Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Fast & Furious: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Betty Blue (Blu-ray)
$27.37
3 hrs ago
Anna 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Curse of la Llorona (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.99

Killjoys: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Ok so while I still have the CX-A5200 on my short list, I went ahead and grabbed an RX-V2085, which is essentially the consumer version of the RX-A2080. This will serve 2 primary purposes in my main setup: 1) Finally get me into a 4k UHD processor and its benefits, 2) Get me by until I can get a CX-A5200.

My current unit (RX-A3020) is not HDCP 2.2 and not having an OSD with 4k UHD content really stinks. The 2085 was roughly $700 cheaper than the 2080, which is a deal I couldn't pass on so I grabbed one. It's pretty much the same unit but does not have the prestigious 5th foot, and apparently the 2080 has "lower tolerance internal components" (whatever that means). But the 2085 still specs out the same as the 2080, has the same DACs, weighs the same as the 2080, and even uses the same firmware as the 2080.

Eventually the 2085 will be moved into my mancave when I get the 5200. I'd been needing to upgrade my mancave unit anyway which currently has an RX-A1030, but I need more than 1 zone which the 1030 does not have. The 2085 will more than satisfy that and also get me a 4k processor which I've also been wanting/needing in the mancave.

Anyway, so now I'll finally be able to try out Surround:AI. I'm an "early adopter" but "late believer" in Yamaha DSPs, so my hopes are high for Surround:AI.

Last edited by red_5ive; 08-06-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-11-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

So I got the 2085 dialed in and spent the last few days testing out my favorite UHD titles with Surround:AI and Atmos, and wow am I impressed with this line of AVRs. And the 2085 isn't even an Aventage model . Having had two prior Aventage flagship 3xxx models in my main setup, I couldn't get the idea of how much of a downgrade path I'd be going in with a 2xxx unit, although temporarily. But I couldn't pass on the price, and right now I'm not missing the 3020 at all. That 5th foot must really be expensive.

Seriously though, I'm now even more eagerly awaiting getting what will likely be the 5200 at this point as I'm thoroughly floored with the 2085. For reference, my plan is to move the 2085 to the mancave where it will replace an RX-A1030 once I get the 5200.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
I have been using the Surround AI quite regularly, BTW. With the RX-Z1, I used to use the DSP modes all the time but find I have been using this AI setting more often now. It is also particularly good for programs in stereo (Crave TV for example).

I am currently running in 5.1.2 but have decided to add another speaker pair (stand-mounted Axiom M3s) and set for 5.1.4
I had an RX-Z1 as well. I sold it a while back after getting my first HDMI processor. I miss the amps in the Z1, though. Historically I prefer external amplification, but the Z1 was the first AVR I owned that I didn't feel needed separate amplification so I sold the amps that I had at the time. It was a beast of an AVR at 60 lbs! On another note, I still have an RX-V1 (the Z1 predecessor) sitting upstairs that is no longer in use.

I also used the DSPs off/on in all my Yammy gear depending on the type of movie, but I didn't care for the echo I would get sometimes with dialog. I tried tweaking the room size and liveliness but it was hit and miss for me. But I agree Surround:AI has taken over for me. Apart from trying out the DSPs with the 2085, I really haven't used them since in favor of Surround:AI. No echo and sounds much more natural.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #24

Mar 2019
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I had an RX-Z1 as well. I sold it a while back after getting my first HDMI processor. I miss the amps in the Z1, though. Historically I prefer external amplification, but the Z1 was the first AVR I owned that I didn't feel needed separate amplification so I sold the amps that I had at the time. It was a beast of an AVR at 60 lbs! On another note, I still have an RX-V1 (the Z1 predecessor) sitting upstairs that is no longer in use.

I also used the DSPs off/on in all my Yammy gear depending on the type of movie, but I didn't care for the echo I would get sometimes with dialog. I tried tweaking the room size and liveliness but it was hit and miss for me. But I agree Surround:AI has taken over for me. Apart from trying out the DSPs with the 2085, I really haven't used them since in favor of Surround:AI. No echo and sounds much more natural.
You are certainly right about the weight of the Z1. It was a pig to get out of the rack! I'm hanging onto it for now. Going to check with the dealer to see if it is worth repairing (power supply failure). I'm a multi-zone audio guy and that big amp certainly could come in handy some day!

I still run the DSP modes with the 5.1 movies but almost always add on the AI now - just more betterer. Haven't tried out the AI with any ATMOS encoded titles yet; busy listening to all my movies again ("Gravity" is the winner so far).

Last edited by PS-RagE; 08-14-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-15-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
You are certainly right about the weight of the Z1. It was a pig to get out of the rack! I'm hanging onto it for now. Going to check with the dealer to see if it is worth repairing (power supply failure). I'm a multi-zone audio guy and that big amp certainly could come in handy some day!

I still run the DSP modes with the 5.1 movies but almost always add on the AI now - just more betterer. Haven't tried it out with any ATMOS encoded titles yet; busy listening to all my movies again ("Gravity" is the winner so far).
Funny you should say that about the Z1. I actually used it for a short while as an external amplifier, but more for an experiment. I had "replaced" it with a mid-level Yamaha RX-V1800 which was my intro unit to the HDMI world. I had other external amps to use with the 1800 but wanted to see how it would sound with the Z1 amps. It was interesting for sure.

I never did pick up Gravity. I need to add that to my short list. Hoping for a UHD release. Thanks for the reminder.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers