Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Control (PS4)
$50.94

Judgment (PS4)
$39.99

The Legend of Heroes: The Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
$39.97

Battlefield V (PS4)
$24.99

Assassin's Creed III (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94

Our World Is Ended (PS4)
$43.22
5 hrs ago
Steins;Gate Elite (PS4)
$29.99

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)
$29.99

The Walking Dead: The Final Season (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$66.26
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for PS5
400-499 26 66.67%
500-599 11 28.21%
600-699 2 5.13%
700+ 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #2261
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
It's literally the same thing they did with the PS4. They officially announced the PS4 in February of 2013 and released the official specs, along with the unveiling of the Dualshock 4. They also showed some games in development. Then they unveiled what the console looked like along with the price at E3 later that year. I'm sure they are thinking that it worked the first time, so why mess with success.
I know, i read it in that article above and i guess it did no harm, but its just having it "officially" confirmed with Prices etc. usually makes that wait time all the more painful. On the other hand, the wait from E3 to Holiday 2020 would feel less.

Either way i am excited and tbh, if they have a RTX 2080 level of power IF that "leak" does turn out to be true, 1080p @ 240fps with toggle based PC style settings would even become possible on consoles. That said, i could also see Sony telling devs to adhere to certain standards. Still, should they set a minimum threshold and let devs go wild, OH BOY!

I personally am interested in the following:

High quality 1080p 60fps game capture and streaming up to 4k 30fps if possible. 60fps would be a cherry on top tbh.

Dualshock 5 1st Party "Pro" / Elite controller with same Dualshock type design with high quality components, longer battery life. 4 paddle, hair trigger cudtomisation. Hell, just make it like the Elite V2 spec but Dualshock design

Video capture option to save to external HDD rather than internal

Tbh, we all by know the basic formula is "PS4 but more" with Backwards Compatibility hopefully will also have a patch for older games done by the devs or at least for those unlocked performance titles we sometimes see, just get a raw boost.

I honestly do see a LOT of the big 1st party exclusives and major 3rd party franchises getting native 4k 60fps patches at minimum. In fact, 1080p @ 60fps with some bells and whistles should be a doddle for a RTX 2080 level of GPU.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #2262
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

I wonder if the PS5 will playback 3D? If not, I will keep hold of my PS4 as I can play 3D titles through my VR headset. Iím clinging on to 3D with all my might!
Thanks given by:
BossTweed (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #2263
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I know a lot of people care little about the touch pad. (You know the thing that actually drains the battery) However I still hope they keep it. I use it all the time. Wether it be checking out the World Map, or pressing it to see who I am playing against in Multiplayer games. Itís easy to use. Even for sending messages to friends.

They can kill the light though. I donít see any use for it. The controller design is fine but like ya mentioned make it more robust. Scrap the plastic on the analog sticks or make the dead zone larger. Maybe redesign the triggers & add grip to both plus the handles.

The Elite 2 from MS is estimated at 12 hours from Internal Battery & thatís been tested. Sony should be able to match that. The form factor maybe an issue though.

I donít expect a full console reveal until E3. Just some highlights at the briefing.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #2264
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I know a lot of people care little about the touch pad. (You know the thing that actually drains the battery) However I still hope they keep it. I use it all the time. Wether it be checking out the World Map, or pressing it to see who I am playing against in Multiplayer games. Itís easy to use. Even for sending messages to friends.

They can kill the light though. I donít see any use for it. The controller design is fine but like ya mentioned make it more robust. Scrap the plastic on the analog sticks or make the dead zone larger. Maybe redesign the triggers & add grip to both plus the handles.

The Elite 2 from MS is estimated at 12 hours from Internal Battery & thatís been tested. Sony should be able to match that. The form factor maybe an issue though.

I donít expect a full console reveal until E3. Just some highlights at the briefing.
The light is for using the controller with VR. The camera tracks the light to Interpret movement in the VR world.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #2265
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:

I personally have grown very used to just quick tapping the touchpad to open the map in games that use that and it's so mucb better and quicker. When i played the ssme game using an Elite controller, the smaller buttong used to open the map felt so awkward to access and hit. It just felt bad. So yeah, hope they keep it and especially since they're claiming backwards compatibility and they want to carry on with VR, I'd say both the touchpad and light will remain but they've probably been working on a solid redesign to improve the overall quality.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:42 AM   #2266
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
The light is for using the controller with VR. The camera tracks the light to Interpret movement in the VR world.
They can release New separate proprietary controllers for VR.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #2267
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
They can release New separate proprietary controllers for VR.
That would mean extra expense though. Thatís not really fair. At the moment, quite a few games are compatible with the move AND the DualShock.

It might be different when a new headset is announced, but keeping it Ďas isí is probably wise to break in the current headset with the PS5.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #2268
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
United Kingdom

Quote:
I wonder if the PS5 will playback 3D? If not, I will keep hold of my PS4 as I can play 3D titles through my VR headset. Iím clinging on to 3D with all my might!
Thanks given by:
Derb (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #2269
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Canít. I will be in the trenches with my squadron.
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (08-14-2019), heyadol (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #2270
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
I know a lot of people care little about the touch pad. (You know the thing that actually drains the battery) However I still hope they keep it. I use it all the time. Wether it be checking out the World Map, or pressing it to see who I am playing against in Multiplayer games. It’s easy to use. Even for sending messages to friends.

They can kill the light though. I don’t see any use for it. The controller design is fine but like ya mentioned make it more robust. Scrap the plastic on the analog sticks or make the dead zone larger. Maybe redesign the triggers & add grip to both plus the handles.

The Elite 2 from MS is estimated at 12 hours from Internal Battery & that’s been tested. Sony should be able to match that. The form factor maybe an issue though.

I don’t expect a full console reveal until E3. Just some highlights at the briefing.
What? Why? One of the things I like better about the DS4 compared to the X1 controller is it doesn't have as much dead zone. I actually prefer it that way over the X1's "looser" analog sticks.

Quote:
That would mean extra expense though. That’s not really fair. At the moment, quite a few games are compatible with the move AND the DualShock.

It might be different when a new headset is announced, but keeping it ‘as is’ is probably wise to break in the current headset with the PS5.
That's why you make the DS4 BC on PS5 and continue to sell it until PSVR 2.0 launches.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #2271
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
What? Why? One of the things I like better about the DS4 compared to the X1 controller is it doesn't have as much dead zone. I actually prefer it that way over the X1's "looser" analog sticks.

That's why you make the DS4 BC on PS5 and continue to sell it until PSVR 2.0 launches.
Simple answer. It would be an improvement.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #2272
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
That would mean extra expense though. Thatís not really fair.
You mean like the extra expense every person that buys a DS4 and doesn't have a need for the light bar already pays?

I see most people here use the touchpad as a button and not much of a touch pad. How about they just turn it into a non touch sensitive button to keep costs down?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #2273
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

The thing is, PS5 is going to be backwards compatible, which means the next Dual Shock controller has to have some kind of equivalent pad on it. It's not just a single button; many games make use of different parts of the pad to do different things.

I can't see it going away. Personally I like the DS4, I wish more games made use of the built in speaker though.

Perhaps all they really need to do is put a larger battery in the next model and give players the option to turn the light bar off completely.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #2274
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Quote:
That's because they still use non rechargeable AA's. I definitely don't want Sony to go in that direction. I just want a longer lasting rechargeable solution.
I friggin WISH that there was at least an option for AA battery operated controller for PS5, but I know there is 0% chance of that.

I currently use an Xbox 360 controller for my PS4 via a Brooke converter, and I find the AA battery system so much better than the built-in battery one:

I bought two sets of AA batteries. I keep one set in my controller and the other set ready, fully charged. That way when my batteries run out, I can put in a new pair in 30 seconds and have a fully charged wireless controller right away, instead of having to put in a stupid USB cable and be forced to have a wired controller until it recharges.

Furthermore, when the battery dies out, all you have to do is get a new pair of batteries, which you can buy anywhere and not some special battery, which also requires you to open a controller and install it in a special way, maybe even soldering it.

Also, the AA batteries I have last way longer on one charge than a fully charged DualShock 4. And you can buy some that are even better and last longer.

Untill the battery technology develops to a point where you can charge fully within minutes and the overall lifespan of built-in batteries increases so that you don't have to buy a new controller when they die out, the good old AA/AAA battery system will be better to me. It's a shame that more people don't recognize this just because old AA batteries are older technology.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #2275
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
Perhaps all they really need to do is put a larger battery in the next model and give players the option to turn the light bar off completely.
Not that simple.

Technically you probably could put one in the current space with slightly larger mAh but it wouldn't be enough to make a difference. For that you'd need more physical space. Also it'll add to the already high cost of the controllers.

Nyko released a 1000 mAh add on (stock is also 1000 mAh) that works in tandem with the stock battery and you have a noticeable bulge.

https://www.geek.com/games/dualshock...-nyko-1599544/

Last edited by dyne; 08-14-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #2276
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

Fnarr fnarr
Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #2277
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
The thing is, PS5 is going to be backwards compatible, which means the next Dual Shock controller has to have some kind of equivalent pad on it. It's not just a single button; many games make use of different parts of the pad to do different things.

I can't see it going away. Personally I like the DS4, I wish more games made use of the built in speaker though.

In theory it's entirely possible they could add a software and hardware based solution that allows the light bar to be turned off completely by users but forced on by software that requires it to function such as VR titles.

Personally, i look at how Electric cars are having higher capacity batteries in the ssme form factor and don't see why game controllers can't do the same thing over 5 years later. I anticipate that Sony can do a more powerful or efficient battery for the DS5 but tbh, the paddle mod i use is a wired one and that's been amazing for never having to charge a controller. That said, i usually like having 2 controllers and one would be at the ready to turn on and replace the other whilst it charges.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #2278

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Never!

I just noticed Fez supports stereoscopic 3D on PS4 so I bought it even though I already have it on Xbox and PC. Even if Sony doesn't give us 3D video playback, any BC game that has this feature (or supports the PlayStation TV SimulView) should have it on the PS5.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #2279
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
I friggin WISH that there was at least an option for AA battery operated controller for PS5, but I know there is 0% chance of that.

I currently use an Xbox 360 controller for my PS4 via a Brooke converter, and I find the AA battery system so much better than the built-in battery one:

I bought two sets of AA batteries. I keep one set in my controller and the other set ready, fully charged. That way when my batteries run out, I can put in a new pair in 30 seconds and have a fully charged wireless controller right away, instead of having to put in a stupid USB cable and be forced to have a wired controller until it recharges.

Furthermore, when the battery dies out, all you have to do is get a new pair of batteries, which you can buy anywhere and not some special battery, which also requires you to open a controller and install it in a special way, maybe even soldering it.

Also, the AA batteries I have last way longer on one charge than a fully charged DualShock 4. And you can buy some that are even better and last longer.

Untill the battery technology develops to a point where you can charge fully within minutes and the overall lifespan of built-in batteries increases so that you don't have to buy a new controller when they die out, the good old AA/AAA battery system will be better to me. It's a shame that more people don't recognize this just because old AA batteries are older technology.
I'm sure that battery life was a point of consideration when SONY's engineers were designing the DualShock 4; that said, I'm thankful that they did not adopt the AA route for all of the reasons you cited. For every reason that you attributed as a positive, I construed as a negative.

The DS4 is in a perfect spot for me, in terms of ergonomics and weight; the addition of 2 AA batteries would affect the feel and handling significantly. It won't be noticeable in the Xbox One controller due to its larger dimensions (which is one of the reasons why I hate using that controller), but there is no way to retain the current dimensions of the DS4 with AA batteries in place, and the weight would be noticeable (think Dreamcast controller with the VMU inserted; the weight imbalance would be obvious).

With a 10' USB cable on-hand ($1.79 from Monoprice), I can charge and continue using my current DS4 controller during a gaming marathon (which happens rarely, but is an option). I have a fully-charged DS4 on standby if I deplete my in-use controller (it takes 1 1/2 - 2 hours to fully charge my DS4 via a SONY charger). If I had to choose between a second controller or constantly restocking my AA battery supply, I will opt for the former (although single-use batteries can be recycled, it is simply more convenient for people to discard them once they're depleted, and every bit of waste adds up).
Old 08-15-2019, 03:02 AM   #2280
Power Member

May 2007
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
PS5 Reveal Reportedly Set For February 2020, Ghost Of Tsushima Coming To PS5

Sony will blow the lid off the PS5 at a PlayStation Meeting event in February 2020, according to a leaked marketing email from the console maker. Sony has already shared many details on its next-generation console, including an extensive feature list that includes PS4 backwards compatibility, an SSD, ray-tracing, and 8K support.

Nothing official has been confirmed at this point, so donít put all your eggs in one basket just yet. However, if weíre to believe the murmurs, the PlayStation Meeting will take place on February 12, and will reveal ďthe future of Sony PlayStation to the whole world,Ē with Sony looking to invite companies including Activision, Ubisoft, EA, and more.

Elsewhere, the leak also claims that Ghost of Tsushima is now coming to the PS5, and Sony is also working on the long-rumorued PSVR 2, which will reportedly be revealed before FY2021.

To be fair, a February PS5 reveal would make sense. Back in 2013, Sony unveiled the PS4 during a special event in February in New York City, so it sounds quite likely it will use a similar strategy for its next console. Still, take it with a pinch of salt just in case.

While the hardware giant hasnít confirmed an official release date for its next-generation system, a Wall Street Journal report claims that the PS5 will arrive in holiday 2020. This puts it out in the same time frame as the Xbox Scarlett from Microsoft.

A number of developers have recently spoke out about the arrival of new systems. Ubisoft reckons they will offer a Ďmajor leapĎ over the PS4 and Xbox One, while Platinum Games feels they will be Ďmore of the same.í

Meanwhile, Jack Tretton, the former head of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), feels that Sony will face Ďexponentially more competitioní with PS5 than it did in the current hardware cycle. Electronic Arts has also revealed that it has been working on games for Sony and Microsoftís new systems for some time.
Exact same PS4 reveal and launch lead up and window.

Everyone is expecting and will be disappointed when price point for launch isn't revealed and also details on the console design and DS5, and the news on the launch title games.

Sony is saving all of that key juicy info for E3 2020

Launch window is all but guaranteed to be Late October to Early November 2020.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4