Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74
19 hrs ago
Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Stand by Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
19 hrs ago
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Interstellar 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.30

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Suicide Squad 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$40.00

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 AM   #801

Oct 2012
Brooklyn,NYC

Hello,

V7J7XSUM5UY

Enjoy!!
Old 08-14-2019, 01:56 AM   #802
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

The fact that none of these releases has the commentary really drives me nuts. It takes up NO space and is supremely frustrating.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #803
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
The fact that none of these releases has the commentary really drives me nuts. It takes up NO space and is supremely frustrating.
There's a commentary? Where?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:01 AM   #804
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
first time I've heard of a commentary track supposedly existing
Old 08-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #805
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

And talk of "not owning the OCN" is irrelevant in either case because this and IM2 were finished out to a 2K DI, neither studio were ever going to go back to the negative to rebuild the movie in "true 4K" or whatever. Sony have done this a handful of times, Fox did it for the Martian (albeit from the digital camera files as it wasn't shot on film), but the general rule of thumb is that if it was finished out to a 2K DI then it's going to stay as a 2K DI...unless we're talking Lionsgate and their penchant for using filmouts for transfer which universally look worse than the actual digital files anyway
Yeah, I thought it was kind of odd that Bill Hunt's angle on the review was criticism of not going back to the negatives-- it's extremely rare that this is done for any film that has a finished DI, 2K or otherwise. I think we all knew these releases were going to be upscales from the 2K DI's. The problem is the DNR pass done for the UHD transfer, which by accounts here seems to be noticeably more when compared to the Blu-Ray.

I'm passing on all these-- I'm just not in a position to want to drop 30 bucks a pop for "it's an upgrade overall, but..." releases.
Thanks given by:
s2mikey (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 AM   #806
Expert Member

Sep 2013
Boynton Beach, FL USA

Disappointing to read the review on thedigitalbits.com. Was planning on sending back the Thor pre-order I got after seeing a review on that, and might just do the same with this. Bummer for sure.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:34 AM   #807
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post
Disappointing to read the review on thedigitalbits.com. Was planning on sending back the Thor pre-order I got after seeing a review on that, and might just do the same with this. Bummer for sure.
Meh. An upgrade's still an upgrade.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:22 AM   #808
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Problem with him is he expects too much, its not like every Marvel Universe UHD BD is going to be comparable to the best releases of 2018/2019. As for Thor, I see (ant1010) posted he didn't think it was a bad upgrade. With any of these earlier Marvel releases they represent a upgrade, just don't expect it to be in the same league as Sony's The Amazing Spiderman pair of films when released as UHD.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #809
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Colorado, USA

While the HDR on this disc is well-implemented, the DNR renders it a poor transfer overall IMO. Those frozen, smeary grain fields around moving objects are fugly, the whole movie looks hideously smooth and soft, and there’s next to zero appreciable fine detail. This does not look like the movie I saw in theaters in 2008.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #810
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
Get them now. Don't wait for the box set that most likely will never happen. Disney is stingy in the U.S. with box sets so waiting is futile. And if you want slipcovers you'll have to get them now.
Agree with that. If you're buying anything limited like steelbooks, that is.

Disney makes more money selling these as singles than they would in boxed sets anyways. Plus if they do come out with a deluxe box set, it will be full priced with no savings whatsoever a la today's Avenger's 4-movie boxed set for $149.99 at Best Buy. That's not exactly the kind of release that makes me optimistic about future endeavors.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #811
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofj72 View Post
While the HDR on this disc is well-implemented, the DNR renders it a poor transfer overall IMO. Those frozen, smeary grain fields around moving objects are fugly, the whole movie looks hideously smooth and soft, and there’s next to zero appreciable fine detail. This does not look like the movie I saw in theaters in 2008.
I was thinking about that very topic earlier today before you posted, how can anyone remember how a 2008 film looked like back a decade as a comparison? I can't.

IMDB
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Super 35 (source format)

Last edited by JohnAV; 08-14-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #812
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

A decade? That's nothing. Some posters claim to remember exactly what movies from the 80's looked like in theatres!!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #813

Apr 2018

Quote:
https://cosmicbook.news/content/list...bert-downey-jr
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #814

Dec 2009
Melbourne, Australia
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofj72 View Post
I watched this today. Viewing on a 140" Sony 4K PJ and thought the image was fantastic! I didn't notice any wierd grain fields or dodgy visuals. Could you please provide a few scenes where this occurred. Maybe I'm not very observant of such things?
To my thinking. there was heaps of detail in dark scenes and crisp natural visuals in daylight and out door scenes. The Atmos track is excellent.
IMHO, a worthy upgrade if you are a fan.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #815
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Oh, you can have your opinion on X movie. It's when you're spouting stuff like "I love 70s movies that look like you put the negative through a glass shredder. I like grit, grime and the look of real film" and throwing shade at others for daring to run contrary to that - while happily enjoying UHDs that periodically do anything but look like "real film" - that it seems to ring hollow, and me being me I just can't help but call it out. By all means be our Grain Evangelist, but there are more shades of grey here than your crusading tone implies.
You of all people giving me a hard time for throwing a little shade at people who disagree with me is kind of a laugh riot dude, not gonna lie.

Quote:
Have you seen Pet Sematary (da originale) yet?
Watch the movies I buy? LOL!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #816
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post
Yeah, I thought it was kind of odd that Bill Hunt's angle on the review was criticism of not going back to the negatives-- it's extremely rare that this is done for any film that has a finished DI, 2K or otherwise. I think we all knew these releases were going to be upscales from the 2K DI's. The problem is the DNR pass done for the UHD transfer, which by accounts here seems to be noticeably more when compared to the Blu-Ray.

I'm passing on all these-- I'm just not in a position to want to drop 30 bucks a pop for "it's an upgrade overall, but..." releases.
Exactly. He's looking for reasons why it looks like it does, fair enough, only he's looking in entirely the wrong place for them. Paramount didn't "go back to the negative" for the Transformers movies, locked in to 2K DIs all, and yet they are, uniformly, stunners on UHD, just as they were on Blu-ray. Odd that Paramount didn't DNR the bejesus out of them UHDs, isn't it? And if Bill would care to look at the original BD for Iron Man he'll see the grain in all its 1080p glory, what kind of DI is it that preserves grain in 1080p but throws it away in 2160p? Answer: there isn't one.

If he said the exact same words about Thor then I'd say that he was on the right path, though more by luck than judgement, as there IS some tinkering baked in to the DI on that one and it sounds like the patented Marvel UHD DNR has exacerbated it quite badly, but on the IMs this noise reduction is entirely a post-DI addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post

Watch the movies I buy? LOL!
I take it that's a no then?

Last edited by Geoff D; 08-14-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
sonicyogurt (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #817
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetieMan View Post
The grain management feels like it's been done everywhere, except around the actors, to maybe prevent the wax-figure look. It's weird.

[Show spoiler]This isn't an ugly disc by any means, it's just not great. At the end of the day, I just think people would expect more from the biggest movie studio in the entire world.

In a nutshell, Disney should be putting out the quality discs that Sony do, while every other studio puts out discs that Disney are putting out.

Another disappointing Atmos track, too.

Disney is ****ing cancer. Biggest studio on the format, but arguably the worst for it.
Interesting, I never thought about it like that. Whether the bubbles of grain are a mere artefact or an intentional tool, either way it really does stop it from going Full T2. Whether I'd be as sanguine about the IM UHD if it didn't have HDR is another matter entirely but in any case it does have rather nice HDR and it's when all the benefits - or what I personally perceive to be benefits - are weighed up against the drawbacks that the UHD still comes out on top for me in spite of its one glaring misstep.

That's the thing about something like T2, it's a hot mess not solely because of the DNR but also because of practically every other technological aspect of the remaster (I've said these before so I'm not just scoring points after the fact): blanket colour grading causing fundamental errors, minimal HDR, poor scaling causing jaggies, heavy sharpening, lackadaisical dirt/mould clean-up, zero 4K resolution improvement compared to the new 1080p disc (apart from what the poor compression on the new 1080p disc is throwing away), much chunkier and smearier DNR motion artefacts.

IM improves on each and every one of those areas with better colour (mostly), superb HDR (albeit in that low APL Disney stylee, with crushed-but-not-too-damaging blacks), no kinds of jaggies or scaling artefacts, no obvious sharpening, perfect dirt clean-up and a visible improvement in fine detail over the 1080p disc despite this not even being a "true 4K" transfer (not that it was ever likely to be, which some commentators are getting confused about). Even the DNR artefacts aren't as obtrusive as I'd feared, certain stuff does look rubbish (dust and smoke in the whole opening sequence) but once it settles down it's rather watchable.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #818
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Meh. An upgrade's still an upgrade.
Wel, if the standards are low enough, I guess so. The fact remians that UHD is supposed to be the "Mutss Nuts", the "cats ass". Its clear that some releases meet this criteria - like Blade Runner or The Matrix films for example. Its obvious that Disney is too cheap/dont care to do it right so they slather the DNR on nice and thick which probably works for the non-critical viewers.

Everyone has different expectations. I get that. But I dont think the attitude that accepts total mediocrity or is OK with "a dodgy upgrade is still an upgrade" wil work for critical viewers.

Disney has more money and resources than any company on earth. Cant they just do it right?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #819

Jan 2011
Palm Beach, Fl

I thought this movie looked and sounded great on my OLED. I dont know why all the bad reviews from all the sites? I was actually surprised by how good it looked. only thing of note was the motion on my C8 when IronMAN flew around...kinda choppy but thats LG OLED for you. I cant wait to watch IRONMAN 2 tonight@!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #820
Special Member

Jan 2019

Quote:
Please don't rely on Bill Hunt for anything. I wouldn't ask him for directions for a field to take a dump in.
Thanks given by:
Juan127 (08-14-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies