns, I got so used to moving the remote to move faster, that I'd move it when playing old games on the virtual console. Motion controls are great for some games, but are a nuisance when shoehorned in.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

I refused to play Returns with the regular control scheme. Luckily I have a modded Wii and there was a patch that let you remap the waggle controls to buttons. It was glorious.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

My Wii U arrived a few days ago (fast shipping!). I had ordered Tropical Freeze through Amazon, but it hadn't even been shipped yet (damn not having Prime anymore!) so I cancelled the order and picked it up from Wal-Mart the next day.

I've made it to the final boss, though not tried to beat him yet. I still have lots of secret levels, bonuses, etc to find. My thoughts so far: the graphics are gorgeous, or more precisely, the art direction is gorgeous. The Retro team clearly put lots of love into constructing the environments. The standard video game settings of the first game have been replaced with more unique areas that have a greater sense of reality. I bet lots of research was done to make the trees, plants and other background details look authentic.

Gameplay has been tweaked and modified, but sticks to the core setup of the first game. The best improvement has been to the controls. No waggling where it's not needed (unless you want to). The intense difficulty is still there, but it's been softened a bit. Donkey can now withstand two hits while riding on the rocket barrel or in the mine cart, which should make those levels more tolerable for anyone who hated them in Returns. The learning curve is less steep this time around. You won't face huge challenges until later on, when you've been eased into it. The secret levels make a return and are still teeth-grittingly hard.

There's a lot more I have to say, but I'll reserve that for a proper review. In short, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is proof that 90's style platforming has not gone out of style.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Power Member

Apr 2011

I've never been a fan of Donkey Kong platforming games so this was my first go at it and to my surprise, I didn't really like it, the music is bland & forgettable, bonus stages are mostly the same without variety but it turns "off" the GamePad's screen and allows to use different characters for different uses. Makes me wish Donkey Kong platforming games were developed by Japanese devs (same goes for the music).

Maybe sometime in the future I'll get back to DKC:TF but now I'm enjoying the heck outta Bayo 2.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #11

Oct 2009

Whenever I play this game, my Wii U stops working all of the sudden like a blackout, and goes into blinking red light of death mode. It happens at times on MK8 but so far has not happened on other games. Should I send my console to Nintendo?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:38 AM   #12

Aug 2011

I would say so. At least call them.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino-Chan fan View Post
Whenever I play this game, my Wii U stops working all of the sudden like a blackout, and goes into blinking red light of death mode. It happens at times on MK8 but so far has not happened on other games. Should I send my console to Nintendo?
Never had this happen on my Wii U except the one time I was playing Sniper Elite V2 and the game froze the console, but then again, this was a poorly done port for the Wii U.

As for your situation your Wii U might be faulty or something, you'd better check with Nintendo if it's still on warranty.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino-Chan fan View Post
I concur with ps3bd_owner and mannam23, you should contact Nintendo. I haven't had a problem with my Wii U so far. Sounds like you got a defective one. Better to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

So I've finished the game now. There's still secrets to find and hard modes to beat, but I've made it through the main course. I can now say that I've had the Tropical Freeze experience. No surprise, but I give it a high score. If you're a fan of tight, retro platforming, then this is a must-play. There are some flaws. The bonus stages, for example, are repetitive both in design and aesthetics. Returns repeated the same set of five or six bonus stages, but they were at least dressed up differently to reflect the world you were in. The biggest flaw is the lost opportunity to add more animal friends. They were one of the standout elements of the original series so it's disappointing that we're left with only Rambi again. Including Winky, Squitter, Rattly, Enguarde, et al, would have injected some variety, dispelling the feeling of sameness that will no doubt irk some players.

That said, this game is an overall improvement on it's predecessor. The controls, the new characters, the environments, the difficulty. All great. David Wise's score is a real winner. Fans will be happy to hear old favorites and the new ones will stick with you long after playing. Like I said in an earlier comment, expect a full-length review in the near future.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

I'm a fan of more activity in this section of the forum
Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
I'm a fan of more activity in this section of the forum
Me too. It's quiet 'round these parts. Feel free to add any thoughts you have. Appreciate the conversation.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

what was the ebay deal? I'm looking for another one for my godson for xmas. maybe they'll do another one soon.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_RAMS_FAN View Post
what was the ebay deal? I'm looking for another one for my godson for xmas. maybe they'll do another one soon.
I believe it was a six year anniversary sale. It was the 32-bit system with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land for $270. Since I don't want those games, I'll sell them off and cut the price even further. It was a one day sale which is probably why I caved in. With black Friday coming up, I would be surprised if you can't find a deal on eBay or similar website.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post
I believe it was a six year anniversary sale. It was the 32-bit system with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land for $270. Since I don't want those games, I'll sell them off and cut the price even further. It was a one day sale which is probably why I caved in. With black Friday coming up, I would be surprised if you can't find a deal on eBay or similar website.
cool. yea, I'm def. looking for one. ha.. the best buy black friday one isn't the best price. ok price but not what I want to pay.

Toy r us is going to have the skylander bundle for $200 on black friday but man. I went to black Friday opening once and never again. that wouldnt be a bad price. even if its the basic bundle..

Last edited by NJ_RAMS_FAN; 11-14-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

So I scanned the back of the game case and uploaded it to the site's database:

I know this isn't news or anything, but it's an adequate excuse to keep this thread alive.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Tags
donkey kong, platformer, tropical freeze, video game, wii u