Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
65 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.12
2 hrs ago
Enter the Video Store: Empire of Screams (Blu-ray)
$70.59
16 hrs ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.20
1 hr ago
Hackers 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
16 hrs ago
The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
3 hrs ago
Avatar: The Way of Water (Blu-ray)
$24.96
15 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 day ago
Rio Bravo 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
16 hrs ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Ronin 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Lover 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
 
The Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default Need help with my new drive

I bought a Liteon Model DH-4O1S-11 Blu Ray ROM drive and I'm having some trouble getting it to recognize a Blu Ray disc. My question is, I know I need to purchase either PowerDVD or WinDVD to play the disc but can Windows XP read the file format of the disc? Right now when I insert a blu ray disk and double click on the drive, I get an error that says either the disc is corrupt or Windows doesn't recognize the file format. Is this normal?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
dadkins dadkins is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
dadkins's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Hercules, CA
35
2
Default

Older discs *may* display some information, but cannot be read.
Didn't the drive come with playback software?

I recommend ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre if you plan on buying:
http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediatheatre/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

No, I bought it from NewEgg and, although they show you a PowerDVD disc it doesn't come with it.

When you say older discs do you mean older disc drives or media? I bought a copy of Gone in 60 Seconds from a seller on e-bay. The disc was new in the wrapper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
dadkins dadkins is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
dadkins's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Hercules, CA
35
2
Default

Older Blu-ray Discs.
They may or may not display some sort of information in "My Computer".

Best to get a player software of some sort and have a go at it -

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediatheatre/

See what the trial does.
I *think* it will play BDs during the trial.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

I'm having a friend try the disc in her PS3 to make sure the disc isn't the problem. I'm concerned that it's not a disc issue. I loaded the trial version of PowerDVD and I get "No disc in drive" when I choose the blu ray drive. I spent some quality time in a chat sesssion with Liteon yesterday and they didn't have an answer.

I also tried the drive in another computer with the same result. I should be able to put a blu ray disc in the drive and the icon for the drive should change in My Computer, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

UPDATE: I took the drive with me to work and plugged it into another box running XP and I had the same issues. I plugged it into a Vista box and no problems!


Anyone know anything about Windows XP and blu ray?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
dadkins dadkins is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
dadkins's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Hercules, CA
35
2
Default

Not with add-on drives, but my AR190G is running XP MCE 2005.
Not sure if the MCE has anything to do with it or not.
Do you have all the updates for XP? SP2? SP3?

Maybe something here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

Yeah, I'm running XP Pro Sp3 and I'm fully patched.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
McBain McBain is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2006
Default

XP does not recognize the UDF 2.5 file system (used by BD-ROM movie discs). Vista does natively but you need a third party driver for XP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

Got it! McBain is correct. I did this.....

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15597

The Toshiba UDF 2.5 driver worked. Now if I can find a Codec that works.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBLU View Post
I bought a Liteon Model DH-4O1S-11 Blu Ray ROM drive and I'm having some trouble getting it to recognize a Blu Ray disc. My question is, I know I need to purchase either PowerDVD or WinDVD to play the disc but can Windows XP read the file format of the disc? Right now when I insert a blu ray disk and double click on the drive, I get an error that says either the disc is corrupt or Windows doesn't recognize the file format. Is this normal?
This is normal - a double click will attempt to open the disc for reading, a right click and the click explore will allow you to look at the contents of the disc but if you click on any of them you will get the same message. Go ahead and get WINDVD 9 or TMT. I own the same drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBLU View Post
Got it! McBain is correct. I did this.....

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15597

The Toshiba UDF 2.5 driver worked. Now if I can find a Codec that works.....
That toshiba driver is made for the X-box 360 HD-DVD Drive. I had one of those attached to my PC before. What are the specs for your PC. I'm A+ Certified.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBLU View Post
I'm having a friend try the disc in her PS3 to make sure the disc isn't the problem. I'm concerned that it's not a disc issue. I loaded the trial version of PowerDVD and I get "No disc in drive" when I choose the blu ray drive. I spent some quality time in a chat sesssion with Liteon yesterday and they didn't have an answer.

I also tried the drive in another computer with the same result. I should be able to put a blu ray disc in the drive and the icon for the drive should change in My Computer, right?
The trial version of PDVD has BD disabled (I wonder why ) Try the trial version of TotalMedia Theatre - BD playback is enabled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBLU View Post
Got it! McBain is correct. I did this.....

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15597

The Toshiba UDF 2.5 driver worked. Now if I can find a Codec that works.....
What are you trying to do - rip BD's? If not just call Newegg and tell them that you did not receive the OEM version of PDVD BD with your drive (if it was included - it usually is). They will be glad to send you one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

P.S. I have experience with BD playback on Vista and XP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

Ok, no the drive from NewEgg didn't come with software. It's listed as an OEM drive so no software is included.


Here's where it's at. After doing the Toshiba driver the file system on the disc shows up. I think the only thing I'm missing is the codec. Using a trial of Total Media Theater I can get sound but no video.

Does anyone know if I buy the full version of PowerDVD or WinDvd or TMT or whatever will it solve the video issue?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #17
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBLU View Post
Ok, no the drive from NewEgg didn't come with software. It's listed as an OEM drive so no software is included.


Here's where it's at. After doing the Toshiba driver the file system on the disc shows up. I think the only thing I'm missing is the codec. Using a trial of Total Media Theater I can get sound but no video.

Does anyone know if I buy the full version of PowerDVD or WinDvd or TMT or whatever will it solve the video issue?
Sounds like a HDCP issue to me...What type of video card do you have and what type of monitor do you have?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

Right now it's a basic ATI Radeon X1050. I've purchased an HIS 3850. I'm using an LCD monitor but it will be hooked to my 42" Toshiba 1080p TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBLU View Post
Right now it's a basic ATI Radeon X1050. I've purchased an HIS 3850. I'm using an LCD monitor but it will be hooked to my 42" Toshiba 1080p TV.
Your video problem with TMT should leave once you install your 3850. The x1050 isn't hdcp compatible. Make sure when you connect - that your LCD is capable of 1920x1080 resolution - if its not - back your resolution down to 1280x720. Your Tv shouldn't be a problem at all. (If you like ATI you should have gotten the 4850 - much better performer). What's the speed of your processor?
And are you still running an AGP based motherboard? Finally, have you run the Cyberlink and Windvd advisory programs to see if you system meets minimum specs for Blu-ray playback? (Your video card has kinda tipped me off to some other possible problems - once again, you computer specs - I can help you much better if I have these )

Last edited by prerich; 08-27-2008 at 12:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
MIBLU MIBLU is offline
Junior Member
 
MIBLU's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Default

2 physical 1.8Ghz AMD Opterons.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
UAB Flash Drive vs USB DRIVE vs Harddrive(fat32) Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software vamsilak 4 03-10-2009 02:41 PM
thoughts on the lg bd drive... Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software BIGD 6 12-01-2008 02:02 AM
Drive Help! Blu-ray Camcorders Josef Holzer 2 10-24-2008 02:37 AM
HP pc Drive Newbie Discussion SENIORFINFAN 3 07-14-2008 04:14 PM
At the Drive In Movies HRC 14 03-07-2008 03:05 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 AM.