Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 hr ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Magic Sword (Blu-ray)
$19.89
1 hr ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
5 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$79.96

Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.97
14 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 370 56.06%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 290 43.94%
Voters: 660. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #3981
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
Losing your mind would be investing in Hi-Vision. DVLs aren't bad. They ain't the best, but they're okay players.
Forgive me for asking, but what's Hi-Vison and DVL?
Old 10-13-2019, 02:38 AM   #3982
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRider View Post
Forgive me for asking, but what's Hi-Vison and DVL?
Pioneer refers to their combo DVD and laserdisc players models as "DVL-XXX." I own the Pioneer DVL-909, for example, and their last model was the DVL-919 if I recall correctly.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:37 AM   #3983
Expert Member

Jan 2011

The DVL series of players were among the last pioneer models and are amazingly reliable. These were the LD/DVD combo players. The DVD section isn't the best but the LD players were based off of solid units. My second player was a mint DVL-700 which while it doesn't have the best picture was my first player with ac3 capability and is so reliable I still have it boxed up as a backup unit.
The DVL-919 is supposed to be much better in PQ and also very reliable.

hi-vision/MUSE is the Japan only system of HD 1080i video on the Laserdisc platform which had to be decoded by a separate decoder unit. It's amazing how they made it work and sadly didn't take off. Thus only a select number of films were released and are all insanely rare and go for hundreds of dollars per disc. Some of the top ever LD players were originally designed for MUSE playback.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #3984
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Pioneer refers to their combo DVD and laserdisc players models as "DVL-XXX." I own the Pioneer DVL-909, for example, and their last model was the DVL-919 if I recall correctly.
I just looked at my player and it is also a DVL-909. Hopefully it continues working well. I watched a movie last night and the movie started repeating scenes and skipping over large portions of scenes. I'm assuming it was the movie, but I didn't see any kind of issue with the disc looking at it.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #3985
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRider View Post
I just looked at my player and it is also a DVL-909. Hopefully it continues working well. I watched a movie last night and the movie started repeating scenes and skipping over large portions of scenes. I'm assuming it was the movie, but I didn't see any kind of issue with the disc looking at it.
There is a tracking adjustment that can be made to the Pioneer DVL-909 that might help with that issue should it continue to happen with other laserdiscs. You have to remove the player's cover to access the adjustment screw, but the adjustment is very sensitive in that a small turn of the white plastic adjustment screw can make matters better or worse. It takes some trial and error to find the sweet spot.

I am attaching a photo (behind spoilers as it is rather large) that shows the procedure; it was provided to me by another member that posts in this thread, but I am sorry to say that I have forgotten who it was that shared this with me.

Thanks given by:
captainsolo (10-14-2019), MaskedRider (10-14-2019), sfmarine (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #3986
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
hi-vision/MUSE is the Japan only system of HD 1080i video on the Laserdisc platform which had to be decoded by a separate decoder unit. It's amazing how they made it work and sadly didn't take off. Thus only a select number of films were released and are all insanely rare and go for hundreds of dollars per disc. Some of the top ever LD players were originally designed for MUSE playback.
Probably didn't take off because of the absurd pricetag. They are some of the best LD players out there, even for regular LD playback, but are also notoriously unreliable, so even if I were loaded like Bill Gates, I'd still rather invest in some other kind of model.

You still have a better chance of finding a working Hi-Vision player than a working VH8000 though.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (10-14-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #3987
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

So my Mcintosh 7020 which I acquired roughly a month ago no longer illuminates the main logo top panel. Definitely isn't the bulb (there are 2 of them) because they were all changed and what's strange is the panel will light up randomly while I am watching a movie and then shut off.

So I took it apart and found a semi-loose connection but that didn't fix it. Pretty annoying. I may end up taking it to Mcintosh as I am fortunate to be within 90 mins of their headquarters but they charge $125/hr.

EDIT: CD Player also does not work - sigh

Last edited by sfmarine; 10-15-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #3988
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012
On Radford near the In 'N Out Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post
So my Mcintosh 7020 which I acquired roughly a month ago no longer illuminates the main logo top panel. Definitely isn't the bulb (there are 2 of them) because they were all changed and what's strange is the panel will light up randomly while I am watching a movie and then shut off.

So I took it apart and found a semi-loose connection but that didn't fix it. Pretty annoying. I may end up taking it to Mcintosh as I am fortunate to be within 90 mins of their headquarters but they charge $125/hr.

EDIT: CD Player also does not work - sigh

Sorry to hear that man. I had an HLD-X9 that was working great up until a few years ago. I sold it for $1,200 to someone that was willing to fix it. It's hit or miss with some of the higher end players.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #3989
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
Sorry to hear that man. I had an HLD-X9 that was working great up until a few years ago. I sold it for $1,200 to someone that was willing to fix it. It's hit or miss with some of the higher end players.
The guy I bought the Mcintosh from has an X9 as his primary. What a machine and so quiet, but when they break......

He apologized for my troubles and already wants to buy it back. Not sure if I should or not but like you said...when you get into the higher end players they become so temperamental. Player still seems to be playing movies though which is the important thing. One very odd thing I noticed was 3 movies new in shrink all had playback issues at the end of the last chapter. So I'm wondering if it's a player issue or just a crazy coincidence. Films all played fine until those last few minutes. I need to try them in a different player but it's an older one.

Just watched JFK which is super long (8 sides) and it had no issues. That, too, was brand new in the shrink. So I'm hoping it was just a very strange coincidence.

I got into LD last winter and I've had 3 players and they've all had their issues. It's a shame but we're dealing with decades old equipment and a dead format so there is some risk involved.

He also has a Sony HIL-C2EX and a LD-S2 both for sale. The LD-S2 is a beautiful machine but he wants way too much for it plus it's single sided. which I'm trying to stay away from even though we all know that the less moving parts in a LaserDisc player....the better as they are less prone to breaking.

Last edited by sfmarine; 10-15-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
Retroj23 (10-15-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #3990
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

I'd settle for a LD-V8000 because it has a digital frame buffer and, if I understood correctly, the EFM port can be used as a digital audio out with a converter
Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM   #3991
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
I'd settle for a LD-V8000 because it has a digital frame buffer and, if I understood correctly, the EFM port can be used as a digital audio out with a converter
And what is all that going to do for you?
Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM   #3992
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
The guy I bought the Mcintosh from has an X9 as his primary. What a machine and so quiet, but when they break......He apologized for my troubles and already wants to buy it back. Not sure if I should or not but like you said...when you get into the higher end players they become so temperamental. Player still seems to be playing movies though which is the important thing. One very odd thing I noticed was 3 movies new in shrink all had playback issues at the end of the last chapter. So I'm wondering if it's a player issue or just a crazy coincidence. Films all played fine until those last few minutes. I need to try them in a different player but it's an older one.

Just watched JFK which is super long (8 sides) and it had no issues. That, too, was brand new in the shrink. So I'm hoping it was just a very strange coincidence.

I got into LD last winter and I've had 3 players and they've all had their issues. It's a shame but we're dealing with decades old equipment and a dead format so there is some risk involved.

He also has a Sony HIL-C2EX and a LD-S2 both for sale. The LD-S2 is a beautiful machine but he wants way too much for it plus it's single sided. which I'm trying to stay away from even though we all know that the less moving parts in a LaserDisc player....the better as they are less prone to breaking.
You're throwing good money after bad! Buying into a 40 old technology is bound to have various issues, which shouldn't come to no surprise, and it's to be expected. A person doesn't buy a 30 year old vehicle and doesn't expect to encounter any mechanical problems with it because the vehicle is old, and it's been well driven.

Last edited by slimdude; Yesterday at 12:32 PM.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (Today)
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #3993
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I am up to 368 LaserDiscs now. Turning into an addiction.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #3994
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
One very odd thing I noticed was 3 movies new in shrink all had playback issues at the end of the last chapter. So I'm wondering if it's a player issue or just a crazy coincidence. Films all played fine until those last few minutes. I need to try them in a different player but it's an older one.

I never quite understood the obsession (well, maybe not "obsession", but "obsession-adjacent") with buying still-sealed LDs, at least now that they're not straight off the press new.

If they're still sealed, they haven't been played before, and you have no idea if they're rotten or have other playback issues. You can be assured that they don't have egregious scratches, but in my day I've bought used LDs that were so scuffed that they looked like they were used for shuffleboard pucks, and still played fine.

I doubt that the chances of rot in a 20-30 year old LD are going to be any different in a sealed vs unsealed disc. But at least you can have reasonable faith that an unsealed LD wasn't rotten the last time it was played.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (Today)
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #3995
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Sounds like the dreaded warpage issues. That’s why I try to avoid sealed discs. Some players are better than others at dealing with warped discs. My Panasonic hates them and my old Pioneer is better with them.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #3996
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
And what is all that going to do for you?
Well digital frame buffer offers freeze frame and other trick play capabilities on all discs, not just CAV ones, and the ability to get actual digital audio out means you don't have to rely on the internal DAC. Most industrial players have no digital out at all.

I think I'd still rather that CLD-99S though since the EFM out requires a separate converter (Pioneer DA-1) to turn it into a standard coax/optical digital output, but industrial players generally tend to be far more robust than consumer models.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion