Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Avengers - 4 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$31.49
 
Better Call Saul: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
AU$88.61
 
Doctor Who: The Collection - Season 2 (Blu-ray)
AU$55.97
 
Elvis 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$20.98
 
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$29.99
1 day ago
Everything Everywhere All at Once 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$20.98
 
Better Call Saul: Season Six (Blu-ray)
AU$26.98
 
House of the Dragon: Season 1 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$44.99
 
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$33.38
 
Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$25.48
 
Bullet Train 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$25.48
 
Jurassic World: 6 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$79.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #421
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED1977 View Post
Fair point re: my comment on the quality of the local Gentlemen Blu, I probably still wouldn't have purchased it though if there was a 4K version available locally..... which unfortunately there wasn't.

I generally don't care too much about packaging and rating logos etc..... slips are generally a waste of time but I do care when we get lesser versions of the content itself. I probably buy most new releases locally other than in situations like Gentlemen..... the bulk of my buying would be re-releases of older films, remasters, special editions etc which are often more attractive/readily available from the US/UK......I support local releases where I can though, very much looking forward to Umbrellas Uncommon Valor!!!!
I'm starting to see a trend of more and more enthusiasts jumping ship to streaming, particularly for 4K content that's not available on disc, or when the streaming version offers Dolby Vision, and the disc doesn't. Some of these people seem to have no problem abandoning physical media in a heartbeat for this (also for cheaper content from online services), whereas for me it's not always about quality... I'm loyal to physical media, because I have complete control over my collection of discs that I have bought, unlike content sourced from online services. I care about physical media and the perks that it offers over online digital distribution, and if it means that sometimes I am going to have to settle for a 1080p Blu-ray disc, over say 4K Apple TV content, then that's what I am prepared to do... That's me doing my bit to help physical media to stay above water for longer.

Last edited by Cevolution; 05-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alister_M (05-12-2020), BIGRED1977 (05-12-2020), Boccaccio (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #422
PT Ryan PT Ryan is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2010
641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden96 View Post
Disney's press release for The Call of the Wild said DVD only after there were listings for months on Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray.

https://twitter.com/daveleedwnundr/s...819840/photo/1

Underwater releases this week on DVD only after until just recently listing it for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray for months as well.
That's still no proof that they're abandoning those formats. Both of those films were theatrical flops, so there might not be any point spending money on Blu/UHD releases. Or they may be holding off on those releases until retail is properly up and running again. Or there might be a general holding pattern on 20th Century releases until the company further reorganises (lots of jobs across Disney and 20th Century were shed after the merger worldwide). You don't know and I don't know. This entire thread is speculation and nothing else.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Cevolution (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #423
Alister_M Alister_M is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Alister_M's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
246
1682
19
15
5
Default

Underwater isn't even getting a DVD release in NZ now. Must have been a pretty serious flop, even though it looks interesting. Probably because Kristen Stewart has become the new Clive Owen - mysteriously "box office poison" despite a proclivity towards appearing in good movies and being pretty good at acting to boot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:59 PM   #424
Auss1e Auss1e is offline
Active Member
 
May 2019
Melbourne, Australia
52
521
72
3
15
1
3
Default

Just to leave a quick comment about The Gentlemen Blu as I saw that bought up.

I watched it with my Mum for Mothers Day. It's a perfectly fine Blu-Ray. Granted, we didn't watch it on a home theatre set up or anything but it was of a perfectly good quality from what I could tell. Specs on paper don't tell the whole story.

Would I have preferred for it to be on a BD50? Absolutely. Do I think Roadshow need to stop "cheaping out" (for lack of a better phrase) on their non-Warner releases? Definitely. But is the disc bad? Not at all. It's still 5.1 lossless audio. The video is still good. I doubt you'd find anything actually wrong with it unless you went pixel peeping.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
BIGRED1977 (05-12-2020), Cevolution (05-12-2020), kuzronk (05-12-2020), LMFAObros (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 AM   #425
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

So far on here and another Australian forum, I've seen roughly 10 people complain about Underwater not being released here on 4K. Based on most of these peoples comments, they wait for the majority of new release titles to be around the $15-$20 mark before considering purchasing them. $17.50 is the middle of those amounts, $17.50 multiplied by 10 is $175... There is a lot profit there for the distributor, keep those signatures coming boys, you're not far off your target
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alister_M (05-12-2020), PT Ryan (05-12-2020), rightformula1 (05-12-2020), StrayButler91 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:39 AM   #426
Alister_M Alister_M is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Alister_M's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
246
1682
19
15
5
Default

I mean, maybe there'd be some sort of semi-legit complaint to be made if Underwater had a 4K release anywhere else, but it doesn't.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Cevolution (05-12-2020), kuzronk (05-12-2020), StrayButler91 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:40 AM   #427
BIGRED1977 BIGRED1977 is offline
Power Member
 
BIGRED1977's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Blue Mountains NSW
317
974
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I'm starting to see a trend of more and more enthusiasts jumping ship to streaming, particularly for 4K content that's not available on disc, or when the streaming version offers Dolby Vision, and the disc doesn't. Some of these people seem to have no problem abandoning physical media in a heartbeat for this (also for cheaper content from online services), whereas for me it's not always about quality... I'm loyal to physical media, because I have complete control over my collection of discs that I have bought, unlike content sourced from online services. I care about physical media and the perks that it offers over online digital distribution, and if it means that sometimes I am going to have to settle for a 1080p Blu-ray disc, over say 4K Apple TV content, then that's what I am prepared to do... That's me doing my bit to help physical media to stay above water for longer.
Totally agree, I feel the same way about physical media
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alister_M (05-12-2020), Cevolution (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:05 AM   #428
LMFAObros LMFAObros is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
LMFAObros's Avatar
 
Jan 2016
Melbourne, North Korea
260
3436
1
73
10
Default

I think what could be potentially happening is due to the pandemic and 4K discs being made overseas somewhere likely being delayed and having transportation delays and issues, that many 4K releases that were scheduled here pre pandemic have been cancelled or even outright delayed till these supply issues are resolved. This is all speculation and I am not 100% sure this is the case but it might be a reason why a few of our releases are delayed and/or cancelled
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alister_M (05-12-2020), Cevolution (05-12-2020), Mobe1969 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:36 AM   #429
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAObros View Post
I think what could be potentially happening is due to the pandemic and 4K discs being made overseas somewhere likely being delayed and having transportation delays and issues, that many 4K releases that were scheduled here pre pandemic have been cancelled or even outright delayed till these supply issues are resolved. This is all speculation and I am not 100% sure this is the case but it might be a reason why a few of our releases are delayed and/or cancelled
It's good to see when someone realises this point... I've seen a number of comments recently from enthusiasts completely disregarding this, and I wonder where their head is at. One of the worst offenders I've seen is a dude on Whirlpool named Newman, who has continuously been giving Kicks.com.au a hard time during this pandemic (and seems to be trying to convince people not to order with them), because of some of the minor errors that they have made and in his opinion their customer service team is too slow dealing with them. Even with everything going on, he expects A1 customer service, which I think is unreasonable. Based on his comments, I don't think he has ever worked in retail before. To be honest, he comes across as grouchy old c*nt, that just doesn't like the majority of "big evil" retailers in general.

Last edited by Cevolution; 05-12-2020 at 02:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (05-13-2020), PT Ryan (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 04:30 AM   #430
SillyG SillyG is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia
28
184
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAObros View Post
I think what could be potentially happening is due to the pandemic and 4K discs being made overseas somewhere likely being delayed and having transportation delays and issues, that many 4K releases that were scheduled here pre pandemic have been cancelled or even outright delayed till these supply issues are resolved. This is all speculation and I am not 100% sure this is the case but it might be a reason why a few of our releases are delayed and/or cancelled
To top all that off, the crappy state of the Aussie dollar would have undoubtedly contributed to the decision to cancel many local UHD and Blu-ray releases, at least for the foreseeable future.

I had noticed that blank Blu-ray prices had also spiked, but I managed to come across some sensibly priced discs last week and bought a couple of spindles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #431
Brayden96 Brayden96 is offline
Senior Member
 
Apr 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ryan View Post
That's still no proof that they're abandoning those formats. Both of those films were theatrical flops, so there might not be any point spending money on Blu/UHD releases. Or they may be holding off on those releases until retail is properly up and running again. Or there might be a general holding pattern on 20th Century releases until the company further reorganises (lots of jobs across Disney and 20th Century were shed after the merger worldwide). You don't know and I don't know. This entire thread is speculation and nothing else.
Retail has been going great in Australia despite the pandemic. JB and Sanity have remained open without issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #432
koberulz koberulz is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
koberulz's Avatar
 
May 2016
Australia
113
1506
280
13
Default

"Remaining open" and "making as many non-essential sales as usual" are very different things.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #433
Rick Grimes Rick Grimes is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Rick Grimes's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
203
1393
15
Default

Just found out about Underwater. It is a genuine shame. Especially since it is available on BD pretty much everywhere else.
I saw a preview on Foxtel. I would have bought it on BD, but Iím not paying for or watching a PAL SD DVD.

BD is suffering badly here and has been for a while. Streaming has won and DVD is still the preferred format for troglodytes. My in-laws have a $3500 Sony OLED UHD. While I bought them a BD (and converted them), they continue to select SD channels instead of their HD twins. My mother in law says she canít see the difference! As well as the decrease in detail, I can see artefacts, banding and all sorts of shit that others canít. Itís a waste of a very expensive TV I would love to own.

Sadly, with DVD being the physical disc market leader in AU/NZ, and for those who simply stream (and thus miss out on a lot of quality films), they also donít get that quality is paramount (1080p-2160p to lossless-object based audio).

My workmates think Iím nuts buying physical media, but I guess unless you are a cinephile, people just donít get it. I try to explain my set-up, but their happy to watch shit on their laptops, if they donít have set-ups that send pics to their TV.
They have no clue when I talk about DTS-HD, Atmos etc. and when I explain my surround sound set-up, it falls on deaf ears. I used to talk about ďTrue CinemaĒ, 24fps on BD vs. PAL speed-up on DVD, which was too technical and only a handful of people recognised the shift in pitch and tempo of music on DVD.

While at least BD beat DVD in the US before streaming won out, the proles down under never took up BD, and now, we are all suffering the consequences.
At least we can still import from the US. I am so f*cking glad I own a Region A player, Ďcos I am positive we are going to see much less on BD than our yankee allies will get across the Pacific.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #434
PT Ryan PT Ryan is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2010
641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden96 View Post
Retail has been going great in Australia despite the pandemic. JB and Sanity have remained open without issue.
My point remains that you don’t know about their reasons for not doing these titles on Blu and 4K anymore than I do. You’ve made an assertion that they’re no longer doing HD and UHD physical media releases with nothing to substantiate that claim.

Last edited by PT Ryan; 05-12-2020 at 10:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #435
PT Ryan PT Ryan is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2010
641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Just found out about Underwater. It is a genuine shame. Especially since it is available on BD pretty much everywhere else.
I saw a preview on Foxtel. I would have bought it on BD, but Iím not paying for or watching a PAL SD DVD.

BD is suffering badly here and has been for a while. Streaming has won and DVD is still the preferred format for troglodytes. My in-laws have a $3500 Sony OLED UHD. While I bought them a BD (and converted them), they continue to select SD channels instead of their HD twins. My mother in law says she canít see the difference! As well as the decrease in detail, I can see artefacts, banding and all sorts of shit that others canít. Itís a waste of a very expensive TV I would love to own.

Sadly, with DVD being the physical disc market leader in AU/NZ, and for those who simply stream (and thus miss out on a lot of quality films), they also donít get that quality is paramount (1080p-2160p to lossless-object based audio).

My workmates think Iím nuts buying physical media, but I guess unless you are a cinephile, people just donít get it. I try to explain my set-up, but their happy to watch shit on their laptops, if they donít have set-ups that send pics to their TV.
They have no clue when I talk about DTS-HD, Atmos etc. and when I explain my surround sound set-up, it falls on deaf ears. I used to talk about ďTrue CinemaĒ, 24fps on BD vs. PAL speed-up on DVD, which was too technical and only a handful of people recognised the shift in pitch and tempo of music on DVD.

While at least BD beat DVD in the US before streaming won out, the proles down under never took up BD, and now, we are all suffering the consequences.
At least we can still import from the US. I am so f*cking glad I own a Region A player, Ďcos I am positive we are going to see much less on BD than our yankee allies will get across the Pacific.
I donít blame them, personally. In the last twenty years weíve gone from VHS to DVD to Blu-Ray to UHD, and the last two of those were within a decade. Thatís a lot of technical change for many people to keep up with, both financially and in terms of understanding how to get the best out each format. People resent feeling like they have to repurchase films they already own just to keep up with new formats. And yes, the technical stuff is overwhelming for a lot of people.

I adopted Blu-Ray, and have a large-ish collection, but if a film is available in a comparable edition on iTunes or Google Play, Iíll buy it to help keep my shelf space in check. While I *may* buy a 4K TV, I donít see myself adopting yet another disc format, and will likely just stick with my iTunes library for UHD titles. I appreciate why surround sound is a thing, but Iíve never had any interest in buying a speaker setup, because itís just not a meaningful part of the film watching experience for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 PM   #436
L-Rouge L-Rouge is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
L-Rouge's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
south
4
246
Default

Heck, that is a big submission to market. Do we have a link to read about this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:09 PM   #437
Alister_M Alister_M is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Alister_M's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
246
1682
19
15
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ryan View Post
I donít blame them, personally. In the last twenty years weíve gone from VHS to DVD to Blu-Ray to UHD, and the last two of those were within a decade. Thatís a lot of technical change for many people to keep up with, both financially and in terms of understanding how to get the best out each format. People resent feeling like they have to repurchase films they already own just to keep up with new formats. And yes, the technical stuff is overwhelming for a lot of people.
Gotta say, the transition to 4K was far more annoying than any previous one. Thought I had a faulty TV for a couple of weeks before I figured out how many settings had to be changed to stop it from making my audio system cut out while the TV was switched off, and having to adjust the HDMI settings to stop the TV from going into protection mode. Gear is becoming too complicated for its own good these days, no wonder people are going for the simplest available option
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
L.J. (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #438
Rick Grimes Rick Grimes is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Rick Grimes's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
203
1393
15
Default

The adoption of DVD was forced, when between 2003-2005, studios stopped releasing films on VHS, forcing many to adopt DVD (Attack of the Clones was on VHS, Revenge of the Sith was not).

If in circa 2012-2013 (four to five years after BDís intro), studios did the same with BD, and stopped releasing films on DVD, people would have had to adopt the new medium, or be content to pirate film and TV.

Blu-Rayís marketing strategy was executed very badly in Australia.
The US, Germany and to a lesser extent, the UK, have had more adopters of Blu-Ray... Especially the US, where market share of BD is more than DVD (or at least 50/50).
In AU/NZ, itís not even close. Iím guessing BD has a 15-20% share of the physical media market, at most.
The only reason I can see us being any different from the US, from a market perspective, is that Australianís generally donít give a shit about quality and piracy was rampant. The proles couldnít care less about having 1080pHD quality. And hence, in 2020, we find now that everyone is streaming, with only a handful of us diehard film and TV lovers, trying to defy the trend and continue to view the content we like, in the highest quality medium possible.

While my collection takes up a lot of room, I am glad I own these films and they will always be in my collection.
If I am paying for a streaming service, I am always going to be renting... And well Sir, I donít like it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alister_M (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:34 AM   #439
Alister_M Alister_M is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Alister_M's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
246
1682
19
15
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
The adoption of DVD was forced, when between 2003-2005, studios stopped releasing films on VHS, forcing many to adopt DVD (Attack of the Clones was on VHS, Revenge of the Sith was not).
Revenge of the Sith was, in fact, the last major studio film released on VHS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
rightformula1 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 01:16 AM   #440
kuzronk kuzronk is offline
Power Member
 
kuzronk's Avatar
 
Oct 2016
Australia
171
1162
112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
Revenge of the Sith was, in fact, the last major studio film released on VHS
Madagascar came out a few weeks later.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 PM.