Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Far from Heaven (Blu-ray)
$19.98
8 hrs ago
Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Tomb Raider 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #13141
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
It's hard to fathom any logic in "if TCL leaves the U.S. and U.K. then all of its customers will watch everything on their phones instead".

That prediction will be hard to top, but I have faith that Steedeel will think of something even more absurd.
There is no logic involved, just fear.

Hard to top? He hasn't brought up viewing content on wristwatches lately or even vertically framed content for phones. Seeing as I just did, he might be able to work both into his next ominous foreboding.

Last edited by Vilya; Yesterday at 08:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #13142
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I'm excited about the future myself...
It's hard not to be.

When it comes to increasing bang for ones buck pretty much every corner of the tech sector has gone batshit crazy over the past decade or so.

Honestly, my only two complaints about new products are the durability of receivers (my old Denon was a freaking tank, it's hard to find decent receivers that aren't to some degree disposable) and black levels.

CRT had a lot of shortcomings but blacks were freaking black.

That's it. Those are really the only two 'well back in the day' gripes I have. Oh wait, no, Logitech doesn't make the macro keyboard I like anymore. So three things, I guess

It's insane how cool (and cheap) the toys have become.

I'm even looking forward to seeing what streaming has in store. I'm old enough to remember when cable tv was new and I remember back then people theorizing about video-on-demand services. Having instant access to any film or tv show sounded like science fiction but we're getting there.

Some might find all this 5G talk scary but it sounds pretty freaking awesome to me. Again, old enough to remember when Compuserve charged a premium for 1200 baud business class access

I can't wait to see what's next.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #13143
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

5G has the potential to be a godsend for people living in rural areas that the traditional ISPs have shown no interest in. I'm all for everyone having better access to the internet.

My Denon receiver has been a tank, too, and honestly I have no idea yet as to what I will replace it with. It is way outdated, but works perfectly.

Maybe microLED will gives us the best of OLED and the best of full array LED in one nice package? If not, we'll still get there eventually.

Logitech stopped making my favorite mouse, the G9X, so I can sympathize. My computer professional friends say that I need to replace my Logitech G110 keyboard with a mechanical one, but I do not feel the need.

I remember 14.4 Kbps modems and well before that; in high school we typed our computer programs on a card keypunch machine the size of an executive's desk and then fed this large deck of cards, that had to be in exact sequence, to a giant hopper that then read them. A single hanging chad would cause the whole thing to fail. A business day later, the printout would appear after the local university's mainframe had processed what we had transmitted.

The marvels that we have seen happen already are fantastic and more are still to come and they come faster than ever they did before. Sign me up for more; I'm ready and eager!
Thanks given by:
octagon (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #13144
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

LOL, the G110 is the keyboard who's demise I'm bemoaning.

I love it and none of the replacement models quite do it for me.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #13145
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
LOL, the G110 is the keyboard who's demise I'm bemoaning.

I love it and none of the replacement models quite do it for me.
It's a great keyboard and I'm not parting with mine. I wish I could find some replacement legs for it, but I have had no luck. I can find some legs for other models that look like they might work, but I haven't gambled on buying them.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #13146
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
TCL is tied for fourth place worldwide with Hisense. They did hit the number 2 position in the U.S. market back in Sep. 2017.

https://www.trendrr.net/2413/top-10-...s-best-seller/

More recent U.S. only market share has been elusive to find.

There is nothing to suggest that the Chinese brands of TVs are near to being "banned" in the U.S. as you have postulated elsewhere. Even if they were, plenty of other brands would remain. This whole tangent is just one of your made-up scenarios.

Regardless, TVs sales are up worldwide. Box office receipts are up worldwide. Both long form content and TVs are not only safe, they are seeing growth.
It’s not made up. You must know that smart TVs can gather information about users. It stands to reason that if Huawei are banned from the U.S (they are releasing TV sets soon or have started I believe) as well as TCL and Hisense would be included in that as well.

Sure, it’s phones that have been mentioned but the ban would be all smart products in my opinion. If I read correctly, TCL are also funded by the Chinese government. Less competition is not a good thing for the tv industry and don’t forget, it was strongly rumoured that Sony we’re going to stop manufacturing TVs before 4K sales took off in the last two years.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #13147
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Every time we dispute one of Steedeel's claims he comes up with even more ridiculous ideas to prove his point.

I can't wait to see what he'll come up with next
Nothing ridiculous about it, don’t you read the news in your own country?
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #13148
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It’s not made up. You must know that smart TVs can gather information about users. It stands to reason that if Huawei are banned from the U.S (they are releasing TV sets soon or have started I believe) as well as TCL and Hisense would be included in that as well.

Sure, it’s phones that have been mentioned but the ban would be all smart products in my opinion. If I read correctly, TCL are also funded by the Chinese government. Less competition is not a good thing for the tv industry and don’t forget, it was strongly rumoured that Sony we’re going to stop manufacturing TVs before 4K sales took off in the last two years.
It is ENTIRELY made up by you to distract from the fact that you can not supply evidence to support your contention that either long form content or TVs themselves are endangered by viewing shorts on phones.

The foundation to your premise is that Chinese TVs will be banned from the U.S. market and there is no evidence to suggest that this will happen. The rest of your silly scenario then collapses under the weight of its own absurdity. As the premise has no basis in reality all that follows from it is meaningless. You can't build a theory upon a false hypothesis.

Even if your completely fabricated scenario occurred, the top three Chinese TV manufacturers combined only have a 16.5% global market share. The other manufacturers could easily, and happily, absorb that with plenty of companies still left to compete for the U.S. market. The other 7 companies on the top ten list of TV manufacturers by global market share are not Chinese.

As you have no evidence to support any of your contentions, it means that everything you have said is only conjecture predicated upon your own fears.

Where is your evidence that Chinese TVs are likely, or even possibly, to be banned from the U.S. market?

Where is your evidence that long form content is threatened by short form content- of any kind?

Where is your evidence that viewing content on TVs is declining and so much so that TVs themselves are in danger?

Nowhere, but in your imagination, is the answer to all three questions. The absence of any evidence proves that all of this silliness is just made up by you.

Show me the evidence or be shown the door. Don't let it hit you where the good Lord split you on the way out.

Last edited by Vilya; Yesterday at 11:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #13149

Apr 2017

Quote:
Nothing ridiculous about it, donít you read the news in your own country?
Who exactly are these people who are only interested in buying TCL TVs? Who is going to switch to mobile if TCL TVs are not available? I'm just trying to imagine that mindset: "I was going to buy a TCL TV for $400 but since I'd have to spend $500 on a Samsung TV I'll just watch movies on my phone instead".

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; Yesterday at 11:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #13150
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Who exactly are these people who are only interested in buying TCL TVs? Who is going to switch to mobile if TCL TVs are not available? I'm just trying to imagine that mindset: "I was going to buy a TCL TV for $400 but since I'd have to spend $500 on a Samsung TV I'll just watch movies on my phone instead".
I guess California based Vizio gets banned from the U.S. market, too, in this peculiar scenario of his. They might just give up on both TVs and phones and just use their wristwatch instead.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #13151
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Not what I am saying. I am not going to explain it anymore.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #13152
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I guess California based Vizio gets banned from the U.S. market, too, in this peculiar scenario of his.
Whatís Vizio got to do with anything?
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM   #13153

Apr 2017

I just looked at BestBuy.com (which is currently advertising "4K TVs starting at $259.99" on their home page) and the TCL TVs aren't even the cheapest of each size. So I doubt their disappearance would really effect customer spending at all.

There are currently more than a dozen major TV manufacturers currently competing. If 2 or 3 of them leave the effect will be minimal.

Quote:
We clearly have no idea what the heck you're talking about, and we never will if you don't explain it.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; Yesterday at 11:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #13154
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
What’s Vizio got to do with anything?
Vizio is a manufacturer of lower priced TVs and they are completely analogous to TCL and Hisense as they all sell TVs in the same price ranges.

Vizio would remain even if your baseless prediction of Chinese TVs being banned from the U.S. market were to occur along with every other manufacturer all of whom have lower priced TVs among their offerings.

Anyone shopping TCL and Hisense would also be considering Vizio.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 12:08 AM.
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #13155
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
If only that were true...

You will resurrect it again. You always do.

When evidence is demanded and when you can't provide any, you just run away, but you always come back later and just as empty handed as when you left.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 12:29 AM.
Old Today, 04:41 AM   #13156
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
5G has the potential to be a godsend for people living in rural areas that the traditional ISPs have shown no interest in. I'm all for everyone having better access to the internet.

Logitech stopped making my favorite mouse, the G9X, so I can sympathize. My computer professional friends say that I need to replace my Logitech G110 keyboard with a mechanical one, but I do not feel the need.

I remember 14.4 Kbps modems and well before that; in high school we typed our computer programs on a card keypunch machine the size of an executive's desk and then fed this large deck of cards, that had to be in exact sequence, to a giant hopper that then read them. A single hanging chad would cause the whole thing to fail. A business day later, the printout would appear after the local university's mainframe had processed what we had transmitted.
Well you guys know I'm a Wired Guy, and your Logitech Keyboard and Mouse are Wired. I also like Microsoft, so I have their Internet Keyboard and had a MS Optical Mouse both Wired. Now a Logitech Wired Mouse, and they all work great you can't beat Wired.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366015/5g...m_medium=title

So let's talk about 5G, you say it's Godsend for rural areas and I say it has many limitations, but like you guys everyone can't wait to get it. With the promise of more Bandwidth and Coverage, people say they want it now. The reality is 5G is more suited for Cities than Rural Areas, Fixed Wireless is more line of sight and distance comes into play. Both AT&T and Verizon are gearing up to roll it out, for their Wireless Phones with Verizon also banking on Home Internet. I still think that FTTP is the way to go, and Verizon seems to think it's easier to roll out 5G than digging up streets with Fiber.

I too remember the Dial-up Modems and Punch Cards for Computer Programs. Had DSL in the Bay Area CA in the late 90's, but when I moved to Palm Desert, CA in 2000 I had to use a Modem again. I too love Technology just upgraded my computer to SSD and it's fast and solid now running very cool. That's why I say it's all Digital now with Networks and Servers, and the next logical step for Entertainment Content is Streaming from a Server!

Last edited by alchav21; Today at 04:45 AM.
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #13157
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Well you guys know I'm a Wired Guy, and your Logitech Keyboard and Mouse are Wired. I also like Microsoft, so I have their Internet Keyboard and had a MS Optical Mouse both Wired. Now a Logitech Wired Mouse, and they all work great you can't beat Wired.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366015/5g...m_medium=title

So let's talk about 5G, you say it's Godsend for rural areas and I say it has many limitations, but like you guys everyone can't wait to get it. With the promise of more Bandwidth and Coverage, people say they want it now. The reality is 5G is more suited for Cities than Rural Areas, Fixed Wireless is more line of sight and distance comes into play. Both AT&T and Verizon are gearing up to roll it out, for their Wireless Phones with Verizon also banking on Home Internet. I still think that FTTP is the way to go, and Verizon seems to think it's easier to roll out 5G than digging up streets with Fiber.

I too remember the Dial-up Modems and Punch Cards for Computer Programs. Had DSL in the Bay Area CA in the late 90's, but when I moved to Palm Desert, CA in 2000 I had to use a Modem again. I too love Technology just upgraded my computer to SSD and it's fast and solid now running very cool. That's why I say it's all Digital now with Networks and Servers, and the next logical step for Entertainment Content is Streaming from a Server!
Everything has limitations, but with cell phone towers providing service to most of the country already, 5G has the potential to provide a higher level of internet service than many rural and remote areas have ever had access to before. It also gives people there another option besides the monopolistic single ISP that operate in many such rural locales and that usually offer glacier slow DSL service at that.

Urban areas already have high speed internet options and in many instances also from multiple providers. 5G can bring high speed internet to areas that have never had it before. Increasing high speed internet access to include more people is a great thing.

The traditional ISPs have had ample time to expand their networks to include people in rural areas, but it was not profitable enough to motivate them. With 5G, people in rural areas will finally have high speed internet access and they will no longer have to wait for a fiber network that never comes.

Your "everything is digital" comment is so over reaching and general that it is meaningless. Data of all types is digital, and has been for decades, and it does not have to be stored on remote servers. There are situations when accessing data on a remote server is ideal, such as browsing the internet for information, and times when it is not ideal such as when a person wants their video entertainment in the highest quality possible AND when they want true ownership and control over that content. You do not own, nor do you control, data and files that are not in your possession.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 05:15 AM.
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #13158
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

bruceames has posted revised numbers for disc sales for the year 2018.

The key numbers are as follows:

Disc overall was down 12.9%

DVD was down 20.7%

and blu-ray nearly broke even down just 1.2%.

See his post here:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=1057
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology