Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Beatles: Get Back (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Night Gallery: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$79.99
13 hrs ago
Charmed: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$139.99
1 day ago
SeaQuest DSV: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Killing Eve: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Seventh and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$24.95
22 hrs ago
The Boys: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99

George Carlin Commemorative Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.80

RoboCop: The Series (Blu-ray)
$36.99

Yellowstone: The First Four Seasons (Blu-ray)
$74.96

The Umbrella Academy: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
20 hrs ago
Nana: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 04-20-2022, 02:48 PM   #841
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2018
somewhere

Still excited for this show
Thanks given by:
mwynn (04-22-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #842
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2018

Series tie in covers for the LOTR books:

Thanks given by:
mwynn (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 01:36 AM   #843
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2020
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farerb View Post
Series tie in covers for the LOTR books:

I'll stick with the ones I've got, thanks.
Thanks given by:
aircarter15 (05-19-2022), RayRoy (04-22-2022), Schwartzy (04-23-2022), theusher (04-25-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #844
Special Member

Jan 2020
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1581 View Post
I think this video has some good points, it's not hate filled or hyperbolic. Just a valid perspective.https://youtu.be/Tv9u9Nwi6Y4
Honestly though I think Jacksons films do clearly look to modernise the material in some ways. Most obviously Arwen is made a much more proactive character who takes Glorfindels role in Fellowship and has a presence after that rather than just being a waiting romantic interest for Aragorn. I would say Eowyen as well whilst obviously Tolkien did have her as an action role posing as a man Jacksons films shift her towards being more proactive before that.

A big difference as well is that with LOTR your dealing with a pretty complete story, with this series your only dealing with a very basic outline of the story.

My feeling is there is a very loud right wing minority on the net who are totally driven by politics the same as there is a liberal media one who is much the same. The vast majority of audiences just care about quality of product, if a film/show is "woke" and good it will likely be sucessful, if it is "woke" and bad then its less likely to be.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #845
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless View Post
Honestly though I think Jacksons films do clearly look to modernise the material in some ways. Most obviously Arwen is made a much more proactive character who takes Glorfindels role in Fellowship and has a presence after that rather than just being a waiting romantic interest for Aragorn. I would say Eowyen as well whilst obviously Tolkien did have her as an action role posing as a man Jacksons films shift her towards being more proactive before that.

A big difference as well is that with LOTR your dealing with a pretty complete story, with this series your only dealing with a very basic outline of the story.

My feeling is there is a very loud right wing minority on the net who are totally driven by politics the same as there is a liberal media one who is much the same. The vast majority of audiences just care about quality of product, if a film/show is "woke" and good it will likely be sucessful, if it is "woke" and bad then its less likely to be.
I mostly agree with you here. But, quite a few of the complaints arenít directed at woke elements per se but clear design issues and the look and feel of what weíve seen so far.

The problem of course is that the extremes are the loudest. If one dares to question how a dark skinned dwarf came to be then they are automatically racist or whatever. Itís a fair question, IMO. As others have pointed out, there are other races that could have easily been used to inject some different ethnic characters into the show. Like the Haradrim, for example. And the female dwarf has no beardÖ.. what happened there?

Youíre right that a good show is a good show. This one just has a lot of red flags already and they are NOT all woke based red flags.
Thanks given by:
Moonlight Shadow (05-18-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #846
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretiem View Post
Still excited for this show
I will add it to my list and give it a shot. If I like it I will happily talk about it. If I do not like it, on to the next thing. Way to much content to spend time on things I do not enjoy.

Last edited by mwynn; 04-22-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Thanks given by:
John1701D (04-22-2022), LeftHandedGuitarist (04-25-2022), oneway23 (04-22-2022), solarrdadd (05-18-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 11:59 PM   #847
Banned

Apr 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
I will add it to my list and give it a shot. If I like it I will happily talk about it. If I do not like it, on to the next thing. Way to much content to spend time on things I do not enjoy.
Novel concept; considering how many regurgitate the things they donít like about movies over and over more than anything else on here.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #848
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2018

The Lord of the Rings: Tolkien fans share first reviews after being invited to watch new Prime Video series
Quote:
‘I was absolutely blown away,’ one viewer said
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b2081404.html
Old 05-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #849
Special Member

Jun 2020

Old 05-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #850
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox84 View Post
If you peruse around the website that this "review" comes from, itís no wonder someone was blown away. Iím sure they were. They "had" to be blown away.

Iím quite sure plenty of websites and reviewers have already written their review for this show. Five stars. Best thing ever. As good or better than Jacksonís trilogy. Blah blah blah. Uh huh. Sure.
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM   #851
Special Member

Jun 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
If you peruse around the website that this "review" comes from, itís no wonder someone was blown away. Iím sure they were. They "had" to be blown away.

Iím quite sure plenty of websites and reviewers have already written their review for this show. Five stars. Best thing ever. As good or better than Jacksonís trilogy. Blah blah blah. Uh huh. Sure.
I just wonder if these are the same "superfans" that don't even know shit about LOTR and talk garbage like in that other video
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #852
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox84 View Post
I just wonder if these are the same "superfans" that don't even know shit about LOTR and talk garbage like in that other video
Thatís where the good money is parked, yes. Super fansÖÖof WHAT exactly?
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #853
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2008

The Prophecy.

Quote:
I bet the people claiming to not be interested will have the most posts in this thread. Even after the movie/show comes out.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #854
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
The Prophecy.
Fulfilled. All to please you.

But, seriously, we'll see how it goes. This show I suspect will have a good number of viewers with their hand on the "Exit" button or whatever button they click to quickly end their viewing of a show. In the old days, that would be the "Eject" button on our VCRs but ya'll kids probably dont even remember those. .

Its just tough to watch/read/hear more and more about changes that are being applied to a well-established, very well documented story & characters for reasons. But, I'll still tune in.... with the finger on that "button" .
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #855
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2008

Quote:

But, seriously, we'll see how it goes. This show I suspect will have a good number of viewers with their hand on the "Exit" button or whatever button they click to quickly end their viewing of a show. In the old days, that would be the "Eject" button on our VCRs but ya'll kids probably dont even remember those. .

Its just tough to watch/read/hear more and more about changes that are being applied to a well-established, very well documented story & characters for reasons. But, I'll still tune in.... with the finger on that "button" .
The Submit Reply button?
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #856
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2018

Quote:

Not necessarily. Some people like to hate-watch.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #857
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2008

Quote:

These things do not just fly and hit you in the face, why are you searching them out?
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #858
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
These things do not just fly and hit you in the face, why are you searching them out?
Because Im an LOTR fan and do keep up on news and information pertaining to the "IP". There are forums for LOTR that do regularly post updates about various things. Like this upcoming show, for example. Discussions ensue. Nothing out of the ordinary. Is it?

Quote:
The Submit Reply button?
Yes - I cant wait. You are a driven person, for sure.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Some people like to hate-watch.
I wouldnt do that. I will usually give something a chance and then pull the plug or bail on it if it blows monkey pecker. Sure, Ill watch funny or critical reviews of bad shows just for the laughs but I aint watching things that suck.

Last edited by s2mikey; Yesterday at 09:11 PM.
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #859
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2018

Quote:
I wouldnt do that. I will usually give something a chance and then pull the plug or bail on it if it blows monkey pecker. Sure, Ill watch funny or critical reviews of bad shows just for the laughs but I aint watching things that suck.
I'm obligated to watch House of the Dragon because of George RR Martin, that might turn into hate-watch like it did with GoT, hopefully it doesn't.

I have no such obligation for this fanfic, so I'm going to try a few episodes and then decide whether to continue or not, we shall see.
Thanks given by:
s2mikey (Today)
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #860
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
I'm obligated to watch House of the Dragon because of George RR Martin, that might turn into hate-watch like it did with GoT, hopefully it doesn't.

I have no such obligation for this fanfic, so I'm going to try a few episodes and then decide whether to continue or not, we shall see.
Yeah, thats a solid plan.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows