Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74
6 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Oliver & Company (Blu-ray)
$5.00
6 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Stand by Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
6 hrs ago
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Brightburn (Blu-ray)
$19.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #141
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Very nice HU85LA review by Art Friedman of Projector Review.com.

I expect a couple corrections shortly, but this is a very well written and thorough HU85LA article.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:00 AM   #142

Aug 2019

Why the reviewer says 4K UHD resolution of 1920x1080x4 with pixel shifting?

The .66 is 2 times shifting with higher resolution. Is the LG only the .47 chip ?

Last edited by Tao91; 08-14-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #143
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I've already spoken to Art last night and that's one of the corrections we'll see shortly. LG's HU85LA uses the .66 DMD.
Thanks given by:
alinefx (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #144

Aug 2019

vila2k, would you please ellaborate on the HU85LA not handling 24p?

I think there will be some major discounts on this projector once it has settled down, obviously not quite worth the current price, but might be interested in one further on.

You mention 3:2 pulldown, I understand it's related to a display natively not being able to show 24p content in a clean/true 24fps manner, but what are the consequences?

I currenttly own a direct-view 120hz panel (OLED) and it often struggles with judder when having to deal with panning scenes at a motion rate much less than its native figure, hence why the Motion Blur settings are at your command, I would guess.

Are these the symptoms of 3:2 pulldown?

I am pretty sensitive for judder/motion issues, is there a way to minimize or completely erase these issues by selecting a 24p output from the playback device? We might need to look for a completely different projector for a smooth/natural 24p experience?

A video might surely explain things better for me, but I have yet to come across one with a clear message.

Also, it seems like the review which has been uploaded utilize the internal CMS-system in an attempt to calibrate the projector, is there someone sensible out there who can demonstrate 3D LUT calibration results, both in Rec.709 and DCI-P3, not Rec.2020, the projector is not built for that.

I have nothing against you vila2k, I find it very useful that you point things like these out, there are people who otherwise might be easily misguided, like me.

Thanks for your clear statements and assistance!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #145

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venue View Post
vila2k, would you please ellaborate on the HU85LA not handling 24p?

You mention 3:2 pulldown, I understand it's related to a display natively not being able to show 24p content in a clean/true 24fps manner, but what are the consequences?

I currenttly own a direct-view 120hz panel (OLED) and it often struggles with judder when having to deal with panning scenes at a motion rate much less than its native figure, hence why the Motion Blur settings are at your command, I would guess.

Are these the symptoms of 3:2 pulldown?

I am pretty sensitive for judder/motion issues, is there a way to minimize or completely erase these issues by selecting a 24p output from the playback device? We might need to look for a completely different projector for a smooth/natural 24p experience?

A video might surely explain things better for me, but I have yet to come across one with a clear message.
This article by Kris Deering explains the XPR technology well and is well worth a read for anyone interested in projectors using it.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...s-4k-really-4k

Because the chips don't have the full 4k resolution they 'flash' part of the image, shift the pixels and flash the image again ( twice in the case the 0.66" chip and four times in the case of the 0.47" chip )

To quote the article above

"One thing we can say about the new chip and its supporting processing, dubbed XPR, is that it comes with at least one inherent limitation that doesn’t necessarily affect other 4K displays. The system always requires playback at a 60-hertz frame rate, with the DLP chip operating at 120 Hz to enable the pixel-shifting, so there is no native 24p playback. If the input signal is a multiple of 60 Hz, it gets converted with 2:2 pulldown; otherwise, 3:2 pulldown is used. By comparison, for example, JVC’s e-Shift system runs at 96 Hz for 24p content, so no pulldown is required."

Films are almost all shot at 24 frames a second, while in North America NTSC broadcast TV's where compatible with a 60hz signal. The problem was 24 cannot be easily converted into a multiple of 60 (most modern HDTV / 4k tvs will accept a 24fps signal)

So 3:2 pulldown was used to convert the 24 frames a second film image to a 60hz transmission.

A side effect of this is telecinic judder that is most noticeable in panning or tracking shots of when things are smoothly moving across the screen.

HDTV and blu ray brought about the ability for 24fps material to be correctly encoded and displayed at 24 fps as was intended.

Your OLED will certainly be able to display 24p if you connect it to a Blu Ray or UHD disc player that is set to output '24p'

Even in the era of HDTV, broadcast television in the US uses 60hz, so if you watch a film on TV the broadcaster converts it using 3:2 pulldown.

Essentially the article by Kris Deering explains the XPR chips cannot display 24 fps material correctly and have to employ 3:2 pulldown.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #146
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

@Venue, thanks for joining Blu-ray.com today and asking vila2k your question.

What we can all agree on is how does the image look with real content and in Kris Deering's 2017 article that vila2k references, Kris says that when running content and viewed at the normal distance users will not see any of the minor anomaly caused by the DMD simultaneously displaying two pixels on the screen for each of the 4.1+ million micromirrors.

One more item of correction is to mistakenly claim that TI's .66 DLP is flashing the DMD or that it's shifting the DMD, which it is not doing. The method TI employs to get the full 3840x2160 resolution with all 8.2+ million pixels on the screen at the same time is created by using each of the micromirrors to display two pixels at the same time.

Hope this helps clear up any misunderstanding, because confusing anyone who reads this forum to think the HU85LA delivers anything other than the gorgeous pictures is does is simply not true.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #147

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post

One more item of correction is to mistakenly claim that TI's .66 DLP is flashing the DMD or that it's shifting the DMD, which it is not doing. The method TI employs to get the full 3840x2160 resolution with all 8.2+ million pixels on the screen at the same time is created by using each of the micromirrors to display two pixels at the same time.
Your explanation of this doesn’t make sense.

How can a 2716 x 1528 chip display 3840x2160 pixels on screen without the chip moving and the second half of the image being displayed?

Everything I’ve read explains the full 3840x2160 appear on screen ( albeit incorrectly overlapped ) because of persistence of vision - they are not on screen at the same time.

I’ve not come across any articles that claims the pixels don’t shift or flash to achieve the on screen pixels

Even the LG engineer in the Spare Change video you posted describes it as “shifting technology.”

Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #148
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Thanks for posting the Youtube video. The LG person you are referring to is a new assistant product manager, not an engineer and he incorrectly called it e-shift.

Further as I posted earlier on this thread, here's TI's .pdf spec sheet on the .66 DLP that discusses how this DMD generates all 8.2+ million pixels on the screen without flashing or e-shifting.

And finally, here's a few posts by TI that further explains the .66 DMD operation:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/dlp/f/94/t/488958

http://e2e.ti.com/support/dlp/f/94/t/617560

Glad we were able to clear this misunderstanding up.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #149

Aug 2019

Which screen size (90"/100"/120") do ypu think is the best
for this projector at 3m/2.8m (9.8/9.1fr) away from the screen ?
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #150

Aug 2019

Hello everyone,

I purchased the LG HU85LA projector and received it on Tuesday. The projector itself took no time at all to set up but I did spend some time setting up my 120" Aeon CLR EliteScreens screen. Once I got everything the way I wanted, I found that I was very pleased with the picture quality of this projector. My previous display was a 65" LG E6 OLED.

Colors pop and black levels are good. Obviously coming from an OLED, I can say black levels aren't OLED quality but they are better than I was expecting for a DLP Laser projector. I haven't done extensive testing but I have watched a couple of movies, some anime, and played the Nintendo Switch. Anime and anything that is drawn or computer-animated looks REALLY good. Colors really pop with this content. Movies look like they would in a theater and really drives that theater feel. I didn't play a lot of my Nintendo Switch but I did test out the difference between Standard mode and Game mode. Big difference. With game mode, I (personally) don't feel the input lag. Others might but I do not. I tested out Super Mario Maker 2 and had no issues with timing or jumps. I think this projector will be great for the casual gaming that I do.

All in all, I'm very glad I purchased this product. I've been wanting to have the home theater experience for a while now and my 65" OLED just wasn't big enough. I also want to shout out to Robert at Value Electronics for a great experience with purchasing this product. If you guys have any questions let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190814_114904.jpg (66.7 KB, 12 views)
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #151
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

@solal, I would suggest the 100" screen, but 120" is not to large for 9.8' viewing distance.

@el777, beautiful theater room! LG's HU85LA with Elite's UST ALR 120" screen looks great in your application.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #152

Aug 2019

@robert thank you.
@el777 I see that you have a central speaker is the projecor behind ? (I'm wondering if I buy this projector if I will put it next to it or under it)
Old 08-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #153

Aug 2017

Quote:
Thanks for posting the Youtube video. The LG person you are referring to is a new assistant product manager, not an engineer and he incorrectly called it e-shift.

Further as I posted earlier on this thread, here's TI's .pdf spec sheet on the .66 DLP that discusses how this DMD generates all 8.2+ million pixels on the screen without flashing or e-shifting.

And finally, here's a few posts by TI that further explains the .66 DMD operation:

Glad we were able to clear this misunderstanding up.
Each of the links you posted supports the fact that the chip moves it’s 2516 x 1528 pixels to achieve an on
http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/ssnb002/ssnb002.pdf

“Ultra-fast switching speed
—The fast switching speed of the DMD enables 8.3 million pixels to be displayed on the screen using 4.15 million micromirrors”

“The chip used in TI's affordable 4K UHD solution has more than 4.15 million mirrors. *Each mirror is used in 2 positions to create 2 projected pixels”

“it uses an optical device to shift a single imager pixel to create two unique displayed pixels. “

“The TI DLP-based solutions use a DMD specifically designed for this application; that is the reason for the somewhat unusual resolution of 2516 x 1528 for the DMD. The DLP based projectors have 2716 x 1528 x 2 positions = 8.3 Million Displayed Pixels (Full UHD).”

It’s a shifting technology
Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #154
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I don't see the words "Ultra fast switching speed" My understanding from speaking directly with TI's engineer is that each micromirror has a precise bend which reflects two pixels per micromirror simultaneously without shifting the physical micromirrors. No flashing, no e-shift and no moving of the micromirrors.

Your theory may be right and TI's engineer may have been incorrect in how he explained the .66 DMD methodology, but at this point it's just semantics, what we have confirmed is not flashing of the DMD, which is how TI's e-shift DLP chips operate, this .66 DMD displays all of the 4K pixels on the screen at the same time, unlike how the .47 e-shift DLP DMD operates.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #155

Aug 2017

Quote:
I don't see the words "Ultra fast switching speed" My understanding from speaking directly with TI's engineer is that each micromirror has a precise bend which reflects two pixels per micromirror simultaneously without shifting the physical micromirrors. No flashing, no e-shift and no moving of the micromirrors.
Well its quite clearly there on the pdf you posted under key benefits

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/ssnb002/ssnb002.pdf

"Ultra-fast switching speed. The fast switching speed of the DMD enables 8.3 million pixels to be displayed on the screen using 4.15 million micromirrors"

Perhaps you misunderstood the engineer. Its quite clear the the pixels are moved to create the second half of the image and each of the links you posted also imply that.

*Each mirror is used in 2 positions to create 2 projected pixels”
“it uses an optical device to shift a single imager pixel to create two unique displayed pixels. “

“The TI DLP-based solutions use a DMD specifically designed for this application; that is the reason for the somewhat unusual resolution of 2516 x 1528 for the DMD. The DLP based projectors have 2716 x 1528 x 2 positions = 8.3 Million Displayed Pixels (Full UHD).”

You are literally the only person i can see claiming that the chip does this without movement.

Indeed how else can a 2716 x 1528 chip display 3840x2160 pixels on screen without the chip moving?
Old 08-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #156
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

How would you explain how the DMD shift positions and not be flashing the DMD?

Regardless, let's just agree what all of the proof that you offered and my proofs that this .66 DLP delivers all 8.2 million 4K UHD pixels on the screen simultaneously without flashing the micromirrors and that all of this unnecessary talk is just semantics. The end results is you get a beautifully 4K HDR picture with LG's HU85LA and the .66 chip and direct dual laser system is far superior to all other single laser RGB color wheel UST that also are limited to the .47 native 1080p e-shift DLP system.

What counts is the picture this premium UST projection delivers and not things that may or may not be present and seen only on a test pattern when pixel peeping.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #157

Aug 2017

Quote:
How would you explain how the DMD shift positions and not be flashing the DMD?
I wouldn't suggest that - everything Ive read and everyone else seems to suggest each micromirrors move and the second set of pixels are then shown.

Quote:
Regardless, let's just agree what all of the proof that you offered and my proofs that this .66 DLP delivers all 8.2 million 4K UHD pixels on the screen simultaneously without flashing the micromirrors and that all of this unnecessary talk is just semantics. The end results is you get a beautifully 4K HDR picture with LG's HU85LA and the .66 chip and direct dual laser system is far superior to all other single laser RGB color wheel UST that also are limited to the .47 native 1080p e-shift DLP system.
You can say its just semantics but clearly its a shifting system.

The image the 0.66" XPR chip creates is with pixels that over lap - clearly its not a true 4k image.

I find it very "telling" that Texas instruments and the CTA also certify the .47" XPR chip that you mention as being true 4k
Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #158
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by vila2k View Post
I wouldn't suggest that - everything Ive read and everyone else seems to suggest each micromirrors move and the second set of pixels are then shown.

You can say its just semantics but clearly its a shifting system.

The image the 0.66" XPR chip creates is with pixels that over lap - clearly its not a true 4k image.

I find it very "telling" that Texas instruments and the CTA also certify the .47" XPR chip that you mention as being true 4k
Can you share what you've read that "suggests each micromirror moves and the second set of pixels are then shown"

Why would you say that even if LG's HU85LA does have some overlapping of the pixels that it's not a true 4K image. I certainly looks like an excellent example of 4K UHD HDR when compared to all other native 4K HDR projectors.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #159

Aug 2019

Wow, posted a follow-up to vila2k about 24p, hours ago, still not uploaded by moderators...
Old 08-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #160
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Maybe try posting it again ^ or PM to vila2k or me if you like and we'll reply.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors