Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
4 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.97
13 hrs ago
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.22

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 10-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #4621
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
Yeah that Netflix button is the worse thing about the remote for me. It needs to be away from the up arrow button, I go into the sub menu and hit that Netflix button to many times being in a dark room watching movies. I have come close to taking pliers and pulling it out since I don't use Netflix lol. I can see the person who designed it with a evil smile saying I bet a lot of people are going to hit this hahaha.
It needs to be away from being on any remote altogether.

I have a strong dislike for Netflix, so imagine how it feels when I accidentally push the Netflix button for the umpteenth time, and the Netflix startup screen comes up on my 110" projection screen. I hate when that happens.

And ofcourse all of my other TV/player remotes have that dreadful N button too.
Thanks given by:
evoll (Yesterday)
Old 10-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #4622

Oct 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
You can buy a ub900 or ub9000 remote. Works much better.
Any idea where i can find a ub9000 remote? Iíve had no luck searching for one
Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #4623
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
It needs to be away from being on any remote altogether.

I have a strong dislike for Netflix, so imagine how it feels when I accidentally push the Netflix button for the umpteenth time, and the Netflix startup screen comes up on my 110" projection screen. I hate when that happens.

And ofcourse all of my other TV/player remotes have that dreadful N button too.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (10-18-2019), evoll (Yesterday), gkolb (Yesterday)
Old 10-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #4624
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor View Post
Any idea where i can find a ub9000 remote? Iíve had no luck searching for one
They're about £50 on eBay.
Thanks given by:
SpinDoctor (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #4625
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
But the UB900 remote doesn't have the HDR Optimizer button though.
It's not a major hindrance, just press the display settings button which brings up the in-play settings which has the HDR Optimiser right at the top. I couldn't do without it, I really couldn't, as the plastic piece of shit remote supplied with these players is awful.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (Yesterday), evoll (Yesterday), ray0414 (Yesterday), SpinDoctor (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #4626

Oct 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania

Having big problems streaming 4K discs from my network with the UB820.

I have a 1gig network, using one of the strongest mesh systems (Orbi) going wired from one of the Orbi sat's directly into the player and I'm continuing to get stutter galore on high bitrate discs over my server.

Speed test is showing 550mbps where the player is so speed is not the issue here.

Anyone having similar problems trying to stream high bitrate 4K over a network? Any ideas how to fix this?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #4627

Oct 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's not a major hindrance, just press the display settings button which brings up the in-play settings which has the HDR Optimiser right at the top. I couldn't do without it, I really couldn't, as the plastic piece of shit remote supplied with these players is awful.
Yeah, i found it quite amazing that i could drop $500 on a disc player and get a remote that looks and feels like it was built by Fisher Price. But if iím being honest, the build quality of the 820 isnít exactly reflective of itís price tag either. I actually preferred the remote and build quality of the x800m2, though Sonyís remote isnít exactly anything to brag about either. Still, at the end of the day i ended up returning the Sony and keeping the 820, since the picture quality was noticeably better with the Panasonic. I just wish that companies would realize that we donít need a dedicated Netflix button or most of the other buttons they try and squeeze onto these remotes.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM   #4628
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Yes, the build quality of the 820 itself isn't exactly something to crow about either. The X800 Sonys feel much sturdier but I think they're cheating by just making the chassis a lot heavier than it actually needs to be.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (Yesterday), SpinDoctor (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM   #4629
Power Member

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

Quote:
Yeah, i found it quite amazing that i could drop $500 on a disc player and get a remote that looks and feels like it was built by Fisher Price. But if iím being honest, the build quality of the 820 isnít exactly reflective of itís price tag either. I actually preferred the remote and build quality of the x800m2, though Sonyís remote isnít exactly anything to brag about either. Still, at the end of the day i ended up returning the Sony and keeping the 820, since the picture quality was noticeably better with the Panasonic. I just wish that companies would realize that we donít need a dedicated Netflix button or most of the other buttons they try and squeeze onto these remotes.
"noticeably better" on uhd,blu-ray ,dvds or all of it better ? I have the Sony and I'm considering returning it but is it worth another $250 + the $200 I paid for the Sony ? Hard to believe . The Sony is super quiet and is almost overkill heavy .
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #4630

Oct 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa5150 View Post
"noticeably better" on uhd,blu-ray ,dvds or all of it better ? I have the Sony and I'm considering returning it but is it worth another $250 + the $200 I paid for the Sony ? Hard to believe . The Sony is super quiet and is almost overkill heavy .
I hardly ever play DVDís, so i didnít do any comparisons there. With BDís and UHDís the playback quality was improved over the x800m2; not that things looked bad on the Sony. But the improvement, to my eyes, was with color and depth. Colors had a bit more punch/saturation on the 820, and the image seemed to have more dimension/depth on the 820. There are actual professionals/experts on this forum (and elsewhere) that endorse this player as well, and their explanation is much more specific and technical than anything that i can throw out there.

I was actually hoping that they were wrong (or at least exaggerating) about the Panny vs Sony. As Iíd rather not spend the extra $$$ and figured that a Sony player would be a better match for my Sony TV anyway. Well, i had both players, looked for every reason i could to keep the Sony over the Panny, and ended up returning the Sony anyway. The 820 simply puts out a more pleasing image on my TV; the Sony x800m2 was fine for the month i had it, and would have kept it and my $$$ if i hadnít stumbled across this forum.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #4631
Power Member

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

Quote:
I hardly ever play DVDís, so i didnít do any comparisons there. With BDís and UHDís the playback quality was improved over the x800m2; not that things looked bad on the Sony. But the improvement, to my eyes, was with color and depth. Colors had a bit more punch/saturation on the 820, and the image seemed to have more dimension/depth on the 820. There are actual professionals/experts on this forum (and elsewhere) that endorse this player as well, and their explanation is much more specific and technical than anything that i can throw out there.

I was actually hoping that they were wrong (or at least exaggerating) about the Panny vs Sony. As Iíd rather not spend the extra $$$ and figured that a Sony player would be a better match for my Sony TV anyway. Well, i had both players, looked for every reason i could to keep the Sony over the Panny, and ended up returning the Sony anyway. The 820 simply puts out a more pleasing image on my TV; the Sony x800m2 was fine for the month i had it, and would have kept it and my $$$ if i hadnít stumbled across this forum.
That is great info and I appreciate you taking time to write it . I have a lot of dvds so If anyone else can chime in on the Panny 820 doing better up conversion on dvds over the Sony that would help much . Thanks all .
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #4632
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'm speaking only for the PAL-region Panny players but they're not very good at playing 480i DVD content, they can look quite jagged and poorly deinterlaced while the Sonys and OPPOs are far better to my eyes. You get no zoom/AR controls on the Pannys at all which can be an immense ballache if your 4K TV doesn't allow AR changes on 4K signals, it means that if I'm upscaling a DVD then I can't adjust the aspect if it's a non-anamorphic widescreen disc.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #4633
Power Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yes, the build quality of the 820 itself isn't exactly something to crow about either. The X800 Sonys feel much sturdier but I think they're cheating by just making the chassis a lot heavier than it actually needs to be.
I've actually saw a Sony X-800 by inside as my first x-800 died and got a new X-800 from Sony Service. I was shown my X-800 by a technician and you're right, the aluminium frame it's built is heavy and also the shell plastic is harder than the ones used on Panasonic players, but real circuit build quality on the Sony X-800 looked very cheap, specially the power supply.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics