Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
13 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
49 min ago
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.59

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.95
2 hrs ago
Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Handmaid's Tale: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

View Poll Results: Do you think that there should be a purple or UV ray disk?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 5 29.41%
Why Bother 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2004, 08:13 AM   #1

Jun 2004
Default Why stop only at blue?

I congratulate blu-ray for thinking the idea up but i am unsure why you only stopped at a blue disk? why didnt you continue along the electromagnetic spectrum to something like purple (mabe even UV)?
Is there a reason why this didnt happen? Or did people just forget? :?:
Old 06-21-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Developer

May 2003

Actually, the 405nm wave-length laser used for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD is blue/violet, but they seem to refer to it as blue-laser mostly. The reason they didn't go any futher is most likely because they weren't able to produce any reliable and cost effective lasers that can be used for mass-production yet.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2003
California

Another problem is that UV radiation is really bad for a lot of things - both living and optical

Cheers!
DAve.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #4

Jun 2004
Default Re: Why stop only at blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness_reigns_supreme
I congratulate blu-ray for thinking the idea up but i am unsure why you only stopped at a blue disk? why didnt you continue along the electromagnetic spectrum to something like purple (mabe even UV)?
I would assume it has something to do with the limitations of current technology, and cost. Possibly more to do with cost. Anyway, there's a German company who are developing a disk using nano technology, for information stored in 3d. Something like 100,000GB have been mentioned, or more. Though I'm a bit vague on exact numbers. Anyway, with 8 layer, 200GB Blu-Ray in development, I don't think storage will be a problem for a long while yet.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:48 PM   #5

Jun 2004

It might be worth adding 'don't know' to the list. :wink:
Old 12-31-2004, 06:06 AM   #6

Dec 2004
Send a message via Yahoo to WATTS
Default Re: Why stop only at blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness_reigns_supreme
I would assume it has something to do with the limitations of current technology, and cost. Possibly more to do with cost. Anyway, there's a German company who are developing a disk using nano technology, for information stored in 3d. Something like 100,000GB have been mentioned, or more. Though I'm a bit vague on exact numbers. Anyway, with 8 layer, 200GB Blu-Ray in development, I don't think storage will be a problem for a long while yet.
8 layers? u mean 4 right cuz the biggest single layer disk ive heard of is 54GB
Old 01-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #7

Jun 2004

At the moment there are single and dual layer discs, however, Sony has announced it will release 4 layer 100GB discs in 2007, and that 8 layer 200GB discs were in development.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #8

Nov 2004
California

Sony has not even been able to provide dual layer disc I would hate to see what would happen with 8 layers. I have heard of the possibility of 4 layer discs but not 8. And with the use of MPEG2 encoded discs its no wonder Blu-ray is not doing so well in the market so far. I wonder if anyone at Sony even bothers to read anything in this forum?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Jan 2005
Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Sony has not even been able to provide dual layer disc I would hate to see what would happen with 8 layers. I have heard of the possibility of 4 layer discs but not 8. And with the use of MPEG2 encoded discs its no wonder Blu-ray is not doing so well in the market so far. I wonder if anyone at Sony even bothers to read anything in this forum?
Not sure about Sony, but TDK and Panasonic have released Dual layer disc's that are read write. Rule of thumb the less compression the better the quality. Amazing how Blu Ray can be judged by one player from a company that most on this forum would not even contemplate buying their DVD player. Especially when the big guns are yet to come out, I would imagine Sony, Philips, Panasonic and Pioneer may up the anti. Apparently MPEG2 for HD is not quite the same as MPEG2 for SD just like MPEG4 for HD is not quite the same as MPEG4 for SD. If a movie fits on a single layer why would they put it onto 2. If they can make recordable dual layer I think they will be able to do dual layer ROM, for the mass market it may take a little while to get things in place. I suspect if it wern't for competing formats we would have not seen HD on optical disk until latter this year or more likely early next year. However I would be suprised if there are not more problems with HD-DVD and Blu Ray before they perfect things. DVD had numerous teething problems.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #10

Jan 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Sony has not even been able to provide dual layer disc
This isn't a very accurate statement.

Sony has been able to product dual layer discs for record purposes, but has not been able to mass produce a dual layer disc for pre-pressed movies yet. That gets taken a bit futher in that they ARE trying, but are having high failure rates with many saying close to an 80% failure rate for the production of BD50 discs under mass production. So, 1 out of every 5 discs is good. Clearly, they are producing discs. Yet, not perfectly.

MPEG2 is a different discussion.

8 layer Blu-ray discs may be made reliably in the future, but not for movie playback on home players, but for PC recording and storage purposes. Like backing up your hard drive to a single disc. Those discs may never hit the streets, or if they do, may run $50 or $100 which many won't pay... So, very limited distribution.

One user on these forums has already purchased and made a 47GB backup of their data onto a BD50 disc, so quite clearly there are dual layer discs out there and they do work.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:06 AM   #11

Jul 2006
Cross Plains, WI

I have an answer too this one folks. A 100% answer to your uv ray question. They won't produce it do to the pfact it will ruin the dvd. I also do aquarium stuff on a professional level. The bulbs I have on my tank are 250w HQI metal halide bulbs which produce extreme amounts of uv. In the world there are only a few things that like UV light. Corals is one. Human eyes and dvds' of any type are not. I speak from experence on this one. First off it will burn your eyes it really hurts too (I was stupid enough not to read the warning lable in the small print), also any type of disc we are capible of making at this piont would be ruined with in minutes under this bulbs. While a laser would not be as powerful it would be more focused whiich would 1-ruin the coating, 2- warp the disc, 3- ruin the player. It has nothing to do with the heat. The air tempture between my lights and the glass tops on my tank is 80 degrees. after putting a well deserved Chevy Chase dvd under the lights for 3 min. it was toast, not coating and warped to all hell. So there is a 100% correct answer to the question. UV sucks for anything other than reef tanks and growing hippie trees.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #12

Aug 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness_reigns_supreme View Post
Uh, this is a laser, thus it's light, not an electromagnet. We stopped using magnets back with VHS. Wouldn't the laser have to be in the ultraviolet light spectrum? Thats the deadly sunrays that burns your skin and promotes skin cancer.

Yes buy your UV-DVD player today. Not only will it melt plastc, it can toast bread, and give you a nasty "Sun" burn. lol
Old 09-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #13

Mar 2005

yeah its high time we stop using those oldfashioned electromagnetic waves already, i hear light totally replaced them now.
boy, are you a clever one...

hmm, and i should stop buying plastic sunglasses, i dont want them to melt in my eyes... point taken.

btw i hope i beat you to the patent office for that UV-DVD bread toaster haha
Old 09-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #14
Banned

Apr 2006

Some companies are working on a disc like that the hvd,holographic versatile disc, there is optware and collasal storage that are working on such a disc right now. They hold terabytes, google both for more info.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #15

Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick vega View Post
Some companies are working on a disc like that the hvd,holographic versatile disc, there is optware and collasal storage that are working on such a disc right now. They hold terabytes, google both for more info.
they are a completely different technology, unrelated to this thread. they aren't using shorter wavelengths as the means to reach such capacities - in fact they are based on normal red lasers and/or green at most.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
Banned

Apr 2006

http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/08/b...optical-discs/

what about this? It says ultraviolet?! Do your homework

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=241522

Last edited by vick vega; 09-12-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #17

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL

Quote:

Excellent links Vick, bet that puts and end to this speculation !!

Jim

Praise Scientists ! and we thought we were smart !
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #18
Banned

Apr 2006

Thanks Jim can't wait to hear your reviews from cedia
Old 09-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #19

Mar 2005

Quote:
what about this? It says ultraviolet?! Do your homework
dude, what you just linked to has nothing to do with holographic recording.
talk about doing my homework...

still its good to see there's work in this field, and progress is being made. even if it's dated two years ago and isn't from the most reliable of sources... this info gives us hope eh
Old 09-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #20
Banned

Apr 2006

here is some more intresting info.

http://www.physorg.com/news785.html

this site has alot of cool info on many different things

Last edited by vick vega; 09-13-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat