Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Waterworld 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74
19 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.89

Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.90

Cinderella 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Breakthrough 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
7 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

The Witch 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Dynasties 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Crank 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #9441
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I have read many of this author's articles about LG and OLED TVs, all very seriously exagerated. I've posted my respecful replies and they have never gone live. I've also written to the publisher several times and have never had a reply.

LG and OLED is alive and well and LG has very agressive plans on the continued growth that are not changing. This year we'll see 88" 8K LG OLED TVs and for 2020 LG's new OLED factory will be in full swing.

Last edited by Robert Zohn; 05-15-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
Gillietalls (05-16-2019), gkolb (05-16-2019), mrtickleuk (05-16-2019), sapiendut (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #9442
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Canada

Your info and mine are identical. It doesn’t make sense for LG to stop OLED as they essentially supply the entire world’s worth of OLED ready to use panels and OLED screen components (in the case of the upcoming Panasonic GZ2000 series)
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #9443
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Did you guys read the full article Paul just posted earlier this morning?

Please do, here it is again:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/fear-a...arket-squeeze/

After reading it in full you'll have a much better picture of the real situation.
OLED is with us for few more years; I wouldn't sweat it.
Technologies and innovations are always advancing; nothing last forever if you cannot develop in this increasingly competitive market. Just read the complete article and see what you make of it...OLED TV owners and dealers.

Me I'm happy today. I'm not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow can take care of itself without me worrying today.

And yes, the article is brand new from this morning...freshly released.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 05-16-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Thanks given by:
lgans316 (05-16-2019), PaulGo (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #9444
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

I remember (as most of you) Panasonic Plasma TVs which I though delivered an outstanding picture. Due to economic and technical reasons Panasonic decided to abandon the technology. The same happened with Samsung DLP TVs. All technologies have a life span (even CRT TVs).
Thanks given by:
lgans316 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #9445
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Canada

Sure... when there is something better the technology will be abandoned. Currently there is nothing is better yet and all manufacturers already have the OLED production ready for 2020.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #9446
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

I find that hard to believe, they are extremely popular. Even if it was true, Iíll be holding on to my OLED like people held on to their Kuroís. Until it dies.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #9447
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
I find that hard to believe, they are extremely popular. Even if it was true, I’ll be holding on to my OLED like people held on to their Kuro’s. Until it dies.
That's very good what you've just said. In video forums many people are still happy with their Pioneer Kuro plasma 1080p TVs. And how many years it has been since Pioneer stopped production?

I think we are going to see a similar phenomena with LG OLED TVs when they stop making those panels. ...And other brands using those same panels.

The question is: How much more life is there in OLED?
Me I have zero clue...it all depends of how long it would take till improvements are to a standstill, and of how long till other technologies take over.
The article Paul posted reflects in part on this aspect.

HDR is @ its best appearance (most comfortable zone) when fully rendering its optimal potential. ...Highest nits.
If you compare last year's OLED models with this year's models it gives us an idea of where things are going.

Anyway it's my own view, my own interpretation.
I could be wrong and it wouldn't be a cataclysm.

Front projectors need all the HDR help they can get, same as OLED.
And front projectors aren't prone to burn-in issues...only the bulbs...not the displays.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #9448
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
Sure... when there is something better the technology will be abandoned. Currently there is nothing is better yet and all manufacturers already have the OLED production ready for 2020.
As long as burn-in issues remain and light output is still low in comparison to other technologies, not to mention the lifespan of certain colors of OLED lasting longer than others...I'm not interested.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 AM   #9449

Nov 2010
Southwest
Default OLED burn in tested by RTINGS

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test

They don't expect most people to have a problem with burn in.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 AM   #9450
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
1000 nits post calibration not bright enough for you?
Not when my set can do 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaragorn1 View Post
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test

They don't expect most people to have a problem with burn in.
I'm not "most people" - games, letterboxed movies, PC desktop, etc.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #9451

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
DanBa, you should do one of those for streamers and disc players
Sorry, more time should be required, and for the time being I am busy with some works.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #9452

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Not when my set can do 2000

I'm not "most people" - games, letterboxed movies, PC desktop, etc.
When you're spending literally thousands on a TV you should be able to watch whatever the heck you like. If you have to baby the TV then it isn't fit for purpose.

We have a slight screen burn logo on our TV and we now only watch Movies and TV. No news channels, no games, nothing with any static logos.
Brilliant image but I will be glad when we eventually upgrade to MicroLED.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #9453
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Canada

Yes and no. OLED is like a performance car. You can spend hundreds of thousands for a Huracan, and you can’t take it offroading.
Thanks given by:
ROSS.T.G. (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #9454

Feb 2011

Quote:
Yes and no. OLED is like a performance car. You can spend hundreds of thousands for a Huracan, and you can’t take it offroading.
So news channels are unreasonable viewing? I have the YouTube logo burnt into the picture. Is YouTube unreasonable viewing? Especially seeing as the YT app comes with the TV.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #9455
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Canada

I’m actually very confused why YT and NEws channel can have that much of an impact. I use a Pana FZ1000 OLED and watch a load of YT and CNN-style news channel (CP24 channel in Canada). I calibrate my TV. And still to this day I don’t have any burn-in.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #9456
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I remember (as most of you) Panasonic Plasma TVs which I though delivered an outstanding picture. Due to economic and technical reasons Panasonic decided to abandon the technology. The same happened with Samsung DLP TVs. All technologies have a life span (even CRT TVs).
Plasma TV production ended for a couple reasons, but mostly because of CA stricter Engenry Star restrictions as they draw more current then LCD displays. The second reason was the manufacturing cost was significantly higer than LCD panel costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
As long as burn-in issues remain and light output is still low in comparison to other technologies, not to mention the lifespan of certain colors of OLED lasting longer than others...I'm not interested.
Please consider that although it's true that some LCD TVs can deliver close to 2k Nits vs, OLED that is about 840 Nits, it's the contrast ratio that that delivers the most pleasing and dynamic HDR image and OLED is the clear winner.

Only OLED TVs that start the dynamic tonal range at 0 luminance and when you see an HDR image that starts with a pure black floor and goes up to OLED's peak luminance the image pop and realistic look outperforms any LCD TV, even the one or two that can almost reach 2k Nits.

OLED's emissive technology has no halo or glow around bright objects displayed against a dark background and owners enjoy pure black CinemaScope cropping bars and much better off axis performance vs. all LCD displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
So news channels are unreasonable viewing? I have the YouTube logo burnt into the picture. Is YouTube unreasonable viewing? Especially seeing as the YT app comes with the TV.
You can watch news channels, YouTube and other content with static logos with an OLED TV. What you should not do is watch content with the same static logo for more than 2 hrs every day and not watch other content.

The proof is that the vast majority of OLED TV owners do not have burn-in.

With all this said, OLED is not for everyone and cost more than most LCD TVs.

Last edited by Robert Zohn; 05-16-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Thanks given by:
Gillietalls (05-16-2019), lgans316 (05-16-2019), mrtickleuk (05-16-2019), sapiendut (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #9457

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post

You can watch news channels, YouTube and other content with static logos with an OLED TV. What you should not do is watch content with the same static logo for more than 2 hrs every day and not watch other content.

The proof is that the vast majority of OLED TV owners do not have burn-in.

With all this said, OLED is not for everyone and cost more than most LCD TVs.
You can only take my word for it, but you won't believe how much I've babied my TV to still have screen burn-in. The YT logo is on the search screen so you can imagine that the logo is on screen for minutes, if not seconds at a time.
Good luck to the people that have no problems, I have burn-in despite going out of my way to avoid it and going so far as to not even watch news channels or play and games.

As a side note, I could have gotten panel changed as the exchange of panel was approved but I would have lost 3D and 3D on a passive OLED screen is even better than movies and my burn-in is minor and not even noticeable on 90% of content.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-16-2019), PeterTHX (05-16-2019), Robert Zohn (05-16-2019), sapiendut (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #9458
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Try running the clear panel noise app to clean the screen. Which OLED TV do you own?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #9459

Feb 2011

Quote:
Try running the clear panel noise app to clean the screen. Which OLED TV do you own?
Definitely screen burn-in. The YT logo is bright red so it has eaten away at the peak brightness for the red pixels.

LG OLED 65GV

If LG really wanted to help prevent screen burn-in would be to give the user the ability to manually select an area of the screen and then dim that area.
For example, if you were watching Sky, you create a rectangle and then drag it over the new bar and then dim that area. Problem solved.

OLED gives a brilliant image but screen burn is a major pain.
I had a plasma screen for 10 years and had no problems and I was using it as a computer monitor. If I used my OLED as a computer monitor I'd destroy it in a month.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #9460
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:

Please consider that although it's true that some LCD TVs can deliver close to 2k Nits vs, OLED that is about 840 Nits, it's the contrast ratio that that delivers the most pleasing and dynamic HDR image and OLED is the clear winner.

Only OLED TVs that start the dynamic tonal range at 0 luminance and when you see an HDR image that starts with a pure black floor and goes up to OLED's peak luminance the image pop and realistic look outperforms any LCD TV, even the one or two that can almost reach 2k Nits.

OLED's emissive technology has no halo or glow around bright objects displayed against a dark background and owners enjoy pure black CinemaScope cropping bars and much better off axis performance vs. all LCD displays.
While good contrast is a fundamental cornerstone in getting good HDR, it's disingenuous to claim that it is the only thing needed for good HDR because it's a system built that is built around absolute luminance. That's a fact, and all these things like dynamic metadata and HDR Optimisers are merely agents of compromise when you really stand back and analyse them.

The same is very much true in the reverse though, that it's not solely about high luminance either, and contrast is perhaps still the most important part of the equation but this is why having a combination of great contrast and great brightness unfettered by ASBL and ABL is the utimate goal for HDR and is why I wouldn't trade my ZD9 for anything right now; I'd rather have good contrast and great luminance rather than great contrast and good luminance. Of course it's flawed up the wazoo, it's an LCD TV, but time after time after time I keep watching stuff on it and it still takes my breath away (do I get a point for a Top Gun reference?), it's extraordinary how over-engineered this TV was at the time.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (05-16-2019), gkolb (05-16-2019), INdetectableMAN (05-16-2019), PaulGo (05-16-2019), PeterTHX (05-16-2019), Robert Zohn (05-16-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology