Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Rampage 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
6 hrs ago
X-Men: Apocalypse 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sing 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Jack the Giant Slayer 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.72

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.90

Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.79

Polar Bears 3D: Ice Bear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

Sanctum 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.96

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.82

Gulliver's Travels (Blu-ray)
$14.84
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
San Diego, CA
Cool Questions about BenQ W1070 3D projector and glasses

I have had a passive 3d TV for a while and now just jumped on a recently expired deal for the BenQ W1070 projector for $594.00 shipped. I am completely new to active 3d glasses and am not sure which ones would be the best to buy for this system. Will I need to buy a 3D glasses starter kit, such as the EStar America ESG6100 RF-3D Starter Kit [amazon.com], or can I just buy the EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses [amazon.com]? If I intend to have two pairs of glasses, can I just get 1 starter kit and an additional pair of 3d glasses, or are just 2 pairs of 3d glasses ok without the starter kit? Thanks in advance Also, I have read that some glasses may produce a red tint. Can anyone recommend any that won't have that red tint? Also does anyone recommend any particular brand of ceiling mounts for this? Thank you for any information that can be provided in advance.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

This is the mount I have, very sturdy and reliable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Keep in mind, you can adjust height at exactly 5" or 14"-22"...not in between 5"-14".
Thanks given by:
XXXsdesdeXXX (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

These are the glasses I have, no red tint. Nothing else required to work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Thanks given by:
XXXsdesdeXXX (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far

I use the EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses for my BenQ 1085 projector.

They work great and hold a charge for months of 3D BD viewing.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
I use the EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses for my BenQ 1085 projector.

They work great and hold a charge for months of 3D BD viewing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I also have this projector and just bought a pair of these for $33 each off eBay. I've been using incrediSonics which are nice, but I'm sure the EStars are better.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2017

How do owners of this projector feel about the 3D?
I own it but feel a bit let down with the 3D compared to my TV,how much do the glasses come into how good the 3D is?

I bought four pair of apeman glasses,Iím wondering if Benqís will actually make much difference?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #7

Mar 2017

I've had 2 benq pj's, a 1070 and a 3050. they're both 144hz and the color wheel spins faster than other dlp PJ's. I've tried a lot of glasses and have found that any glasses claiming they can do multiple Hz, 96, 120, 144 are not totally compatible with benq pj's. actual benq glasses work by far the best. I've tried the cheaper pop offs that look identical but they have the same problems. benq glasses are expensive and hard to get but there worth it. there battery life and run duration alone make them worth the effort. if you want to try something more affordable make sure they are dedicated 144hz glasses. you could get lucky. I didn't.
also try and keep in mind that depending on how big your screen is and how close you're sitting to it makes a difference. the closer you are the harder it is to tell what's in the frame and what's coming out. try watching Journey to the center of the earth.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2017

It says my glasses are 144hz.
I guess it makes sense that Benqís own would be better than compatible ones but as you say,they are pricey.

I mean itís not like The I ones I have are bad,itís just I feel they could/should be a bit better.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #9

Aug 2009
England

Iíve got 4 pairs of DGD5 BenQ glasses. Iíve had no problems and think the 3D looks great on my W1070.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
5phant

You can easily find a ceiling mount for this projector on Amazon.

Please check https://www.amazon.com/Projector-Cei.../dp/B019I6L2C6
Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #11

Sep 2018
Cork, Ireland
Default Recommended 3D glasses for Benq?

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to the world of home theatre 3D, but my new set up is 3D 'ready' (both my player and projector offer decent 3D, apparently), so figured I may as well take advantage of the technology My projector is the BenQ W1700 (or the BenQ HT2550 as it's known in the states), and most websites are listing the BenQ 3D glasses as out of stock. Are there decent alternatives to the official BenQ glasses? There seems to be options on DLP Link Glasses on amazon, but I'd like to get decent ones so I can convince my wife that picking up a pile of 3D discs is a solid investment

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Jun 2016
New Jersey

I have a BenQ 3050 and have had good results with these:
https://www.amazon.com/Emgreat-G15-D.../dp/B00OUKQ4WE
and these
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Clear-R.../dp/B00KUIYUP8
Thanks given by:
The Beast Within (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #13

Sep 2018
Cork, Ireland

Thanks man, will read some reviews and make a decision!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

Feb 2013
Akron, Ohio

The Beast Within,

I have an Optoma HD25E projector with an Optoma BC100 3d emitter attached. I've purchased EStar America ESG6000 RF-3D Glasses on Ebay for reasonable prices (my last purchase was 6 pair @ $20 each- I made an offer and they accepted!).

These are active glasses and they provide a much better picture than passive ones. You'll have to be careful on selecting a 3d emitter and make sure the glasses you purchase are compatible.

Good Luck!

P.S. 3D discs can be purchased on sale for very good prices- Zavvi, AmazonUK, etc.

P.P.S. IGNORE THE ABOVE!!!!! I was looking at your projector manual- there is no 3D sync input- so you'll want to check how your 3D signal is emitted (i.e. you may not be able to use active glasses that use blutooth or Zigbee- my glasses use zigbee).

Last edited by lucasatakros; 11-16-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #15

Sep 2018
Cork, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasatakros View Post
The Beast Within,

I have an Optoma HD25E projector with an Optoma BC100 3d emitter attached. I've purchased EStar America ESG6000 RF-3D Glasses on Ebay for reasonable prices (my last purchase was 6 pair @ $20 each- I made an offer and they accepted!).

These are active glasses and they provide a much better picture than passive ones. You'll have to be careful on selecting a 3d emitter and make sure the glasses you purchase are compatible.

Good Luck!

P.S. 3D discs can be purchased on sale for very good prices- Zavvi, AmazonUK, etc.

P.P.S. IGNORE THE ABOVE!!!!! I was looking at your projector manual- there is no 3D sync input- so you'll want to check how your 3D signal is emitted (i.e. you may not be able to use active glasses that use blutooth or Zigbee- my glasses use zigbee).
Damn, I thought the projector would simply synch with the glasses... As I said, a newb to this. I'll need to do a bit of research so on how it actually works.

Yeah, I went looking on amazon and was amazed to see so many great 3D titles at discount prices. I'll go watch a tutorial or something and see if I can find out how to get set up. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #16

Sep 2017
Default 3D playback issue (BenQ W1070)

I have had a BenQ W1070 projector since early 2015 and have noticed an issue during 3D BluRay playback. 2D playback is not affected. I cannot be sure whether this is something that has only relatively recently started happening or whether it's always been there and now I've seen it I canít unsee it. A friend couldn't initially see what I was referring to, so it is quite subtle.

It's difficult to describe but essentially what I am seeing is like a band, or strip, at the top of the image, which is very slightly darker than the rest of the image. In fact it is so subtle I am not entirely sure it is darker as such, but just different in some way. It is almost as if the top portion of the image is at a slightly different brightness setting, but not otherwise distorted. It is only visible in certain scenes and how noticeable it is depends on the scene. I haven't been able to ascertain precisely when it appears but the darker, or greyer, the scene, the more likely it is that you will see this band. It doesn't come and go as such; if it's present in a scene it will always be present in that scene and if it's not (e.g. in a bright / colourful / daylight scene) then it will never be there.

I am projecting onto a 106 inch screen and the band is probably about four inches thick and runs the entire top length of the image. If the aspect ratio is any wider than 16:9, such that there are black bars above and below the image, so covering the area that would otherwise be affected, the issue does not arise (or is at least not visible).

I've recently started watching a lot of 3D content and would like to get the issue resolved. I just don't have a clue what could be causing it. It's not a player issue (I have tried my PS3, PS4, Panasonic BluRay player and the issue occurs in each case). Might it be an HDMI cable issue? I don't currently have a spare HDMI that is long enough for me to test this, but I had thought that an HDMI cable either worked or it didn't, so a faulty cable wouldn't be the likely cause. It's not an issue with the 3D glasses because you can see it without the glasses as well.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Edit: I've tried to take a photo of the issue. You can see the faint strip I'm referring to here at the top of the image (below the thinner black strip which is part of the image being projected). You can see it's rather faint but still noticeable. The vertical bands appear in the photo only; you can't see them in real life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projector.jpg (6.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by chrisp32; 05-14-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #17

Oct 2014

Hi Chris,

It's a toughie, and at least on the surface sounds hardware related.

Now that said, this is what I would try:

The HDMI output from a 3-D bluray player uses frame packing and requires double the bandwidth of a standard 1080p 2-D bluray.. Hence the HDMI 1.4 standards.

Try a new HDMI 1.4 or higher certified cable and see if that resolves things.

Feed a non frame packed 3D source to the projector (a side by side squeezed encoded 3-D source is the most prevalent out there). The reason for this test is because from a storage, bandwidth, and delivery aspect, it is the same as a 2-D bluray but is a good way to test the 3-D without using the double bandwidth HDMI 1.4 standards.

A good example of a side by side squeezed video:
Play the video full screen and manually activate the 3-D on the projector via the remote's 3D mode button. "SBS"

Depending on what kind of hardware you have, see if you can feed a side by side squeezed image or video to your projector at 23.976hz, and also at 59.94hz. DLP tech can run at various refresh rates, and some 3D projectors with 60hz (59.94) material run at 120hz, while 24fps (23.976) material runs at 144hz. This could tell you if the issue is specific to the color wheel speed and could also be why the issue isn't present with 2D. The BenQ can operate at a variety of refresh rates, which also effects the color wheel speed.

The above may or may not help track things down, but I would try a different cable first.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #18

Sep 2017

Many thanks for this!

I will try a new cable first to see whether that resolves the issue, and if not I will follow your other recommendations (to the extent my non-tech-savvy self can manage it!). I'll have to buy a new cable but they're not expensive.

My projector is still under warranty so it may be that ultimately I have to rely on that, but I had hoped to find a solution without sending it in for repair. Because it's quite subtle and not visible in every scene, I was concerned that if I sent it in for repair they would just say they couldn't see what I was referring to and send it back without doing anything.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors