Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
14 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
1 day ago
The Phantom of the Opera (Blu-ray)
$13.55
1 day ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #21

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Sorry to say this, but there is absolutely no difference in resolution between "regular" CD and any other type, be it SHM-CD or "Blu-Spec CD". All these are doing is charging a LOT more money to , er, make the damned CD properly in the first place. That is all - however you dress it up the actual audio data is still 16-bit 44.1kHz Red Book.
SHM-CD and SHM-SACD are tricks of marketing, and so-called Blu-Spec is the same but this time trying to make people think the product is related to Blu-ray in some way (although very cleverly not actually claiming this).

If you are hearing any difference at all it is down to one of 2 things:
1 - Better manufactured discs have fewer balance issues in players. The speed these things rotate at is phenomenally fast and a poorly manufactured disc can make a horrendous noise in the transport.
2 - Placebo effect. You expect it to sound "better" so you think it does.

I repeat - the audio data is still red book, and has no increased resolution whatsoever. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I probably should have said "detail" as opposed to resolution, so I stand corrected.

At this point it's all rather moot to me as I've decided to step away from digital and focus exclusively on vinyl.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016

Just ordered 13 Cheap Trick Blu-Spec CD2 , if nothing else they have an incredible amount of bonus track that I have most of . But at least I'm giving it a try because of the tracks features 2017 DSD mastering .
Hope it's worth the $300 spent .
Old 04-11-2021, 12:54 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

I got some of the multichannel Cheap Trick releases and the sound quality wasn't as good as the original. But that may be because of the surround mix.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:37 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
I got some of the multichannel Cheap Trick releases and the sound quality wasn't as good as the original. But that may be because of the surround mix.
Thanks for the info , I have almost every release from around the world so hoping for the best .
Old 04-11-2021, 03:37 AM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Multi-channel music had never appeal to me because I'm not going to be at home sitting in a sweet spot on the couch for hours listening to music in my home theater, as if I'm watching and listening to a movie. If I do play music at home, I don't have to sit still to listen to it, I can hear it all over the house when I doing other things. I didn't do it when I was playing my record albums and CDs! That's why I've never bought into Blu-ray Audio, SACD nor DVD-Audio and beside they're just a very minimum of titles available in those formats, and it's not the genre of music that I listen to. When it comes to my music, 2-channel stereo is perfect for me because I listen to music on the go, when I'm doing things around the house, yard work through my earbuds or via bluetooth in my car when I'm driving.

Last edited by slimdude; 04-12-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

I use music as background music sometimes too. But sometimes I sit down and really listen to it. A great performance in surround is amazing. And if there's video to go with it to project on a big screen, it's like being there. The problem with multichannel is that not everyone has the space in their home for it. When I was finally able to buy a house, the first thing I looked for was a place to build a great theater with a ten foot projection screen and kick ass 5.1. It's completely changed how I listen to music and watch TV. The best money I ever spent.

If you have wide tastes in music, there are a lot of great multichannel recordings, especially classical, opera and classic rock. There's some interesting jazz and electronic music too. The music is skewed to music fans in their mid 40s and up, but that is because that is the demographic that can afford to set up a multichannel system.

Last edited by bigshot; 04-11-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
If you have wide tastes in music, there are a lot of great multichannel recordings, especially classical, opera and classic rock. There's some interesting jazz and electronic music too. The music is skewed to music fans in their mid 40s and up, but that is because that is the demographic that can afford to set up a multichannel system.
The vast majority of the young and middle generation doesn't listen to classical, opera and classic rock and those are predominately the age groups that buy and download music, whether if they have a surround sound system or not. If they did have surround sound, they still wouldn't buy that genre of music. There's nothing wrong with it, but they just don't buy and listen to that kind of music.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Like I say, multichannel isn't marketed for kids. They can't afford the investment in equipment and don't have the space to install it. But kids grow up and their tastes mature and expand, so maybe when they grow up and can afford a good multichannel system... I certainly don't listen to the same music now as I did in high school. They'll probably have broader tastes too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music