Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.90
 
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.68
 
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.23
 
Enchanted Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.82
 
The Angry Birds Movie 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.07
 
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Everest 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.63
 
The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.56
 
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Assassin's Creed 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.91
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
Elias1901 Elias1901 is offline
Member
 
Elias1901's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada
Default Occasional Pixelation/Jitter/Stall on 3D Playback??

Hey all,

So. We were viewing my 3D Blu-ray of “Cars” the other evening and noticed something particularly screwy during the scene when Lightning McQueen and Sally are taking their drive through the Ornament Valley. They drive through some puddles, spritzing water, McQueen hits some mud, etc.

Then, along the roadway, they drive through a pile of leaves which all blow up all around them and suddenly there is this really weird occurrence where it’ll glitch slightly (the audio is fine, just the picture) and there will be suddenly pixilation flashing on the screen around the area where the leaves are flying up into the air... not sure this is a problem with the disc or a problem with my player or TV... I dunno, it’s annoying to know that this has this problem though...

We also watched “Cars 2” and while it never had that much of a weird pixilated occurrence, I did observe the occasional moment in the animation where say a character would be driving and it would almost seem like the animation fluidity stutters for a split second and just looks odd... but it is gone so fast that if you blink, you’d miss it. It could also be described as a brief stall in the film...

Anybody know if there’s a fix to this sort of thing? I tried to update my LG 4K/3D player and it says there is no updates to be found... sooo... that rules out that. Not sure if it perhaps is a setting on my LG 4K/3D TV itself or if it is a defect on the disc? I checked the discs and they are not scratched or damaged what so ever. They are also perfectly clean, hardly ever played... if it is the disc, I’ll have to go through the long and tedious process of contacting Disney and going through their defective Blu-ray return and replacement program and I’d like to avoid that if I can...

Thanks!

Last edited by Elias1901; 08-11-2019 at 12:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
br3ttD br3ttD is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2012
2
Default

Sounds like it might be your tv but don't worry. There are scenes in some movies that for whatever reason my LG 3-D/4K tv just doesn't like. A few scenes in The Great Wall and Comin' At Ya come to mind.

In other words, if your tv is glitching at the exact same moment in the movie, you should be ok. If it glitches at random, you might have something to worry about. I'm not a tech guy tho, just going by what I see on my tv. Hope this helps.

Last edited by br3ttD; 08-11-2019 at 03:13 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #3
Elias1901 Elias1901 is offline
Member
 
Elias1901's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3ttD View Post
Sounds like it might be your tv but don't worry. There are scenes in some movies that for whatever reason my LG 3-D/4K tv just doesn't like. A few scenes in The Great Wall and Comin' At Ya come to mind.

In other words, if your tv is glitching at the exact same moment in the movie, you should be ok. If it glitches at random, you might have something to worry about. I'm not a tech guy tho, just going by what I see on my tv. Hope this helps.
Well. The one instance I mentioned about hitting the leaves always happened and was noticeable, regardless of taking the disc out and replaying the scene. The others I mentioned I haven’t re-reviewed where they have their slight jitters in their respective scenes... not sure if it’s consistent or if it just occurs every now and again.

Are there any settings I can fiddle with on my LG to optimize it for better playback of 3D content? Perhaps rid the issue?? I dunno if it’s just unavoidable or not. Kind of weird that something like that would just “happen” with no resolve...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
Joe D. Joe D. is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Hi Elias.

I had to return my copy of Cars 2 because the picture froze. Might be tracking problems with some discs due to pressing. Only a guess.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #5
Elias1901 Elias1901 is offline
Member
 
Elias1901's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi Elias.

I had to return my copy of Cars 2 because the picture froze. Might be tracking problems with some discs due to pressing. Only a guess.
Interesting. Well, our copies haven’t outright froze or halted or skipped drastically in any way. More like slight hiccups that don’t interfere with the film’s continuation. But that said, I still don’t believe that’s how the product is intended to be... it’s either the disc itself or my TV...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
br3ttD br3ttD is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2012
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias1901 View Post
Well. The one instance I mentioned about hitting the leaves always happened and was noticeable, regardless of taking the disc out and replaying the scene. The others I mentioned I haven’t re-reviewed where they have their slight jitters in their respective scenes... not sure if it’s consistent or if it just occurs every now and again.

Are there any settings I can fiddle with on my LG to optimize it for better playback of 3D content? Perhaps rid the issue?? I dunno if it’s just unavoidable or not. Kind of weird that something like that would just “happen” with no resolve...
The glitches I experience only last a split second so it never ruins the movie for me. Once I realized it was happening at the exact same moment during the exact same movie, I just accepted it as some weird anomaly going on in the picture. Was there too much of a particular color or was there too much motion? I don't know.
The 3-D picture on my LG already looks so amazing I don't want to mess with any settings that might spoil it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
Elias1901 Elias1901 is offline
Member
 
Elias1901's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada
Default

I’m just wondering if in the case of the kicking up leaves causing the glitches out pixelation effect is the fault of the disc or if they are all like that. I suppose I could go through the return and exchange process they offer and see if a new disc does the same thing or not...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
br3ttD br3ttD is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2012
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias1901 View Post
I’m just wondering if in the case of the kicking up leaves causing the glitches out pixelation effect is the fault of the disc or if they are all like that. I suppose I could go through the return and exchange process they offer and see if a new disc does the same thing or not...
And it's a lot cheaper than having to replace your tv. I hope it doesn't come to that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
Elias1901 Elias1901 is offline
Member
 
Elias1901's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada
Default

Unless somebody that owns the first Cars film in 3D could scan to 1:08:20 and let me know if they observe the same weird pixelation glitch occurring or if it’s just me... :P
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 PM.